Old Port Sea Grill
93 Commercial St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Old Port Sea Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldportseagrill.com/
- Phone: 2078796100
- Hours of Operation:
Daily beginning at 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: David Connolly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off premise catering for lunch and dinner parties is available. Please call us at 207.879.6100 to discuss how we may serve you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our open, modern space provides many private dining options whether it be a corporate or social/family affair. Our lounge area can accommodate up to 60 guests for a cocktail party, while our dining room can accommodate up to 75 guests for a seated lunch or dinner. Reserving the entire restaurant will provide space for a cocktail party of approximately 150.
- Private Party Contact: Nathan Mohney 2078796100
A word from Old Port Sea Grill
The Old Port Sea Grill, located in the heart of the Old Port, serves the freshest seafood prepared simply so that you can taste the flavor and quality of the product. We offer the largest selection of oysters on the half shell in town, with varieties from across New England and Canada, providing you with a unique experience here in Portland. Of course, we always offer a traditional steamed Maine lobster and one of the best lobster rolls in Portland. Take in the city streets from our picture windows while relaxing with friends, entertaining business associates or watching our flat screen TVs. We have sixty four seats in our dining room and over fifty in our bar and lounge area, featuring our custom-built marble and concrete bar, allowing plenty of room for larger parties and gatherings in either area. We always feaure local micro brews on tap and have a specialty cocktail menu that changes seasonally. Be sure to check out our 500 gallon aquarium, one of the largest in the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Port Sea Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)good for groups (13)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A bit disappointingKMo1VIPDined on 8/13/2014We were looking for a quick bite so we opted for the bar. Drinks came quickly; I asked a few questions & we ordered. Then we waited, & waited, & waited. Couple that came in after us got their food, ate & left before our food came - we did not order anything complicated - mussels & caesar salad. Bartender came by once to say it would be out shortly. As we were about to leave - food arrived. Mussels were great - bread delicious, caesar with shrimp was fine but by this point wait soured our visit. Reviews claim 1 of the best lobster rolls but at $21 what I saw was not too impressive. The bartender comp'd our drinks which was lovely but overall we likely would not go back when there are so many other restaurants in this city.Special Features:
- Okay experiencePOKEDined on 8/12/2014The oysters ( supposedly a specialty of the restaurant) were small and pretty uninteresting--no great salty taste, all about the same even though we ordered four different ones. The swordfish was very tasty--though a thin flat piece. The ambience--bare wooden tables--was fine but not cheery or welcoming.service was attentive and fine.
- Great food, noisy barSusieQDined on 8/7/2014Awesome service and the best lobster bisque and lobster roll ever. A bit pricey and very noisy from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Averagelumpy62Dined on 8/6/2014Serviceable, but nothing memorable -- worked fine on an evening where many of the name spots were booked
- WonderfulLuv2eatoutDined on 8/1/2014If you are looking for a seafood restaurant, this is a place to go to. Selection was good, our server was extremely helpful and took the time to explain the menu choices. The deserts we chose were delicious. We had a wonderful time and would return should we find ourselves back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner out with friends.RMartinezDined on 8/1/2014I'll get right to it; we were a party of 4 for dinner. We ordered mussels, steak tartar and oysters from the raw bar. All had amazing flavor and were ample portions. We then ordered the flounder and swordfish. The flounder was a big hit. Crazy good flavor. Enough to prompt us to order another. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and delicious. We shared the chocolate mousse and we given some really yummy salted chocolate cookies. In addition we had a bottle of sparkling cider and a bottle of red wine. Obviously I can't say enough about our dining experience... except that it was made even better by our server, Devon. She was charming, knowledgeable and able to make recommendations for us and was a delight to interact with. Great time !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & BeautifulSueSDined on 7/29/2014Food was delicious, the presentation was delightful and the service was excellent. Even though we brought a 2 year old, we felt welcomed; and the child certainly enjoyed the large fish tank.Special Features:
- MauiDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant was ok not great. It was very load and there were a lot of open tables. The service was a little fast. We were just finished with our appetizers when out entrees came out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Fish!NotAFoodieDined on 7/26/2014We come to Portland every year in July...until this summer, Old Port Sea Grill was the only casual, moderately priced (yet relatively upscale) restaurant we found where you could enjoy a seafood meal that was not deep fried, and actually included a vegetable other than steamed corn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014good location, good food, good service. The noisiest restaurant we have ever been in. we won't go back againSpecial Features:
- It was all fine.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/23/2014We had lunch at Old Port Sea Grill a few days ago. We found it all to be fine - the dining room was fine, the service was fine, the food was fine. While it was all "fine", none of it was particularly exceptional. While I'm happy we tried it, we probably wouldn't return given all the other options in Portland.
- Great serviceDineCriticDined on 7/18/2014Food was ok. Potato side was flavorless. Salmon dish was very good.
- Amazing oysters!lallen71694Dined on 7/16/2014If you love oysters then this is the place for you. We ordered the small sampler appetizer and it was excellent. The restaurant is lovely and the waitstaff was very attentive. Overall a great place for dinner.Special Features:
- MehMAdinersDined on 7/5/2014Delicious but small entrees, and the service and the atmosphere are less than you'd expect for the prices you pay. It looks like a typical neighborhood bar/restaurant and isn't particularly upscale. The oysters were very good, but the clam chowder was the worst we've ever had -- watery and bland. The beer selection was also lacking.
- UnderwhelmingUninspiredDined on 7/4/2014The crab cakes basically looked and tasted as if they just came out of the freezer and were microwaved before being plated - a la Gordon fish sticks. The salmon was tasty, plentiful but the potatoe slices and asparagus on the side felt like an after thought. Five good size scallops were plated and were okay. But again potatoes and asparagus were the sides. Hoping for a little more variety here since we both like to share each other plates in the hopes of tasting something new.My partner and I have eaten at various seafood restaurants, some pricey and others not so much,but we always felt at the restaurants we patroned we got what we paid for until we ate here. The presentation, inspiration and style of the dishes do not demand their price.
- Perfect for visitorsCitygirlDined on 6/26/2014Seeking a local spot featuring seafood on a business trip to Portland, this restaurant was perfect. It combines a great view, uniquely Portland ambience, fresh seafood and friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- Oysters were great!MainelyDined on 6/22/2014The oysters were delicious however lacked variety of origin location.Special Features:
- choicesSadlyDined on 6/9/2014Good food overall but not a lot of choices if you just want something small at a little lower cost.
- Great pickMaineCambridgeDined on 6/4/2014Was meeting an out-of-state friend for dinner and needed to find someplace in Portland to dine. She was pleased and so was I. I had the muscles and they were really plump and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/25/2014Was my first visit to Portland, & was told how wonderful the food there was & about all of these amazing restaurants. Wanted to try Hugo or Emilitsa, but it was Sunday & they were closed. Settled for the old port sea grill, and the food was bland & disappointing.Special Features:
- Great serviceFernandoDined on 5/16/2014The food was generally good. One entree in the group order was of unsatisfactory flavors and textures. The waitress removed it from the bill. Very friendly and accommodating. Will return when the opportunity presents itself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedUnderwhelmingDined on 5/12/2014$34.00 for 6 or 7 Scallops. Really. $24-$28 for a Tiny piece of Salmon?
- Great bartenders Good foodPopPopDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed the friendly bar staff who talked us through the menu and wine list. We followed their recommendations and are happy we did. Fine oyster platter, good fries, lobster a bit over cooked but still it's lobster.Special Features:
- The following 237 reviews are from the Old Port Sea Grill reviews archive.
- SuperiorI295Dined on 4/16/2014Food preparation: 5 stars: The crab cake appetizer: 5 stars. The standard burger: 4 stars. The organic chicken: 5 stars. Presentation: 5 stars. Wait staff: Good but really shy, which is okay. Ambiance: Clean, spacious, tidy, upscale, modern, not noisy on Wednesday evening. Other pluses: Location and fish tank. Minuses: I didn't encounter any. I have been here a few times over the past three years and I have always been satisfied with the skill behind the food that comes out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2014Everyone was very nice especially we were there with 2 small kids to celebrate a birthday. Steak came very over done, ordered medium rare and came medium well and kids Mac and cheese came with frozen chunks. I'm not the kind to send food back though. Other than everything was great, oysters were delicious.Special Features:
- VERY DISAPPOINTING STEAMED LOBSTERPonyoVIPDined on 3/31/2014It took almost half an hour for my lobster to arrive. It was lukewarm, over priced and disappointing! The mussels were outstanding as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014From the apps to entrees everything was delicious and cooked perfect. Had the salmon, burger, oysters, and seared tuna app. Waitstaff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner & drinks!ShayheyheyDined on 2/8/2014Had dinner and drinks in the bar! Food was absolutely delicious and the dirty Martinis we're spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apps were good & portion adjustedGirlAboutTownDined on 1/20/2014Apps were good & portion adjusted for our table to share. But dinner sides were cold and only 1 dessert was available - they ran out of chocolate. *what?!!* Generally, food is good, but overpriced.
- Cold and not exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013I made New Years eve reservations for this restaurant because I had never been there. The reservation was late (8pm). The restaurant was not bust, but couldn't take us until 8pm. They sat us by the door and it was very cold that night. We had to ask the hostess for the space heater they were using at the hostess station. The food wasn't bad, but there is a lot better very close. This one didn't leave a great impression (I don't remember what I had), the food was so-so, the atmosphere was cold, and so wasn't the service.Special Features:
- claim chowder was not veryRichardDined on 12/31/2013claim chowder was not very good and the mussels were alright. Need new recipes for both. Too rich and creamy.
- Great restaurant! The foodHighclassdiner1Dined on 12/14/2013Great restaurant! The food and desserts were phenomenal! There is a vast selection in beer and wine. Will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy EveningGinaZDined on 12/1/2013A rainy, cold Sunday evening & the place was quite quiet, as we were the only guests. We were seated quickly, drink orders taken & Menues presented. I opted for 2 starters for my meal : BBQ calamari (Don't be fooled by the name) was delish with a subtle curry flavor & a nice cup of clam chowder with plenty of clams (not overloaded with potato!). My Fiancé enjoyed the flounder. A very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try musselsOutallthetimeVIPDined on 11/19/2013Forget the lobster roll..... The mussels are the best I've had!!! Also had the butternut squash soup which was really good.Special Features:
- Quiet spot in Portland.ancyraDined on 11/17/2013Lobster dumpling had a nice kick. The encrusted salmon was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Salmon was pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013The Salmon was pretty good but I make better at home. My clam chowder should have been listed as watery bacon chowder with clams, on the menu. The noise level made it difficult to hold a conversation without yelling.Special Features:
- Great service!Jeckad2Dined on 11/16/2013Our server was great, very attentive and friendly. Food was really good - especially the roasted scallop appetizer! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFrankVIPDined on 11/15/2013Bottom line, terrible food. Flounder was old, Pass when it should have been served. My wife's swordfish was dry and tasteless, either cooked poorly or frozen or both. Biggest telltale sign was old and browned lettuce in the salad. Few diners on a Fridat night. Suspect my experience was not unique.
- Good service...well done tunagarreyfDined on 11/6/2013Service was great. I could not complain about that. Two of us ordered the Tuna. It came to us well done. We did not have time to complain send it back.
- Wonderful dining experienceaecemeDined on 11/2/2013The oysters were absolutely delicious and a close second were the mussels. The lobster dinner was more than worth it as well as the seared tuna. Overall it was really great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.