Old Venice - Point Loma
2910 Canon St
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Old Venice - Point Loma
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldvenicerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192225888x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Old Venice - Point Loma
Family owned and operated for over 30 years. Old Venice is the perfect place to enjoy time with the ones you love. Tastefully decorated, with multiple dining areas including our garden patios and bar featuring live music. You will immediately be enraptured with the European ambiance of one of San Diego’s finest dining venues.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Venice - Point Loma reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)romantic (44)great for outdoor dining (43)special occasion (34)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (21)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (9)notable wine list (8)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, nothing fancyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Overall good, I would maybe go back. Food was pretty good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old VeniceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Have written a review for the OBRag.org. If you want to see what I thought of the restaurant, check it out there later this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemEricBDined on 9/23/2014Intimate neighborhood restaurant with excellent Italian food. Very quiet at lunch time. A great spot for a business meeting. There is an outdoor patio at the back of the restaurant but I've never been seated there. It's busy on weekend nights but I'm not sure about weekday nights. We went this week for the Restaurant Week $10 lunch special which was obviously a great value. It came with a wonderful salad and the Spaghetti Carbonara I ordered was very good with lots of pancheta.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week DinerAhall615Dined on 9/21/2014My husband and I came here for San Diego restaurant week. Everything we ordered was delicious and the service was great. We will be back again someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The food was excellent and our waitress was a gemSpecial Features:
- Well done!!FirstDateDined on 9/18/2014I was referred to Old Venice (OV) by a friend. I was looking for a place to that I could take a first date and have couple drinks and some dinner. OV was a hit. The staff were amazing, the food was awesome and sharing the experience with a beautiful was even better. I would highly recommend OV and I will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely PlaceChefsyDined on 9/13/2014Old Venice is really a lovely, little restaurant. Most of the food was extraordinary, especially the Flat Bread Foccacia. The only complaint I had was the Bolognese. This is one of my favorite things to eat and I also make it myself. I rarely find the execution of this dish in a restaurant done well and Old Venice was not the exception. What I got was something much more akin to Lasagna made with Rigatoni noodles. It was NOT Bolognese. But everything else was absolutely delicious. The ambience is also charming. It is a great place to sit with friends/family and dine and talk.Special Features:
- Nice service, good food, got noisyCarefulEyeDined on 8/22/2014We started out in the bar--where we had booked an Open Table reservation. The staff in the bar did not know about reservations, but invited us to any open table and we found a good one. Service was very nice. Friendly, reasonably fast, got our orders right, kept us hydrated--until a large group entered the bar. They pretty much took over all the corner space, encroaching on us and our neighbors. They were loud, sitting 8 to a table, bumping into those of us who had been sitting and eating before they descended on us. It killed the vibe for us. It also caused service speed and quality to decline by diluting the server's attention. Lastly, once the band starts, talking was impossible. We hurried out and went down the road.Special Features:
- missi the OLD VeniceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Not quite up to par. Miss the old menu. This used to be a family favorite. We'll try it again in 6 months or so, hoping it regains some of its old magic...Our recent visits have been quite disappointing - but we're not ready to write it off.Special Features:
- Very good place to eathoneymoonerDined on 8/9/2014I remember this being the place to get one of the best lunches in town, after moving away from San Diego for 12 years, I went back for my honeymoon and had dinner for the first time there and was blown away with it all. The only I would change is the parking. It can be hard to find a spot near by and some times you have to go about two to three blocks away to get spot but that is more because of the area just having a lot to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT LUNCHJustJuan55Dined on 8/8/2014i went during lunch around 1 PM on Saturday 8-9-14 and it was amazing. It was only me and my fiance, WE had the whole thing to our self it was perfect. Bobby took care of us. I asked if i could get breaded shrimp and the chef did it! taste was great. i got a mojito it was a little strong i asked bobby if he can add more juice and with out hesitation he did and came back it was legit. we came the night before and it was PACKED! alot of people in a good way. bar was full music was bumping. so if you want quiet come in the day and something fast and louder come at night.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerFoodwfamilyDined on 8/8/2014Went with our family and everyone had an amazing experience from the food to the friendly hospitality! One of our favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- Great Ambience, So-So ServicenaturallyhealthylifeDined on 8/1/2014This is the 2nd time I have gone to Old Venice for a special occasion. Last time, I wrote that it was my best friend's 21st birthday, and I requested them to bring the Homemade Old Venice Cookie as our dessert (of course we would pay for it) so it could be a surprise for the birthday girl. Not only did they completely neglect this request, they completely ignored her birthday and didn't mention it once. Regardless, I loved the atmosphere, so I brought my boyfriend here for our 3rd anniversary 2 days ago. I wrote that it was our anniversary on the reservation, and again, no acknowledgement of that whatsoever. I am starting to wonder why this establishment even uses Open Table. I will go somewhere else for special occasions now.Special Features:
- Good ServiceSteveDined on 8/1/2014Old Venice came highly recommended to us, but my dinner was just ok and my wife's ravioli was bland. Too many of the items on the menu were stated as "spicy" which isn't to our liking and didn't leave much selection for us. There was only one other table with someone eating so it was very quiet. There were a lot of pizza take-out orders so I think we should have had the pizza instead. The service was great and our server was very friendly.Special Features:
- Fabulous Foodlove2eatoutDined on 7/27/2014We just recently found this restaurant and we have been their 3 times in 3 months. Pizzas are delicious and cooked to perfection. We order something new every time we go.Special Features:
- Still going strongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014After a 10 year absence it is still a great restaurant. The décor still provides lots of memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old world charm a thing of the pastcriticDined on 7/19/2014Between the loud gypsy kings cover band and the wait staff constantly breaking down tables and dragging chairs around throughout our whole dinner, I would not recommend this place. Used to come here 10 years ago. I would say good for families and boisterous groups.
- Wonderful anniversary dinner....JandKinCODined on 7/18/2014My wife and I were in town for our 10th anniversary and had previously dined at Old Venice. The manager specifically went out of her way to help with my request to have a dozen roses delivered to the dinner as part of this special occasion. Additionally the food and ambiance were spectacular as we remembered it! I would highly recommend this restaurant and cannot wait to go back on our next trip. Thank you again for making it a great experience!Special Features:
- KathyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2014Great place to go before a concert at Humphrey's. We enjoyed sitting out on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemWinkDined on 7/13/2014We went to Old Venice on the recommendation of a friend and what a great recommendation it was. This was the best Italian food that my wife and I have experienced in years. The concern by the staff for the quality of your meal was second to none. While we were just visiting San Diego I would definitely make this a must place to eat. My only regret is that we don't have one in Gainesville, Florida.Special Features:
- Must've been first impressionWhateverDined on 7/10/2014Went here for our first date 15 years ago and a couple of dates in between. Returned for our tenth wedding anniversary last week. They did make a nice attempt at our celebrating by giving us a free tiramisu with Congratulations scrawled in chocolate. The service was decent. Got cold sitting outside so we asked for the heater to be turned on. That took a while but the manager did come by and offer to drag a portable heater over to our table when the overhead heater wouldn't work. Didn't get a candle put on our table until the last couple sitting outside near us left. Then we were given theirs... Food was okay. Kind of would've expected more for $100. Baked feta app was good, although the olive flavor was a tad strong.Special Features:
- Mangia BeneGajaDined on 6/29/2014Great restaurant near Humphrey's. First time there before concert, easy 1 minute drive to Humphrey's. Food was great as was the atmosphere on the patio. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great FoodArbuckleDined on 6/26/2014Yes, great food. But be prepared to walk a block or two as parking is at a premium.Special Features:
- Delicious food!CriscoDined on 6/26/2014We hadn't been to Old Venice in a long time, so it was good to come back. We had tickets for a show at Humphrey's, so this is a great location if you want somewhere to go to dinner before a show. The food, as always, was delicious. The shrimp stuffed with crab was to die for, as was the lasagna! I only wish I could have taken my leftover lasagna home with me (nice sized portion!), but I didn't have a way to keep it cold. :-(Special Features:
- Great ItaliansrickmVIPDined on 6/22/2014Everything was delicious and service was great. Plates large so consider smaller portions if you're not starved.Special Features:
- Good dinnerPastaDined on 6/17/2014We enjoyed the pasta special (Tues. buy one get one free) before heading over to Humphreys for a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantDowntownGalVIPDined on 6/14/2014On a recent vacation in San Diego my husband and I stopped in to Old Venice at Point Loma. It is a lovely restaurant - tucked on a neighborhood side street. While we had a pleasant experience - it was pricey and the food was not exceptional.Special Features:
- Loved it!nindrewDined on 6/5/2014I recently heard from a friend to try Old Venice. It was a wonderful experience. The food was on point and tasted like my family's italian so I felt like a kid again! Great place to take friends in town or if in the mood for Italian "comfort food". Wine selection was good and delicious. I felt like was a little pricey for the some of the entrees, however, the portions are good sized. The service was great, everyone was lending a helping hand and friendly. Thanks again!Special Features:
- The following 116 reviews are from the Old Venice - Point Loma reviews archive.
- Too loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We were placed in a small table for two right behind & very close to a party of 10, so it was extremely noisy! The restaurant in itself was very loud. Not the place to go for a romantic dinner. It's hard to even speak unless your shouting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prom2014Dined on 5/31/2014I went to Old Venice with a group of 12 people for prom. They did have a bit of trouble trying to seat all of us in the same place but it worked out in the end. The food was great and the atmosphere was greater. Every one of my party members gave it a thumbs up and thanked me for choosing that restaurant. Service wasn't anything spectacular but at the same time I can't say anything ill of them. It was a wonderful experience and I would without a doubt come back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PL NeighborhoodneighborhoodgalDined on 5/25/2014Food and service was very good although I thought over priced. Very nice atmosphere and a gem to have in the neighborhood. I would find some outstanding quality bread for standard table service. Aside from sesame seeds bread was soft and tasteless - was surprised. Seafood risotto, cilantro pesto shrimp/squid ink noodles and salmon were all delicious. Good to have some parking behind restaurant otherwise along the street. Also very helpful that they accept reservations - at least at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special anniversaryWhippet2Dined on 5/19/2014Did not disappoint. Excellent service by Andre. We are chicago Italians and picky. This was as good as we make at home.Special Features:
- Romantic, Charming and Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014This is a not to be missed place when you want a charming patio with great Italian food. We come back over and over and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Went for my graduation lunch. Awful service. Waitress spilled water on my mom while pouring water and didn't apologize. Pizzas were soggy and pasta was undercooked (noodles still hard). Very disappointed because I had such a great time with yummy food during restaurant week and was hoping for the same level of service.
- ExcellentOlive72Dined on 5/3/2014Great place , staff friendly table was ready via open table resor...chic décor yet not over the top...food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old VeniceMyFavsDined on 5/3/2014Bella! Love this quaint restaurant lots of options for Italian classic or modern great lighting and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- change in service qualityJonathanDined on 5/2/2014We have enjoyed previous dinning visits to old world Venice however last night was disappointing as service was slow and we had to ask for basics that the server should know . I hope th I s was a fluke and not a trendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably great!goodfood4everDined on 4/28/2014We have been dining at Old Venice for over 16 years. Cozy neighborhood Italian restaurant with live music in the bar on the weekends. Seafood risotto is fabulous, with generous amounts of shrimp, scallops and fish. Rigatoni Bolognese is rich and tasty. Grilled salmon is done to perfection with great roasted red potatoes. Surf and turf was a real surprise - not really Italian, but absolutely delicious. Wines are reasonably priced, and the cocktails are expertly made and generous servings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PcolaFoodieDined on 4/26/2014Live in San carlos and love your food! Wish you had another location in town closer, but still worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Everytimeluv2eatDined on 4/25/2014Enjoyed a wonderful dinner with friends at Old Venice. Food is fabulous..never had a bad meal. Save room for the Choc. chip Cookie dessert. A bit crowded when restaurant is busy, but differentl dining options( inside or outside) can help. Worth traveling outside our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.