Olive or Twist Restaurant and Bar
81 Broadway Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Olive or Twist Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://oliveortwist.net/
- Phone: 8282540555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Bill Devlin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call us for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Olive or Twist is available for private dining. Whether you have a party of 25 or 145, we can accommodate. We have many banquet options from buffets to plated dinners. We also have many reception packages available. We also have A/V capabilities for meetings, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Mitch Fortune 8282540555
- Entertainment: Wednesdays: Shag and Beach music night with Ron Blankenship Thursdays: Swing night with the Swing Station Band and Heather Masterton Fridays: Jazz Standards with Jennifer Scott and the Guys from New York Saturdays: Jazz and Swing with the 42nd Street Jazz Band
- Special Events: We cater private events. We can seat up to 120 people and have several tiers of pricing for private events. We can also accomodate 289 persons standing for events such as fund raisers and charity events. Please call for details.
A word from Olive or Twist Restaurant and Bar
Welcome to Olive or Twist. A locally owned restaurant and lounge, noted for sophistication, comfortable upscale atmosphere, adventurous world flavors, and refined entertainment. We feature a menu of various small plates meant for sharing, and entrees inspired by cuisines from around the globe, and have imparted our own twist on these culinary styles. We have paired our food with a fine assortment of wines, craft beers, and martinis, selected to accentuate each other and to work harmoniously to delight your palate. With our friendly staff and intimate décor, we hope to create a dining experience like no other. We hope our selections move your spirit with flavor and fun, meant to spark conversation and memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Olive or Twist Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- It is not all in the name.Meff44VIPDined on 6/29/2013We visited on our Anniversary weekend getaway to Asheville. The food was great and the decor was modern and nice. My English teacher wife was expediting a few copies of Charles Dickens laying around, which was rather dissapointing. But hey, we came for the food not the books, right? The live jazz band that started playing just as we wre leaving sounded wonderful. Next time we will eat a little later. We were also within walking distance of the theatre and took in a grand rendition of "Kiss Me Kate" after dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/22/2013Perhaps a bad night in the kitchen but the facts were the service was slow and the food was sub-par. The entrees were over cooked, greasy and poorly seasoned, did the cook staff resign that evening?Special Features:
- The food and drinks were greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/15/2013The food and drinks were great at Olive Or Twist. However, the service was lacking. I'm not sure if our waitress was the only one working tables (it seemed like it, but there were multiple other workers there), but she seemed to only come back to check on us periodically. Also, we asked for waters with our first drinks when we sat down. We had to ask for waters every time she came back. Finally, when we were almost finished with our food, and we still didn't have water, I walked up to the bar myself and asked for waters. I don't know what the situation was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eight of us arrived as scheduledOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2013Eight of us arrived as scheduled at 7:45 pm on a Monday night to find.... an empty restaurant. Since I was entertaining clients I was immediately concerned. When I say empty, I mean we were the only ones in the entire restaurant. Nelson greeted us and explained that he would be our waiter, bar tender and entertainment for the night. At this point I was really concerned and truthfully, I considered leaving. In the end, all of the food was outstanding and Nelson even sand a song for us. The price was very reasonable and we were able to let loose a little without having to worry about disturbing anyone. If there is anything to complain about it is a very limited wine selection. Other than that, I highly recommend Olive or Twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food and worse managementSandyGDined on 5/18/2013My husband's steak was in edible. When he sent it back, the manager was accommodating; however when as a replacement they brought him ribs that he couldn't even cut with a steak knife, the manager acted like my husband was just being difficult. In the 6 years we've been together, my husband has never sent back a meal. But an in edible steak and then ribs you have "saw" with a steak knife-That is unacceptable After this the manager ignored us. We appreciated that our waitress was pleasant and tried to be helpful. I can forgive a restaurant for a bad meal, but not poor management. I recommend you stay far far away. You have lots of other choices in the area - try one of those!
- Music and dancing made forKLinkVIPDined on 5/18/2013Music and dancing made for a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went on a Monday nightRednewtDined on 5/6/2013We went on a Monday night and it was not crowded or noisy. I heard from 1 of our diners that the end of the week is quite different when they have live music, it gets very crowded and noisy. The service was slow due to the fact that they only had 1 waiter on staff to cover the bar and all the tables. The food was good and the menu had an adequate selection. The only downside was the slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I ate lunch hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013My wife and I ate lunch here this past Saturday 4/13/13, the service was outstanding and the food was excellent! They have a great beer and wine list, we would go back again.Special Features:
- Olive or TwistOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013What a great spot. We enjoy dancing and jazz music, Olive or Twist had both and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves . Can't wait to go back. We highly recommend this top spot in Asheville , N.C..Special Features:
- We went for my wifes birthdayCurryManDined on 3/15/2013We went for my wifes birthday and had a great time listning to the jazz trio and singer. Dinner was fair to good however we had a very attentive and friendly server.Special Features:
- The food was great, we enjoyedFoodluver4verDined on 3/1/2013The food was great, we enjoyed our first martinis along with the live music all adding up to a great experience Thank you!Special Features:
- Great place, they have liveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013Great place, they have live bands Thursday- Saturday which adds even a better experience. Food was awesome, fried oysters are amazing. Drinks are good too.Special Features:
- I would no recommend. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013I would no recommend. The service was terrible. Slow service, food came out very late then was served at differing times to the party of 12. It took 45 minutes for the waiter to get the 5 checks to each patron. Terrible service and with very bad unprofessionalism.
- Outstanding service. HighlyMbclevengerVIPDined on 2/1/2013Outstanding service. Highly recommend this place. A little off the beaten path but good parking right across the street. Worth the effort.Special Features:
- Great band on Saturday nights.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013Great band on Saturday nights. Dinner was really good (burgers, tuna, club sandwich). We had fun dancing the night away. Mary was our server, and she is top notch. Even though it was very busy, she was friendly, attentive, and helpful. We will be back.Special Features:
- We had a fabulous dinner andDebbyLeeDined on 12/31/2012We had a fabulous dinner and great service! Our reservation was at 6:30PM and that was a perfect time for our children to dine with us there also.Special Features:
- I recently went to Olive orOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/28/2012I recently went to Olive or Twist for dinner but mostly because they had live music. The food was average pub food though the pizza was poor. The pub atmosphere was quiet, the staff friendly. The music was very good blues(Blue Dog) and i joined some apparent regulars in dancing.
- Thanksgiving feast!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2012Thanksgiving dinner was fantastic. The food was cooked well, lots of tasty sides with traditional flair. Homemade desserts. Class act buffet. There was a live jazz quartet that added to the ambiance. We were lucky to have chosen this place.Special Features:
- Good place overall. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/10/2012Good place overall. Good service, food was good and jazz was good.Special Features:
- I went here for brunch onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2012I went here for brunch on a Sunday and the restaurant was empty when I arrived. The service was ok but the server seemed distracted and disappeared for long periods of time when we wanted refills and the check. It seems like it's more of a night time place than a brunch place.
- The band was fun and energetic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012The band was fun and energetic! There was ballroom dancing happening.
- It was an enjoyable experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2012It was an enjoyable experience, despite it being so loud we had to practically shout at each othe the whole time. There was a live blues band playing (excellent) and s lot of dancing and singing. The food was good, but our server was MIA most of the night. Overall it was a tolerable experience, best used for a bar scene rather than a date or special occasion.Special Features:
- Drinks served were not correctLynnDined on 8/24/2012Drinks served were not correct but were quickly remedied by a more knowledgeable server. Food was OK for the price. The jazz band was a nice touch; there were several couples in the crowd who enjoyed the dancing. There are better places in Asheville but this was convenient and mostly ok.
- My husband and I ate herecourtneyn4Dined on 8/18/2012My husband and I ate here for his birthday during a weekend getaway. He ordered pasta with spinach and chicken and I had the filet The food was fantastic and so was the service. There was also luve music which was mellow and very enjoyable. The highlight, however were the martinis. Definitely worth the visit!Special Features:
- We were there on a slow nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2012We were there on a slow night and one young woman had to do it all. She did a great job of handling all the tasks required of her. However - one flaw - the website said that on Mondays and Tuesdays there was a 20% senior discount. We mentioned this to her and she had no idea what we were talking about. Said she would check into it - but it was never honored. That would be our one complain.
- I went with my wife to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2012I went with my wife to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Told them when I made the reservation on line. The web site said they had live Jazz on Sunday Nights. Arrived as the only people in the place and we were served by the bar manager. The place was dead and no music. However, the food was very good. We both ordered steaks and salad.
- Sign said "seat yourself"sincewhenDined on 7/18/2012Sign said "seat yourself" so no way to check in. I guess 8 pm is late for dinner. Bartender took the food order. He was good but too busy. Food runner brought dinner but my friend's side dish was wrong and it took a while to get the right order. There was a band playing and people dancing -- at least they enjoyed it!
- Enjoyable!Cutyger86VIPDined on 7/5/2012We were there very early so live music had not started and restaurant was deserted pretty much. Server was very friendly and accommodating. Portions were huge and very tasty. They were out of several things but fortunately had what we wanted to order. I just think its never a good thing for the first words to be "I'm out of whatever..." overall, a good experience and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/1/2012Really enjoyed this restaurant! Food and service were great!
- Great atmosphere with dancingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2012Wonderful atmosphere, not too small. Fantastic (and potent) martinis! The band was just perfect and there was some dancing too.Special Features:
- Great for a fun night, after-workOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2012Great for a fun night, after-work drinks, or the sort. Better noted is the fact that is it more of a bar than anything else. Jazz band on Saturday is a hit, but not for someone looking for a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great service & food. LiveTosaGirlDined on 5/3/2012Great service & food. Live music starting at 8 p.m. was a real plus.Special Features:
- The food was ok but not exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2012The food was ok but not exceptional. On a positive note, the swing band playing on Thursday evenings was quite enjoyable - the female vocalist was especially talented. Not sure why this venue was only about half full with music this good. Guess swing is just not the thing in alternative leaning Asheville. Would go just for the music.
- World-class jazz on SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012World-class jazz on Saturday night! Just the right volume where conversation was not strained, but fantastic musicians, great food, great service!Special Features:
- Chose this restaurant becauseVisitorFromMarylandDined on 4/17/2012Chose this restaurant because it was a convenient walk from our hotel. I ordered trout almadine and my husband ordered trout prepared another way. Both were quite good -- fresh and moist. The service was a bit spotty because a large party had arrived shortly before us. But overall the place wasn't very busy on a Tuesday night in April. We listed to the first set of a blues group. The music was pretty good and made the place worth the visit.
- We were the only table there.FoodieDined on 3/27/2012We were the only table there. Food was only so so. Server only so so. She left our table in the middle of taking our order to go answer the phone. Think she was the only one there also. Did not appreciate 20% tip Automatically added to our bill for party of five.
- Lovely dinner with great music.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2012Lovely dinner with great music. Older quiet crowd enjoyed dancing to the jazz/big band setsSpecial Features:
- Chicken marsala needed someSamanthaDined on 3/20/2012Chicken marsala needed some work...too much alcohol left in the sauce. However the Shrimp Ravoli was excellent. Very nice place with great service.Special Features:
- My husband and I were in AshevilleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012My husband and I were in Asheville for the weekend and were so happy we ate at Olive or Twist. The Jazz Band, 42nd Street, played and they were amazing. We enjoyed great food, drinks, and dancing.Special Features:
- A fantastic evening! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/24/2012A fantastic evening! Great food, drinks and dancing! A+!Special Features: