Oliveto Café & Restaurant
5655 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Oliveto Café & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oliveto.com/
- Phone: (510) 547-5356
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm – 9:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jonah Rhodehamel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oliveto Café & Restaurant
Oliveto Café & Restaurant offers seasonal cuisine in the Northern Italian tradition, including wild game, fresh pastas, wood-fired pizzas and authentic vegetable and poultry dishes.Continued
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Oliveto Café & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Oliveto Café & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)special occasion (101)neighborhood gem (96)notable wine list (63)romantic (58)good for groups (38)hot spot (23)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (5)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- First Time Herebigkahina2wipedoutVIPDined on 11/16/2014Overall excellent restaurant. We had the prix fixe dinner & found the portions small but tasty. Difficult to get to the 2nd floor if you're ortho handicapped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AN4648AN4648Dined on 11/15/2014We went Saturday night for our 40th anniversary. Overall a very good experience. The butternut soup was delicious ( I had to have mine reheated, because it was served lukewarm, but the waiter was very obliging ) . The beef slices were tasty and cooked to perfection, unfortunately, served with very salty creamed spinach,( my husband could not even eat it), along with very bland potatoes. The chocolate dessert was scrumptious and the cabernet sauvignon outstanding. I remember we went there a few years ago and also found way too much salt in some of the food . I wish there could be salt on the table , for those who want it, but not so much already in the dishes. The service was impeccable, the seats very comfortable and there was not too much noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food & service!foodieDined on 11/14/2014I've been coming to Oliveto's for many years and the food and service are always amazing! I have never been disappointed with what I've ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing 2xFlorindaDined on 11/14/2014After a rather blah dinning experience for dinner about a year ago, I decided to try Oliveto's for lunch. While many other factors for a good eating experience are present (ambience, location, good service) the food continues to disappoint. We were a party of 3, one person had the rock cod -- the better selection. Two of us got the Prix Fixe menu -- the "lettuces" salad had an over-salty dressing, and our carbonara was too salty for words. It's almost as if they are on auto pilot in the kitchen -- is anyone tasting this stuff when recipes are formulated before they prepare the menu? Like instead of a pinch of salt, two tablespoons? Or no need to add salt to the carbonara, as the cheese sauce has plenty of sodium already? This experience made me recall my dining experience a year ago -- the dressing then really salty too, and the entres we had that evening were okay but no where near outstanding. I have to echo that sentiment; no one is being mindful in the food prep and add "strike 2". Having tried dinner and lunch, I don't think I'll place any bets on breakfast, although it would be tough to mess up a breakfast menu! I won't be holding my breath to find out.
- Great lunch in the East BaydbdbDined on 11/11/2014Oliveto is a special restaurant. The food is spectacular, consistently (more consistently than years ago in fact). The wine list is remarkable with many fine aged wines at not unreasonably prices. It's also one of only two places for dine dining at lunch in the East Bay (the other being Panisse).Special Features:
- A lovely anniversary dinnerMaggieShellDined on 11/10/2014A wonderful menu, well-executed dishes, friendly service and special attention for our anniversary made for a very nice evening.Special Features:
- Just one problem....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014We were disappointed in having to choose from only four entrée options. Service was excellent; our waitress was delightful and very attentive. However, it is unlikely that my wife will return inasmuch as she did not like the menu that much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative food, great atmosphere.workerdudeDined on 11/9/2014I have been going to Oliveto's for many years and it never gets old. The food remains innovative and the noise level is exceptionally low compared to many of the noisy newcomers. The prices are fair but the portions could use a little boost. All in all a very nice night out with very attentive service start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very average staffClunkyven1VIPDined on 11/7/2014The restaurant has great food. Delicious in fact, BUT the waiting staff are incredibly average with very little personality and don't have a huge amount of experience. It shows how important it is to have charismatic staff, as we won't rush back here to eat when there is so much choice around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood favoritesarahdrekDined on 11/7/2014I love sitting by the windows upstairs and watching the active College Ave neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickiDined on 11/6/2014I have been to Oliveto's many times and always enjoy the food and the restaurant. The only comment I have is we were sitting adjacent to the upstairs bar and occasionally there was a loud tapping noise, like a mortar and pestle or something similar and it distracted me. I turned my head a few times to see a young man doing something that made that annoying noise. I could not see what it wasSpecial Features:
- Sophisticated Italian FoodJodiVIPDined on 11/1/2014Wonderful well prepared Italian food. The potato gnocchi in a brown butter sauce is heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014Everything was great, starting with the food, ingredience, menu balanced between accessible and exciting items. The new dining room to so very beautiful.Special Features:
- Rare quiet! superb service & foodLocalDined on 10/27/2014Oliveto is an oasis of calm. So many restaurants are unbearably noisy these days purposefully (using hard surfaces to magnify the sound so that they sound busy). Thank goodness for Oliveto's. I can actually have a relaxing dinner conversation with others, hear and be heard, while enjoying delicious, healthy food. I always make sure to order a soup, because they are marvelous medleys of flavor. The sorbets are stunningly beautiful and interesting (pear-rosemary the last one) and never too sweet, just right. Everything is superb, those are highlights for me.Special Features:
- Delicious TreatGoBearsDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I both started with the butternut squash soup and were delighted that we did. It had a rich smooth texture and was simply delicious. No primis, but straight on to the main courses. My beef was cooked perfectly to a medium rare and seasoned lightly to enhance the flavors and the creamed nettles were excellent as well. My wife had the duck prepared two ways and was also happy with he choice. By skipping the primis, we had room to try a couple of the desserts - the chocolate cake and the cheesecake. We were going to share, but were both happy with the one we started on and decided to finish them instead. Excellent dinner and wonderful service. We will be back!Special Features:
- OutstandingIluv2eatDined on 10/21/2014We were visiting with our granddaughter whom we had not see for a while. We were never rushed or made to feel that someone else needed our table. Our server explained things well and was present when needed and we never felt neglected or rushed. The music was absent and it was wonderful. We could talk to each other without shouting. It was very relaxed. Plus the food was excellently prepared and offered a wide enough variety so we were all satisified.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKIslandFoodDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I came here to celebrate a birthday. We had been given a gift certificate to Oliveto as part of a birthday present. I had been looking forward to the evening because as parents of a 2 year old, we rarely get the opportunity to have a nice meal out, just the two of us. Unfortunately we found the restaurant to be just OK. The food was good, but not amazing. Our waiter was probably the most disappointing. Not very friendly or welcoming and very slow to take our order even though we had very clearly closed our menus. We also had to request the bread that all the other tables received immediately. He never came back to ask if we wanted additional cocktails or wine. Probably won't be going back.Special Features:
- Rivals the best in the BaySantafekidDined on 10/18/2014The Porterhouse steak, little gems salad and cheesecake were wonderful and balanced with excellent Italian wines. As a couple we shared portions and were very satisfied. Service also excellent. Great table spacing and quiet atmosphere even with small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant!DiningBettyDined on 10/16/2014My hands-down favorite restaurant in Oakland. Amazing food, fabulous wine list, excellent service, and the ambience is perfect for a special occasion. Vegetarian and Pescatarian options as well. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/13/2014This is a wonderful place to enjoy good food and wine in the company of good friends. You can hear each others conversation! The wait staff is responsive, but unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much for the alleged downfallOftHungryPersonDined on 10/10/2014We've heard from various repeat patrons that Oliveto has fallen upon hard times regarding service and food quality. Thankfully, this was not our experience. The service was attentive, friendly, and purposeful, and the food was fantastic in taste, presentation, and creativity. This all amounts to a great night out, and to a rediscovery of an establishment that we haven't been to in months. Cheers!Special Features:
- myreviewDined on 10/8/2014Good quality food and service. However, it is very expensive and the quantity of food very limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food & the service was terrificIgnatz49Dined on 10/3/2014We had the warm mackerel appetizer, the steak, and the albacore with bittersweet chocolate cake for dessert. Unique and delicious flavor combinations. The woman serving us was charming, helpful and made great suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance ruinedeatsfVIPDined on 10/1/2014Workmen were working on ladders rewiring things (?) in the ceiling. Although the restaurant tried to shield the diners from the work people with plants it was still distracting.Special Features:
- CuisineBillDined on 9/30/2014The food was outstanding. I suppose I will be more critical than ever when I visit my other dinner houses. I cannot describe what made the food so tasty, however it was not a strong herb taste that you either love or hate.Special Features:
- PickydinerDined on 9/29/2014We ate dinner on Sunday night and returned again for lunch on Monday. Great food, Wonderful service, good ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always wonderfulDdelDined on 9/27/2014Oliveto's is the best. We are always pleased with the service and the food. we have celebrated birthdays and anniversaries at Olivetos and it is always special.Special Features:
- Still a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Oliveto has been, and continues to be, a very good spot of "Cal-Italia" dining. Fresh ingredients, new and old world techniques and dishes. Their house-cured pork products are outstanding and there is usually something on the menu that highlights some of the excellent seasonal produce. And brother, do they know what to do with pork. The porterhouse pork steak is a must-have. Wines are heavy on Italians, but a good range. Desserts are also excellent. Staff is knowledgeable and very attentive. Recently went for the Late Season Tomato prix fixe and each dish was stunningly good. The layers of flavor were magnificent. I wish I could go all the time.Special Features:
- recommendedladywiththegreatdogDined on 9/25/2014excellent, friendly service. recommended and will return.Special Features:
- Overpriced limited menuTerriVIPDined on 9/25/2014Although the food was good, it wasn't fabulous. Limited menu, vegetarian options were scarce. Pretty setting, nice service, but not worth the extra $$. Three small pasta's, one wine, one beer, and two drinks and the bill was $136.00.Special Features:
- OlivetoNancyDined on 9/22/2014I've been going to Oliveto for many years and almost always find it to be excellent. We went for lunch this time. A bit disappointing. I had the cod and the fish was a little overcooked, a bit tough. The waiter seemed very young and not quite up to par. We had to refill our water glasses and just not very attentive. But still, it's a special place. The panna cotta was great.Special Features:
- Always fine diningPenguinVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great location, predictably fine dining, great for having discussions.Special Features:
- for a Birthday celebration....pen4Dined on 9/20/2014My family and friends enjoyed a lovely evening recently at Oliveto's, a neighborhood favorite for special occasions. The food and service was great and we were never rushed to make decisions or leave. Unfortunately the space was very stuffy and smelled like bleach as we were seated. Some confusion about the wording in their charge card bill that could be improved.Special Features:
- Fun new dishes to tryCRDiRVIPDined on 9/15/2014Lunched with my friend in the restaurant this week. Very nice service, accommodating special requests. The lunch menu items were inventive and delicious., although we had to ask for "translations" of the Italiano menu descriptions from our waiter (part of the fun!). We ended our meal with "Gelato bufalo", which translated to ice cream made from water buffalo milk, with balsamic drizzle. It was delicious. Nothing to criticize, except the carbon footprint from making gelato out of water buffalo milk (don't think there are any water buffalo within 50 miles of Berkeley, except maybe the Oakland Zoo!). Dependably delicious restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerMacreviewerDined on 9/13/2014Celebrating a birthday and anniversary, the restaurant provided a convenient location with good food. Actual menu was different from the on line menu, and that was a disappointment. The wine by the glass list was limited and very expensive.Special Features:
- Dining adventureOT4filVIPDined on 9/12/2014Heirloom pepper salad with sultanas. Very different and very good. Otherwise the meal of caesar salad, lamb cooked 3-ways and rabbit ravioli was not exceptional.Special Features:
- Terrific MealvisitorfromberkeleyDined on 9/7/2014I go to Oliveto upstairs for important meals--and it never fails. Great Italian food, terrific ingredients, a broad and not too pricey wine list, and knowledgeable and helpful servers. What's not to like? Well, it's pretty expensive!Special Features:
- Jerry and FrancescaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Service impeccable, as is the pigeon and every other dish. always superb.Special Features:
- Best meal everDdelDined on 9/5/2014I am in the restaurant business and I rarely write reviews on my dining experience. In this case I had to. Best food service and atmosphere combination ever. Everything was on point. From the host to the server and chef. Great job. I have already recommended to all my friends and family. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014Excellent! The dishes were both beautiful to look at as well as taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.