Old Town Social
455 W North Ave
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Town Social
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldtownsocial.com/
- Phone: 3122662277
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jared Van Camp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Cleveland St.
- Public Transit: CTA Brown Line: Exit at the Sedgwick stop and head north to North Ave. Proceed west to the corner of North and Cleveland.
CTA Red Line: Exit at the North & Clybourn stop. Upon exiting the station head east (right) and proceed 4 blocks east past Larabee until reaching Cleveland.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Neighborhood parking available. Valet available Thursday through Saturday after 6pm.
A word from Old Town Social
Unassuming, understated simplicity. What makes an eatery great - and timeless - is its ability to create an ambiance that evokes an emotional response. At Old Town Social, we aim to offer a handcrafted return to the basics; a focus on the simple, yet often overlooked, aspects of a neighborhood favorite. In today's current climate, a night to celebrate life's simple pleasures with tasty food, handcrafted cocktails, great beer and wine, and a devil-may-care attitude is indeed a rare gift. So - to those who shun "the scene", welcome. To those who lead a sporting lifestyle, we offer a hearty embrace. We humbly hope you enjoy our rakish tip-of-the-hat...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Town Social reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (18)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (10)fit for foodies (10)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (9)romantic (8)great for brunch (7)special occasion (6)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great SpotYumAllTheTimeDined on 10/16/2014This is a great spot for casual drinks and food with a great atmosphere. For sports, groups, a date night or just craving some good food, this spot has it all. There are areas for sit down dinner or lounge/bar type areas. The drinks were well made and the beer list was expansive. The food tasted great and everyone in our party enjoyed their dinners. If we lived closer, we would make this a usual place to be.Special Features:
- Hidden GemTownieVIPDined on 10/5/2014We went for brunch and to watch the bears game. The food was great, our booth had its own TV and the place definitely has charm. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good post Second City venueChalet133VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great beers. Loved the cheese and charcuterie boards. The English burger was great. Our waitress do a great job of managing our crew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomipadVIPDined on 9/20/2014First time there and not disappointed with anything; loved the music.Special Features:
- Not as good as last yearJamieDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I went here to watch football when we visited Chicago last year. It was great! The staff was excellent. The food menu was good and all food very fresh. The bathrooms were clean. The wine, beer and drink menu was strong. We returned this year and were disappointed. Service was ok but they had problems setting up the tvs for NFL games and we nearly missed kick-off of the Bears game! The food menu was disappointing and the food was not as fresh or special. The bathrooms were not particularly dirty but not especially clean; the soap dispensers were broken and the place felt run down. The wine, beer and drink lists were still strong. We will not be back and cannot recommend it.
- Love the atmosphere and fresh foodAMYCVIPDined on 8/11/2014Loved the bohemian/shabby chic environment with delicious fresh food; very friendly service and helpful in finding the best craft beerSpecial Features:
- Great place to show a friendJessicaDined on 8/1/2014My friend was in from out of town and Old Town Social was a great place to start our night. They had interesting twists on regular American fare, such as the 3 kinds of deviled eggs, and the grilled cheese with tomato soup. I, unfortunately, was not impressed with how crisp the pork belly tacos were, but that could be a fluke. The ambiance is wonderful, the decor is also very unique and interesting. Love the lighting and the old photos, although they're creepy! Haha! I, also, unfortunately did not enjoy our waitress but we were also a larger group which is more difficult to manage. Overall, I would definitely come back but with a bit of a smaller crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhlovediningDined on 7/20/2014Came here with a large group for brunch. Our waitress was great, and we loved the atmosphere at the restaurant! The outdoor patio is lovely. However, the food and service from the kitchen fell flat. Half our party got food 15 minutes before the other half! Totally not our waitress's fault, but you'd think the manager would apologize for the discrepancy. Moving onto the food, ordered a plain side of pancakes that came out literally uncooked. My boyfriend bit into the pancakes and said "Mmm they put some sort of cream in the middle!" And I informed him that this was actually RAW PANCAKE BATTER! Disgusting. The turkey confit was OK, I hated the dressing and the turkey was a bit dry though. Highlight of the meal was the bloody mary.Special Features:
- Loved it!KGaySDined on 7/6/2014Has a great outside space (good for taking the kids) and great indoor space which is very adult and inviting. Loved the place and the brunch menu was tasty and varied. We had a great time and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/25/2014We went here with a group before an event. Service took forever, but food and drinks were wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 87 reviews are from the Old Town Social reviews archive.
- Really good experiencecarodDined on 6/21/2014I loved it. I went on a saturday. I read bad reviews about service on yelp but I had no issues. Food was awesome! Great variety, indicate gluten free and vegan on menu. Nice vintage vibe in there. It was a young crowd. I definitely recco it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hooked at the first biteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014Food was great, perfect for elevated food without a multicourse, multihour experience. Great to chat over a good cocktail and delicious food, prepared without drama!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChicagofoodfreakDined on 6/15/2014The food was delcious, the theme of the resturant and ambiance were spectular! We came right when the doors opened at 11 and had a quiet, quick and wonderful brunch. I had the eggs Sardu which were fantastic! The hashbrown casserole that comes with some dishes was also amazing! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was amazingchicagolovesfoodVIPDined on 6/8/2014We went with a group of 6 -- 3 of our group was late, but the hostess station didn't mind at all. We all ordered our drinks and food -- food came a little slow, but once it came, we were happy. We'll always come back because of the fun location and the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner before a showCoachDined on 6/7/2014This was our first time at Old Town Social. I thought the space was great, a crowd came in half way thru our meal, but I didn't feel like it got more crowded or even necessarily more loud. The food was great, as was the beer list. We enjoyed our meal, had a great view of the TVs, and overall thought it was a fantastic place, and would definitely return. Within walking distance to shows at North and Wells as well!Special Features:
- nice enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014nice evening - dining outside. chicago summer. the beet salad was fantastic. the kale salad was ok. the burgers were burnt! no one came over for a while after they were served, so we picked off the black parts and ate them. at least when i mentioned the problem, the server brought us a free batch of donut holes for dessert! nice treat. the tacos (a mix of kinds) were truly underwhelming. i think you go here for drinks/outdoor real estate. too bad, cuz i had heard the food was especially good.Special Features:
- Best burgers and amazing menu!LM2014Dined on 5/25/2014We stumbled upon OTS when going to Second City for a show. We lOVED it! We were wishing we lived in Chicago so we could visit it more. There are great options for the delicious burgers and the chopped salad is wonderful. Honestly there are so many unique twists on standard bar food that we could hardly decide. The booths are cozy and the western-industrial decor is very cool.Special Features:
- Great BrunchHappyDinerVIPDined on 5/18/2014The Bloody Mary is a work of art! The food was so good I am going back next weekend! Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afer Theater DiningLisabeDined on 5/10/2014I had read a review on the OTS burger in Timeout and thought we would give the restaurant a try. Especially, since it is walking distance from Steppenwolf. The staff was wonderful. Since it was a beautiful night we waited to sit outside, apart from the L going by, it was great. Our waitress Trish was great. My husband had the burger, I had the Chicken Banh Mi sandwich and our friends had the Po'boy sandwich and a salad. I thought the food had a lot of flavor. Outstanding cocktails, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great space, great foodsmg123Dined on 5/4/2014Went here for brunch and had a great time. The space is awesome -- large and open with a comfortable feel. The food was also great, but the bloody mary left something to be desired. I appreciate the appetizer size accompaniments, but the drink itself was pretty plain. Also, the draft beer selection was also pretty plain. But the bottle list was better. I'd definitely recommend this place for a date. They also have well-placed TVs for game-watching, but they do not dominate the space -- this is not a sports bar.Special Features:
- Kentucky Derby BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We came to OTS for their Kentucky Derby pig roast that we had seen advertised on the website as well in a CBS piece on the top Kentucky Derby Parties in Chicago. However, to our disappointment the pig had not been ordered... thus no pig roast. When we arrived for reservation a little before noon we asked if we could dine on the outdoor patio - we were informed there would be no service out there today. As we were leaving we noticed this had changed as their were several diners on their side patio. We did stay for several mimosas, appetizers, and their brunch menu which was tasty.Special Features:
- Needs to be more social!ChicGourmetVIPDined on 4/27/2014Brunch at Old Town was a bit of a mixed experience. Our food was tasty, but not fabulous. Our server was friendly, after she first brusquely informed us "it's a game day, we're geared up for crowds, and we won't do anything special" when one of us requested the "Bananas Foster French Toast" ordinarily on the menu. She rallied, however, and offered to ask the chef who in fact assented: the French toast was good. Our table neighbors fared less well: one had an allergy and required help to assess what she could eat there; the servers argued "it's a game day~can't change a thing. After waiting 45 minutes for their meal, the folks left. Our server forgot one of our items altogether; the last, Turkey Pastrami Hash was odd but okay.Special Features:
- extremely poor servicePaulVIPDined on 4/25/2014I went here with my girlfriend and another couple. I've heard both great things about the bar as well as really bad things about the sit-down area. The food was OK, but the service was absolutely horrendous. The waitress clearly just wanted us to order drinks, and we had to ask the waitress 3x to order our food. The first two times she left without taking our order (this took about 40 min.). When we got the bill at the end of the night, we asked her if she could split it two ways as there were two couples and one friend. She said b/c we "didn't ask for it to be split in the beginning that I can't split it." Then she screwed up the bill. I'm not going to go on and on about it but you can be sure I will never come here again.
- Rude staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/12/2014Every time I've eaten dinner here we're had extremely rude waitresses and hostesses. I think this place is much better for late night drinks onlySpecial Features:
- Solid placeSpikelawVIPDined on 4/11/2014Old town social is a good place which is appealing to the eye, having some nice, large rounded booths, a long bar with tvs, and an outdoor seating area. I would imagine it could crossover into a but more of a club later I. The evening, however, we were there earlier. The deviled eggs were tasty and have a couple of different flavored on each plate. My salad was my favorite, being very fresh. No food was crazy good but all was solid. The best aspect of our experience was the service. From the hostess, to the bartender, to our server, all were polite, friendly and seemed to really care about us having a good time.
- Awesome brunch with as the groupOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/6/2014We had a great time and the food was awesome. Service was a little slow. Overall great experience for brunch on a Sunday with energetic atmosphere and a DJ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a bar atmosphere,JennBDined on 3/22/2014This is a bar atmosphere, drinks are pricey, food is excellent as far as bat good goes. Burgers were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is really over-hyped.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Food is really over-hyped. It was mediocre pub food at best. All show, no punch.
- Highly disappointed with serviceChicagorestaurantgoerDined on 3/9/2014I dined with 2 other guests on a slow, Sunday night. Our water glasses were empty throughout most of our meal, no one came to check on us once we had our food or offer to bring us more drinks, and some parts of our order came late. Not once did our waitress apologize or offer an explanation as to why we were so neglected. In the end, after waiting 20 minutes for our bill once we asked for it, our waitress miscounted the cash we gave her and overcharged one of our credit cards until we brought that to her attention. All 3 members of our party have worked in the restaurant industry, so initially we tried to be understanding. However, in the end, what happened (and what didn't happen) throughout our dining experience was inexcusable.
- Friday Night OutElcsp19Dined on 3/7/2014Made a reservation but was seated in the bar area (boo). Date night seated in the bar area for two non-drinkers wasn't what I thought I reserved on Open Table. Food was good and atmosphere was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014Great atmosphere at this place but we made reservations for dinner and we were seated at a couch and chair. Made eating even appetizers difficult. Food was okay but we left after appetizers due to the smoke coming from the fireplace. Too much smoke was coming back into the room - it made it a bit uncomfortable for us. Left smelling like we were at a campfire all night. Sending the coats and sweaters to the cleaners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what expected from descriptionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Little more than a hangout for 20 somethings. Not really a tapas bar, not a comfy neighborhood gathering spot, not a foodie destination ... not satisfying on any level. Sterile decor, bland 'edgy' music in the background, many LCD screens built into the walls for what purpose? Server didn't know the menu or bar stock. A big meh.
- Cool placenewbieDined on 2/22/2014Ambiance is cool foods good burgers were undercooked though. Everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/16/2014burgers, fries, charcuterie - all delish! lamb ragu special was small, but also yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitPagedDined on 2/16/2014I have had both dinner and brunch and both were excellent . Their Bloody Mary is a meal in and of its self.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!absbritDined on 2/15/2014Great food, great selection of fun drinks. Loved the beer list which reads more like a beer novel. However, our service was extremely unattentive. We were there at 6:00 on a Saturday night and the restaurant was very empty. Our waitress was cold and never cracked a smile. She didn't introduce herself, or ask if we had been there before, or talk about the menu, or the cocktail list. Our food runner was much more pleasant.Special Features:
- More than a BarHaleyDined on 2/14/2014Great food - I had only had drinks here prior to making a reservation for dinner on Valentine's Day. The noise level was pretty high even in the fireplace area, but it was a great atmosphere nonetheless. The bar was alive afterward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch! Food wasemilyVIPDined on 2/8/2014Excellent brunch! Food was great and the bloody Mary's were awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacekhoschDined on 2/7/2014Old Town Social was great. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was very fun. I will definitely be coming back here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old town socialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014Great ambience and even better food/customer service. I love how they make it seem like a throwback bdubs with all the tv's but keep it lookig retro. A great place for people 20-45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.