Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
56 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122429040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm, Saturday: 1:00pm - 11:45pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Will provide our signature dishes in your home or venue.
- Private Party Facilities: Old Homestead offers private dining space for parties of 15 to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Troche 2122429040
A word from Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (118)fit for foodies (75)good for groups (54)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (48)romantic (43)great for lunch (21)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- BernVIPDined on 9/19/2014Pretty restaurant with beautiful ceilings and nice bar area. Delicious food--perfectly prepared steak, delicious onion soup, fabulous clams- and good serviceSpecial Features:
- Its not what it used to be...NotableNewYorkerDined on 9/17/2014Having been to the Old Homestead on several previous occasions, I was looking forward to going again. I was disappointed to see some of the letters on the neon sign out front had burned out and not been replaced. I was a few minutes early and was directed to the bar to have a drink prior to my 7:00 PM seating. I looked at the bourbon menu and ordered Jim Beam. The server said they didn't have it. When we were seated a few minutes later I was disappointed to see cheap placemats - not white tablecloths. No options on the menu for smaller sized steaks - a 10 oz filet mignon was the smallest so the females in the group had to order steaks they couldn't finish. Service was so so. For a $500 meal for 3 people, I will go elsewhere in the future.
- Solid 2nd TierElHombreLecheDined on 9/15/2014They have great, well aged steaks. Sounds like a silly thing, but I don't think mine was seasoned at all (no salt or pepper). I had a beautiful rib eye with a great bone. I ordered it medium rare and it was served a bit over but still within the realm of "acceptable." All fine except for lack of S&P both on my steak and on the table. We started with a tower of seafood which was not top notch: lobster tails were hammered, raw oysters must have been sitting because surface liquid had dried however they were well cleaned and shucked, collosal shrimp were great, but lump crab had a certain flavor hint that suggested diaper. Accompanying condiments were a little spartan; just horseradish, lemon and malt vinegar (and not enough lemon).Special Features:
- Old HomesteadDannyDined on 9/12/2014The steaks at The Old Homestead were among the greatest we ever experienced. the side dishes were nothing special and the prices are high. We did not get any bread, which is inexcusable and the tonic soda for the gin and vodka was awful.Special Features:
- Classic Olde Time NY SteakhousenicknameVIPDined on 9/11/2014Good food. Good Drink. Good 100+ year old restaurant. Everyone should experience it at least once.Special Features:
- Hmmm....LucyVIPDined on 9/11/2014We were so looking forward to our late lunch at this place. All was going very well until it didn't. What we realized happened is that staff BOLT out of there when their shift ends.....and there is a lag before the next shift is ready to take over. So after we finished our meal, we sat for quite a long time (more than 20 minutes!) without anyone taking away our dishes, leaving us with empty drinks, etc. We had to find someone to help us. By the time that they did offer us dessert and coffee, we were ready to get out of there. There are so many steakhouses in NYC -- so I am not sure I would give this one another chance (although the food, atmosphere, and initial service were quite good).
- Not what I spectDuquesaVIPDined on 9/8/2014Very good neighborhood, great location but the food was ok, we are meat lovers, nothing out of the world for the price that you have to paid!
- JackArkel99Dined on 9/7/2014The steak is more than excellent. Only the wine list is expensive. As a European I see wines which are average priced normaly, expensive on there list. That last thing can be better.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed a great dinner at this classic New York steakhouse. Our porterhouse for two was cooked to perfection. The choped salad is the best in the city.I would recommend this to a friend.
- msdaisyDined on 9/6/2014GREAT MEAL ! EVERYTHING WAS AWESOME INCLUDING THE WINE.Special Features:
- How have I not eaten here before?!KathDined on 9/6/2014I've lived in New York for 10 years and just now ate at The Old Homestead. Everything was amazing. I will be back.Special Features:
- Old time flavorRitaDined on 9/6/2014Felt like back in time. Old world charm. Food was delicious. Would have liked a little more meat on the rib eye. But overall loved it.Special Features:
- Too Notch Steak HouseSavResidentVIPDined on 9/4/2014Never disappoints. Went with 8 colleagues and they gave us a round table to help facilitate the best conversation. 20oz Kobe Beef burger was great along with all the good we ordered. Great traditional steak place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RETURN from UKPuszek13Dined on 9/4/2014First visit in 1998 then in 2002 and 2004 for our pre-wedding meal and again this year 2014 for our 10th wedding anniversary. Still amazing and will continue to rave about this place to friends and through Facebook ! Wonderful food, wine and service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid.Neighborhoodiner1VIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was delicious from the calamari and rock shrimp appetizers to the perfectly cooked rib eye. Wine list needs a little help, but overall this is a must go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique steakBigKahuna3Dined on 8/26/2014The bone in filet was the best steak I've had outside of grilling one myself. The bone attached to a filet was unique; they usually don't come with a bone.Special Features:
- steakhouseLotteHoffDined on 8/25/2014I came to this place and got the most service I have had in may years, a very nice surprise, and I can recommend it very much for seafood and steaksSpecial Features:
- food.SteakhouseDined on 8/23/2014very good food. 2nd time here looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- a reliable favoriteChrisKfromWestchesterDined on 8/22/2014We have eaten here for more than 30 years and it remains a favorite. Because of high prices, it is a special occasion restaurant, out-of-town fellow carnivores, retirement, and job-changing, congratulatory dinners. The staff are a hoot: classic old world attention. We never had to flag down a waiter; they are at your elbow in a non-obtrusive but attentive manner. Over the years, our ability of inhale large steaks has diminished so now we content ourselves w/ 14 oz. and a take-home-bag. The sides are their own entertainment. This is the only restaurant in the world where I have not felt that they stinted on the crab meat. I should also add, this is a cosmopolitan crowd. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Came for the steak - 5/5!carbonmonsterDined on 8/20/2014I visited this place as I was visiting New York for business, and as New York is one of the contestants for having named the Porterhouse Steak, I could not pass up the opportunity to go and eat a good one. After asking around, I was referred to the Old Homestead. The Porterhouse is for two people only, but they do have a T-bone (practically the same thing). By default, that is a Cajun T-Bone, buy when I asked they happily made it without the Cajun for me. Excellent meat does not need all those spices, and excellent it was! :-D This is easily the best steak I ever had.Special Features:
- Luck14Lucky14Dined on 8/20/2014Always a great meal . Classic old school steak house that's a must to go to.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Took my son there for the first time ... started a new tradition. Love this place!!
- incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014What an amazing establishment...since 1868. this place has every right to be pretentious and super dressy - but, thank goodness it isn't!! There are many reasons Old Homestead has been around for so long. I am so thankful for the time I got to spend there!Special Features:
- Disappointingddl15Dined on 8/16/2014What a huge disappointment. We went there to celebrate my husband's bday. It was like being part of an assembly line. No personal service whatsoever and mediocre food at best.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014The Kobe burger will ruin you for life. It is so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveariDaveAriDined on 8/14/2014The porterhouse was perfect. With such high expectations I was afraid I would be let down. That night they hit a home run. I was suprised when we received our menus the king prime rib was listed as a Friday and Saturday only. I asked our waiter and he said sometimes they do that and he couldn't understand why. Neither did I. The crab cake was over rated and I would not order again. The shrimp cocktail were the size of chicken legs. Very good but I don't think I order them again either. Overall the main floor dinning room is long and narrow but looks redone and it's very classy and comfortable. To sum it up the porterhouse was fantastic and I will gladly return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Meat very good, like never tried. The persons at the tables not so friendly. Due to the cost, forbidden to have a glass of wine!!!Special Features:
- Special Dinner....BrooklynManDined on 8/12/2014I had been a while since I was at the Old Homestead. So I took my girlfriend there for a birthday dinner. We had an awesome "carnivore" dinner with a great bottle of wine. Service is great and the food is awesome. I don't think we will be waiting as long to do this again.Special Features:
- Outstanding Filet Mignon Burger!BillyKlubDined on 8/10/2014Best burger I have ever had! Well worth the $29.00 price tag........... Crave it at least once a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicMikedespoDined on 8/8/2014Love the Old Homestead. Great steaks. Sweet and sour calamari is unique and excellent. Try and sit upstairs as I always am disappointed by the set up downstairs. Upstairs is a bit more special.Special Features:
- Best Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Been here several times. The food and service is EXCELLENT. Great dinner spot for pre-theater and business dinners. Highly RecommendSpecial Features:
- Rude, rude waiterMeTooVIPDined on 8/4/2014Love the food here, but the wait staff needs to be less nasty. Felt like we were bothering him when asked questions.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Short wait with reservation. Very nice and attentive staff. Food was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious. My family enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey but always greatGrobeVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our waiter was great. Service tended to the kids like they were paying. Never a dissatisfied customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Foods were wonderful and yummy! It was good ambience. I really enjoyed the Barbecue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the burger!TheGoochVIPDined on 8/1/2014The 20z burger is amazing. No ketchup, no mustard, NOTHING. It's bliss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Miss the bacon tots!LikeWhatILikeDined on 7/31/2014Stumbled upon this restaurant last spring and couldn't have been happier with the experience... amazing food and service. Decided to do a repeat this year during another adventure to NYC. The food was still great, but our server wasn't the friendliest in the world. As we were finishing up our meal, we felt very rushed to pay and leave. For a "high-end" steak place, that's not what we expected, nor is it what we experience at other restaurants of similar caliber. Their steaks are great and portions are generous, so it's a great value if you've got a hefty appetite. They pulled the bacon tots off the menu though... they were amazing. When I asked about them, we were told that they may be coming back soon. A treat for you if they are!Special Features:
- Meatpacking District GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014The Old Homestead is a must-visit if you love beef! The roast prime rib has to be seen to be believed, and in the 30+ years I've been going there, I have never had a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticErikDined on 7/26/2014Food and service was fantastic. Steaks were enormous and cooked exactly to our liking.Special Features: