Olive or Twist-The Restaurant
Berwyn, IL 60402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Olive or Twist-The Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://oliveortwist.com/
- Phone: 7084841808
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Louie 7084841808
A word from Olive or Twist-The Restaurant
Amid our low-lit tables and brick walls, Olive or Twist pairs our 36 unique martinis, 20 bottled microbrews, and international wines with contemporary American fare concocted by chef Robert Nava. Shaken or stirred, signature libations range from the Thin Mint martini to the Florida Key Lime Pie martini (a dram of Bacardi rum, Midori liqueur, and chocolate liqueur garnished with lime). Diners can also choose from brews including 3 Floyd’s Alpha King pale ale to accompany small plates such as the potato-wrapped prawns with spinach, artichokes, and mustard-seed butter. Tenderloin sliders topped with blue cheese and red-onion confit annex tummies before calling for reinforcements of classic American sandwiches or large-plate entrees such as the jerk ribs with an auxiliary unit of saffron shoestring potatoes. For dessert, sweet teeth delight in the banana split and apple-and-cheese strudel, named after Frank Zappa’s overlooked fifth child.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Olive or Twist-The Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- My first time at this restaurantDickDined on 10/25/2013My first time at this restaurant was disappointing. The room was very attractive with an attentive waitress. I ordered a martini which was excellent and a medium rare hamburger. I was served the worst hamburger that I have ever tried to eat. I did not complain but when I received the check I mentioned to the waiter that this was the worst hamburger I have ever tried to eat. She did not seem surprised. My wife order flat bread and it was O. K.
- Dinner for twoRossomaticDined on 9/27/2013Took wife there for date night. Greeted right away and very friendly way. Great drinks. we ordered a spinach and goat cheese flatbread to start which was quite good. I had the petite filet with asparagus and mashed potatoes. The fillet was cooked perfectly and the meat was very tender. My wife had the grilled chicken penne and I thought that was also very good. Too stuffed for dessert so we passed. Overall a good place to get away from the typical formula restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasant place in non-descriptpairDined on 7/31/2013very pleasant place in non-descript Berwyn area. Wet stayed to eat came for the cocktails--tremendous, colorful, fun--but stayed to eat on the sidewalk b/c the evening was nice, the tables inviting and the neighborhood quiet. Great drinks, helpful, accommodating and friendly service, steak salad, grilled portobella and chicken penne were excellent and substantial. Music is bluesy and low; weekends may be packed, but on Wednesday nothing is happening and that's what's nice: a fully comfortable, inviting and high-class place that's not expensive and not jam-packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great martinis. Waitress wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2013Great martinis. Waitress was friendly and helpful with drink and food choices. Great choice of small or large plates. My husband and I were visiting the area and lucked up on this local neighborhood restaurant. We recommended our nephew dine there as well since he lives in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss/misstimmerDined on 7/10/2013Had the Portabella Appetizer. It was good, but not exactly what I expected! While it was very good, it would have been great with a little more Goat cheese! Our entrees took a LONG time. When they did come out, they did not come out as we ordered! Manager and server offered to remake them, but after waiting so long, did not want to wait any longer for a redo. They offered to take money off the bill, but because we had a gift certificate. they did not. Still a great place, but this was the third time in a row that we have visited, where there was a hiccup with service/correct order!
- Food was just fine but theelyse1019VIPDined on 6/15/2013Food was just fine but the Martinis are great! Our waitress was not very helpful though....but maybe they're not all like her.Special Features:
- Great food and restaurantDthcrsVIPDined on 6/7/2013Service was awesome! Great martini! Definitely worth the visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although service was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Although service was a little slow, the overall experience here is great!.... their martini menu is truly unique and if you are looking for something different with friends or family you will have a great time trying all of their different maritnis!!!Special Features:
- Great Martinis and an extensive,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2013Great Martinis and an extensive, fun beer listing to choose from. The ambiance was comfortable, clean and well done decor. Owner was attentive and gracious. Will definitely go back to sample a few more beers!Special Features:
- Looking for a local spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013Looking for a local spot. Nice ambiance, food was decent as was the service. I would go back if I happened to be in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Good place for pre=theater diningRussDined on 4/6/2013We wanted to find a nearby restaurant before we attended aplay at 16th Street theater. Olive or Twist is good place to go. THe owner was very cordial and visited our tale several times. Extensive menu, including full dinners and massive burgers and other sandwiches. May specialty martinis. Service was a little slow, but we still had plenty of time to get to the theater. We'll go back again.Special Features:
- We at here for the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/16/2013We at here for the first time last weekend and loved it. My group ranged from a 79 year old to an 11 year old, but everyone found something they liked on the eclectic menu. I had the smoked pork chop with cheese grits and would highly recommend it. The carrot cake is also yummy.Special Features:
- Great food and a great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Great food and a great surprise place in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Great neighborhood placeveggiewheelsDined on 3/2/2013The food here is amazing! If you want to eat great food but don't want to drive all the way to the city this is the spot to go. The complementary bread is soft, fresh and good. They have a huge martini list, and every one I have tried is delicious. They also have great wine. This is a great spot for a girls night out, or for a date night. The place can be quiet or loud depending on the guests that night. Some groups are loud, others are quiet.Special Features:
- Olive or Twist is a charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013Olive or Twist is a charming local martini bar. The service was delightful and, for that reason, I would go back. The entrees were fair, however, we chose to go there for the drinks. The martinis were delicious! Even though we didn't need a reservation on that particular night is was very convenient the reservation could be made online through the website. I was able to make one on my phone during my lunch break. The comedy club is next door so this place is perfect to get a drink, appetizers, or a quick bite before the show.Special Features:
- Staff was so great and theKatyDined on 2/16/2013Staff was so great and the food was wonderful. Try the chocolate martini.Special Features:
- I visit this restaurant verytimmerDined on 2/14/2013I visit this restaurant very often, I was very disappointed on my last visit! The service was adaquate, at best!Special Features:
- Food was good. Waitstaff neededOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Food was good. Waitstaff needed attention (Ester in particular). She was slow and forgetful. She said she had just started and I understand but her incompetence changed the atmosphere of my first time experience.Special Features:
- They just opened the restaurantChicagocemoDined on 2/14/2013They just opened the restaurant and have new staff who have never worked in the restaurant before but are well meaning - they will get the kinks out. The quality of the food and the sincere apologies made up for the earlier challenges and we will be back soon.Special Features:
- Maybe I went on an off night,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/6/2013Maybe I went on an off night, but I will not travel to Berwyn again for a couple of just "ok" martinis and so so bar service. The bar menu didn't look appealing enough to order a few small bites. We left and went to another bar/restaurant.
- We had the special; the tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2013We had the special; the taste was good and the presentation was great, but the meatloaf was very overcooked and part of it was burnt.Special Features:
- Truly a neighborhood gem.Unhappy1Dined on 1/23/2013What a find....thanx Groupon for my initial visit (and subsequent returns). Versitile menu...I never order pork but had the chop there and it was FABULOUS. Chuck the bartender/bar waiter was a real treat. Victor, our server in the dining room, was pleasant, helpful and very eager to please. My friends and I hadn't seen each other in quite a while and this was our "catching up" dinner, so there was alot of "check with us later" happening...without issue. Yea Berwyn, what a fun find....oh, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the long list of fabulous martinis and bleu cheese olives...and Wednesday is $6 martini nite.Special Features:
- My husband and I dined hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/12/2013My husband and I dined here after seeing a show at 16th Street Theatre. We are not from the area, but it was a great choice. The restaurant is split into multiple sections. One side where the bar is was filled with football fans watching the playoffs, but the side where we sat was much quieter. We both got pasta dishes which were very good although the sauce on my penne entree with grilled chicken was quite rich. Portions were large enough that we both walked away with leftovers. The desserts were great. I got the 5-layer carrot cake and my husband got the white chocolate bread pudding.Special Features:
- I have been to this RestauranttimmerDined on 1/8/2013I have been to this Restaurant many times before, but not recently! Our server, Victor, recognized us and remembered our drinks! He asked if I brought my can of tomato juice (I like plain tomato juice, which they do not carry.) They were out of alot of items! (Bisque soup and some sides), but Victor offered alternatives! I ordered the Tuna Steak, from his suggestion. It was good, but it was ice cold. I did order it Med Rare, but it should have been a little warm when it was presented! Over all, we enjoyed our dinner. The Bread pudding dessert was really good!Special Features:
- Great place for a drink andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2012Great place for a drink and a filling, tasty meal. The drink list is expansive which means you'll want to come back and try it all.Special Features:
- Overall I enjoyed my dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/8/2012Overall I enjoyed my dinner, the martinis were very good. The service was just ok, it was a busy night. I would go back.Special Features:
- Well done!! The small plateOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/8/2012Well done!! The small plate Potato Wrapped Pawns were great (wish there were 4 as we had to split the 3rd one!) and the Oven Roasted Portabello was quite tasty. Both had great sauces (and don't skip the bread). For dinner we had the Apple Wood Smoked Pork Chop cooked perfectly) and Grilled Tuna Steak - cooked as ordered - rare. For dessert we split the White Chocolate Bread Pudding - not heavy, it was cupcake size and very nice. This time we skipped the martinis (excellent with many choices) and stuck to a nice Malbec (Sana Juiia, I think) and another good choice. It was my birthday and I'm glad we deicded to go to Oive or Twist. Well located at the Berwyn train station area so easy to get to from the city or locally.Special Features:
- I thought the food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012I thought the food was excellent but PRICEY!!! Consider dropping your prices a little and more people will eat there!Special Features:
- $33 for a 24oz bone-in ribeyeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2012$33 for a 24oz bone-in ribeye and it was a really lousy steak. Going cheap on the quality of food that you serve is a real turnoff. If you want to charge big league prices you have to match it with quality food.
- Definitely a must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012Very attentive waiter; pleasant and honest when suggesting drinks. The food was absolutely wonderful! The cost was moderate considering the martinis were $10 a piece and the large plates averaged $15-20....well worth it! Perfect atmosphere and a slightly more sophisticated food and drink menu created the perfect date night for my husband and I. Would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a nice dinner out with friends or family away from the overcrowded, typical chain restaurants.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012Very good food and service but u pay downtown prices for eating in BerwynSpecial Features:
- I went because I had a LivingUnhappy1Dined on 10/2/2012I went because I had a Living Social coupon but I will return because I absolutely adore the place. I was alone and sat at the bar. Had an amazing dinner (try the pork chop)and met several exciting and interesting people...including Chuck, the bartender. I arrived early and as the evening wore on, the place began to fill. The dining room, behind the bar, looked particularly inviting. I would recommend this place to those just stopping by for a yummy drink or those wish to enjoy a scrumptous dinner...Olive or Twist is the place for you.Special Features:
- Great experience! WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012Great experience! Waitress was knowledgeable and fun.Special Features:
- Our server, Gianna, was excellent.BobODined on 9/22/2012Our server, Gianna, was excellent. The pork chop and spare ribs were superb; a meat lover's delight. Good moderate wine selection. Love the 007 martini.Special Features:
- Olive or Twist is a unigueBillVIPDined on 8/25/2012Olive or Twist is a unigue find in the west Chicago surburbs. Their restaurant is very well laid out with outstanding service, food presentation and taste. They have a vary private outdoor dining space in the rear of the restaurant. It is excellent and every bit as good as anything which we have been at in the western suburbs.Special Features:
- We decided to sit outside.timmerDined on 8/22/2012We decided to sit outside. The weather was perfect for it. On Victor's reccomendation. I had the daily soup. Three cheese with bacon. Was very tasty! We both had the Ribs for our entree! We have had them before. Very meaty, however the bbq sauce seemed a little more tangy and spicier then we remebered them, but they were good, none the less! The railroad tracks are right across the street, which we were aware of, so the noise from the trains can be a little loud, but we were OK with it! There was a couple, which came outside from the bar and sat at the table next to us! They were smoking while we were trying to eat! When he lit is last one, Victor, our server noticed and quickly told the man that he could not smoke! Thanks Victor!Special Features:
- This is one of those restaurantsODYSSEYCEBDined on 8/2/2012This is one of those restaurants you do not expect to find in Berwyn but is a great go to restaurant not to mention the terrific martini bar!Special Features:
- I have visited this restauranttimmerDined on 7/27/2012I have visited this restaurant many times before! The Ribs, pork chop and the specials are great! Was a little disappointed with the steaks! They use a little too much tenderizer on the steaks! When you order Med. rare, or rare, it should have some natural red juice! Victor, our server, was great!Special Features:
- LOvE LoVE LoVe this restaurant.!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012LOvE LoVE LoVe this restaurant.! Great People, Great Place.! = WOnderful visist.!Special Features:
- A great little place in Berwyn,LesleyswcDined on 7/20/2012A great little place in Berwyn, with an interesting Martini menu, decent wine list and nice beer selection. But don't stop with drinks...the small plates are something special. We had a dinner salad (Steak Tenderloin) and the wonderful potato wrapped prawns. For those of us who love food, but don't want to stuff ourselves, this is a great find. Deserts are quite good; the brownie is yummy.Special Features: