Old Venice - Point Loma
2910 Canon St
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Old Venice - Point Loma
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldvenicerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192225888x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Old Venice - Point Loma
Family owned and operated for over 30 years. Old Venice is the perfect place to enjoy time with the ones you love. Tastefully decorated, with multiple dining areas including our garden patios and bar featuring live music. You will immediately be enraptured with the European ambiance of one of San Diego’s finest dining venues.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Venice - Point Loma reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)romantic (38)special occasion (36)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (16)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice service, good food, got noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014We started out in the bar--where we had booked an Open Table reservation. The staff in the bar did not know about reservations, but invited us to any open table and we found a good one. Service was very nice. Friendly, reasonably fast, got our orders right, kept us hydrated--until a large group entered the bar. They pretty much took over all the corner space, encroaching on us and our neighbors. They were loud, sitting 8 to a table, bumping into those of us who had been sitting and eating before they descended on us. It killed the vibe for us. It also caused service speed and quality to decline by diluting the server's attention. Lastly, once the band starts, talking was impossible. We hurried out and went down the road.Special Features:
- missi the OLD VeniceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Not quite up to par. Miss the old menu. This used to be a family favorite. We'll try it again in 6 months or so, hoping it regains some of its old magic...Our recent visits have been quite disappointing - but we're not ready to write it off.Special Features:
- Very good place to eathoneymoonerDined on 8/9/2014I remember this being the place to get one of the best lunches in town, after moving away from San Diego for 12 years, I went back for my honeymoon and had dinner for the first time there and was blown away with it all. The only I would change is the parking. It can be hard to find a spot near by and some times you have to go about two to three blocks away to get spot but that is more because of the area just having a lot to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT LUNCHJustJuan55Dined on 8/8/2014i went during lunch around 1 PM on Saturday 8-9-14 and it was amazing. It was only me and my fiance, WE had the whole thing to our self it was perfect. Bobby took care of us. I asked if i could get breaded shrimp and the chef did it! taste was great. i got a mojito it was a little strong i asked bobby if he can add more juice and with out hesitation he did and came back it was legit. we came the night before and it was PACKED! alot of people in a good way. bar was full music was bumping. so if you want quiet come in the day and something fast and louder come at night.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerFoodwfamilyDined on 8/8/2014Went with our family and everyone had an amazing experience from the food to the friendly hospitality! One of our favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- Great Ambience, So-So ServicenaturallyhealthylifeDined on 8/1/2014This is the 2nd time I have gone to Old Venice for a special occasion. Last time, I wrote that it was my best friend's 21st birthday, and I requested them to bring the Homemade Old Venice Cookie as our dessert (of course we would pay for it) so it could be a surprise for the birthday girl. Not only did they completely neglect this request, they completely ignored her birthday and didn't mention it once. Regardless, I loved the atmosphere, so I brought my boyfriend here for our 3rd anniversary 2 days ago. I wrote that it was our anniversary on the reservation, and again, no acknowledgement of that whatsoever. I am starting to wonder why this establishment even uses Open Table. I will go somewhere else for special occasions now.Special Features:
- Good ServiceSteveDined on 8/1/2014Old Venice came highly recommended to us, but my dinner was just ok and my wife's ravioli was bland. Too many of the items on the menu were stated as "spicy" which isn't to our liking and didn't leave much selection for us. There was only one other table with someone eating so it was very quiet. There were a lot of pizza take-out orders so I think we should have had the pizza instead. The service was great and our server was very friendly.Special Features:
- Fabulous Foodlove2eatoutDined on 7/27/2014We just recently found this restaurant and we have been their 3 times in 3 months. Pizzas are delicious and cooked to perfection. We order something new every time we go.Special Features:
- Still going strongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014After a 10 year absence it is still a great restaurant. The décor still provides lots of memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old world charm a thing of the pastcriticDined on 7/19/2014Between the loud gypsy kings cover band and the wait staff constantly breaking down tables and dragging chairs around throughout our whole dinner, I would not recommend this place. Used to come here 10 years ago. I would say good for families and boisterous groups.
- Wonderful anniversary dinner....JandKinCODined on 7/18/2014My wife and I were in town for our 10th anniversary and had previously dined at Old Venice. The manager specifically went out of her way to help with my request to have a dozen roses delivered to the dinner as part of this special occasion. Additionally the food and ambiance were spectacular as we remembered it! I would highly recommend this restaurant and cannot wait to go back on our next trip. Thank you again for making it a great experience!Special Features:
- KathyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2014Great place to go before a concert at Humphrey's. We enjoyed sitting out on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemWinkDined on 7/13/2014We went to Old Venice on the recommendation of a friend and what a great recommendation it was. This was the best Italian food that my wife and I have experienced in years. The concern by the staff for the quality of your meal was second to none. While we were just visiting San Diego I would definitely make this a must place to eat. My only regret is that we don't have one in Gainesville, Florida.Special Features:
- Must've been first impressionWhateverDined on 7/10/2014Went here for our first date 15 years ago and a couple of dates in between. Returned for our tenth wedding anniversary last week. They did make a nice attempt at our celebrating by giving us a free tiramisu with Congratulations scrawled in chocolate. The service was decent. Got cold sitting outside so we asked for the heater to be turned on. That took a while but the manager did come by and offer to drag a portable heater over to our table when the overhead heater wouldn't work. Didn't get a candle put on our table until the last couple sitting outside near us left. Then we were given theirs... Food was okay. Kind of would've expected more for $100. Baked feta app was good, although the olive flavor was a tad strong.Special Features:
- Mangia BeneGajaDined on 6/29/2014Great restaurant near Humphrey's. First time there before concert, easy 1 minute drive to Humphrey's. Food was great as was the atmosphere on the patio. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great FoodArbuckleDined on 6/26/2014Yes, great food. But be prepared to walk a block or two as parking is at a premium.Special Features:
- Delicious food!CriscoDined on 6/26/2014We hadn't been to Old Venice in a long time, so it was good to come back. We had tickets for a show at Humphrey's, so this is a great location if you want somewhere to go to dinner before a show. The food, as always, was delicious. The shrimp stuffed with crab was to die for, as was the lasagna! I only wish I could have taken my leftover lasagna home with me (nice sized portion!), but I didn't have a way to keep it cold. :-(Special Features:
- Great ItaliansrickmVIPDined on 6/22/2014Everything was delicious and service was great. Plates large so consider smaller portions if you're not starved.Special Features:
- Good dinnerPastaDined on 6/17/2014We enjoyed the pasta special (Tues. buy one get one free) before heading over to Humphreys for a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2014On a recent vacation in San Diego my husband and I stopped in to Old Venice at Point Loma. It is a lovely restaurant - tucked on a neighborhood side street. While we had a pleasant experience - it was pricey and the food was not exceptional.Special Features:
- Loved it!nindrewDined on 6/5/2014I recently heard from a friend to try Old Venice. It was a wonderful experience. The food was on point and tasted like my family's italian so I felt like a kid again! Great place to take friends in town or if in the mood for Italian "comfort food". Wine selection was good and delicious. I felt like was a little pricey for the some of the entrees, however, the portions are good sized. The service was great, everyone was lending a helping hand and friendly. Thanks again!Special Features:
- Too loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We were placed in a small table for two right behind & very close to a party of 10, so it was extremely noisy! The restaurant in itself was very loud. Not the place to go for a romantic dinner. It's hard to even speak unless your shouting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prom2014Dined on 5/31/2014I went to Old Venice with a group of 12 people for prom. They did have a bit of trouble trying to seat all of us in the same place but it worked out in the end. The food was great and the atmosphere was greater. Every one of my party members gave it a thumbs up and thanked me for choosing that restaurant. Service wasn't anything spectacular but at the same time I can't say anything ill of them. It was a wonderful experience and I would without a doubt come back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PL NeighborhoodneighborhoodgalDined on 5/25/2014Food and service was very good although I thought over priced. Very nice atmosphere and a gem to have in the neighborhood. I would find some outstanding quality bread for standard table service. Aside from sesame seeds bread was soft and tasteless - was surprised. Seafood risotto, cilantro pesto shrimp/squid ink noodles and salmon were all delicious. Good to have some parking behind restaurant otherwise along the street. Also very helpful that they accept reservations - at least at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special anniversaryWhippet2Dined on 5/19/2014Did not disappoint. Excellent service by Andre. We are chicago Italians and picky. This was as good as we make at home.Special Features:
- Romantic, Charming and Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014This is a not to be missed place when you want a charming patio with great Italian food. We come back over and over and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Went for my graduation lunch. Awful service. Waitress spilled water on my mom while pouring water and didn't apologize. Pizzas were soggy and pasta was undercooked (noodles still hard). Very disappointed because I had such a great time with yummy food during restaurant week and was hoping for the same level of service.
- ExcellentOlive72Dined on 5/3/2014Great place , staff friendly table was ready via open table resor...chic décor yet not over the top...food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old VeniceMyFavsDined on 5/3/2014Bella! Love this quaint restaurant lots of options for Italian classic or modern great lighting and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- change in service qualityJonathanDined on 5/2/2014We have enjoyed previous dinning visits to old world Venice however last night was disappointing as service was slow and we had to ask for basics that the server should know . I hope th I s was a fluke and not a trendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 106 reviews are from the Old Venice - Point Loma reviews archive.
- Reliably great!goodfood4everDined on 4/28/2014We have been dining at Old Venice for over 16 years. Cozy neighborhood Italian restaurant with live music in the bar on the weekends. Seafood risotto is fabulous, with generous amounts of shrimp, scallops and fish. Rigatoni Bolognese is rich and tasty. Grilled salmon is done to perfection with great roasted red potatoes. Surf and turf was a real surprise - not really Italian, but absolutely delicious. Wines are reasonably priced, and the cocktails are expertly made and generous servings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PcolaFoodieDined on 4/26/2014Live in San carlos and love your food! Wish you had another location in town closer, but still worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Everytimeluv2eatDined on 4/25/2014Enjoyed a wonderful dinner with friends at Old Venice. Food is fabulous..never had a bad meal. Save room for the Choc. chip Cookie dessert. A bit crowded when restaurant is busy, but differentl dining options( inside or outside) can help. Worth traveling outside our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food..service not so greatjamieDined on 4/24/2014Been to this restaurant many times. The food is always wonderful. Service was really lacking this time. We had a group of 6. Mentioned in the reservation it was a gal's birthday. The waiter or busboy???? Handed us the menus and water. About 20 min later a waiter came over and asked us if we were ready to order. No mention of specials, no hello,.. We gave our food orders...He never asked us if we wanted anything to drink. After lunch was finished he asked if we wanted anything else. No mention of dessert.... We asked him to see the dessert tray. Only saying a little suggestive selling on his part would have made the check a lot larger and his tip a lot bigger.... only8 other diners in the restaurant .Special Features:
- Old Venice, ChangedDonp69dspVIPDined on 4/21/2014Well the menu have change, and not good. Some of the old selections have been removed or modified. The service was removing the plates before we were done. They seemed to be in a rush. The only thing that is still the same is the noise level, very high. So, no plans to return or recommend.Special Features:
- Great placeyummyDined on 4/15/2014There were 9 people in our party. Our table was ready when we got there, no wait. Our server was very good and also personable. The food was outstanding and serving sizes just right. The paper on the table tops kept the 6 year old in our party busy all evening. The wine that was recommended by our server was excellent. Very nice overall experience.Special Features:
- Never disappointsgoodfood4everDined on 4/5/2014We have been eating at Old Venice for over 16 years, and the food is consistently great. Delicious pastas, perfect pizzas and wonderful fresh salads with their signature blue cheese vinaigrette dressing. Service is attentive but not intrusive and the managers are very "hands-on". Great neighborhood Italian restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked into the Point Loma neighborbeachloverDined on 3/28/2014This restaurant is divided into a festive bar, interior restaurant , and a lovely covered patio in the rear. We enjoyed terrific meals in a private atmosphere of he patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemCarolVIPDined on 3/15/2014After a day at Sea World we wanted something Italian. Open up my Open Table app, searched and found Old Venice. No trouble getting there, parking was easy. They seated us on the patio. Appetizers were fabulous as well as the wine. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Venice has been a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Old Venice has been a gem of San Diego for a long time. Whether it is a romantic dinner for two or taking our 4 kids out to dinner Old Venice is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.