Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant
142 West Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.olivebranchwc.net/
- Phone: 6104317141
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 2:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Marie Cantatore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Thank you for considering the Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant in Historic Downtown WC. for your upcoming Event or Special Occasion. Before opening our homelike restaurant, catering has been first and foremost. Years of catering background, from wedding hotel coordinator, WCU Director of Catering and proud to referred by the Mayor as the "Queen of Catering", our goal in catering is simple: "It"s YOUR OCCASION, NOT OURS." Meaning simply, the decisions, menus, budget and details are yours to make. We are here to assist you in every way, with professional guidance.
A word from Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant
The Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant was enthusiastically opened in May of 2009, choosing the name Olive Branch because it embraces its meaning of Peace, Humbleness, and an extension of good will. Located in the heart of West Chester on historic Gay Street, the sumptuous interior lends itself to the rich vibrancy. We are proud to serve some of the best dishes in West Chester and were voted #1, THREE YEARS IN A ROW, at the Chester County Restaurant Festival for the categories Best Appetizer, Best Entree, & Best Dessert! Since opening its doors, Olive Branch offers the option of BYOB. We also offer a unique twist on cocktails with a superb variety of original, non-alcoholic Mocktails and Specialty Beverages as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (14)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (11)special occasion (9)romantic (6)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- very nice restaurant good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We had great service and great to share. They say small tappas dishes but I thought the portions were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- accommodating, tasty, byolikes2eatOutDined on 9/5/2014They accommodated a large group (14 of us) including a few who arrived late with no problems. The chef's choice tasting menu was an excellent value and delicious. more food than we could eat and great selection, so something to please everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!gturner228Dined on 8/29/2014Service was slow at first (and restaurant was almost empty), but it improved. The waitress recommended we order two to three items per person. Three seemed like a lot to us, so we each ordered two. We had the crab cakes, ribs, cheese fondue, and scallops. All were excellent. For dessert we had the brownie sundae, which was excellent as well. We're looking forward to going back so we can try more of the fabulous offerings on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in a long time...byrd58Dined on 8/14/2014We enjoyed a wonderfully leisure "tapas" meal here with good friends! Over 2 hours of scrumptious food, good conversation and wine (BYOB) and will definitely go back, just the two of us for special nights out in the future!Special Features:
- SurprisedSpencerVIPDined on 8/13/2014One waitress trying to serve eight tables, and she wasn't even a good waitress. Restaurant ambiance was ok, looks like a hobby restaurant, one table had paperwork, bills and other stuff on it. Food was very good, for a Tapas restaurant not a large selection.Special Features:
- Olive Branch Tapas West ChesterMattDined on 8/2/2014We decided on the Olive Branch Tapas while visiting West Chester, PA. Our group go six ordered a varity of dishes (it is Tapas after all..) and nearly every dish was delicious. We were impressed and honestly pleasantly surprised. The restraunt does not serve alcohol which to us not being from the area was strange. For a Saturday evening the resturant was quiet, but that probably had to do with the Iron Hill Twilight Criterium taking place a block away. If you're in the area, check out the Olive Branch Tapas, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Olive branch accommodated our request to sit outside which was really nice, their outdoor area is very quaint and attractive. It took us a little while to actually be able to order our food and it seemed like the restaurant really wanted us to order the tasting menu- however we had multiple diet restrictions at our table and as soon as we said that they suggested we order separate dishes. The food came out at scattered times ( which we knew was going to happen) but everything tasted delicious and our server was very nice and helpful!Special Features:
- Nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Nice night. Okay food. Great service. Nice outdoor ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to get rightchrispyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Serving tapas is a hard concept to get right and Olive Branch didn't succeed all that well. It takes a lot of effort and more trips to the kitchen since each dish is small. The communication between server and diner must be clear. In what order should the dishes be served? For two people should that be two at a time or one? Are they going to be shared or not? The answers are probably different for each table and the server needs to serve each table accordingly. Here, the communication wasn't very good and we got what we got when the server decided to bring it out (or when it was ready in the kitchen) which is typical for a mediocre tapas place. The food was fine and we may try again but be more aggressive with how we want the food served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service orientedAquarianstyleDined on 6/15/2014The food was delightful but what really stood out for me was the incredible customer service. The servers really do work as a team and make the dining experience enjoyable. I never waited for anything, yet I never felt rushed either. The servers were personable and kind. I was very happy here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good .... not greatrcwestchesterDined on 6/14/2014We enjoyed our dinner here, however, the menu posted on OpenTable is NOT the menu at the restaurant. I believe this restaurant changed to the Tapas format and has not updated their posted menu. The food was good, we were encouraged to order all of our choices at once, and told that the kitchen would pace the delivery of the plates we ordered. The food came out too fast. We needed to ask them to slow up...we couldn't comfortably fit all the plates on the small table. Overall, we enjoyed the food, would like to try for lunch.
- Love This Place!!!DpitDined on 5/25/2014Finally visited this place with my friends visiting from our hometown - we had an awesome brunch. We did the family style at 15$ a person and it was just our style of eating. It had a little bit of everything and the food came out in courses so our table wasn't overloaded with food. Everything tasted amazing. I can't wait to go back for a lunch, dinner, or to experience that brunch again. It's a BYO which is awesome though they do have times that they have complimentary mimosas. Go to this restaurant!! Eat. Relax. And enjoy downtown West Chester!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant reviews archive.
- Dinner before WC story slamIanZRighterDined on 5/13/2014Shared tapas and a nice bottle of Chilean Carmeneure with a friend at an outdoor table before walking down the street to the monthly WC story slam. Shared the lobster mac 'n cheese, flank steak in blue cheese butter, eggplant risotto and ginger chili salmon. The tastes were each individual and very remarkable. Which did I like the best...Yes!! I highly recommend Olive Branch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very prices for no portionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We were at a family style Mother's Day brunch we each had 2-3 tea spoons per person per course. The waiter did not know what he was serving . Other staff were setting up other table and carry chairs over our heads . Tables are not large enough to support a family style serving . Very expensive for very little food .Special Features:
- Good Tapas TimesLuvtodineDined on 5/10/2014Waitress was attentive and friendly, water glasses were always full but the food took forever to come and it was scattered service. Servers seemed confused and unorganized. A head server/manager is a must for Olive Branch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meetingMS17Dined on 4/30/2014This site was excellent for meeting friends and sharing with out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and fillingTheJestersDined on 4/26/2014The portions were good sized for tapas. Each plate had plenty of the featured ingredients and plenty for a tasty bite for two people. We brought home plenty of leftovers with a 80 dollar tab. We could have ordered and spent less and be quite satisfied but it was our first time there so we wanted to explore a variety of options. I will return there again with friends. Always great to find a creative and tasty byob with lots of food options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VG... if you can wait for itpv2goVIPDined on 4/26/2014I understand the concept of tapas and "things come out as they are cooked"... but to have everyone in our party FINISHED their meals except for one person's entree and wait for almost 30 minutes to then sit there and watch him eat by himself is not a smart system. Good when it came, but after that experience and talking to others who have had the same experience will probably not go back.
- Not real TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014Very disappoint experience. Anyone who raves about the Tapas here has never had real Tapas. The flatbreads looked and tasted like frozen pizza. The sausage plate was like mid-western sausage, not tapas. The chorizo was formed into a burger patty. The seared tuna was fluorescent pink and looked almost fake, and was very bland.
- Delish7seasdinerDined on 4/5/2014We dined here with a large crew of ladies in April and could not have been more pleased. The only notable negative was the chairs were uncomfortable for extended seating.Special Features:
- Interesting dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014The food and atmosphere are great. Service was great too. We were a group of 4 and ordered the chef tasting. Enjoyed it much, but next time will order off the menu as one of our friends was not a fan of the main ingredients of a few of the dishes. Definitely recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/30/2014Is all that comes to mind as I am completing this review. I'd never been to this establishment but was more than pleasantly surprised. The tapas dishes were very well prepared, absolutely tasty and the service and attentiveness of their staff was outstanding. Without question, I would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceRandigVIPDined on 3/29/2014We loved the food, ambiance and the energetic crowd. Best of all the service was outstanding. We loved that when our table was filled with food, our server told the kitchen to slow down and give us time to savor our dishes. We will most defiantly visit again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to rave aboutSodaTheCat1Dined on 3/29/2014My wife and I had multiple dishes. The meat lovers flat bread had the meat haphazardly thrown onto the flat bread and lacked any taste. It was not visually appealing. The portobello napoleon was lacking taste as well. The poached pear salad had little gorgonzoa cheese. The asian tuna was prepared well. The avocados were not ripe and were hard.
- Great little spot in west Chester!StephDined on 3/29/2014Olive branch is perfect for a date night, girls night and even a night out with couples. Food comes as it is ready and everything is incredible. Lobster max& cheese was to die for!Special Features:
- Thia was a lovely dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Thia was a lovely dining experience with very friendly and helpful servers. It is a tapas menu but with fairly large portions. We ordered 3 each which was more than enough...could have just gotten two each. The cheese fondue was wonderful. Remember to BYO bottle of wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTyoung519Dined on 3/8/2014The food was excellent. The restaurant is small. Great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there for lunch withLorenzoDined on 2/18/2014Went there for lunch with a guest. Wonderful place. Great selection of tapas. Highly recommend. BYOB keeps price very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our usualTeriDined on 2/16/2014Olive Branch is one of our favorite spots. My boyfriend and I go there on special occasions. The food is always excellent! We have never had anything we didn't love and we enjoy trying new things every time. Marie and John are such gracious hosts and always make us feel welcomed. All of the staff are very friendly. The Olive Branch is definitely one place we will keep coming back to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy on Valentine's Day!JohnDined on 2/14/2014Went with the girlfriend on Valentine's and it was packed! It's a small place to begin with, and all the tables for 2 made it a little tight. The staff was definitely overwhelmed, but they made a good effort to do their best - our waiter was obviously stressed but was working hard to keep everyone happy. The dishes came out one by one (as expected), and most were really good - particularly the artichoke dip and the tuna. Even my girlfriend (who hates tuna) loved the tuna. We were disappointed in the flank steak after hearing it was supposed to be very good, but it was tough and chewy and not really what we'd expected. Maybe we'll try it another time when they're not so busy. Overall, great experience, a good place for a nice date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayCanarylynneVIPDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I frequent this restaurant often so we booked for Valentine's Day. Upon arriving we had to wait outside for 20 minutes . Once seated we were given a special Valentines Day menu which was an abbreviated version of the usual menu but highly inflated prices!! Service was poor and incredibly slow. Overall we still love this place but not for Special occasions - I recommend you avoid at all costs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014Olive Branch was one of our favorite places, but we will never go back. They seated us at a table with about 10 in to pull our chairs out. I am 7 mos pregnant, so I couldn't fit at the table and the hostess gave us attitude when we asked to be reseated. After appetizers, our waitress forgot about us and we sat there without water or food for 1hr. We said something, but sat for another 1/2 hr w/o anything. We finally asked to cancel our meal (2 1/2 hrs w/o dinner yet) and our waitress gave us attitude. It took 1/2hr to get us to check for which they charged us $89 (for 1 salad and 2apps) She got the manager, who refused to charges less than $50. We paid and walked out w/o dinner, dessert, or champagne. We never got an apology.
- valentines dayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Went there on valentines day. Place was packed to the brim like they added tables to try get as much money as possible. The tables didnt allow a person OR waiter to get through to the table. First they had a menu that was im guessing the valentines day menu, very limited and overpriced for tapas. After ordering we had some of our byo drinks. After almost drinking three beers i started getting hungry and realized that its been fourty five minutes and hadnt recieved our first of six tapas, a DIP at that. After having to flag a waiter and tell him that its been almost an hour he said he ll check up on it. Dip was sub par and cold for fourteen dollars. Also they had the heat up to the max which only frustrated us even more. Focus on your guest!
- great food and ambiancezealandicaDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's day dinner was excellent and leisure. Very enjoyable. Many flavors...and all complementaritySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's SamplerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014We opted for the 8 dish offering, all chosen by the chef. Each one more delicious than the last. Our favorite was the flank steak. Fabulous, although a tad pricey to be a weekly occurrence (total bill with one drink: $231 for four). We will be back for our next special occasion.Special Features:
- Surprise Saturday DateKirkyDined on 2/8/2014The location was conveniently equidistant for both of us = friendly and attentive service, and in a charming part of town. Fresh and delicious salads, and my paella tasted great, but looked a little gluey and overcooked. Companion enjoyed his lobster ravioli... Would try it again on a quieter night, but obviously all other patrons were enjoying themselves, as did we.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfuljklkfaheyVIPDined on 1/15/2014We dined here on a Wednesday evening. The staff was attentive and friendly. The food was delicious and the prices were great! We loved the "tapas" style. The small potions (and small prices) allow you to sample a nice variety of items....we chose 7 items plus a dessert...our bill was $88 before tip! Really enjoyable...will definitely return in the future and will recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a bummerAstrojoVIPDined on 1/14/2014Went before and enjoyed but was met w multiple issues on this visit which was sad because I brought my niece there for what I had hoped would be a nice dinner but instead we received iced tea that had gone bad, way over cooked steak, and cold coffee. There were other problems also but I think I made my point and why put more energy into my review than was given to me to enjoy dining there???
- Chef's Tasting Is Superb!LMSCVIPDined on 1/4/2014Our table of 4 had the 8-course chef's tasting menu on Saturday night. The selection of courses was excellent, the cuisine outstanding! The portion sizes were so generous, we each went home with a box. As if the 8 courses weren't enough, we also ordered the apple cider donut sundae - an amazing combination of flavors. Thank to you the chef for the selection and preparation of the meal and our cheerful and helpful server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pick 5 OptionGeorgeCDined on 12/30/2013They have an eight course menu for $49 per person but we chickened out and ordered the five course for $35 per person. It was great!!!! Paced well, too!Special Features: