Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
1126 Capital Trail (kirkwood highway)
Newark, DE 19711Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://oletapaslounge.com/
- Phone: 3022249378x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 11:30am-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Basque, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Since Ole Tapas! is built around providing flavorful Spanish food and drink, we do not limit our meals to our Tapas menu. Ole! takes food to your event’s location, catering events with only the best Spanish food and at the best prices possible. Our extensive catering menu of many unique Tapas, satisfies the different preferences and dietary considerations of your guests. Our catering can serve groups as small as five and go up into the hundreds. Additional services and help, including service staff, are available so that we do all work.
- Private Party Facilities: Coming Soon!
- Private Party Contact: Manuel Aguinaga 3022249378x
- Special Events: Make Ole Tapas the home for your next private party! Ole provides a unique atmosphere with the same food and wine that you come to expect from us, sure to make any party memorable. We offer a multi-course buffet style dinner tailored to your wishes. Please contact us for pricing and more details.
A word from Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant is an authentic tapas restaurant specializing in seasonal tapas, Spanish wine & especially family style entrees. With the warm mood lighting & upbeat Spanish music, this vibrant new restaurant will make you feel like you are in Seville, the capital of tapas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newark ›
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)special occasion (31)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (23)romantic (21)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (11)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2014Excellent Paella! Staff makes you feel like family.
- Great experienceJohnDined on 7/21/2014I enjoy tapas and this was excellent. It was the first time my dining companions had tapas and they absolutely loved it. We will be back. Service was excellent and very friendly explaining in good detail what the dishes were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has matured wellDelawareBYOBerDined on 7/18/2014This was our second time there. The first was right after it first opened several years ago; clearly the staff was in training. Now they are polished and the menu has plenty of traditional tapas and entree choices plus a variety of interesting other plates. Our server put in our order to pace the arrival of our 5 tapas plates, and they arrived hot and fresh. A very good job all around, and we plan to go back again soon, perhaps for the 'ceviche festival' they are doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a book by its coveralisonDined on 7/13/2014The standard strip mall facade does not serve the restaurant well, but one inside the delicious, authentic & beautifully prepared food will win you over. Eating tapas is a fun experience, for a date night out a group dinner. This place is a hidden gem among the other disappointing choices on Kirkwood highway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsBerkDined on 7/7/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this tapas experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceBluemargeDined on 7/5/2014Very Spanish (NOT MEXICAN). Service is great. Food is exceptional. Great for couples and groups. A real Gem. Duck tapas is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure what happenedreeserDined on 6/30/2014I have been to Ole many times. My experience this week was much different than any other time I've eaten there. Service was painfully slow, even though we were one of only five tables dining in the entire restaurant. Our waitress was friendly but inattentive. One of our dishes came out without a main ingredient, no explanation. When we asked, we were told they were out of it. We sent it back and asked if we could order something different, but no one ever came back to ask us what we'd like to replace it with. They did make up for this by allowing us to use 2 coupons instead of their usual policy of 1 per table, but it was still frustrating. Hopefully they were just having an off night, because Ole was previously one of my favorites.
- Great Find for us.RoninBearDined on 6/27/2014Never judge a book by it's cover! Was not expecting the treat within it's outward appearance. We will certainly retun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST Spanish cuisine in DEakd0714Dined on 6/26/2014I've been going to Ole Tapas for years and I must say it is by far my favorite Spanish restaurant, and overall my favorite spot in Delaware. The food is always amazing. The staff is friendly and helpful. I will be going here for years to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AAA++++++OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2014Went on a date and had a great time.... Good and service was excellent!!!! We are going back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAHOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014The service was great. We were seated promptly at a very comfortable booth and our beverage order was taken right away. Servers were knowledgable, friendly and attentive. We had Queso Frito and Ceviche as Tappas and for main course, Churasco and Picanha. Tres Leches followed for dessert. All was excellent. Will definaty go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole!KristinaDined on 6/20/2014My bf and I dined at Ole Tapas on 6/20 and really enjoyed it. We started with a pitcher of the red sangria and thought it was great! We ordered 2 items off of the regular menu; salmon ceviche and steak with chimichuri sauce and they were perfect! They were both so incredibly deliscious and flavorful, we wanted to order more but held back. They were having a Latin American Food Festival which had a special menu so we also ordered 2 items from there; papas al la hurancha (sp?) and arroz con pollo. The papas were so good and that's saying a lot because my bf is Peruvian and his family makes the best! We weren't in love with the arroz con pollo...it was okay. Overall we will 100% be back and would recommend Ole Tapas to all of our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarlaBDined on 6/15/2014Our go to place. Revolving menu and wine list - always make it interesting.Special Features:
- Excellent TapasKMartDined on 6/14/2014Great tapas selection and each one is delicious. Sangria is also very good, but if you're not a fan, plenty of other cocktails and beers to choose from. Great meal overall!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulpwoodsideVIPDined on 6/14/2014Few places keep me coming back for more the way Ole does. The patatas bravas alone would be enough reason, but the fact that the staff and owner always make you feel welcome and remembered doesn't hurt either. Each of my reviews are the same for Ole - always amazing, the food is outstanding, and the staff, inviting. Thank you again for a wonderful evening! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Unexpectedly GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/11/2014We chose this restaurant for dinner based on reviews on the internet whilst on holidays. Food was amazingly creative, fresh and tasty. Smaller dishes allowed us to try more than going with some of the standard larger meals. Lentil stew, lamb meatballs and molten chocolate cake were outstanding as were the available cocktails and mixed drinks. Need to revisit next time we are Delaware to try the scallops which sounded delicious but unfortunately they had run out by the time we ordered. Staff and owner were genuinely friendly with no pretensions and willing to explain dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014We working in area from out of town and tried Ole Tapas, everything was wonderful and was best meal we have had on the road in a whileI would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Meals in NewarkksalaDined on 5/31/2014Everything about Ole Tapas is amazing. I went there for my birthday/graduation celebration and had the best time. Great portions to share, and ends up being pretty reasonable for the amount of food and the quality.Special Features:
- hole in the wallgugooly33Dined on 5/31/2014Although Ole doesn't seem too appealing from the front, this restaurant had lots to offer! It was beautiful inside, and with opentable, I booked a reservation for 10 people. They were able to sit us instantly and began drink orders. The menus offered a variety of foods! The tapas were large and the cheese plate was delicious. Tapas we ordered were: salmon croqutas, paella croquetas, lamb meatballs, duck, curried chicken, curried beans, flatbread, chorizo sliders, and more. We were hungry! They were all amazing and we had leftovers to take home. We were really impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placemartidollDined on 5/30/2014it was a wee bit busier than when we have been before and the service was not as good (still pretty good though always is better than most)> Also they had us down as reservation for 6 and we were a two party reservation and then we were sat at the world's smallest table right in the main traffic area. Bit stressful having plates of tapas on a small table with people zooming by. But it worked and food was excellent as always. Great place. Just pick your times and days so you arent in there when it is packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience!FranDined on 5/30/2014We haven't been back to Ole Tapas for a while... And thought it would be fun for our 30something kids to enjoy a different meal. We were right on: lots of great Tapas dishes for all of us to enjoy. No room for dessert.. It was lovely to make so many different choices. And service could not have been better! Ole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!DelawareFoodiesDined on 5/24/2014Awesome as always. Great place to bring your friends. I can't wait to try the suckling roasted pig!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceDSSCDined on 5/23/2014Great place for weekly dinner specials and staff service for a special occasion. We were very pleased that our reservation time was able to be changed on the same day and found the specials for the evening and the staff extremely accommodating. We will definitely go back and try their happy hour drink and food specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gigiVIPDined on 5/17/2014Went here with my daughter for a mother/daughter dinner. Her first time there and trying tapas. We ordered the scallops, omlets and kale. Our favorite was the kale with blue cheese. Outstanding! Sangria was very refreshing. So great to try something new and will be going back again! John, our server, was great! Love the booths by the bar. Only draw back - guitar music was nice but had a hard time talking to each other.Special Features:
- Mothers Day/BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014We celebrated Mother's Day and my daughters 25th Birthday at Ole Tapas and had a great time. The food was delicious. We would order 3-4 tapas at a time and the food kept coming and coming. I love that Meddertarian style of eating.Special Features:
- Great experience!MommaJLGDined on 5/11/2014We decided to try this restaurant for Mother's Day at the encouraging of our daughter who had been there twice with her high school Spanish class. We thoroughly enjoyed trying Tapas for the first time, and everything was great! Our waitress, Kat was very helpful and everything was brought out in a very timely manner. We can't wait to go back to try the paella; it takes a little longer to prepare and we didn't have enough time.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBajanDivaDined on 5/10/2014It is so nice to visit a neighborhood non-chain restaurant. Have enjoyed every visit to Ole. The food is always appropriately seasoned--and fresh. The owner is attentive to the customers--ensuring that he at least greets everyone. The scallops are amazing--fresh, sweeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 3FavoriteDined on 4/28/2014This is one of my top 3 restaurants in the US. The food is amazing and the wine list, although not large, is incredible.Special Features:
- Terrific!CPB1Dined on 4/26/2014We took our son to Ole Tapas for his 21st birthday. We ordered about a dozen different items off of the tapas menu, and everything was delicious. The service was friendly and attentive. We had a terrific meal and will definitely be dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best experience herePyatachokVIPDined on 4/26/2014Once in a while when we pass through on 95 we stop to eat here. Most of the time our experiences are great, sometimes just good,but this time it was disappointing in food and in service particular. The waiter was pushing his opinions on us to the point of such unpleasantness that it literally ruined the meal. And the taste of the familiar dishes was also not quite the same. It's a pity if this is a trend. We love this place and wish them well, but another experience like this and that will be it for us.
- Good food. Service could be better.asdfDined on 4/25/2014Reserved a table for 7:30. Got there at 7:20 and, after checking in at the front, sat at the bar; we were offered a small table in the middle of the floor right by the front door and asked to sit somewhere else so we knew we might have to wait. (Those two small tables should be removed. Most people would feel uncomfortable eating there, especially on a date.) Had to flag down the bartender at the bar to order wine even though it wasn't very busy. Wine poured around 7:35. Table available around 7:50. Server very energetic to the point of being a bit annoying, but still was fairly slow in providing menus and taking our orders. I hadn't eaten there probably a year and the food is still good.Special Features:
- Ole Tapas Lounge & RestaurantLocalVIPDined on 4/19/2014We tried Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant for the first time for lunch. Our server Juan was very welcoming and knowledgeable. He described all the menu items and specials with great passion. He was like our personal tour guide for the afternoon. Tapas is a great way to try many different tastes without becoming too full. Then you can reorder more of your favorites! We enjoyed the fig wrapped in bacon, the Spanish meatballs, Muscles and the steak. We'll return for dinner sometime to try the larger plates and the Paella.Special Features:
- Almost there . . .JimLVIPDined on 4/15/2014Everything was one step from REALLY good. The Honey Fig drink had a bit too much OJ that was a bit too sweet. The Sangria had a bit too much fruit and ice. The server had a bit too many tables. The Blue Cheese flat bread had just a bit too much cheese. The lamb empenada was a bit too crispy. The coffee came out a bit too much before the dessert. The rice pudding had a bit too much orange zest. Everything was VERY close -- but sometimes too much of a good thing is still too much.Special Features:
- Tapas?MarkDined on 4/8/2014The selection wasn't very good minimal tapas I have been in others and there were profoundly more on the tapas side of the menu when nothing struck my fancy the main menu had even less to choose from. One shrimp tapas! One and only in garlic no roja or verde sauce as in others but asked if they could reply my response was they were out of shrimp this was 6:30 in the evening my guest and I were one of two couples there and two patrons at the bar. How do you even open a restaurant with a history of seafood and no shrimp. Huge disappointment. Very good sangria.Special Features:
- Great for "Tapas" conceptDelawareJeffDined on 4/6/2014As always, the food was excpetionally prepared, seasoned, and presented. The entire Spanish "tapas" experience is fun and unique. Our server had vast knowledge of the food and cuisine, and recommended several outstanding dishes. We went for a romantic dinner, but Ole Tapas would be great for groups due to the "sharing" concept of tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 422 reviews are from the Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food. Great drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Great food. Great drinks. Nice friendly service everytime we go. Nothing else around here like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant outingAnkiDined on 3/21/2014quiet ambience with delicious meals, friendly, discrete yet helpful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas placePyatachokVIPDined on 3/2/2014As always we had a wonderful experience. The food is very flavorful, the service is very nice and attentive, and the ambiance (particularly sitting in the boot) and a tastefully chosen Spanish music makes you feel very cozy and relaxed. Very affordable for the quality and quantity of the food. Thank you Ole Tapas for another great experience.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerBirthdaydinerDined on 3/1/2014This was our first time at OleTapas and we were there for my birthday. The good was good and we had a really nice time. The service was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodChloeDined on 2/28/2014As usual,Ole Tapas, did not disappoint! As their tapas are consistently excellent,we decided to try one of the entree specials:Baby lambchops with truffle mashed potatoes and grilled zucchini. A rich and satisfying dish with wonderful flavor combinations .Zucchini edges were a little difficult to chew is the only complaint. Flan for dessert was lick the spoon delicious. And they serve French press coffee as well as many other coffee choices. Our server was attentive and provided helpful recommendations.And the owner frequenting the room and periodically checking in with the customers was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.