Oliver A Bistro
218 Farnsworth Avenue
Bordentown, NJ 08505Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Oliver A Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverabistro.com/
- Phone: 6092987177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew McElmoyl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Many options for catering. We deliver or you can pick up. Also cater off-site
A word from Oliver A Bistro
We are a 55 seat intimate BYOB located in a charming historic downtown area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oliver A Bistro - Best Restaurants in Bordentown ›
Oliver A Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (24)great for lunch (22)romantic (20)good for groups (7)hot spot (7)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great dinner!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent as usual. Food was great and serviced matched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014The food was awesome. The waffles 'n chicken are a must. Relaxing atmosphere and a neighborhood feel. It felt like everyone knew each other even though we did not. Loved the service.Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Always delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the lentil and ham soup and hubby had potato cheddar bacon soup. I had the diver sea scallops and the hubby had one of the other seafood specials with shrimp and mussels over risotto etc. So good! Don't forget dessert :)Special Features:
- Wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal on Friday 8/22/14. We both chose the prix fixe dinner and it was a great value. Each course, starter, appetizer and entree was delicious. My companion chose the mushroom soup and loved it. My Caesar salad was delicious. We both had a bowl of mussels and chose the Thai red curry sauce. Oh my! It was hard not to drink up all that sauce. My crab mac and cheese entree was over the top. No room for dessert. A wonderful meal.Special Features:
- good foodPetesDined on 8/15/2014very good food and service something different i liked it a lot. the mushroom bruschetta was out of this world.Special Features:
- twilightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The food was fabulous! We have eaten here many times and it is always great. I had the special Chiopino. Delicious! Menu changes from weekdays to weekends. So check before you go. Otherwise, I definitely would recommend this restaurant. BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryVIPDined on 8/6/2014Awful. Little paper napkins that were soggy when we got to them. Poor service, wrong information by a server and the very worst crab cake I ever tried to eat. And this, so close to the Jersey Shore was an absolute crime. What's going on?? We always liked Oliver's but the owners/chef should take themselves in to Philadelphia to the Parc Bistro where they could learn that bistros have pretty exacting standards if you want to do it right. It was a stupid menu, not at all related to a bistro, no cappuccino, noisy space among others. The only good thing was the tomato salad and happily, New Jersey tomatoes can't be ruined even here!
- Bistro GemSuzyfoodieDined on 8/6/20145 of us had lunch here and we all agreed it was delicious. There were so many excellent choices that we had a hard time deciding. The soups were all perfection- a gazpacho, a mushroom, and a potato were 3 we tried. Freshly made and excellent. We had quiches and wraps that had us raving. Our waiter Bruce was efficient and charming in a cheeky sort of way. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OliverswineanddineVIPDined on 8/2/2014I think it's the best BYOB place in Bordentown. The food seems always to be very good with an attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night FeastJustDuckie70Dined on 8/1/2014The three course meal was a hit with plenty of food. The corn chowder soup with added crab meat was to kill for and they gave you at least 24 mussels as an appy. Everyone enjoyed their meal with extra credit to the scallops...Service was top notch..Parking as expected was challenging but worth it. A definate return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One word "Fantastic"RickPDined on 8/1/2014Friday night was our 5th or 6th visit to Oliver's Bistro and every time it gets better. Charming, (ask if a window seat is available if you are a couple), but more important, food is fresh, authentic and prepared extremely well. After the delicious unique parmesan bread crackers, included in the bread basket, and one of the soups of the day, always great soups, I had a REAL Jersey tomato and bleu cheese salad, my entree, super sweet Viking Village, NJ day boat sea scallops with sweet pea risotto. There is no skimping on quality. Again, one word, "Fantastic" Service is always very attentive but not overdone. Parking's a little tricky but worth it, a little walk before and after dinner never hurts. Ironically, I found a place in front, lol.Special Features:
- Very Charming & TastyRobHepDined on 7/31/2014This is a great little spot to relax and enjoy some very tasty food. I would definitely go back and bring friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite RestaurantJcbeekDined on 7/18/2014It all started a couple months ago, when I first dropped in for lunch with my soon to be girlfriend. The food was amazing and so was the service. We were mesmerized. Soon everytime we wanted to go out for lunch or dinner, Oliver's was the only place on our minds. Our first waitor had such poise, control, and manners that we origionally confused him for the owner without any reason besides the fact that he seemed to care so much about our individual dining situation. This place had gained a special place in my heart, and is definitively the best restaurant in the Bordentown area, and my personal favorite whenever I want great food, with equally great company. I have never been so enthralled by a buisness, or by it's staff before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BcityfanDined on 7/15/2014Had a reservation for 8 on a Tuesday. The service and food were excellent. such a great place so close to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/15/2014Staff was extremely attentive and the food was fabulous. Couldn't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu but everybody happykarenmDined on 7/9/2014We viewed online what apparently was the weekend menu - met two other couples all driving at least one hour to get there - it was burger night but it worked out just great for all of us. My first fried chicken with waffles - meatloaf that passed the grumpy older guy's test - excellent soup - good salad - attentive staff and a "Well Done" for the restaurant. We wish it were local to us - it would be a weeknight gp-to for us.Special Features:
- Great Burgers and SaladsJerseyMike64Dined on 6/26/2014Each of us had a different entrée two burgers and the special crab salad) and each was better than the other. Great for conversation at the table.Special Features:
- Great Food! Great Chef!IrawDined on 6/21/2014This is a family run restaurant with and extremely creative. Great food, flavors and tastesSpecial Features:
- lost that loving feelinghope2eatDined on 6/21/2014Why did you change your seating arrangement? Now you get to have a romantic dinner with those seated on both sides of you. Killed the ambience with the metropolitan style seating and uncomfortable chairs. Pricing is metropolitan also $$$$. Used to love this place. Doubt I'll be back. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/20/2014We dined at Olivers on a Friday night. One person in our party ordered 3 small dishes. Instead of asking how the food should be brought out, they brought 2 of the 3 dishes out (one at a time) and we sat and ate nothing waiting until the 3rd dish came out. NOT GOOD!
- Limited Menu But Still GoodEatslittleVIPDined on 6/14/2014The menu got smaller since the las time I visited Oliver's but was still good. A couple of more additions might be helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but not what I expectedSfan527Dined on 6/13/2014The website reflect one menu for Friday night, but upon arriving the sides were changed! I really was looking forward to Brussel sprouts and risotto with my crispy chicken. They were serving califlower and truffle fries (which were not that impressive).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 6/12/2014I always find the food very good and the prices very reasonable: soup, 1/2 salad and a burrito made a delicious meal.Special Features:
- mptcDined on 6/10/2014Wonderful experience and the food.....amazing!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Ocassion at OliverHeavyCDined on 6/6/2014Had a wonderful dinning experience at Oliver A Bistro. Service was beyond excellent! Food was good. Only complaint is it was very noisy and we couldn't hear ourselves speak. I will definitely recommend to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a dining pleasure!TadzioDined on 5/30/2014Oliver a Bistro is a local favorite. We always enjoy our meals. Lunch and dinner are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MidWeek….Best Burgers!GrouponDinnerVIPDined on 5/21/2014Olivers offers an outstanding, menu with an attention to the detail of preparing wonderful dishes. Now they have add "Burger Nights" on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday…..the best burgers varieties that I have seen on a menu in a long time and not surprising, prepared perfectly! The restaurant was bustling with lots of diners enjoying an upscale, more casual menu. They also offer tasty small portion desserts for $2 each that are a perfect ending for those of us with a sweet tooth. Olivers is a neighborhood gem and worth visiting if you have not. BYOB is just another added plus. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BURLCO's Best!MCBtravelerVIPDined on 5/20/2014Still fabulous: Burlington County's best restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentChrisMDined on 5/16/2014Another great dining experience at Oliver's. The Friday fixed price menu is a good value for the quality and size of each dish. The mushroom bruschetta is delicious. Our server recommended the Miso salmon dish. He said it was "outstanding!"... Well...he was right. It was the best salmon dish that I've ever had. Large piece, cooked perfectly. Excellent combination of flavors. I'd highly recommend. Their desserts are also delicious..even the coffee. Slightly pricey, but well worth it for a special occasion or an occasional treat...or just for a great meal!Special Features:
- Affordable and delicious lunchgerimeachDined on 5/16/2014We recently met our relatives for lunch at Oliver and had a wonderful meal. The soup and sandwich combos are fabulous. We also enjoyed the Greco Dip (hummus) and Chevre Crostini appetizers. Oliver is a BYOB which saved us quite a lot compared to restaurants with over-priced wine. We plan on returning soon and spending some time in the quaint town of Bordentown.Special Features:
- Fabulous Mother's Day lunch!localdiner1Dined on 5/11/2014Our family of four had a sumptuous lunch on Mother's Day. Our favorite items included the tomato soup with cheddar cheese, Mediterranean appetizer, spinach salad, skewered shrimp with papaya slaw, and the mac and cheese with beef. The service, as always, was impeccable. We have dined here more than 25 times over the last few years and have NEVER had a meal that is anything less than excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, reasonable pricesJDFoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014The Friday night $29.99 special which is 3-courses is the best buy anywhere! The bruschetta is fabulous and the entrees (fish, meatloaf, etc) are delicious. And the portions are big! You must try to save room for dessert, though. I did not order the "Friday special" as I chose just the specials in course which was cioppino and it was scrumptious - chock full of shrimp, scallops, clams and mussels over a spring pea risotto. Not your typical Italian-made dish, but really delicious! BYOB lets you enjoy your own great wine and saves you money. Service at dinner can be slow so bring your patience. It's worth the wait! And they started taking Amex a while ago which is great! I can now bring clients!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 320 reviews are from the Oliver A Bistro reviews archive.
- Nice DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 4/29/2014I certainly enjoyed a very good dinner; this time it was tapas style with great soup, a salad, and braised short ribs cheese and mac. All well-prepared with the usual attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our Favoritesreservationsfor2Dined on 4/26/2014The food and service is always excellent at this little place in the heart of Bordentown. Reservations are a must on weekends and on-street parking can be a challenge, but it is certainly worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSheLovesFoodDined on 4/26/2014The service, the food, the ambience... everything was top notch. Never fails to impress.Special Features:
- Girls night outMamaBearDined on 4/24/2014Really enjoyed our visit to Oliver's for dinner. The wait staff could not have been friendlier or more obliging. We went on a Thursday evening & the place was hopping! Very eclectic food choices and everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Special OccasionMAandLADined on 4/23/2014One of THE Best Kept secrets in NJ. We have Never been disappointed.Special Features:
- BYOB GemArmybarbieDined on 4/19/2014I loved that you could bring your own wine and the food was comfort food with a twist. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on Good FridayseniordinerDined on 4/18/2014The menu is not broad but there is enough variety; however a few more choices would be good. The food is amazing. The bread basket at the start of the meal is wonderful..crisp, thin rounds of bread, seasoned ..delicious. The wait after 1st course, for entrée, was too long. There may have been only 2 waiters. "Energetic" noise level is too noisy for us! Tomato bisque, Crab risotto and lemon dessert were outstanding. Size of servings is nice, not overpowering. Cost value is extremely fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Spot in BordentownYumAllTheTimeDined on 4/17/2014Food is very quality. My wife and I went in with 2 other couples and we had a fanastic time. Service was on point. We went during Restaurant Week and also Burger night. We selected the Burger night menu, but both looked wonderful. The burgers were perfectly cooked. The chicken and waffle were another highlihght. Dessert was very good and very fresh. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.