Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
56 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (212) 242-9040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm, Saturday: 1:00pm - 11:45pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Will provide our signature dishes in your home or venue.
- Private Party Facilities: Old Homestead offers private dining space for parties of 15 to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Troche 2122429040
A word from Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (103)fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (62)notable wine list (49)romantic (42)hot spot (28)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Slow service, very loud groups, but great steaksCheefachiDined on 11/21/2014Went here with my wife for our anniversary. We never expected it to be romantic, we've wanted a good steak. Even though we made a reservation, we didn't get seated until almost 40 minutes past the reservation and my wife was getting grumpy due to hunger. The food took a while to get to us, the wait staff grumpy, and the group of 4 men sitting next to us were insanely loud. But the porterhouse for 2 was really good, meaty and juicy and with an excellent texture. A nice contrast to the soaked-in-butter steakhouses which are good but sometimes you want a nice steak that stands alone. Sides were good and overall we were satisfied. But unless you want the steak, this isn't the place to take a date. Go here with the guys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B GillisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014The atmosphere was nice..although it took almost and hour to be seated with reservations. The staff friendly and the petite filet migon was ver good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceBDSSSSVIPDined on 11/21/2014I frequent many of the steakhouses in Manhattan but it was my first time at Old Homstead and it was a big disappointment. The service was the worst I had at any restaurant in Manhattan. It took a long time to get menus and bread. When we finally got menus we had to ask the waiter to order. The seafood appetizer came in a reasonable time but after that we waited more than 40 minutes for our salad which they likely forgot. Before salad they brought steak knives and said our food would be coming soon then they finally brought salad and steak shortly thereafter. No apology for waiting 40 minutes for salad and the waiter barely paid attention to us. We were extremely disappointed.
- it was OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014It wasnt what I expected. I thought the steaks would be bigger badder and better. Wouldn't go back unless I had a reason too.Special Features:
- third level not for kidsluv2dineDined on 11/15/2014food was great. service was so so. we sat among 2 large parties (over 10+ people) and we were just a party of 4 with a 4 yr old. (they should have put us on a different floor!) our son was more behaved than most but we felt we didn't receive any service or attention like the larger parties. luckily we don't hold grudges. so on a positive note, the steaks were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the old homestead was great a must do steakhouse.nyclucas512Dined on 11/15/2014the old homestead lived up to our expectations and then some. the atomsphere was great but the food was to die for. my wife and i will soon dine there again for sure. if you are into steak this is a must do.great wine list as well and try the mac and cheese you will not be disapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedChanciedqwnDined on 11/14/2014This was one of the only steakhouses with lots of open reservations for a Friday night in NYC. That should have been a sign of things to come. Our server was not helpful. He ordered a steak for 2 for my table before we had decided. He said we could order our sides after he rang in the steak. Mainly it felt like he just wanted us gone so he could have a new table. The only highlight was a passing server names Cesar. He was nice and very helpful. Since the food was only mediocre I would not recommend this place. Save your money and dine at at a Ruth's chris where atleast the servers are friendly.Special Features:
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014In a word: poor. Service was excruciatingly slow, steaks were all undercooked and the dining room was too loud. After getting our $500 bill (after a round of free drinks for poor service and a comped steak), my parter of 5 still felt ripped off. Pass.
- Not up to NYC standardsnycdinerVIPDined on 11/8/2014There are a lot of steakhouses in NYC, this one is not up to par. Service was non-existent, steak unevenly cooked (half raw, half well-done in one piece of meat), sides were bland. Steak au poivre seasoning was good. Had to seek out the waiter if we needed something. Hate to give bad reviews, but I just can't recommend this place.
- Pleasant returnTazzz25Dined on 11/8/2014I have been to the homestead about twenty years ago. As a birthday present, I took my husband and a few friends for dinner. What a great feeling to get the same quality in food and service that I had come to expect from the Old Homestead. Definitely a return visit is in the future!Special Features:
- steak at meat packingtastebud330VIPDined on 11/7/2014I have been to the restaurant many times. Steak is tasty. Service is great.Special Features:
- Great FoodCabraharpsDined on 11/6/2014Great food let down by very poor bar service. After waiting 15 mins while the bar tender served waiter after waiter ignoring customers at the bar. She then spent started to clean up and restock the bar. Finaily had to find the manager and have him get us a drink.Special Features:
- Poor servicejulieDined on 11/6/2014The cashier does not work properly. I booked this restaurant at 8pm, but she does not allow us getting in even though we arrived there at 7:55pm. So uncomfortable sercvice because the cashier said just wait ten minutes when I arrived at the restaurant, but when I asked her how long I need to wait more at 8:10 pm, she said what my name is and wait 10minutes again. Why work like this? I can wait if the cashier said wait 20or 30minutes when I arrived at the restaurant. But why 10minutes and 10minutes more more... So bad working
- Old Homstead excelente!jaimevmcDined on 11/5/2014Ubicado en Meat Packing District, una de las zonas más Trendy de NY por lo que es una excelente opción para organizar una cena de manteles largos y después saltar a algún bar de moda. La comida espectacular, no sólo los cortes, todo lo que pedimos estuvo delicioso. Los cortes son seleccionados y preparados con mucha atención, un Medim Rare es un verdadero Medium Rare en Old Homsteade. Gran selección de vinos de todas las regiones, cuidadosamente seleccionados para obtener un maridaje excelente con las opciones de la carta. Por ultimo el servicio fue excepcional, cálido, divertido y sobre todo enfocado a la satisfacción del cliente. Excelente lugar, considera 125-150 usd por persona con una botella de excelente calidad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back again...SteakalloverDined on 11/2/2014The food and most of the service was great. Our only complaint is that my wife likes her steak well done. The waiter had a very hard time with this and made quite a few comments about it and even brought her a very underdone steak. The support staff was right on it when they noticed my wife wasn't happy and they fixed the issue immediately. As my wife says, "I bought it and am going to eat it, so don't tell me how to have it!" The waiter was apologetic and everything ended out fine. We loved the food and had a great time. We will go back when we go to Manhattan next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected moreBobGDined on 10/31/2014As a local from the NY-tri-state area, I had always wanted to visit OHS for many years, until we did recently. WIth many food options in this now trendy meatacking" area, OHS has always stood-out as a top in class and one of the beter NY steakhouses. I continue to beleive so as our porterhouse for 2 was good, but we found the salad and Ahi Tuna, quite remarkable. We also thought the dinning area's were very small and you were cramped against your fellow diner. Not the experience I anticipated.Special Features:
- Fun spitFunfoodDined on 10/29/2014Enjoyed a Gotham steak and great seafood.Ilmy wife had the lamb chops and they were outstanding. Crabcake was outstanding. The best shrimp cocktail everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerGoodVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had a good dinner the steaks we great and the sides were some of the best we have had. It gets crowded so you have to deal with lots of people and noise but its worth itSpecial Features:
- Best Steakhouse in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Thank you for a great and fantastic evening. The Qualität of the Food is excellent and your service is perfect!Special Features:
- Does not respect reservationsDs123Dined on 10/18/2014Went to the restaurant this past Saturday after making 8:30 reservations at least two weeks earlier. The place was completely packed with people waiting - they told us to wait 15 minutes and it took an hour and 15. I checked open table and reservations STILL looked open so it's clear they just don't manage reservations at all and purposely overbook, knowing how hard it can be to find a replacement for dinner that late in meat packing. They didn't apologize or offer us a discount or drink. Definitely will not go back. There is much better service elsewhere - try lugar or palmsSpecial Features:
- 2nd visitNew2nycDined on 10/18/2014Had another great experience here. Food is exceptional!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for a Good SteakSteakOut2014Dined on 10/18/2014My son, his wife and I were going on a bus trip to NYC and the only way my husband would go is if he could get a good steak. We found exactly that at the Old Homestead Restaurant. The noise level was fairly loud (our reservations were at 2 pm) but it quickly died down when the 'lunch' crowd diminished. Appetizers and meal were awesome! The server was friendly and seemed to genuinely care about our experience. A definite 'thumbs up!' Additionally, it's a plus that this place is open during the day on a Sat. Many places only start serving dinner at 7 pm....most buses depart the city at 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great TimeJunieDined on 10/17/2014In brief, great food, extensive menu, humorous waiter, had to shout across the table but that was part of the fun. Enjoyed!Special Features:
- DutchfugeDined on 10/17/2014Old Homestead being close to the meat packing disctrict is not stuck in the past, it simply stays close to its roots and what it's good at. The meat was succulent, tender and perfectly done. Our daughter had a burger and again no complicated additions to make it into something it should not be. The desert was perfectly aligned with the best cheesecake of our week in New York, the full textured the cheese with a creamy sensation at theend. The wine was a little find too, hidden in th least section with 5 French reds look for the 2009 Medoc, which at $53 is probably underpriced compared to the rest of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere for a good steak!daveDined on 10/13/2014Low noise level,so you can speak when you eat. Good steaks and hamburgersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold foodmrpdudeDined on 10/12/2014the spinach was cold and the meat also. we payed way to much then it was worth. will never ever go there again
- What a find!EbotDined on 10/11/2014The Old Homestead was a tad pricey, but the food was well worth it! The staff was courteous and attentive and it was packed with New Yorkers! Loved it!Special Features:
- Searing Steers since 1868HydroxDined on 10/11/2014This place is just what you would expect given it's history. Sitting in the heart of the Meat Packing District and serving up beef since 1868 which is the same year Edison applied for his first patent, Wyoming became an official Territory of the US, and the 14th Amendment was ratified for some perspective. The atmosphere was busy and you could almost imagine the place more than 100 years ago being very similar. The beef was excellent, the service was very good. Our waiter was efficient, personable and funny. The portions are HUGE. Do split the 19oz Filet, and get the blue point oysters with enormous prawns. Reservations were smooth with Opentable, we were seated within a few minutesof our reservation. I wholeheartedly recommend dining here.Special Features:
- DinnerbellDined on 10/10/2014Had a friend from Berlin visiting for the evening, staying in meatpacking district. Suggested that we have dinner there and it was fabulous! Nice steakhouse atmosphere, attentive, but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NYC Steak HouseLuv2shareDined on 10/9/2014If you're looking for a real authentic NYC Steak house, The Old Homestead is where to go. The appetizers are top notch, from the west coast oysters to whatever tickles your fancy. Steak, lobster and all the sides are out of this world. The service is really what you make of it...Im the type to interact with the servers, Id suggest the same to anyone else that feels comfortable with that. They are very pleasant and extremely knowledgable with respect to their establishment. I really liked the fact that the Owner, "Greg" made it a point to introduce himself and ask if everything was to our liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous, wonderful, superbJoanVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is what every restaurant should emulate--extraordinary meal from imaginative salad to perfectly prepared garlic bread, then, the centerpiece, porterhouse steak for two--flavorful, generous, grilled to perfection. On to creamed spinach then a superlative chocolate cake. Waiters are skilled, gracious, attentive without hovering. Worth every penny (lots of pennies!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTommy1Dined on 9/27/2014Great food and atmosphere. Much noise from the other tables ruined some of the evening for us who went there with 2 teenagers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food !!!New2nycDined on 9/27/2014Walked past this restaurant many times in the last year. It exceeded all expectations. Good was delicious and server was very knowledgable!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RAYKAMDined on 9/27/2014Being a fan of Ruth Chis Steaks, I wanted to try Homestead. Hands down, Ruth Chris remains my favorite....still. I was not overly excited over Homestead. I felt the steak was average and overpriced ---I opted out for the 40 oz rib steak for 2. It was not 40oz and the steak was , at best, average. Service was ok and where we dined,the Library upstairs, was tight with the tables pushed against each other. Oh yes, we had the salad wedge...it was good...but at $15....mmm.. a bit overpriced. Got to say, I will continue to get my steak from Ruth Chris, until something else comes up.Special Features:
- Good time at the Old HomesteadBK88Dined on 9/27/2014Had a family reunion of sorts on 9/27/14 at the Old Homestead. The food was good but the company was better. We went all out and had a tower of seafood appetizer. Huge shrimp, oysters, crab meat, lobster tails, and baked clams on the side. Really nicely done. Gotham steaks for just about all. A good steak but there are better in town. Sarko (?) our waiter was fantastic. Extremely warm and friendly. Joked around with our ruckus group. Very attentive. Desserts were good and the coffee better. But it ain't cheap.Special Features:
- One wordEdwardJDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic Our meal was outstanding Appetizers perfect Steaks cooked exactly to order Great wine Service on pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodTommyVIPDined on 9/22/2014My first time at this lovely place. The best Mac & Cheese I have ever had. The prices are worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scratched an itchjohncn47Dined on 9/21/2014Used to pass this place often, 40 - 45 years ago, when I'd come to visit Mom who lived around the block on 13th St. At that time this was the only establishment of note left on 9th Ave. which was composed primarily of cobblestone and still had rail tracks running through the pavement, a throwback to the meat packing districts generous commerce of days hence. I suppose I spoke of this place often in my reminisces to my Godson for it was among my favorite memories and one regret that I had in life ... never having dined in the great old establishment. Well, call it a bucket list item, scratching an itch or just a token of love from a Godson to his Padrino on his birthday we finally made that date at the Old Homestead - it was worth the waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table Avail? BewareEatMeDined on 9/20/2014Table available on OT? Beware. I suspect they overbook their tables. I thought it curious a 9:30pm Saturday was available but I grabbed it. When we arrived at 9:25, we were told 15 minutes. Which soon lapsed into 35+. We may also have been the only NYers there. Despite it all, food was so enjoyable. Get the green beans as a side - so flavorful!
- Slow WaiterJHK3Dined on 9/20/2014Front desk Bartenders and staff were excellent, Butttt. Once we got to table service was slow and sometimes no where to be found. After Dinner ordered coffee and after 15min gave up and just asked for Check. a shame since the rest or the dining experience was very niceSpecial Features: