Old Stein Inn
1143 East Central Ave.
Edgewater, MD 21037Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Old Stein Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldstein-inn.com/
- Phone: 4107986807
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jason Howard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact for your specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have inside seating up to 64 persons and outdoor Biergarten to 120 persons
- Private Party Contact: Hostess 4107986807
- Entertainment: The Old Stein Oktoberfest style Biergarten has become a Maryland tradition. People come—from near and far—to gather in the Biergarten and enjoy the beautiful Fall weather while drinking the best German beers and tasting the finest German cuisine. Visit the Old Stein during Oktoberfest and you"re sure to have a blast singing along to German drinking songs while sampling traditional German fare. Check our web site www.oldstein-inn.com to see when you might catch Silvia strolling with her accordian or Heidi and the Helmut Echo with their alpenhorn. Prost!
A word from Old Stein Inn
IN 1983, Karl & Ursula Selinger of Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, Germany in the Rhineland Pfalz opened The Old Stein Inn to serve the finest German cuisine. They decided to locate in Anne Arundel County just 8 miles south of Annapolis in Edgewater Maryland. The Old Stein has a traditional Biergarten to give neighbors a place to enjoy al fresco dining with friends and family. The ten German taps pour an unparalleled selection of beer. The Old Stein has been featured on "The Best Of Show" on the Food Network and has won multiple awards for the Munster Cheese & Crab Soup and the Apple Cheesecake. The Old Stein is no run-of-the-mill chain restaurant. Diners come from all over the Mid-Atlantic (or right around the corner) to this family-owned, Maryland gem to enjoy fun, food, friends—and, or course, a cold brew in a gemütlichkeit atmosphere. Eins, Zwei, Drei, G"suffa!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Old Stein Inn - Best Restaurants in Edgewater ›
Old Stein Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (110)good for groups (78)neighborhood gem (75)special occasion (55)kid-friendly (52)fit for foodies (49)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (8)scenic view (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Nice timeTerminator1Dined on 9/27/2014The food is always great, the accordion player got everyone clapping, my four-year-old had a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/27/2014When you have TV's blaring, and accordions walking around and boisterous singing....then enough is enough. I commiserate with the poor wait staff in trying to understand what people are ordering. The Pork Jaegerschnizel, however, is fantastic. Just wish they had some apple pie-type desserts for a fall season evening.
- I'm definitely going back!Homebody80Dined on 9/27/2014The place was packed, and we were 30 minutes late for our reservation. They said no problem and found us a place to sit. Staff was super nice, but far too busy to provide "pampered" service. That's okay. But the food - oh my gosh, the food is fantastic!! My mom - the German foodie - was thoroughly impressed and raved about it all the way home. I wasn't even looking forward to going, but now I can't wait to go back! (I'm still not sure what a schnitzel is though :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful foodrolandparkneighborVIPDined on 9/26/2014Excellent German food, reminds us of meals in Germany. Sausages, sauerkraut, very good German potato salad were all delicious. And a moderate noise level, so we could carry on a conversation!
- German Soul FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014The Old Stein Inn stays close to their roots with authentic German food and beer.Special Features:
- Octoberfest MustGatewayOpinionDined on 9/21/2014We had a party of seven with reservations at 5:00 on Sun 9/21. I had forgotten to request an outdoor table, however the hostesses were able to get us seated outside. The atmosphere and food was outstanding. the band was energetic and fun. We had a great time singing along with the other customers Great beer selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteFoodiefamilyDined on 9/13/2014We made reservations at the Old Stein Inn to celebrate a birthday with family. The staff was attentive and the restaurant very busy. With every visit, we've always made reservations and been seated very promptly. They have Lambic which is a hit with me. We always order the wurst platte. This is perfect for 2 - with a variety of sliced, nicely cooked sausages, cheeses, and mustard. The servings are always very generous and we always leave with leftovers. This visit was no exception. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal. The only downside: parking. It's a bit tight on the parking lot, so recommend carpooling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wundebar!RaviDined on 9/13/2014My wide and I have been going to OSI for many years and always have recieved great service, good food a fun time. They also have a great German beer and wine menu. The beer garden is a fun place to have a large group and/or kids to enjoy the live music.Special Features:
- Great food!PartyoftwoVIPDined on 9/10/2014Food was excellent. I am not normally a fan of German food, but this place proved me wrong. Everything was great- appetizer, meal, and the waffle sundae was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!momenDined on 9/7/2014We had such a wonderful time. My 86 year old mother was with us - she uses a wheeled walker and we didn't have to worry about access at all! We sat at a wonderful table beside the band - just inside the side gate. The band was great - we clapped and sang along. The food and drink were excellent. Our waitress as pleasant - didn't rush us - -and really went above and beyond for us. Good parking - handicap access - good food - great drink - -wonderful entertainment. We will visit again soon!Special Features:
- Nice German Dinner!dnk2VIPDined on 9/6/2014Always a good place to dine...had the poutine fries which were excellent...schnitzel was great, good sized portion made for leftovers...salmon was good...maybe a hint more seasoning here...good beer selection...overall a great nice out! :)Special Features:
- luvthedundelDined on 9/6/2014always a good time, good food, good beer and wine, at the OSI , ..unfortunately, rain was predicted, and came on STRONG, but we were "under cover" so didnt get soaked, despite being in the beer garden.Special Features:
- Did no disappointgb0629Dined on 8/31/2014Raised on German food and having spent quite a bit of time in Germany and Switzerland I knew what i was looking for and found it. Great casual dining and our server (Amy) could not have been more friendly and helpful. Can't wait to see what the change in season brings to their menu and beer selection. Old Stein came highly recommended and in turn I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- It was all good until...KPReatsVIPDined on 8/31/2014...the restaurant got busy. We had a mid-afternoon reservation and when we got there, we were one of the only parties there. However, as the evening went on and more people showed up, service got increasingly worse to the point of eventually being non-existent. Too many people and not nearly enough wait staff to take care of them. However, we had nine people in our group and it sure seemed like everyone enjoyed their selections. Schnitzels, wursts and schweinhaxe were all well received as well as the various appetizers we ordered. We also managed to consume many mugs of beer. I'm glad we got there early and were able to get our food orders in before it got busy. By the time we got to order dessert, we had to wait more than 30 minutes.Special Features:
- loupgarouDined on 8/30/2014Great fun, terrific, quite authentic German fare, enjoyable live music, excellent beer choices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014One of the very few authentic German restaurants remaining in Maryland. Great menu, it was difficult to decide what to order and we loved everything we had. There is much more on the actual menu than is displayed on the website. Very good selection of beers and wines. Outdoor biergarten was very enjoyable. We look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mikes1stchoiceDined on 8/29/2014I have been to Old Stein Inn many times and its always great. My wife and I take friends there often and always have the same response...they love it and want to take their famlies or firends back. I love that you now have reservations and honestly that you will substitue sides versus fixed menu which you used to be very strict on making substitution. My wife loved that new change. Again, great dining experience. Keep up the great work. Service was excellent. Thanks and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic to the ToldnavysteinDined on 8/28/2014Delicious authentic German fare. We've been twice. Each time exactly as we had hoped. We are elated to have find a German restaurant a reasonable drive from our home. Service was top notch. The beer selections are good. We love the samplers. It German food the way you would expect. The last time we went a woman from Austria played a Styrish accordian. She was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sehr Gut!wmschmitzDined on 8/28/2014I have been to this restaurant a dozen times and always look forward to it. I am German and this is as authentic as it gets. Weekends add a band and Sylvia, definitely adds to the experience. Food is excellent, great Biers, and warm staff. Feels like a visit to family, excellent selection of food too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- German beer garden delightsUrbangirlVIPDined on 8/24/2014Went for lunch Sunday and sat outside which I highly recommend. Excellent selection of German beer on tap. The food isn't the most authentic, but I appreciate the chefs touch to make the food unique. The pretzel was perfect - warm and not too much salt. Enjoyed the German chocolate brownie. Worth the drive from Gaithersburg and we'll return. Wish they served lunch on Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef reviewSammycDined on 8/23/2014The Old Stein has a gem in Chef Ian Douglas. Chef Douglas take on german food is both traditional and inventive. His preparation of simple fare such as schnitzel is excellent and his chef specials are well planned and well prepared. Without his leadership, this was just another restaurant that you would go to once a year. With his guidance, he will make regular customers a mainstay in the business. Well done chef!Special Features:
- Always fun!Sue8888Dined on 8/16/2014Sylvia was playing in the beer garden while beer, great food and lively conversations was being enjoyed. Nothing better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Germany in AnnapolisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014If you like the beer gardens of small town Germany, this is your place, great potato salad, sausages, pretty good desserts and true German Beer, about 10 or 12 to choose from.Special Features:
- Beer Garden Dining WonderfulGeoroDined on 8/15/2014It was a low-humidity day so we requested an outdoor table in our reservation notes. Not disappointed. There is always a great selection of German beers and food. My wife had pork kabobs and I had a wild boar goulash special and--of course--German beer. The outdoor atmosphere, food and spirits combined for great experience.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the Biergarten!SchnauzerVIPDined on 8/15/2014The outdoor dining was fantastic! Food was just average. Everything but the wurst seemed to lack authenticity. The "Free Stein" special on Fridays in August was disappointing -- my fault for not reading the fine print (only after 9:30PM in the bar).Special Features:
- very surprisedj2themillsDined on 8/10/2014I took my boyfriend for hos birthday. I am very skeptical of trying new foods, but the cheese and crab soup was great! The light beer sampler was great as well. Beautiful outdoor area anf very nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best German foodInthemoodDined on 8/10/2014Have been there at least half a dozen times. My wife's favorite restaurant despite the 45 minute drive. Great for birthdays and this year we even went there for Valentine's Day. Best German food we have had since our previous favorite in California closed a number of years ago. Would recommend Old Stein Inn to anyone wanting authentic and deliciious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeFirstVisitDined on 8/10/2014This was our first visit, the food was mediocre, our waitress was GREAT. We have been wanting to try this place for a long time but probably won't return because the food was just ok.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The Old Stein Inn is the ONLY authentic German restaurant and beer garden in the Washington/Baltimore corridor area. It's an hour's drive for us but always worth the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German FoodYorkmanDined on 8/6/2014If you're like us and tired of the usual American, Tex-Mex, or Oriental style restaurants, them the Old Stein Inn is the place for you. Great traditional old world German food that really is great with all the side dishes that go along with it. And wonderful service as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birdlandfanDined on 8/3/2014The appetizers are creative and excellent. The main course was, as always, superb. The selection of German beer is great. And the entertainment, Mike and the Continentals, was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah, GermanyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014Great evening, best German food in the area complete with wandering accordion player. Outstanding beer selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim's Birthday!LillyDined on 8/1/2014The raspberry beer was a dream come true. Not since I was in Germany have I tasted such a delightful brew!It was Jim's birthday but he prefers no fanfare!The spaetzle was better than a birthday present!The smoked trout,pretzel with dips,smoked grilled pork chop,German potato salad and sauerkraut were all fabulous!We had three beers but left room for coffee, tea and a piece of chocolate layer cake with hazelnut filling.The service was excellent. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvschnitzelDined on 7/26/2014We dined at The Old Stein with another couple on a Saturday evening.Took advantage of the beautiful evening and enjoyed their lovely patio dining. Food was really quite good,many choices,nice selection of wines,a multitude of beers to choose from,had a great beer flight.Would highly recommend for an intimate dining experience,or for a larger gathering.Either way,it is a really nice place that everyone should try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewNRC1927Dined on 7/26/2014If one likes German food of a particular style, then this place will be good. For others, it may not be a good choice. Beer selection is excellent, and the appetizers are very good. Main courses vary, again a matter of taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nobunagaDined on 7/23/2014Good ambience, friendly service, great menu selections, and even better beer - a wide selection of bottled and draft German beers.Special Features:
- Great German FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Went here with another couple who loves German food. I am not that familiar with German cuisine, but my friends are and they raved about it. I thought it was interesting and tasted very good. The atmosphere had a German tilt and this was on a Wednesday evening. I highly recommend this place. Whether you like German food or have not tried it you should give The Old Stein Inn a try.Special Features:
- Celebrating Our 30th AnniversaryDanNanDined on 7/23/2014My husband was in the Military for 30+ years. We spent the first two years of our marriage near Frankfort, Germany. His mother grew up in Germany. The food is as close as to authentic german food as we've been able to find here in the good 'ole USA. Service was awesome too. She had a pleasant smile and was very friendly and courteous. We have retired in Florida, but come back to the area to visit family. We've recommend this to many of our friends and family and will continue to dine here when ever we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- entertainingLammyDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed the German music performed by Sylvia and Matthew. That was a real treat. Food was excellent. We also had the light and dark beer samples which were also excellent. We were there from out of town from richmond Virginia and upstate new York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ethnic food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014This place has good food prepared differently - German. If your palate is savoring something different this is a great place to go. Every dish that our party ordered was thoroughly enjoyed, and very tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.