Oliveto Café & Restaurant
5655 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Oliveto Café & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oliveto.com/
- Phone: 5105475356
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm – 9:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jonah Rhodehamel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oliveto Café & Restaurant
Oliveto Café & Restaurant offers seasonal cuisine in the Northern Italian tradition, including wild game, fresh pastas, wood-fired pizzas and authentic vegetable and poultry dishes.Continued
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Oliveto Café & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Oliveto Café & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (102)neighborhood gem (101)romantic (61)notable wine list (58)good for groups (33)great for lunch (21)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Rivals the best in the BaySantafekidDined on 10/18/2014The Porterhouse steak, little gems salad and cheesecake were wonderful and balanced with excellent Italian wines. As a couple we shared portions and were very satisfied. Service also excellent. Great table spacing and quiet atmosphere even with small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant!DiningBettyDined on 10/16/2014My hands-down favorite restaurant in Oakland. Amazing food, fabulous wine list, excellent service, and the ambience is perfect for a special occasion. Vegetarian and Pescatarian options as well. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/13/2014This is a wonderful place to enjoy good food and wine in the company of good friends. You can hear each others conversation! The wait staff is responsive, but unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much for the alleged downfallOftHungryPersonDined on 10/10/2014We've heard from various repeat patrons that Oliveto has fallen upon hard times regarding service and food quality. Thankfully, this was not our experience. The service was attentive, friendly, and purposeful, and the food was fantastic in taste, presentation, and creativity. This all amounts to a great night out, and to a rediscovery of an establishment that we haven't been to in months. Cheers!Special Features:
- myreviewDined on 10/8/2014Good quality food and service. However, it is very expensive and the quantity of food very limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food & the service was terrificIgnatz49Dined on 10/3/2014We had the warm mackerel appetizer, the steak, and the albacore with bittersweet chocolate cake for dessert. Unique and delicious flavor combinations. The woman serving us was charming, helpful and made great suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance ruinedeatsfVIPDined on 10/1/2014Workmen were working on ladders rewiring things (?) in the ceiling. Although the restaurant tried to shield the diners from the work people with plants it was still distracting.Special Features:
- CuisineBillDined on 9/30/2014The food was outstanding. I suppose I will be more critical than ever when I visit my other dinner houses. I cannot describe what made the food so tasty, however it was not a strong herb taste that you either love or hate.Special Features:
- PickydinerDined on 9/29/2014We ate dinner on Sunday night and returned again for lunch on Monday. Great food, Wonderful service, good ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always wonderfulDdelDined on 9/27/2014Oliveto's is the best. We are always pleased with the service and the food. we have celebrated birthdays and anniversaries at Olivetos and it is always special.Special Features:
- Still a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Oliveto has been, and continues to be, a very good spot of "Cal-Italia" dining. Fresh ingredients, new and old world techniques and dishes. Their house-cured pork products are outstanding and there is usually something on the menu that highlights some of the excellent seasonal produce. And brother, do they know what to do with pork. The porterhouse pork steak is a must-have. Wines are heavy on Italians, but a good range. Desserts are also excellent. Staff is knowledgeable and very attentive. Recently went for the Late Season Tomato prix fixe and each dish was stunningly good. The layers of flavor were magnificent. I wish I could go all the time.Special Features:
- recommendedladywiththegreatdogDined on 9/25/2014excellent, friendly service. recommended and will return.Special Features:
- Overpriced limited menuTerriVIPDined on 9/25/2014Although the food was good, it wasn't fabulous. Limited menu, vegetarian options were scarce. Pretty setting, nice service, but not worth the extra $$. Three small pasta's, one wine, one beer, and two drinks and the bill was $136.00.Special Features:
- OlivetoNancyDined on 9/22/2014I've been going to Oliveto for many years and almost always find it to be excellent. We went for lunch this time. A bit disappointing. I had the cod and the fish was a little overcooked, a bit tough. The waiter seemed very young and not quite up to par. We had to refill our water glasses and just not very attentive. But still, it's a special place. The panna cotta was great.Special Features:
- Always fine diningPenguinVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great location, predictably fine dining, great for having discussions.Special Features:
- for a Birthday celebration....pen4Dined on 9/20/2014My family and friends enjoyed a lovely evening recently at Oliveto's, a neighborhood favorite for special occasions. The food and service was great and we were never rushed to make decisions or leave. Unfortunately the space was very stuffy and smelled like bleach as we were seated. Some confusion about the wording in their charge card bill that could be improved.Special Features:
- Fun new dishes to tryCRDiRVIPDined on 9/15/2014Lunched with my friend in the restaurant this week. Very nice service, accommodating special requests. The lunch menu items were inventive and delicious., although we had to ask for "translations" of the Italiano menu descriptions from our waiter (part of the fun!). We ended our meal with "Gelato bufalo", which translated to ice cream made from water buffalo milk, with balsamic drizzle. It was delicious. Nothing to criticize, except the carbon footprint from making gelato out of water buffalo milk (don't think there are any water buffalo within 50 miles of Berkeley, except maybe the Oakland Zoo!). Dependably delicious restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerMacreviewerDined on 9/13/2014Celebrating a birthday and anniversary, the restaurant provided a convenient location with good food. Actual menu was different from the on line menu, and that was a disappointment. The wine by the glass list was limited and very expensive.Special Features:
- Dining adventureOT4filVIPDined on 9/12/2014Heirloom pepper salad with sultanas. Very different and very good. Otherwise the meal of caesar salad, lamb cooked 3-ways and rabbit ravioli was not exceptional.Special Features:
- Terrific MealvisitorfromberkeleyDined on 9/7/2014I go to Oliveto upstairs for important meals--and it never fails. Great Italian food, terrific ingredients, a broad and not too pricey wine list, and knowledgeable and helpful servers. What's not to like? Well, it's pretty expensive!Special Features:
- Jerry and FrancescaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Service impeccable, as is the pigeon and every other dish. always superb.Special Features:
- Best meal everDdelDined on 9/5/2014I am in the restaurant business and I rarely write reviews on my dining experience. In this case I had to. Best food service and atmosphere combination ever. Everything was on point. From the host to the server and chef. Great job. I have already recommended to all my friends and family. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014Excellent! The dishes were both beautiful to look at as well as taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2014Always wonderful for lunch or dinner. We travel from Florida to the Bay Area, and always make sure to dine here. However this time (Sept 2014), we were very disappointed with the service....very, very, slow! The staff didn't seem very professional (need more training) and we had to ask for water 2 different times. We'll try again because the food is delicious!Special Features:
- Uneven Tomato MenuOaktownFoodieDined on 8/29/2014In our experience, a meal at Olivetto's is typically a lovely treat, especially during tomato week. I always enjoy the atmosphere at this restaurant, and this time was no exception. Lovely ambiance, humming with good vibes. The table was ready on time, however, our experience started off on a mixed note with an alternatively strangely absent, then obsequious waiter. When he finally took our order, we were informed that the dish we had selected for our main course was unavailable--the kitchen had run out. We enjoyed a tomato/buratta cheese appetizer, but the main course of pasta with tomatoes was rather flavorless and boring. The dark chocolate cake for dessert was absolutely delicious. Overall, a decidedly mixed experience.Special Features:
- Love tomato weekJCOaklandDined on 8/29/2014My husband make an effort to always go to Oliveto every year for their tomato week. It's always a gastronomic delight to savor the menu and we go big with at least 3-4 cold or hot plates and a main. Dessert is also wonderful. Amazing food for the Bay Area! We're lucky to have them in Oakland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cut above!JCHSDined on 8/28/2014Always interesting, changing with the same very high quality, wonderful service and engaging wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomato Dinner!ClaudiaDined on 8/27/2014Tomato Dinner! Need I say more! Tasting plate was the best. Plus chocolate and tomato for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old standby....butDonnaMDined on 8/22/2014Oliveto is a classic in the neighborhood. We've gone there over the years. While it still maintains it position as one of the classiest in the Rockridge neighborhood, it has lost something along the way. The food was good but not great. the portions were just adequate. The wine list is way too expensive and lacked reasonably priced alternatives from the excellent selection of California wines. Overall, the evening was an expensive disappointment.
- excellent carnivore experienceeatsleepmoveloveDined on 8/20/2014chef jonah rhodehamel is a master at creating a complete culinary experience. I highly recommend everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch menu needs more varietyarcheplanDined on 8/20/2014I like Oliveto's. Have been coming for years. However, the lunch menu needs an update with more variety.Special Features:
- Best server everSBJBDined on 8/19/2014Our server (don't recall his name) was OUTSTANDING--knowledgeable, thoughtful, great service, educated us & gave us our space when we wanted it. And the food was tasty, portion sizes reasonable (not too much)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grumpy server detractedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014So so food and a grumpy server did not impress our group.Special Features:
- LettyDined on 8/15/2014I could not have had a more incredible anniversary dinner. Amazing food, perfect server, wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunch spot!HappyCustomerDined on 8/15/2014Great food. Creative menu. Lovely service. Well done Oliveto's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- improving on a good thingPalateaDined on 8/14/2014Having dined here many times, we were impressed by the quality of the food, perfectly prepared and innovative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Dinner SpotTuesdayDinerDined on 8/14/2014Our dinner at Oliveto was fabulous. We wish we could afford to eat there more often. We started with two appetizers. The Grilled Octopus was fabulous. The Grilled Peach Salad had some interesting flavor combinations, although the fried pancetta was a bit salty for some of us. For Entrees we tried two The Rabbit was tender and flavorful. The Pigeon was excellent. For dessert we tried the chocolate cake with ice cream, and salted caramel sauce. Sort of a deconstructed Sunday. Also, the Crepe Cake was lovely. A great meal, and conversation was easy. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- TransitionsJuneDined on 8/12/2014It was a quiet Tuesday evening. We arrived at 7:15. We were ushered upstairs by the maitre d'. Such an elegant place! Place about half full. It would have been nice if someone had helped with our wraps (we were two women of a certain age) as they sat us done. A small thing that would have added a touch of elegance. IT was a special evening for me: a pre-birthday celebration. The half bottle of Amorone that we ordered never came because they had none in the cave. Our nice waiter suggested various substitutes but they didn't find right. Finally we got the sommelier to come and he was extremely helpful' Meanwhile our pasta came : cold and uncooked....Everything was taken care of m but I was shockedSpecial Features:
- A good meeting place by RockridgeGJLFGDined on 8/12/2014In spite of a reservation, we had to wait for a table but it was a table by the window. The food was good and the wine list has some reasonably priced bottles. The restaurant is across the street from the Rockridge bart station and thus an excellent meeting place for those arriving by bart.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014One of the best meals I have had in sometime. Very good menu that includes game(pigeon ).Special Features: