Old Stein Inn
1143 East Central Ave.
Edgewater, MD 21037Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Old Stein Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldstein-inn.com/
- Phone: (410) 798-6807
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jason Howard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact for your specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have inside seating up to 64 persons and outdoor Biergarten to 120 persons
- Private Party Contact: Hostess 4107986807
- Entertainment: The Old Stein Oktoberfest style Biergarten has become a Maryland tradition. People come—from near and far—to gather in the Biergarten and enjoy the beautiful Fall weather while drinking the best German beers and tasting the finest German cuisine. Visit the Old Stein during Oktoberfest and you"re sure to have a blast singing along to German drinking songs while sampling traditional German fare. Check our web site www.oldstein-inn.com to see when you might catch Silvia strolling with her accordian or Heidi and the Helmut Echo with their alpenhorn. Prost!
A word from Old Stein Inn
IN 1983, Karl & Ursula Selinger of Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, Germany in the Rhineland Pfalz opened The Old Stein Inn to serve the finest German cuisine. They decided to locate in Anne Arundel County just 8 miles south of Annapolis in Edgewater Maryland. The Old Stein has a traditional Biergarten to give neighbors a place to enjoy al fresco dining with friends and family. The ten German taps pour an unparalleled selection of beer. The Old Stein has been featured on "The Best Of Show" on the Food Network and has won multiple awards for the Munster Cheese & Crab Soup and the Apple Cheesecake. The Old Stein is no run-of-the-mill chain restaurant. Diners come from all over the Mid-Atlantic (or right around the corner) to this family-owned, Maryland gem to enjoy fun, food, friends—and, or course, a cold brew in a gemütlichkeit atmosphere. Eins, Zwei, Drei, G"suffa!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Old Stein Inn - Best Restaurants in Edgewater ›
Old Stein Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (109)good for groups (98)neighborhood gem (88)kid-friendly (58)special occasion (57)fit for foodies (51)romantic (11)great for lunch (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- A wonderful dining experienceJenmcDined on 11/22/2014We went there for dinner with friends, four adults and two children. Our friends had been there before, but we had not. Loved the German draft beers, atmosphere, and extensive menu. Food was excellent, from the appetizers to the dessert. We will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014First of all the food was delicious. We had a crab dip appetizer that was amazing. A wonderful spinach salad and pork schnitzel for dinner. The schnitzel was fried to perfection and piping hot. There were a couple of things that made this dining experience less than perfect. Despite having a 6:00pm reservation, we had to wait for a table until almost 6:30pm. Having to wait a few minutes is understandable, but almost half an hour with a reservation is unacceptable. The dessert menu is very tempting, you will want one of everything. One of the items was a Bavarian pretzel bread pudding that was my first choice but they were out of it. So I chose something else but we took our desserts to go since we were so full from dinner. A nearby table got the same dessert I ordered and we saw that it was accompanied by 3 generous scoops of ice cream. When I opened my to go container at home, I had a few tablespoons of ice cream. The price is the same whether you get the dessert to go or eat in, so the amount of dessert you are served should be the same. We will go back because we loved the food, and I will make a reservation again. But if we have to wait that long for a table a second time, it will be our last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum and then someOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014The Old Stein Inn is worth the trip. The food is excellent - from the fried pickles (oh yes) to all of the sausages! The red cabbage is superb, as was the dessert selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ToddDined on 11/15/2014We had a wonderful meal! The food was delicious. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic German CuisineSeakingDined on 11/9/2014Very traditional German dining. Fantastic German beer selection. Beautiful beer garden out back. Outdoor dining year round. Dogs are permitted in the beer garden. The décor is very "old school" German restaurant. "Blobs Park-ish", but with much nicer ambiance. Menu was traditional German everyday food. Wild game is available most nights. Wild boar was on the menu when we dined. Wait staff was extremely energetic and attentive. Make reservations in advance because this place is no longer a secret and it was packed.Special Features:
- great nightstormtrooper08Dined on 11/7/2014The food was top notch and we got our food quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ein PrositOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I enjoyed the Old Stein Inn's authentic Old-World "Bierstube" atmosphere, and both the choice of entrees and the preparation of the food were very good...not to mention the great selection of German beers! (I had the Oktoberfest Erdlinger Weisse.) On a previous summer-time visit, I especially enjoyed the lively Biergarten ambiance. Keep up the good work...and Prost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemuchlekietDined on 11/7/2014Old Stein Inn is a great place for those who love German food. Filling and heavy, come with an appetite. Very down-to-earth, German cooking by folks of authentic German origin. Frankly, I thought the pre-fire more charming as the rooms were small and had typically German lace curtains. These feels much more like an above-ground biers tube. Prices are not low and the noise level is significant for diners who are looking for a quiet evening. Add the German musical entertainers and be prepared for a somewhat raucous evening. Good selection of German beers, nice variety of appetizers and very good jager (hunter-style) schnitzels. Skip anything American..go for the real thing. The garden in good weather is fun but not particularly amazing...Special Features:
- DurchschnittNamenlosDined on 10/26/2014bier ja gut, food is average, many pork dishes, not many other things. I would add to veal, venison, beef menu. need more desserts. also need some added german vibrant, maybe german speaking section or german music section. general diners can eat in main floor but hey lets see some Germany like a taste of the fatherland.Special Features:
- Great but...SaltydogDined on 10/26/2014I go primarily for the Kassler Rippchen. The first time I had it, several years ago, it was out of this world, juicy, tender and oh so flavorful. But the last two times I have been disappointed, guess I was spoiled. Nowhere near as good as the first. The seven other dinners were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Stein InnEssengutDined on 10/26/2014We enjoyed coming back to Old Stein Inn. The food was great. One suggestion would be to include the skin and fat on the Schweinshaxen as an option for those who like it that way. I don't know if your restaurant gets it without the skin and fat or if you remove it yourselves. If the latter, please consider asking customers if they would like to have it with skin and fat on. Also, you might consider adding Currywurst to the menu though it is admittedly not south German or Austrian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our visit heregladwevisitedDined on 10/26/2014Our waitress was very helpful and able to express our wishes to the kitchen so that our food was exactly what we ordered. The outdoor biergarten was a pleasant surprise. Maybe a little loud, but we were OK with that. I was delighted by the beer and wine offerings, and the food brought back memories of home. I love potato pancakes, and these were not disappointing. I asked for them to be prepared crispy, and the kitchen succeeded without making them greasy. The accompanying homemade applesauce was delightful. My companions had the filet medallions which were accompanied by very tasty brussel sprouts, and one of the "wurst" dishes. Both were very happy with their selections. I will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JmaxDined on 10/25/2014My food was not as good as I've had there before. The sauerbraten had barely any gravy at all, and the red cabbage had been pulverized into a mess.Special Features:
- Good German foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The only item not the way I have served orbeen served in the past was the German Potato Salad. I always serve this hot and it was served cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little bit of Germany in EdgewaterBayDinerDined on 10/24/2014Have dined here many times in the last 10 years and always enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately last Friday 5:30 pm was a let down. The flavor of the red cabbage was off and the usually delicious crab and cheese soup was just warm, still tasty but, better hot. We had the Beer Flights and onion rings to add to the soup. Both were very good and we enjoyed them. Three different entrees were ordered and I felt the portions were a bit skimpy, so we ordered dessert. My cake was dry and nothing to recommend and the apple cheesecake was small. We arrived with this reservation and I had called the day before to double check, as it was a special occasion. It was a special (92) birthday, no mention was made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Niche filler for German foodE27designaDined on 10/19/2014Not many options around for authentic German food, but this more than fits the bill. Great food and beer. Husband loved his birthday dinner here.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere and great foodMusicloverDined on 10/19/2014We almost always sit outside in the courtyard on afternoons or evenings when they have an Oompah band playing. Great atmosphere with lively, fun music, friendly waitstaff. Delicious food and good beers. Last time we brought my Dad and 2-year old. Everyone had a great time. Thanks You!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octoberfest FunPeachesNcremeDined on 10/19/2014Love the food. The Wiener Schnitzel is my favorite. Lots of authentic German beer choices. Love the music. Mike Seratt and the Continentals Polka Band are really cool. Enjoyed it all sitting outdoors in the Biergarten under the heat lamps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceDonRDined on 10/18/2014We have gone here on many occasions. The refurbishment after their building fire is well done. Food this time was great. My wife hails from Wisconsin where there is an abundancee of very good German restaurants -- Old Stesn this past time is as good as the best German food in Wisconsin. Our dinner reservations were honored.Special Features:
- Fun place to go during OctoberfestCatsmeowDined on 10/18/2014Always love to take out-of-town guests there during Octoberfest ! Fun and Good !Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceJLdinerDined on 10/18/2014Although it was a busy night, full house, the staff was efficient and friendly. The food was excellent and the beer and wine selections extensive. Well worth the drive. It's hard to find good German food and this place is a treasure.Special Features:
- outstandingluvJesusDined on 10/18/2014It was my German mother's 88th birthday so we drove 1 1/2 hours to take her to Old Stein. We were not disappointed! Food was great - there was a woman dressed in costume playing an accordian who came over to sing Happy Birthday to my mom in German. I ordered a Black Forest cake from their pastry chef and it was out-of-this-world! We had a great time and more importantly my mom was thrilled. Thanks Old Stein!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AwesomeMustTRY123Dined on 10/15/2014I love this place! Great food, great service, great beer!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsDineout2muchDined on 10/15/2014We returned to Old Stein as a group of 6 on a Wednesday night and enjoyed our time as usual. The food is great and the beer and deserts were excellent!! We always enjoy the time spent there and have always had great service and really enjoy the weekend music.Special Features:
- Great FindBluekutsuDined on 10/11/2014I haven't found many German restaurants in the DMV area, and the Old Stein Inn isn't exactly close to DC. It is an awesome (but pricey) place to visit, however. The food is traditional German fare, and the dining room boasts lots of wooden fixtures, with old German steins and crests creating a nice ambiance. There's also an outdoor dining area, but I've only visited when it was too cold to check that out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Considerable wait for table despite reservation. Food was warm/tepid and overcooked. Service was very slow.
- Worth the driveSawksFanVIPDined on 10/11/2014We are a family of three with a toddler and we all found plenty to eat with lots of variety. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. There was also a musician who played requests and was very good with our toddler. We live in Virginia and felt it was well worth the drive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmospheredtyfrstDined on 10/10/2014My first attempt to eat German food in Maryland. The atmosphere was good and the décor was authentic. They had an excellent beer selection - authentic beers from Germany, not just "German-style". The food was pretty good for being in Maryland. The spatzle and Sauerbraten were excellent. Food was a bit expensive but you were paying for the authenticity. A reservation is recommended on weekendsSpecial Features:
- HeidiDined on 10/10/2014The food and the service are always good. The beer selection is outstanding. We did not sit in the Beer Garden this time, but that is fun when the weather permits.Special Features:
- Great GermanmikegDined on 10/10/2014Great Authentic German, wonderful meals some updated for modern tastes. Also great desserts.Special Features:
- Old Stein Inn - October 8, 2014RickDined on 10/8/2014Six of us dined at the Old Stein Inn. We were seated right away and given menu's with an insert describing the daily specials. We shared a couple appetizers and recommend the cheese Spaetzel. Food and beer was delicious and plentiful. Three diners took home leftovers packed in very sturdy takeout boxes. Overall a very good experience especially for fans of German food and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fall diningumvintnerDined on 10/5/2014My wife and I dine at The Old Stein a few times each year. Each fall, our adult kids hope to go with us. It's hard to beat dining in the beer garden, with good German food and a wide selection of German beers. A good time is had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GotFoodDined on 10/5/2014The Old Stein is always a pleasure to dine at and share with friends.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, atmosphereDateNiteDined on 10/4/2014Old Stein Inn is an excellent choice for German fare. The Inn has a nice but noisey atmosphere; but the quality of the food and excellent service more than make up for the noise. The Inn is an hour from home but it was well worth the drive. The only downside is the location which will limit my visits to the occasional weekend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014The Old Stein fulfilled our expectations of a Germanesque authentic restaurant. The outdoor seating, the foot and ambiance were all the Germany I rememberSpecial Features:
- traditional germanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014If you want traditional german food and atmosphere....you cant do better. Amazing food and perfect atmosphere. Get the best of germany on american soil here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UsedtobeGermanDined on 10/4/2014Very authentic german food. Enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of fun and good food too!CheshireCatDined on 10/3/2014We went to celebrate Oktoberfest with some friends. The biergarten is wonderful, the service good, the braised pork delicious. The beer list held some great German gems. The band was fun and played a variety of German classics. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Good food and fun!MarkWDined on 10/3/20141st visit last week for Oktoberfest and was not disappointed. Food and service was great. Live music was perfect - energetic, but not too loud. Will return soon.Special Features:
- Nice timeTerminator1Dined on 9/27/2014The food is always great, the accordion player got everyone clapping, my four-year-old had a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.