Old Port Sea Grill
93 Commercial St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Old Port Sea Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldportseagrill.com/
- Phone: (207) 879-6100
- Hours of Operation:
Daily beginning at 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: David Connolly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off premise catering for lunch and dinner parties is available. Please call us at 207.879.6100 to discuss how we may serve you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our open, modern space provides many private dining options whether it be a corporate or social/family affair. Our lounge area can accommodate up to 60 guests for a cocktail party, while our dining room can accommodate up to 75 guests for a seated lunch or dinner. Reserving the entire restaurant will provide space for a cocktail party of approximately 150.
- Private Party Contact: Nathan Mohney 2078796100
A word from Old Port Sea Grill
The Old Port Sea Grill, located in the heart of the Old Port, serves the freshest seafood prepared simply so that you can taste the flavor and quality of the product. We offer the largest selection of oysters on the half shell in town, with varieties from across New England and Canada, providing you with a unique experience here in Portland. Of course, we always offer a traditional steamed Maine lobster and one of the best lobster rolls in Portland. Take in the city streets from our picture windows while relaxing with friends, entertaining business associates or watching our flat screen TVs. We have sixty four seats in our dining room and over fifty in our bar and lounge area, featuring our custom-built marble and concrete bar, allowing plenty of room for larger parties and gatherings in either area. We always feaure local micro brews on tap and have a specialty cocktail menu that changes seasonally. Be sure to check out our 500 gallon aquarium, one of the largest in the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Port Sea Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)good for groups (20)special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (11)scenic view (9)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great Lobster - very fresh!LuvgoodwineDined on 10/19/2014My friend and I were looking for some fresh lobster for lunch on Sunday and read the reviews for this restaurant. The service was great and the lobster roll was the best I've had! Great wine list as well!Special Features:
- Sides are important too!Likes2dineDined on 10/18/2014The server was very knowledgeable and attentive. She did not hover which was great. We started with a delicious lobster bisque. Very flavorful and light. None of the thick artery clogging cream. Mussels were fantastic, salmon delicious. BUT the sides were so undercooked. The fingerling potatoes were sent back for additional time on the stove. They came back over salted and hot but not much better. They were so hard you couldn't cut them with a knife. The Brussel sprouts were slightly better. They really need to see what is going on with the chef who attends to the sides. It spoils the meal when you can't eat what is on the plate. Sides are important too!Special Features:
- Our local go to place for seafoodCasablancacoDined on 10/18/2014This is the place where we will go when we want an outstanding seafood dinner. The food is mostly local and always fresh. We will often bring out of town guests here. We recently ate here to celebrate a family event. Our server was wonderful, just attentive enough to be sure we had everything, but not bothering us throughout the meal. She was very knowledgable about the menu and which foods were gluten free (one of or party needed this). The serving sizes are satisfying, yet not so filling that it is uncomfortable. The menu is usually one page, and changes depending upon what is available. We always find something delicious. Also, the restaurant has plenty of large windows overlooking the Old Port, rather than being in a confined space.Special Features:
- A Gem On The DocksKAONDined on 10/13/2014Located in a Reno building in the historical Portland docks area, the restaurant is a don't miss eatery. Start with happy hour for very reasonable drinks and a good bar menu. Dining was a joy as we were warmly received and seated. Our waiter, Gary, was super friendly and very knowledgeable about local history. He had an informative grasp of the evening's menu and recommended his favorite of the evening with an explanation of why. He was right on. He also had a keen grasp of the wine list and, again, was right on. The pastry chef, like the food chef, was outstanding. The test of a good Apple pie, for us, begins with the "shell" and it was as good as Granny's! A wonderful dining experience - oh, and the price is right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Gluten Free OptionsMaineMom2VIPDined on 10/11/2014Eating gluten free can sometimes be a challenge, but I know Old Port Sea Grill has many options to choose from and the staff is fairly knowledgeable. I enjoyed a shrimp cocktail appetizer and the flounder with fingerling potatoes and haricot verts.Special Features:
- Would Go Back AgainPaGrottsDined on 10/10/2014Old Port Sea Grill made for an enjoyable dinner, mostly due to our server/bar tender. We were initially sat a table in a crowded row with a bench seat the length of the dinning area. No privacy, tables to close. We asked to be moved to a table in the bar area and decided to sit at the bar. The bartender was awesome. Very personable, friendly and eager to wait on us. The food was outstanding. Between the great service and carefully prepared dishes we enjoyed our visit to Old Port Sea GrillSpecial Features:
- Great local lobster!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/5/2014We arrived very early and were seated anyway. We were greeted right away but our soup arrived before our cocktails. After 20 minutes, our martinis arrived, complimentary, as the bar tender was new and training. Based on the explanation and the apology, I was perfectly fine with that, stuff happens. The rest of the meal was served timely, service was excellent and the lobster was fresh and delicious! The dessert, trio of Italian ice, and port were excellent. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceHill64Dined on 9/28/2014We had a group of seven people. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Servers were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food at a reasonable priceSnuggsVIPDined on 9/21/2014Very busy the night I arrived, due to a couple last minute large parties. They handled it in stride, and did not skimp on the service. Everything we had was very good. Would recommend them over most of the places lining the other side of the street.
- Go to Street and CompanyLovePortlandVIPDined on 9/20/2014The menu offers great selection, but for the price and quality, Street and Company is where you should go. We spent $117 on two appetizers and two entrees. No alcohol, no dessert. For that price, I was very underwhelmed and very disappointed.Special Features:
- delightedmyopinionDined on 9/20/2014Spouse had the grilled swordfish and stated that it was the best ever had and is a New Englander so no stranger to fish. I had the grilled scallops with cajun spice which was very good. Accompaniments of fingerling potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts were excellent. The only thing we were disappointed with was the minimal menu choices and the noisy atmosphere. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GOOD PLACE FOR FISHSteveVIPDined on 9/16/2014Nice restaurant with a good selection of fish, perfectly prepared with wonderful serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- The best dining experienceKamilr13Dined on 9/12/2014It was my first beef tartare and I was amazed at the flavors and textures that blessed my palate. I had the lobster and steamers for dinner and again it was amazing. The lobster was cooked perfectly and the steamers were cleaned and ready to eat. The bread was made on site and the other meals eaten in my party were the lobster roll which I might add had three lobster tails and served with amazing homemade French fries and the grilled scallops were equally amazing. For dessert I had the Blueberry Creme brûlée. It was rich and yet light with a light berry flavor and delicate brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but too noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Fine if you love a loud bar, but the lack of acoustics made it too loud for us.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingKMo1VIPDined on 8/13/2014We were looking for a quick bite so we opted for the bar. Drinks came quickly; I asked a few questions & we ordered. Then we waited, & waited, & waited. Couple that came in after us got their food, ate & left before our food came - we did not order anything complicated - mussels & caesar salad. Bartender came by once to say it would be out shortly. As we were about to leave - food arrived. Mussels were great - bread delicious, caesar with shrimp was fine but by this point wait soured our visit. Reviews claim 1 of the best lobster rolls but at $21 what I saw was not too impressive. The bartender comp'd our drinks which was lovely but overall we likely would not go back when there are so many other restaurants in this city.Special Features:
- Okay experiencePOKEDined on 8/12/2014The oysters ( supposedly a specialty of the restaurant) were small and pretty uninteresting--no great salty taste, all about the same even though we ordered four different ones. The swordfish was very tasty--though a thin flat piece. The ambience--bare wooden tables--was fine but not cheery or welcoming.service was attentive and fine.
- Great food, noisy barSusieQVIPDined on 8/7/2014Awesome service and the best lobster bisque and lobster roll ever. A bit pricey and very noisy from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Averagelumpy62Dined on 8/6/2014Serviceable, but nothing memorable -- worked fine on an evening where many of the name spots were booked
- WonderfulLuv2eatoutVIPDined on 8/1/2014If you are looking for a seafood restaurant, this is a place to go to. Selection was good, our server was extremely helpful and took the time to explain the menu choices. The deserts we chose were delicious. We had a wonderful time and would return should we find ourselves back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner out with friends.RMartinezDined on 8/1/2014I'll get right to it; we were a party of 4 for dinner. We ordered mussels, steak tartar and oysters from the raw bar. All had amazing flavor and were ample portions. We then ordered the flounder and swordfish. The flounder was a big hit. Crazy good flavor. Enough to prompt us to order another. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and delicious. We shared the chocolate mousse and we given some really yummy salted chocolate cookies. In addition we had a bottle of sparkling cider and a bottle of red wine. Obviously I can't say enough about our dining experience... except that it was made even better by our server, Devon. She was charming, knowledgeable and able to make recommendations for us and was a delight to interact with. Great time !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & BeautifulSueSDined on 7/29/2014Food was delicious, the presentation was delightful and the service was excellent. Even though we brought a 2 year old, we felt welcomed; and the child certainly enjoyed the large fish tank.Special Features:
- The following 253 reviews are from the Old Port Sea Grill reviews archive.
- MauiDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant was ok not great. It was very load and there were a lot of open tables. The service was a little fast. We were just finished with our appetizers when out entrees came out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Fish!NotAFoodieDined on 7/26/2014We come to Portland every year in July...until this summer, Old Port Sea Grill was the only casual, moderately priced (yet relatively upscale) restaurant we found where you could enjoy a seafood meal that was not deep fried, and actually included a vegetable other than steamed corn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014good location, good food, good service. The noisiest restaurant we have ever been in. we won't go back againSpecial Features:
- It was all fine.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/23/2014We had lunch at Old Port Sea Grill a few days ago. We found it all to be fine - the dining room was fine, the service was fine, the food was fine. While it was all "fine", none of it was particularly exceptional. While I'm happy we tried it, we probably wouldn't return given all the other options in Portland.
- Great serviceDineCriticDined on 7/18/2014Food was ok. Potato side was flavorless. Salmon dish was very good.
- Amazing oysters!lallen71694Dined on 7/16/2014If you love oysters then this is the place for you. We ordered the small sampler appetizer and it was excellent. The restaurant is lovely and the waitstaff was very attentive. Overall a great place for dinner.Special Features:
- MehMAdinersVIPDined on 7/5/2014Delicious but small entrees, and the service and the atmosphere are less than you'd expect for the prices you pay. It looks like a typical neighborhood bar/restaurant and isn't particularly upscale. The oysters were very good, but the clam chowder was the worst we've ever had -- watery and bland. The beer selection was also lacking.
- UnderwhelmingUninspiredDined on 7/4/2014The crab cakes basically looked and tasted as if they just came out of the freezer and were microwaved before being plated - a la Gordon fish sticks. The salmon was tasty, plentiful but the potatoe slices and asparagus on the side felt like an after thought. Five good size scallops were plated and were okay. But again potatoes and asparagus were the sides. Hoping for a little more variety here since we both like to share each other plates in the hopes of tasting something new.My partner and I have eaten at various seafood restaurants, some pricey and others not so much,but we always felt at the restaurants we patroned we got what we paid for until we ate here. The presentation, inspiration and style of the dishes do not demand their price.
- Perfect for visitorsCitygirlDined on 6/26/2014Seeking a local spot featuring seafood on a business trip to Portland, this restaurant was perfect. It combines a great view, uniquely Portland ambience, fresh seafood and friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- Oysters were great!MainelyDined on 6/22/2014The oysters were delicious however lacked variety of origin location.Special Features:
- choicesSadlyVIPDined on 6/9/2014Good food overall but not a lot of choices if you just want something small at a little lower cost.
- Great pickMaineCambridgeDined on 6/4/2014Was meeting an out-of-state friend for dinner and needed to find someplace in Portland to dine. She was pleased and so was I. I had the muscles and they were really plump and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/25/2014Was my first visit to Portland, & was told how wonderful the food there was & about all of these amazing restaurants. Wanted to try Hugo or Emilitsa, but it was Sunday & they were closed. Settled for the old port sea grill, and the food was bland & disappointing.Special Features:
- Great serviceFernandoDined on 5/16/2014The food was generally good. One entree in the group order was of unsatisfactory flavors and textures. The waitress removed it from the bill. Very friendly and accommodating. Will return when the opportunity presents itself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedUnderwhelmingDined on 5/12/2014$34.00 for 6 or 7 Scallops. Really. $24-$28 for a Tiny piece of Salmon?
- Great bartenders Good foodPopPopDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed the friendly bar staff who talked us through the menu and wine list. We followed their recommendations and are happy we did. Fine oyster platter, good fries, lobster a bit over cooked but still it's lobster.Special Features:
- SuperiorI295Dined on 4/16/2014Food preparation: 5 stars: The crab cake appetizer: 5 stars. The standard burger: 4 stars. The organic chicken: 5 stars. Presentation: 5 stars. Wait staff: Good but really shy, which is okay. Ambiance: Clean, spacious, tidy, upscale, modern, not noisy on Wednesday evening. Other pluses: Location and fish tank. Minuses: I didn't encounter any. I have been here a few times over the past three years and I have always been satisfied with the skill behind the food that comes out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and friendlyEnjoyableDined on 4/3/2014Everyone was very nice especially we were there with 2 small kids to celebrate a birthday. Steak came very over done, ordered medium rare and came medium well and kids Mac and cheese came with frozen chunks. I'm not the kind to send food back though. Other than everything was great, oysters were delicious.Special Features:
- VERY DISAPPOINTING STEAMED LOBSTERPonyoVIPDined on 3/31/2014It took almost half an hour for my lobster to arrive. It was lukewarm, over priced and disappointing! The mussels were outstanding as an appetizer.Special Features: