Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant
142 West Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.olivebranchwc.net/
- Phone: (610) 431-7141
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 2:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Marie Cantatore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Thank you for considering the Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant in Historic Downtown WC. for your upcoming Event or Special Occasion. Before opening our homelike restaurant, catering has been first and foremost. Years of catering background, from wedding hotel coordinator, WCU Director of Catering and proud to referred by the Mayor as the "Queen of Catering", our goal in catering is simple: "It"s YOUR OCCASION, NOT OURS." Meaning simply, the decisions, menus, budget and details are yours to make. We are here to assist you in every way, with professional guidance.
A word from Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant
The Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant was enthusiastically opened in May of 2009, choosing the name Olive Branch because it embraces its meaning of Peace, Humbleness, and an extension of good will. Located in the heart of West Chester on historic Gay Street, the sumptuous interior lends itself to the rich vibrancy. We are proud to serve some of the best dishes in West Chester and were voted #1, THREE YEARS IN A ROW, at the Chester County Restaurant Festival for the categories Best Appetizer, Best Entree, & Best Dessert! Since opening its doors, Olive Branch offers the option of BYOB. We also offer a unique twist on cocktails with a superb variety of original, non-alcoholic Mocktails and Specialty Beverages as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (13)special occasion (13)romantic (11)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointedjklkfaheyVIPDined on 11/11/2014This was our second time dining here (first time was great!) and sad to say, it may be our last. There were a few dishes that were really tasty (the dates were delicious, but expensive for the portion size. My husband had the lobster fritters which he also enjoyed. Their charcuterie board was great! Really nice, interesting selection of cheeses.) but overall, more of the meal was a let down. Short rib was excessively fatty, my ravioli were bland and presented with a different sauce then the menu description. We chose a baby kale salad, and instead were given a spinach salad (when we asked, we were told we were mistaken and that it was baby kale, my husband is a chef -- he knows a spinach leaf vs. baby kale!). fondue was broken so instead of a nice melty cheese, it was seperated into oil and chunks....just a shame. Service was good, our server was friendly and tried to see that we enjoyed ourselves so that was a plus. Just not a impressive meal....I don't think we will be back.Special Features:
- Cliff and DianaCliffnoteDined on 10/25/2014Not having knowledge of a Tapas restaurant, The Olive Branch was a very pleasant experience. The waiter really took the time to explain the menu and helped us through to make our decisions. The food was absolutely delicious. There is significant time given between each dish for you to savor the taste of each. The interior décor is very warm with the natural brick walls and just the right amount of decorations. Great focus on detail. We have raved to friends about The Olive Branch since eating thereSpecial Features:
- Forgotten mealOutandaboutDined on 10/24/2014One of four of us never got their dinner. I think there were too many tables and not enough servers. Reservations weren't organized.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014We did the Chef's tastings menu. The food was very good. The only complaint was the food was served too quickly. Some items got cold before we could eat them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/11/2014We really enjoyed the tapas-style experience. You get to try a bunch of different things that you might not order otherwise. Our server (Jim B.) took great care of us! He knew the menu well and was able to help us make some delicious choices. HIGHLY recommend the roasted dates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fast paced and disorganizedMaydelleDined on 10/3/2014It's a fast paced atmosphere staff needs training, service was poor. The chef makes dishes as he feels like it. food got to the table very half hazardly some items never showed up This restaurant needs a manager. The "bar" was crowded with half bottles of water the staffs drinks and dirty dishes it was like the patients were running the insane asylum Desperate need of management and staff training and getting the chef inlineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Always wanted to try this place. We had a great meal. Server was fabulous. Sat outside near the heat lamps. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmSarahAnneDined on 9/20/2014I was a little hesitant about going to this place because I noticed it was never that busy or at least as busy as other places in WC. But the food was absolutely amazing. The meatballs were melt in your mouth and the lobster/crab cakes were so good with the mango salsa. However, the other reviews were spot on with the lobster mac and cheese. It wasn't as good as it good have been. The flavors were there but the pasta was too mushy. It was almost as if it was mac and cheese off of a buffet that sat for a while. But overall very good meal.Special Features:
- If you love foodacookwholuvs2eatoutDined on 9/20/2014great tasty fun food. I don't usually like to share but the way the food is portioned and presented I was ok with it. The only down side is we ordered too much food. If you are getting the meat dishes, 2 per person is plenty - we were stuffed with three each as our waitres recommened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice restaurant good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We had great service and great to share. They say small tappas dishes but I thought the portions were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- accommodating, tasty, byolikes2eatOutDined on 9/5/2014They accommodated a large group (14 of us) including a few who arrived late with no problems. The chef's choice tasting menu was an excellent value and delicious. more food than we could eat and great selection, so something to please everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!gturner228Dined on 8/29/2014Service was slow at first (and restaurant was almost empty), but it improved. The waitress recommended we order two to three items per person. Three seemed like a lot to us, so we each ordered two. We had the crab cakes, ribs, cheese fondue, and scallops. All were excellent. For dessert we had the brownie sundae, which was excellent as well. We're looking forward to going back so we can try more of the fabulous offerings on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool little placeneverskydivingagainVIPDined on 8/22/2014great location, follows the spirit of tapas, if not the informal-ness of a lot of tapas places in Spain, good for a date or low-key dinner with friendsSpecial Features:
- Best in a long time...byrd58Dined on 8/14/2014We enjoyed a wonderfully leisure "tapas" meal here with good friends! Over 2 hours of scrumptious food, good conversation and wine (BYOB) and will definitely go back, just the two of us for special nights out in the future!Special Features:
- SurprisedSpencerVIPDined on 8/13/2014One waitress trying to serve eight tables, and she wasn't even a good waitress. Restaurant ambiance was ok, looks like a hobby restaurant, one table had paperwork, bills and other stuff on it. Food was very good, for a Tapas restaurant not a large selection.Special Features:
- Olive Branch Tapas West ChesterMattDined on 8/2/2014We decided on the Olive Branch Tapas while visiting West Chester, PA. Our group go six ordered a varity of dishes (it is Tapas after all..) and nearly every dish was delicious. We were impressed and honestly pleasantly surprised. The restraunt does not serve alcohol which to us not being from the area was strange. For a Saturday evening the resturant was quiet, but that probably had to do with the Iron Hill Twilight Criterium taking place a block away. If you're in the area, check out the Olive Branch Tapas, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Olive branch accommodated our request to sit outside which was really nice, their outdoor area is very quaint and attractive. It took us a little while to actually be able to order our food and it seemed like the restaurant really wanted us to order the tasting menu- however we had multiple diet restrictions at our table and as soon as we said that they suggested we order separate dishes. The food came out at scattered times ( which we knew was going to happen) but everything tasted delicious and our server was very nice and helpful!Special Features:
- The following 38 reviews are from the Olive Branch Tapas Restaurant reviews archive.
- Nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Nice night. Okay food. Great service. Nice outdoor ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to get rightchrispyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Serving tapas is a hard concept to get right and Olive Branch didn't succeed all that well. It takes a lot of effort and more trips to the kitchen since each dish is small. The communication between server and diner must be clear. In what order should the dishes be served? For two people should that be two at a time or one? Are they going to be shared or not? The answers are probably different for each table and the server needs to serve each table accordingly. Here, the communication wasn't very good and we got what we got when the server decided to bring it out (or when it was ready in the kitchen) which is typical for a mediocre tapas place. The food was fine and we may try again but be more aggressive with how we want the food served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service orientedAquarianstyleDined on 6/15/2014The food was delightful but what really stood out for me was the incredible customer service. The servers really do work as a team and make the dining experience enjoyable. I never waited for anything, yet I never felt rushed either. The servers were personable and kind. I was very happy here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good .... not greatrcwestchesterVIPDined on 6/14/2014We enjoyed our dinner here, however, the menu posted on OpenTable is NOT the menu at the restaurant. I believe this restaurant changed to the Tapas format and has not updated their posted menu. The food was good, we were encouraged to order all of our choices at once, and told that the kitchen would pace the delivery of the plates we ordered. The food came out too fast. We needed to ask them to slow up...we couldn't comfortably fit all the plates on the small table. Overall, we enjoyed the food, would like to try for lunch.
- Love This Place!!!DpitVIPDined on 5/25/2014Finally visited this place with my friends visiting from our hometown - we had an awesome brunch. We did the family style at 15$ a person and it was just our style of eating. It had a little bit of everything and the food came out in courses so our table wasn't overloaded with food. Everything tasted amazing. I can't wait to go back for a lunch, dinner, or to experience that brunch again. It's a BYO which is awesome though they do have times that they have complimentary mimosas. Go to this restaurant!! Eat. Relax. And enjoy downtown West Chester!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before WC story slamIanZRighterDined on 5/13/2014Shared tapas and a nice bottle of Chilean Carmeneure with a friend at an outdoor table before walking down the street to the monthly WC story slam. Shared the lobster mac 'n cheese, flank steak in blue cheese butter, eggplant risotto and ginger chili salmon. The tastes were each individual and very remarkable. Which did I like the best...Yes!! I highly recommend Olive Branch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very prices for no portionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We were at a family style Mother's Day brunch we each had 2-3 tea spoons per person per course. The waiter did not know what he was serving . Other staff were setting up other table and carry chairs over our heads . Tables are not large enough to support a family style serving . Very expensive for very little food .Special Features:
- Good Tapas TimesLuvtodineDined on 5/10/2014Waitress was attentive and friendly, water glasses were always full but the food took forever to come and it was scattered service. Servers seemed confused and unorganized. A head server/manager is a must for Olive Branch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meetingMS17Dined on 4/30/2014This site was excellent for meeting friends and sharing with out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and fillingTheJestersDined on 4/26/2014The portions were good sized for tapas. Each plate had plenty of the featured ingredients and plenty for a tasty bite for two people. We brought home plenty of leftovers with a 80 dollar tab. We could have ordered and spent less and be quite satisfied but it was our first time there so we wanted to explore a variety of options. I will return there again with friends. Always great to find a creative and tasty byob with lots of food options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VG... if you can wait for itpv2goVIPDined on 4/26/2014I understand the concept of tapas and "things come out as they are cooked"... but to have everyone in our party FINISHED their meals except for one person's entree and wait for almost 30 minutes to then sit there and watch him eat by himself is not a smart system. Good when it came, but after that experience and talking to others who have had the same experience will probably not go back.
- Not real TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014Very disappoint experience. Anyone who raves about the Tapas here has never had real Tapas. The flatbreads looked and tasted like frozen pizza. The sausage plate was like mid-western sausage, not tapas. The chorizo was formed into a burger patty. The seared tuna was fluorescent pink and looked almost fake, and was very bland.
- Delish7seasdinerDined on 4/5/2014We dined here with a large crew of ladies in April and could not have been more pleased. The only notable negative was the chairs were uncomfortable for extended seating.Special Features:
- Interesting dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014The food and atmosphere are great. Service was great too. We were a group of 4 and ordered the chef tasting. Enjoyed it much, but next time will order off the menu as one of our friends was not a fan of the main ingredients of a few of the dishes. Definitely recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/30/2014Is all that comes to mind as I am completing this review. I'd never been to this establishment but was more than pleasantly surprised. The tapas dishes were very well prepared, absolutely tasty and the service and attentiveness of their staff was outstanding. Without question, I would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceRandigVIPDined on 3/29/2014We loved the food, ambiance and the energetic crowd. Best of all the service was outstanding. We loved that when our table was filled with food, our server told the kitchen to slow down and give us time to savor our dishes. We will most defiantly visit again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to rave aboutSodaTheCat1Dined on 3/29/2014My wife and I had multiple dishes. The meat lovers flat bread had the meat haphazardly thrown onto the flat bread and lacked any taste. It was not visually appealing. The portobello napoleon was lacking taste as well. The poached pear salad had little gorgonzoa cheese. The asian tuna was prepared well. The avocados were not ripe and were hard.
- Great little spot in west Chester!StephDined on 3/29/2014Olive branch is perfect for a date night, girls night and even a night out with couples. Food comes as it is ready and everything is incredible. Lobster max& cheese was to die for!Special Features:
- Thia was a lovely dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Thia was a lovely dining experience with very friendly and helpful servers. It is a tapas menu but with fairly large portions. We ordered 3 each which was more than enough...could have just gotten two each. The cheese fondue was wonderful. Remember to BYO bottle of wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTyoung519Dined on 3/8/2014The food was excellent. The restaurant is small. Great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there for lunch withLorenzoDined on 2/18/2014Went there for lunch with a guest. Wonderful place. Great selection of tapas. Highly recommend. BYOB keeps price very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our usualTeriDined on 2/16/2014Olive Branch is one of our favorite spots. My boyfriend and I go there on special occasions. The food is always excellent! We have never had anything we didn't love and we enjoy trying new things every time. Marie and John are such gracious hosts and always make us feel welcomed. All of the staff are very friendly. The Olive Branch is definitely one place we will keep coming back to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy on Valentine's Day!JohnDined on 2/14/2014Went with the girlfriend on Valentine's and it was packed! It's a small place to begin with, and all the tables for 2 made it a little tight. The staff was definitely overwhelmed, but they made a good effort to do their best - our waiter was obviously stressed but was working hard to keep everyone happy. The dishes came out one by one (as expected), and most were really good - particularly the artichoke dip and the tuna. Even my girlfriend (who hates tuna) loved the tuna. We were disappointed in the flank steak after hearing it was supposed to be very good, but it was tough and chewy and not really what we'd expected. Maybe we'll try it another time when they're not so busy. Overall, great experience, a good place for a nice date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.