Oliveto Café & Restaurant
5655 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Oliveto Café & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oliveto.com/
- Phone: 5105475356
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm – 9:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jonah Rhodehamel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oliveto Café & Restaurant
Oliveto Café & Restaurant offers seasonal cuisine in the Northern Italian tradition, including wild game, fresh pastas, wood-fired pizzas and authentic vegetable and poultry dishes.Continued
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Oliveto Café & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Oliveto Café & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)special occasion (95)neighborhood gem (89)romantic (57)notable wine list (50)great for lunch (25)good for groups (22)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (7)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Uneven Tomato MenuOaktownFoodieDined on 8/29/2014In our experience, a meal at Olivetto's is typically a lovely treat, especially during tomato week. I always enjoy the atmosphere at this restaurant, and this time was no exception. Lovely ambiance, humming with good vibes. The table was ready on time, however, our experience started off on a mixed note with an alternatively strangely absent, then obsequious waiter. When he finally took our order, we were informed that the dish we had selected for our main course was unavailable--the kitchen had run out. We enjoyed a tomato/buratta cheese appetizer, but the main course of pasta with tomatoes was rather flavorless and boring. The dark chocolate cake for dessert was absolutely delicious. Overall, a decidedly mixed experience.Special Features:
- A cut above!JCHSDined on 8/28/2014Always interesting, changing with the same very high quality, wonderful service and engaging wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomato Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/27/2014Tomato Dinner! Need I say more! Tasting plate was the best. Plus chocolate and tomato for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old standby....butDonnaMDined on 8/22/2014Oliveto is a classic in the neighborhood. We've gone there over the years. While it still maintains it position as one of the classiest in the Rockridge neighborhood, it has lost something along the way. The food was good but not great. the portions were just adequate. The wine list is way too expensive and lacked reasonably priced alternatives from the excellent selection of California wines. Overall, the evening was an expensive disappointment.
- excellent carnivore experienceeatsleepmoveloveDined on 8/20/2014chef jonah rhodehamel is a master at creating a complete culinary experience. I highly recommend everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch menu needs more varietyarcheplanDined on 8/20/2014I like Oliveto's. Have been coming for years. However, the lunch menu needs an update with more variety.Special Features:
- Best server everSBJBDined on 8/19/2014Our server (don't recall his name) was OUTSTANDING--knowledgeable, thoughtful, great service, educated us & gave us our space when we wanted it. And the food was tasty, portion sizes reasonable (not too much)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grumpy server detractedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014So so food and a grumpy server did not impress our group.Special Features:
- LettyDined on 8/15/2014I could not have had a more incredible anniversary dinner. Amazing food, perfect server, wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunch spot!HappyCustomerDined on 8/15/2014Great food. Creative menu. Lovely service. Well done Oliveto's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- improving on a good thingPalateaDined on 8/14/2014Having dined here many times, we were impressed by the quality of the food, perfectly prepared and innovative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Dinner SpotTuesdayDinerDined on 8/14/2014Our dinner at Oliveto was fabulous. We wish we could afford to eat there more often. We started with two appetizers. The Grilled Octopus was fabulous. The Grilled Peach Salad had some interesting flavor combinations, although the fried pancetta was a bit salty for some of us. For Entrees we tried two The Rabbit was tender and flavorful. The Pigeon was excellent. For dessert we tried the chocolate cake with ice cream, and salted caramel sauce. Sort of a deconstructed Sunday. Also, the Crepe Cake was lovely. A great meal, and conversation was easy. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- TransitionsJuneDined on 8/12/2014It was a quiet Tuesday evening. We arrived at 7:15. We were ushered upstairs by the maitre d'. Such an elegant place! Place about half full. It would have been nice if someone had helped with our wraps (we were two women of a certain age) as they sat us done. A small thing that would have added a touch of elegance. IT was a special evening for me: a pre-birthday celebration. The half bottle of Amorone that we ordered never came because they had none in the cave. Our nice waiter suggested various substitutes but they didn't find right. Finally we got the sommelier to come and he was extremely helpful' Meanwhile our pasta came : cold and uncooked....Everything was taken care of m but I was shockedSpecial Features:
- A good meeting place by RockridgeGJLFGDined on 8/12/2014In spite of a reservation, we had to wait for a table but it was a table by the window. The food was good and the wine list has some reasonably priced bottles. The restaurant is across the street from the Rockridge bart station and thus an excellent meeting place for those arriving by bart.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014One of the best meals I have had in sometime. Very good menu that includes game(pigeon ).Special Features:
- JackDined on 8/10/2014Dining at Oliveto is always a special experience. The food and the service are outstanding. The dining room is warm and elegant. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripiheartyVIPDined on 8/9/2014The drive from San Mateo was arduous, but the reward of an excellent dinner helped immensely. The special glasses of wine were over-priced, but otherwise, it was a fine evening. We will return.Special Features:
- I had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Very good food, decent prices, great service, awesome location. What's more to want?Special Features:
- a bit of Italy in Oakland!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014This is an exceptional venue; fabulous deli/grocery downstairs and fine dining downstairs. Feels like Italy!Special Features:
- Great soup- dull chickengbb4uVIPDined on 8/4/2014The corn soup was astonishing in it's flavors and texture. Sadly the chicken dish was, well, boring. No real flavor, just dull.Special Features:
- Impeccablegfron1Dined on 8/1/2014Our table tried pretty much everything on the menu and not a dud in the bunch. In particular if its available get the charcuterie platter, the squid ink pasta, the pidgeon! and the rabbit. Fantastic server who was detail oriented but not stuffy.Special Features:
- goulart60Dined on 7/30/2014We had dinner on a hot evening so the atmosphere was very happy and relaxing with tables sat outside. We had a pleasant experience. The food was very good and the service friendly and efficient. I have been at the restaurant on few occasions and never been disappointed.Special Features:
- great dinnerkakyslyDined on 7/25/2014we enjoyed an early dinner very much; my only complaint was perhaps that there were some "unusual" main course offerings that I wish were more mainstream (rabbit, pigeon).Special Features:
- delicious!HunterDined on 7/20/2014This place is a perfect gem. Creative food and terrific wait staff. We'l be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOTfanaticVIPDined on 7/18/2014We've dined here a couple hundred times over the years and it is consistently great. They continue to expand on what they do and experiment without going off the rails. The pastas and salumi are made in-house. The entrees (secondi) are excellent. The wine list is a bit pricey but the contents take you on a tour of Italy. For a splurge, ask for the list of their aged wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exemplary servicesNiruLDined on 7/18/2014Although all aspects of our dining experience were wonderful, the service was exceptional. Our waitress paid close attention to the note about food restrictions. She brought out a cafe cordial, complementary with one of the desserts, and gave us the other dessert on the house for the birthday! In addition the attention to detail with plates, silverware, speed of courses was so impressive - just perfect timing and coordination by all folks attending to us. We felt very special and well taken care of. Food: The main courses - due of chicken, due of lamb - and desserts - lemon semi fredo and bittersweet chocolate cake - were extraordinary. The albacore crudo lacked seasoning. Best decaf cappuccino ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTION!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Excellence all around from the attentive waitress, waitstaff, bartender, chef & manager. The food was perfection, the dessert was decadence personified. What a great, romantic place 2 celebrate special events.Special Features:
- Overpriced, overhypedwhitenightDined on 7/12/2014The food and service would have been fine at half the price. Our wine came after the meal. The wine we wanted wasn't in stock so they brought something else without asking. The portions were small. I left hungry. I suppose hard core foodies might like the sacrifice-- of price and size for something well made. But it was just too much. I would have had a better time going somewhere half the price, with a smaller wine list and a more casual, easy going atmosphere.Special Features:
- Special Quality IngredientshiccupVIPDined on 7/12/2014Use of wood ovens always tops at Oliveto was expanded with a Chinese style box roasting an entire pig with hot coals on a metal lid. The meat done with high heat provided a special meal. Our serving was enough for two as well!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014Loved the ambiance and the food was amazing. Especially the dessert. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnvironmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014The ambient room temparature exceeded 80 degrees throughout our dinner. The outdoor temperature was about 69 degrees. Despite requests to turn on the airconditioner or open the windows, the temperature remain uncomfortably warm.Special Features:
- Fresh and delicioushktbklhDined on 7/11/2014Excellent Italian food, fresh pasta and rich sauces. Good wine selection and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- wonderful meal!RickBDined on 7/7/2014great food, lovely setting, wonderful experience, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyllmurrayDined on 7/6/2014Never ever had even a mediocre meal at Oliveto's. What else can be said.Special Features:
- tasty!yumciousDined on 7/3/2014The food here is flavorful, best to order small plates and share so you can sample and enjoy a variety. The atmosphere is friendly and warm, nice for a celebration, family gathering, or romantic dinner. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love OlivetoShopdivaVIPDined on 6/30/2014This is a neighborhood gem that we finally got to try. From their panzanella (bread salad) with grilled peaches and arugula, melon carpaccio and their pancetta wrapped rabbit each bite was like a little bit of heaven. Wonderful delicate flavors that compliment all aspects of each dish. The wine list is approachable and offers a nice variety of wines from Italy, France and of course California and Oregon. Our server, Anne was also amazing..professional, friendly and informative. It's refreshing when the servers love what they do and their passion for food and wine shines through in a natural and positive way. Applause to you Anne and chef for making our evening perfect! We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- outstanding qualitymarkVIPDined on 6/29/2014We love the Berkeley/Albany/Oakland area restaurants. Some of the best in the Bay Area. But I would rate Oliveto among the top. The upstairs restaurant seating is not cramped, so the noise level is hushed. The food is well prepared, flavorful, not too salty. Whereas we sometimes have hit-or-miss at places such as Lalimes, A Cote, Baywolf, Chez Panisse Café, Oliveto has been consistently excellent the 9-10 times we ate there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service; great locationRes2014Dined on 6/27/2014Olivetto is a great Rockridge place w A+ service. Most excellent for special occasions & groups. Also they really try to use local ingredients. Extensive wine menu too. The Russian River Sauvignon Blanc is most excellent. Delicious & excellently prepared beef too. Very, very convenient to Rockridge BART.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014They were very polite to me in spite of my raffish appearance (I work in construction and didn't have a chance to change). Sorry! One woman did seem to be very disapproving (not the server), but I understand completely. Thanks again!
- always different, always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014The menu changes weekly but it is never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.