Old Skool Cafe
1429 Mendell Street
San Francisco, CA 94124Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Old Skool Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldskoolcafe.org/
- Phone: 4158228531x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Th-Sa 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Soul food, International
- Executive Chef: Kevin Tucker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Old Skool Cafe
Old Skool Café (OSC) is a violence prevention program, providing jobs and training to at-risk, urban youth, ages 16-22, at our 1940"s styled supper club.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Skool Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
- Amazing.SeraphinaDined on 11/2/2013So, My partner and I came here to celebrate our 3 year anniversary, we're not from the city so we had just yelped "romantic restaurants. I had liked the idea that we were going to a restaurant that provided youth with jobs since I work with at risk youth in our hometown. Everything was amazing, atmosphere, service and food. I am definitely going to recommend this place to everyone!!!Special Features:
- Great place, great causeBethDined on 10/29/2013I discovered this gem on Yelp when I found out my favorite fancy restaurant downtown closed and needed somewhere to take friends for a special thank you. The restaurant had good rating, and I LOVED the fact that it was about giving at-risk youth a second chance at success :) Heck, I was sold just on that and was prepared to forgive some level of amateurishness, but the food was AMAZING, and the talent performing was excellent too. If I lived in SF, I'd spend more time there, but I have been telling anyone who would listen that they MUST GO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for the SoulMarylynnDined on 10/19/2013I absolutely "sunk into" a delicious African Peanut Stew. I'm still thinking about it. Luckily I was able to start with a wonderful kale and brussel sprouts salad which hopefully neutralized all that delicious food for the soul. This place is a little hard to find, but my husband and I truly enjoyed the nightclub like atmosphere, the live music, the very good food, and the mission of this place to give young adults a second chance in life and an introduction to the restaurant business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2013Food was excellent, loved their sweet potato fries. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks, guys!JennyDined on 10/11/2013It would be enough that this neighborhood gem is run and staffed by at-risk youth...a great way to teach so many life skills and trades. But instead, there was great music and simply EXCELLENT food! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Birthday CelebrationgoodeatsDined on 9/28/2013the entertainment was a special treat, singer amazing! Atmosphere felt like a supper club and it was the perfect place to celebrate a birthday with friends, complete with the entire restaurant singing happy birthday led by the great entertainment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great, The AmbiencescottDined on 9/26/2013The food was great, The Ambience was very nice. It is for a good cause also.Special Features:
- Surprise gem in the BayviewBBSFVIPDined on 9/19/2013We enjoyed a delightful surprise at the Old Skool Café. Walking into the red "supper club" began the surprise. We were greeted promptly with a youthful flare. Although the menu is not extensive, the basics are covered with some interesting variations on the southern/creole theme. Service was friendly, but not always attentive, even though there were limited patrons on a early Thursday evening. Both of our salads and both entrees were nicely prepared and attractively presented, and the prices were reasonable. We are already talking about a return visit, and have recommended it to friends.Special Features:
- Eating at Old Skool is solidaDined on 9/6/2013Eating at Old Skool is so much more than a meal. This will nourish your soul as well.Special Features:
- Social justice meets great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2013We came the first time to support a great cause, but we came back for the food! Both our recent visits to Old Skool were highlighted by live music, friendly service, and fantastic food. The servers are friendly and eager to help, just keep in mind that these are kids who are training for job skills. Occasionally there might be a stumble, but they are eager to please and correct any service missteps. I highly recommend the peanut butter stew, brussel sprout and kale salad, and shrimp and grits. Next on my list to try is the fried chicken- another table ordered it and it looked and smelled amazing! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Dinner with a causeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2013Giving purpose to eating out. The staff is excellent and the food is flavorful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impromptu date night.UnhappyBirthdayDined on 8/17/2013Hubby and I were in the mood to try something different for an impromptu off the cuff date night. Searched for local soul food and found this little place. Loved the live music and jazzy feel. The Abu's peanut butter soup was delicious and going back to try the calamari that ran out on us. Cool neighborhood restaurant with a great cause cause.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prices are a little high forFoodieBearVIPDined on 8/17/2013Prices are a little high for what you get, and the service has a few understandably rough edges, but given the restaurant's purpose, I'll definitely go back & support their cause.Special Features:
- Bayview OasisSFSamVIPDined on 8/10/2013What a great place to eat dinner and finally a place with purpose!! The servers were very attentive and the food was very good. I gotta hand it to these kids...they keep the customers happy. As far as I'm concerned, this restaurant is just as good as any 5-star restaurant because they put their heart into their work. Hearing the stories of the people who work this is inspiration and the added spice to the food they serve on the table. Good job to all and I intend to come back for more!!!Special Features:
- Food with a purposeTexasDinerDined on 8/10/2013My family was visiting San Francisco for the first time. I found Old Skool thru searching for family restaraunts. I liked the idea behind the restaraunt of helping at risk kids get a focus on their lives. The food was really good except to my very finicky 10 year old. The shrimp and grits were delicious. The only thing we didn't realize was that each drink refill (including tea) was charged ($3). Being from Texas we drink a lot of sweet tea during dinner so that really added up! But overall a very good experienceSpecial Features:
- Jazz Supper Club is a great findluv2eatoutDined on 8/8/2013Love the character, food, singing, special poetry and overall experience. Just the perfect place when you want something different than every other restaurant. Great ambiance and the food is awesome. Try the peanut butter stew, Jordan's fried chicken, and definitely the lavender cheesecake. Be a little patient, everything is being run by at-risk, at-potential youth who are learning as they turn their lives around. But you won't find more enthusiastic servers and entertainers anywhere. Make sure you ask if Tammy will be singing or doing some of her amazing poetry. Great for families and you can park across the street at the Opera house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2013The ambience rating was very low because the music level was too loud to have a comfortable conversation .the girls singing had a really good voice and music worth listening to, but because of the size of Olk Skool her singing dominated the atmosphere. It was our first time there and if there was a night there is not live music, or perhaps it is more as background music the ambience rating would go to very good. We would return but make sure the music wasn't so loud. That is our only complaint, otherwise a fantastic experience all around. Well worth going to and not only eating the food but hearing the stories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious, theplumpuddingVIPDined on 7/20/2013The food was delicious, the service was friendly at this youth run cafe! We enjoyed the piano music and plan to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third on Third BestVeggieDinerDined on 7/18/2013We ate here the night ABC News with Diane Sawyers did a segment on this restaurant, which is unique in being run by a former probation officer to provide training and employment for young people on probation who need a second chance. The servers were very polite and attentive, and the food included some dishes for vegetarians. I know the Bayview- Hunter's Point neighborhood is trying to attract people to their Third on Third events, which are the third Thursday of every month on Third Street. Old Skool Cafe is the best draw. The four in my party thought the noise outside needed to be lowered a few decibels to attract people to the events outdoors. But inside there was no problem--really good live music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerMelissaDined on 7/13/2013I had a party of nine and the service was amazing. Very patient and helpful!!! The food was also amazing. My only critique is that the waitress told us the portions are very small and advised us to order a few and share. However, the portions were pretty large and we ended up with excess and spent much more money than necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is a goodittybittyDined on 7/12/2013This restaurant is a good place for at-risk youth in the community. I appreciate what they do at the cafe. The servers are relatable and I was willing to give tips because it's for a good cause. Food was great, even though you get small portions. It's worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and amazing servicershah17Dined on 7/5/2013The food here is extraordinary. I'm vegetarian and while the veggie options aren't extensive each dish we ordered was phenomenal. The service was also great; all the servers were so cordial and attentive to our needs. Finally, even if the food and service were awful (which they were definitely not) the mission of Old Skool makes it worth the trip. This restaurant gives these youth the opportunity they need and deserve to turn their life around and make something for themselves so it was awesome to be supporting the cause while having such an unforgettable experience. I've been to Old Skool 4 times in the past 4 months and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for a good causeFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/5/2013It is really a pleasant experience to be able to have tasty food and know that you are helping to change the lives of some young people who need your help at the same time. This restaurant is run by young people who might otherwise be heading in the wrong direction, but instead are learning marketable skills and moving forward with their lives. In addition, the food is tasty and there are some unique dishes, like the African peanut stew with chicken that is very tasty and some traditional favorites like fried chicken and grilled cheese with soup. The BayView is a neighborhood that usually gets bad reviews, but this restaurant is a reason to go there and to celebrate. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place...edinaDined on 7/5/2013...and I love its mission. Everything is superb. It is just vibrant, in every way.Special Features:
- Great restaurant, Great CausejaciDined on 7/5/2013I highly recommend Old Skool! It was fabulous, the kids were amazing and the food was scrumptious.Special Features:
- Great giving back establishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/22/2013Love the giving back to youth ..helping people get a good foundation The food is great. Will be back ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2013Food was good, but small portions. Restaurant was hot. Service was slow.
- Everyone Needs to Go HerenanwebwareDined on 6/14/2013I brought my sister who was visiting from Florida and she can't stop talking about her evening at Old Skool. The Sweet Potato Fries are a MUST- the best I've had anywhere. We were lucky to be a part of a high school graduation celebration where the chefs in the kitchen made two cakes to honor the graduates and they got up to the mike and spoke. I will keep coming back to this place because it's such a fun evening and I just like being around these remarkable people. If you haven't been yet, don't miss it!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond in the rough.FaithDined on 6/13/2013Amazing food, great menu. But most of all the focus of the restaurant. Thank you for your vision.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/8/2013Great food, great service, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The only criticism is that they need to expand their wine list to include some bottles below $50. which would bring them more in line with the food prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Enjoy Great FoodBartDined on 6/8/2013Teresa who operates this restaraunt has good vision and a great team. They are attentive., the food is great (bread is cool). They will surprise you with their attention and their genuine smiles. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Internat'l Soul Comfort Foodluv2eatoutDined on 6/7/2013Don't shy away from this restaurant because of its location in Hunter's Point. There is easy free parking right across the street at the Opera House. This is a place where at-risk youth get to learn a trade working in the restaurant industry and they are more than eager to please. The food is phenomenal! I love to go to a place where you get dishes you can't get anywhere else quite this way. Our family gets there at least once a month and we travel from Walnut Creek. Our favorite dishes are Peanut Butter Stew, Grilled Cheese sandwich (to die for), lavender cheesecake and of course Jordan's famous fried chicken. The youth also sing, perform slam poetry and entertain with stories. CNN and Fox recently filmed news stories about them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingjedileoDined on 5/24/2013The only words for this place. Be forewarned, the neighborhood it is in is a little rough, but we encountered no troubles taking the Caltrain & then the Muni there. The food is top notch, some of the best I ever had, but it's not overproduced. The atmosphere is romantic & alive, with live music & employee testimonials, dim lighting, yet you can see all around. The service was good, but our server was very nervous, just trying to get her job right. Check out the website for this place to really understand what they are all about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, affordable, greatGinaDined on 5/24/2013Great food, affordable, great live music (I mean really wonderful vocalists and guitarist) all provided by community youth. I hear brunch is good, too. A little hard to find exact location, but easy parking once you find it.Special Features:
- Supporting a great causeNot2goodDined on 5/16/2013Old Skool Cafe, nominated as a CNN Hero and featured on the CNN website, is a real gem. Helping at risk youth while serving delicious food and good entertainment - what a wonderful idea. Affordable, adorable and easily accessible by Muni Metro. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Outstanding. WinespearmintDined on 5/4/2013Food Was Outstanding. Wine was Great. Singing Duo was Great .The Owner greeted everyone at every table. Would go back at anytime.Special Features:
- A restaurant with characterlidaDined on 5/3/2013Food is quite good. Don't expect normal great SF service cause the kids are learning. But, considering their mission to help kids who have been in trouble you can put up with a little disorganization from these dear ones. This is a place with heart. No question about it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Skool Cafe has great comfortOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2013Old Skool Cafe has great comfort food (The mac and cheese is delish as well as the fried chicken!) but even better atmosphere. It's our 2nd time going and we will be back!Special Features:
- Run by a non-profit that helpsedinaDined on 4/26/2013Run by a non-profit that helps kids at risk, this restaurant is very special in every way from food to service to its mission, which is so needed. Love this place.Special Features:
- Really great experience. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Really great experience. Food was very good, especially the Peanut Butter Stew. It had many layers of complex flavor that were a joy to experience. Most of the service was excellent with one exception. The hostesses were dolls and the manager a sweetheart. The ambiance was unexpectedly chic. Go! You won't be sorry.Special Features: