Oliver A Bistro
218 Farnsworth Avenue
Bordentown, NJ 08505Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Oliver A Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverabistro.com/
- Phone: 6092987177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew McElmoyl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Many options for catering. We deliver or you can pick up. Also cater off-site
A word from Oliver A Bistro
We are a 55 seat intimate BYOB located in a charming historic downtown area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oliver A Bistro - Best Restaurants in Bordentown ›
Oliver A Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (32)great for lunch (25)romantic (19)good for groups (11)hot spot (7)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Hit or Miss.5cookiesVIPDined on 10/28/2014The generally good/high standard is slipping with Oliver a Bistro. What used to be a reliable hit, is now hit or miss. Our recent visit was a miss. I would still recommend the restaurant overall, but I'll take a break from eating there for now until they sort out the recent kimks. Mediocre service, both undercooked and overcooked food in the same order.....not a good combination. I gave it 3 stars as the hits outweigh the misses but the standard used to be 5 stars and recent visits have been in the "miss" column.Special Features:
- Oliver A'sMikeRDined on 10/25/2014Everything we had from appetizer to main course was delicious. I highly recommend Oilver's. You won't be disappointed. We will definately go back.Special Features:
- Burger night rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/23/2014My husband and I love to hit Oliver's for their burger nights! It's a warm friendly place and the burgers are insainly good! We also enjoy the regular menu. You just can't go wrong here:) B.Y.O.B helps keep the price down, and is not a bother to us at all.Special Features:
- Bordentown's BestGrouponDinnerVIPDined on 10/23/2014Love this bistro…..from appetizer to dessert, everything is fresh and expertly prepared! And BYOB!!!Special Features:
- Bordentowns GemIrishmomDined on 10/22/2014Oliver`s has always been our favorite place to dine and now, with the weekly specials of burgers and burritos (and other delicious specials), the rest of the family is now calling Olivers their favorite place! We visit the restaurant often and look forward to trying something new each visit- we are never disappointed! The servers, Josh and James ,couldn`t be nicer!!Special Features:
- What Happened???PeterpanVIPDined on 10/21/2014I have been a BIG fan of Oliver's for many years, but this dinner was completely disappointing. They have changed their weeknight menu within the past year, which has, at times, been refreshing and certainly a help for mid-week increases in patronage. The more casual menu is completely appropriate and offers a nice array of burgers, mac and cheese and salads. However, this past Tuesday, for Oktoberfest, a bratwurst and cabbage special was offered. Two of our diners were completely disappointed in completely dried out wursts, and the service was wurst, as well, with many being served before us, having arrived afterwards. Really a disappointment.
- Outstanding ..Food4SoulDined on 10/18/2014Have been to Oliver's many times for lunch and thought it was great. But went for diner the food was delicious , outstanding. I was with a group we all had different entrees. All were great.. Service was outstanding also. Our main server James was friendly and attentive ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchLaFleurVIPDined on 10/18/2014great lunch spot on sleepy Bordentown main drag. byo. enjoyed soups, salads and sandwiches. good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Week Night DiningNJJIMVIPDined on 10/16/2014Went to tryout for the famous burgers, but went with the Bratwurst Special. Sausage was excellent, warm German potato salad and cabbage, really enjoyed it. Service was attentive and knowledgable, great place to unwind during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oliver A Bistroluv2dineDined on 10/11/2014First time at Oliver A Bistro and we were very impressed! The food and the service was outstanding! My husband had the Mussels to start he and the scallops for main-delicious! I had the blue cheese and bacon salad and the crispy chicken for my main-excellent! Will definately go there again! Five stars from us!!Special Features:
- Hot Scottie October 8LindaDined on 10/8/2014Very disappointed .. my sandwich was inedible. It sounded great from the description and tasted like a spicy stuffing sandwich.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place!!!TommyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Small but very nice - menu and specials were great - service with a smile!!Special Features:
- EwahDined on 9/19/2014Great food and service. The entertainment provided byPhil Bruschi was outstanding and helped make fora great evening.Special Features:
- Oliver's BistroWinstonDined on 9/18/2014Where do I begin? Having a meal prepared by a chef vs. a cook is evident. If you like to start your meal with the best home made soup available, you must be at Oliver's Bistro! Delicious salads, including their signature chicken salad, are excellent. Next, any entrée ordered will be guaranteed to please. Last but not least, you must save room for dessert. The pastry chef will have prepared a mouthwatering conclusion to an exceptional meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealLindaDined on 9/17/2014Everything was excellent including our server PaulSpecial Features:
- Consistantly ExcellentChrisCVIPDined on 9/16/2014We can always count on excellent food and excellent service. It is always a win win.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oliver A BistroLLPJDined on 9/16/2014We love Oliver A Bistro. We have dined there several times and have never had a dish we didn't love. That is a difficult thing for "foodies" to say. This particular night, we specifically went in for the pumpkin soup (which had returned for the fall) and the mushroom truffle burger. We also tried their special crab/guacamole appetizer. All of the food choices were fabulous. The waiters (Bruce and Josh) were wonderful as always. I highly recommend this wonderful BYOB in Bordentown!Special Features:
- Excellent!AngelaDined on 9/13/2014What a great find. I was in town to visit my parents and wanted to try something new and delicious. BYOB was a nice additional perk, and they even brought out an ice bucket to keep our white cold and opened our red for us. The table next to us had their wine decanted. The food here was... amazing! And we ordered ALOT. The mushroom bruschetta with truffle oil was delicious, as was the mac and cheese with pork ribs. The salads with blue cheese were incredible, and even the complimentary bread was great - with regular bread and another thin toasted version with cheese. We had the seafood stew, clam chowder, shrimp skewers, and salmon. All fantastic. Service was great too! Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Very Enjoyable Eveningrvbdine913Dined on 9/13/2014This restaurant was great to enjoy again. We met friends from North Jersey as we came up from South Jersey. Our waitress and servers were very good and attentive. We were able to enjoy the food, service, company and conversation happily.Special Features:
- Still a Very Good LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 9/13/2014I do agree with some others who noted that in order to appeal to the masses, they have cut back on some of the quality. This is certainly reflected in the reasonable price. The restaurant is still described on OpenTable, and elsewhere as French. Sadly, this is no longer the case. Burger Nights and Mac and Cheese will appeal to a very different clientele than that which frequented the place several years ago, and were willing to spend $40 or more on a couple of courses that were outstanding. This being said, I do travel to Bordentown from time to time and can honestly say I can always have a very good meal at a very good price. I don't really know South Jersey below Bordentown, but this must be one the best BYOB places in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Consistent, Always QualityYumAllTheTimeDined on 9/12/2014Every area of this restaurant is good. The atmosphere and the location is charming. The food is always quality and prepared in amazing ways. On this last trip I had the meatloaf and my wife had soup and the crab mac n'cheese. Easily the best meatloaf I have had in my life. My wife's meal was also fantastic. Certainly will return, especially for chicken and waffles or burger night, which are also the bees knees.Special Features:
- not as good but still goodalp1VIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been to Oliver numerous times and it remains a favorite but Saturday there was sand in my scallops and the menu was not changed from last time we were there. It seems to have gone a bit more "basic" to appeal to the masses.Special Features:
- Always fantastic!btowneatsDined on 9/6/2014Another amazing dinner at Oliver A Bistro... The staff and Chef Matt never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!!Annmarie1108Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent as usual. Food was great and serviced matched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014The food was awesome. The waffles 'n chicken are a must. Relaxing atmosphere and a neighborhood feel. It felt like everyone knew each other even though we did not. Loved the service.Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Always delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the lentil and ham soup and hubby had potato cheddar bacon soup. I had the diver sea scallops and the hubby had one of the other seafood specials with shrimp and mussels over risotto etc. So good! Don't forget dessert :)Special Features:
- Wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal on Friday 8/22/14. We both chose the prix fixe dinner and it was a great value. Each course, starter, appetizer and entree was delicious. My companion chose the mushroom soup and loved it. My Caesar salad was delicious. We both had a bowl of mussels and chose the Thai red curry sauce. Oh my! It was hard not to drink up all that sauce. My crab mac and cheese entree was over the top. No room for dessert. A wonderful meal.Special Features:
- good foodPetesDined on 8/15/2014very good food and service something different i liked it a lot. the mushroom bruschetta was out of this world.Special Features:
- twilightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The food was fabulous! We have eaten here many times and it is always great. I had the special Chiopino. Delicious! Menu changes from weekdays to weekends. So check before you go. Otherwise, I definitely would recommend this restaurant. BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryVIPDined on 8/6/2014Awful. Little paper napkins that were soggy when we got to them. Poor service, wrong information by a server and the very worst crab cake I ever tried to eat. And this, so close to the Jersey Shore was an absolute crime. What's going on?? We always liked Oliver's but the owners/chef should take themselves in to Philadelphia to the Parc Bistro where they could learn that bistros have pretty exacting standards if you want to do it right. It was a stupid menu, not at all related to a bistro, no cappuccino, noisy space among others. The only good thing was the tomato salad and happily, New Jersey tomatoes can't be ruined even here!
- Bistro GemSuzyfoodieDined on 8/6/20145 of us had lunch here and we all agreed it was delicious. There were so many excellent choices that we had a hard time deciding. The soups were all perfection- a gazpacho, a mushroom, and a potato were 3 we tried. Freshly made and excellent. We had quiches and wraps that had us raving. Our waiter Bruce was efficient and charming in a cheeky sort of way. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OliverswineanddineVIPDined on 8/2/2014I think it's the best BYOB place in Bordentown. The food seems always to be very good with an attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night FeastJustDuckie70Dined on 8/1/2014The three course meal was a hit with plenty of food. The corn chowder soup with added crab meat was to kill for and they gave you at least 24 mussels as an appy. Everyone enjoyed their meal with extra credit to the scallops...Service was top notch..Parking as expected was challenging but worth it. A definate return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One word "Fantastic"RickPDined on 8/1/2014Friday night was our 5th or 6th visit to Oliver's Bistro and every time it gets better. Charming, (ask if a window seat is available if you are a couple), but more important, food is fresh, authentic and prepared extremely well. After the delicious unique parmesan bread crackers, included in the bread basket, and one of the soups of the day, always great soups, I had a REAL Jersey tomato and bleu cheese salad, my entree, super sweet Viking Village, NJ day boat sea scallops with sweet pea risotto. There is no skimping on quality. Again, one word, "Fantastic" Service is always very attentive but not overdone. Parking's a little tricky but worth it, a little walk before and after dinner never hurts. Ironically, I found a place in front, lol.Special Features:
- Very Charming & TastyRobHepDined on 7/31/2014This is a great little spot to relax and enjoy some very tasty food. I would definitely go back and bring friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite RestaurantJcbeekDined on 7/18/2014It all started a couple months ago, when I first dropped in for lunch with my soon to be girlfriend. The food was amazing and so was the service. We were mesmerized. Soon everytime we wanted to go out for lunch or dinner, Oliver's was the only place on our minds. Our first waitor had such poise, control, and manners that we origionally confused him for the owner without any reason besides the fact that he seemed to care so much about our individual dining situation. This place had gained a special place in my heart, and is definitively the best restaurant in the Bordentown area, and my personal favorite whenever I want great food, with equally great company. I have never been so enthralled by a buisness, or by it's staff before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BcityfanDined on 7/15/2014Had a reservation for 8 on a Tuesday. The service and food were excellent. such a great place so close to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/15/2014Staff was extremely attentive and the food was fabulous. Couldn't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu but everybody happykarenmDined on 7/9/2014We viewed online what apparently was the weekend menu - met two other couples all driving at least one hour to get there - it was burger night but it worked out just great for all of us. My first fried chicken with waffles - meatloaf that passed the grumpy older guy's test - excellent soup - good salad - attentive staff and a "Well Done" for the restaurant. We wish it were local to us - it would be a weeknight gp-to for us.Special Features:
- The following 336 reviews are from the Oliver A Bistro reviews archive.
- Great Burgers and SaladsJerseyMike64Dined on 6/26/2014Each of us had a different entrée two burgers and the special crab salad) and each was better than the other. Great for conversation at the table.Special Features: