Old Stein Inn
1143 East Central Ave.
Edgewater, MD 21037Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Old Stein Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldstein-inn.com/
- Phone: 4107986807
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jason Howard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact for your specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have inside seating up to 64 persons and outdoor Biergarten to 120 persons
- Private Party Contact: Hostess 4107986807
- Entertainment: The Old Stein Oktoberfest style Biergarten has become a Maryland tradition. People come—from near and far—to gather in the Biergarten and enjoy the beautiful Fall weather while drinking the best German beers and tasting the finest German cuisine. Visit the Old Stein during Oktoberfest and you"re sure to have a blast singing along to German drinking songs while sampling traditional German fare. Check our web site www.oldstein-inn.com to see when you might catch Silvia strolling with her accordian or Heidi and the Helmut Echo with their alpenhorn. Prost!
A word from Old Stein Inn
IN 1983, Karl & Ursula Selinger of Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, Germany in the Rhineland Pfalz opened The Old Stein Inn to serve the finest German cuisine. They decided to locate in Anne Arundel County just 8 miles south of Annapolis in Edgewater Maryland. The Old Stein has a traditional Biergarten to give neighbors a place to enjoy al fresco dining with friends and family. The ten German taps pour an unparalleled selection of beer. The Old Stein has been featured on "The Best Of Show" on the Food Network and has won multiple awards for the Munster Cheese & Crab Soup and the Apple Cheesecake. The Old Stein is no run-of-the-mill chain restaurant. Diners come from all over the Mid-Atlantic (or right around the corner) to this family-owned, Maryland gem to enjoy fun, food, friends—and, or course, a cold brew in a gemütlichkeit atmosphere. Eins, Zwei, Drei, G"suffa!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Old Stein Inn - Best Restaurants in Edgewater ›
Old Stein Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (107)neighborhood gem (73)good for groups (71)special occasion (55)kid-friendly (54)fit for foodies (44)great for brunch (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (9)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Always fun!Sue8888Dined on 8/16/2014Sylvia was playing in the beer garden while beer, great food and lively conversations was being enjoyed. Nothing better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Germany in AnnapolisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014If you like the beer gardens of small town Germany, this is your place, great potato salad, sausages, pretty good desserts and true German Beer, about 10 or 12 to choose from.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the Biergarten!SchnauzerVIPDined on 8/15/2014The outdoor dining was fantastic! Food was just average. Everything but the wurst seemed to lack authenticity. The "Free Stein" special on Fridays in August was disappointing -- my fault for not reading the fine print (only after 9:30PM in the bar).Special Features:
- very surprisedj2themillsDined on 8/10/2014I took my boyfriend for hos birthday. I am very skeptical of trying new foods, but the cheese and crab soup was great! The light beer sampler was great as well. Beautiful outdoor area anf very nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best German foodInthemoodDined on 8/10/2014Have been there at least half a dozen times. My wife's favorite restaurant despite the 45 minute drive. Great for birthdays and this year we even went there for Valentine's Day. Best German food we have had since our previous favorite in California closed a number of years ago. Would recommend Old Stein Inn to anyone wanting authentic and deliciious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeFirstVisitDined on 8/10/2014This was our first visit, the food was mediocre, our waitress was GREAT. We have been wanting to try this place for a long time but probably won't return because the food was just ok.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The Old Stein Inn is the ONLY authentic German restaurant and beer garden in the Washington/Baltimore corridor area. It's an hour's drive for us but always worth the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German FoodYorkmanDined on 8/6/2014If you're like us and tired of the usual American, Tex-Mex, or Oriental style restaurants, them the Old Stein Inn is the place for you. Great traditional old world German food that really is great with all the side dishes that go along with it. And wonderful service as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birdlandfanDined on 8/3/2014The appetizers are creative and excellent. The main course was, as always, superb. The selection of German beer is great. And the entertainment, Mike and the Continentals, was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah, GermanyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014Great evening, best German food in the area complete with wandering accordion player. Outstanding beer selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim's Birthday!LillyDined on 8/1/2014The raspberry beer was a dream come true. Not since I was in Germany have I tasted such a delightful brew!It was Jim's birthday but he prefers no fanfare!The spaetzle was better than a birthday present!The smoked trout,pretzel with dips,smoked grilled pork chop,German potato salad and sauerkraut were all fabulous!We had three beers but left room for coffee, tea and a piece of chocolate layer cake with hazelnut filling.The service was excellent. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvschnitzelDined on 7/26/2014We dined at The Old Stein with another couple on a Saturday evening.Took advantage of the beautiful evening and enjoyed their lovely patio dining. Food was really quite good,many choices,nice selection of wines,a multitude of beers to choose from,had a great beer flight.Would highly recommend for an intimate dining experience,or for a larger gathering.Either way,it is a really nice place that everyone should try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewNRC1927Dined on 7/26/2014If one likes German food of a particular style, then this place will be good. For others, it may not be a good choice. Beer selection is excellent, and the appetizers are very good. Main courses vary, again a matter of taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nobunagaDined on 7/23/2014Good ambience, friendly service, great menu selections, and even better beer - a wide selection of bottled and draft German beers.Special Features:
- Great German FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Went here with another couple who loves German food. I am not that familiar with German cuisine, but my friends are and they raved about it. I thought it was interesting and tasted very good. The atmosphere had a German tilt and this was on a Wednesday evening. I highly recommend this place. Whether you like German food or have not tried it you should give The Old Stein Inn a try.Special Features:
- Celebrating Our 30th AnniversaryDanNanDined on 7/23/2014My husband was in the Military for 30+ years. We spent the first two years of our marriage near Frankfort, Germany. His mother grew up in Germany. The food is as close as to authentic german food as we've been able to find here in the good 'ole USA. Service was awesome too. She had a pleasant smile and was very friendly and courteous. We have retired in Florida, but come back to the area to visit family. We've recommend this to many of our friends and family and will continue to dine here when ever we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- entertainingLammyDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed the German music performed by Sylvia and Matthew. That was a real treat. Food was excellent. We also had the light and dark beer samples which were also excellent. We were there from out of town from richmond Virginia and upstate new York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ethnic food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014This place has good food prepared differently - German. If your palate is savoring something different this is a great place to go. Every dish that our party ordered was thoroughly enjoyed, and very tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightSdboyerDined on 7/19/2014Love the authentic Bavarian German food! Have gone many times & never disappointed.Special Features:
- Food slipping againOldGermansDined on 7/18/2014For the second time in as many visits the Spaetzle were cold. This time they were actually very cold. Not certain why that is. Lat time, they offered to bring fresh (hot) spaetzle out. This time I just did not eat it. Now the Schnitzel was excellent and hot as always. I realize they reheat Spaetzle they prep in the morning. Maybe they need to learn to fry it a little later in the prep cycle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Been to OS many times over the years. After the fire several years ago, they did a great job remodeling but we always enjoy eating in the biergarten the best (especially when there is live music). Outside is kid/dog friendly and during Octoberfest, there is a very Munich feel here in Edgewater. Been to Munich for Octoberfest and this area has a lot of German descendants (and German born) who really enjoy a "real" German atmosphere/food/beer, etc........Bavarian on Mother's side, Swiss German on Dad's, grew up in PA Dutch area........really feel at "home!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal.dineoutDined on 7/16/2014We were looking for something different for our wedding anniversary. The food was great. The service was awesome. Would recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biergarten MagicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Great food, great bier, shaded al fresco dining on a gorgeous summer evening, and prompt service from very nice people. The caraway-crusted tuna steak was a happy find that played superbly with the authentic German flavors of the accompanying sides. If you can get there, you'll like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- German DeliciousnessFoodieJunkieDined on 6/28/2014The seating is awesome there is lots of room, the day we actually went to Old Stein they had an lady playing the accordion which was fun. Our food came out fast and was good - the only "complaint" was we purchased the appetizer platter with tons of meats, spread but there was only literally 4 small pieces of bread to put the meat, cheese, and sauces on (so that made it somewhat wasteful because to eat liverwurst I must have bread LOL). For beverages their beer/wine/liquor/specialty drinks does not disappoint - it has the largest list of German Beers I have seen, and their German Root Beer is an awesome drink. Our waitress was friendly, and in fact the next day I saw her in a grocery store and she came and started chatting with me.Special Features:
- Great food!GastroFunDined on 6/25/2014Once you walk in, you are greeted with a warm welcome. The food is fabulous. You will not walk away from the table hungry!! Great wine list and the appetizers are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingkh1234Dined on 6/21/2014My boyfriend and I love German food and have been going around trying different restaurants in the DMV area. He kept mentioning this place as being one of his favorites and we finally made it out there. It was amazing! The beer was awesome, the schnitzel was great, and the spatzle was amazing! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German FoodNaptownerDined on 6/21/2014Great German food with excellent service....in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- Gut Essen.misterscnDined on 6/21/2014Nice place to get a German style meal close with a Spaten Helles on draft close to Annapolis. Menu has basic Schnitzels, Wursts, and Spaetzle plus it is the only place close by where you can get a Schweinshaxe. They also have seasonal specialties.Special Features:
- The real dealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014Authentic German cuisine and beer with some other non-German selections, e.g., watermelon salad with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar (yum!). Great selection of German beer on draft and lots of bottles. Service was friendly and responsive. A roaming accordion player helped add to the ambience. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful outdoor diningrunnerGirlDined on 6/15/2014We went for Father's Day and the outdoor dining with accordion player made out night. Food was fabulous, server made great food and drink recommendations, but overall service was good, not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Only issued I encountered they said they had no outside seating even though I had a reservation.(1:00) They initially told me that all the tables were reserved for 1:30. There were 9 open tables I pressed them and they put us outside. By the time we left there were 8 open tables. .???? The food here is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bad dayOldGermansDined on 6/14/2014While most everyone else's food was hot, mine was cold. As if it was done and then the others were cook afterward. And getting the food took over 45 minutes - and it was not filled to the brim with customers. This is the first time I've had any issues so I'll mark it up as a bad day....too bad it was for Father's Day......Special Features:
- Great German ExperiencelangwjDined on 6/14/2014Great food, service and ambiance. Complete with German music on the patio. Highly recommended for those looking for authentic German food and a fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a pig roast????jgdwDined on 6/8/2014Our group of 6 was all hyped up for the once a month pig roast at the OSI. However, it was such a disappointment.....there was NO visible pig roasting EVER during the Sunday afternoon. There was no SCENT of a pig roasting, either.....The menu for the pig roast had ONLY 2 choices: a pulled pork sandwich and a pulled pork dinner. We had been expecting to see a pig roasting on a spit, with a carver serving portions of the pig to whomever wanted special parts/cuts. No such thing!!! THIS WAS NOT A PIG ROAST by any stretch of the imagination! So terribly disappointing - will not go there again. In all fairness to the OSI, the potato pancakes appetizer was very good, and the applesauce tasted homemade. The red cabbage was also decent.Special Features:
- Disappointed experience!PhredDined on 6/7/2014Casual dining with napkins and silverware in the glass jar on the table with a $20-$28 entree. We were seated for 12 minutes without any service until we asked the waitress where is our waitress.
- Excellent German FoodltinmdDined on 6/7/2014We came to Old Stein Inn to celebrate a friend's birthday and do something different. Two of us love German food, so we picked Old Stein Inn (we hadn't been there in quite a while since it's a bit of a drive for us). The food was excellent and the service was very fast. We each had something different from the menu (one had schnitzel, one had schweinhaxe and I had wursts) and all three of us were very happy with our food. We did not order desserts because we just couldn't eat another bite.Special Features:
- Authentic german foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014Pretty good authentic german food! It is a bit pricey but overall a great meal and enjoyed by the family for my sons gradiation. Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding fun!!!Docker515Dined on 5/31/2014We visited for the second time and again had an amazing time. The boys, including a teenager, love the music, food and fun atmosphere. The band is wonderful, the service friendly and the food is delicious. A great place all around!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN TIME IN THE BIERGARTEN!AnnieDined on 5/31/2014Excellent service, fun atmosphere, family friendly, and great entertainment! It was a perfect evening in the biergarten. Took some friends for their first time (they had lived in Germany) and they loved it! And of course, the food and beer were wonderful as well!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Germany in MarylandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014If you're hungry for wonderful Germany comfort food and the closest setting to an outdoor Germany Bier Garten this is the place! Great setting, superb Germany brews and wonderful ambiance.Special Features: