Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
56 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122429040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm, Saturday: 1:00pm - 11:45pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Will provide our signature dishes in your home or venue.
- Private Party Facilities: Old Homestead offers private dining space for parties of 15 to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Troche 2122429040
A word from Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City
Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Homestead Restaurant - New York City reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (43)notable wine list (42)romantic (37)great for lunch (21)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Solid.Neighborhoodiner1VIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was delicious from the calamari and rock shrimp appetizers to the perfectly cooked rib eye. Wine list needs a little help, but overall this is a must go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakhouseLotteHoffDined on 8/25/2014I came to this place and got the most service I have had in may years, a very nice surprise, and I can recommend it very much for seafood and steaksSpecial Features:
- food.SteakhouseDined on 8/23/2014very good food. 2nd time here looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- a reliable favoriteChrisKfromWestchesterDined on 8/22/2014We have eaten here for more than 30 years and it remains a favorite. Because of high prices, it is a special occasion restaurant, out-of-town fellow carnivores, retirement, and job-changing, congratulatory dinners. The staff are a hoot: classic old world attention. We never had to flag down a waiter; they are at your elbow in a non-obtrusive but attentive manner. Over the years, our ability of inhale large steaks has diminished so now we content ourselves w/ 14 oz. and a take-home-bag. The sides are their own entertainment. This is the only restaurant in the world where I have not felt that they stinted on the crab meat. I should also add, this is a cosmopolitan crowd. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Came for the steak - 5/5!carbonmonsterDined on 8/20/2014I visited this place as I was visiting New York for business, and as New York is one of the contestants for having named the Porterhouse Steak, I could not pass up the opportunity to go and eat a good one. After asking around, I was referred to the Old Homestead. The Porterhouse is for two people only, but they do have a T-bone (practically the same thing). By default, that is a Cajun T-Bone, buy when I asked they happily made it without the Cajun for me. Excellent meat does not need all those spices, and excellent it was! :-D This is easily the best steak I ever had.Special Features:
- Luck14Lucky14Dined on 8/20/2014Always a great meal . Classic old school steak house that's a must to go to.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Took my son there for the first time ... started a new tradition. Love this place!!
- incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014What an amazing establishment...since 1868. this place has every right to be pretentious and super dressy - but, thank goodness it isn't!! There are many reasons Old Homestead has been around for so long. I am so thankful for the time I got to spend there!Special Features:
- Disappointingddl15Dined on 8/16/2014What a huge disappointment. We went there to celebrate my husband's bday. It was like being part of an assembly line. No personal service whatsoever and mediocre food at best.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014The Kobe burger will ruin you for life. It is so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveariDaveAriDined on 8/14/2014The porterhouse was perfect. With such high expectations I was afraid I would be let down. That night they hit a home run. I was suprised when we received our menus the king prime rib was listed as a Friday and Saturday only. I asked our waiter and he said sometimes they do that and he couldn't understand why. Neither did I. The crab cake was over rated and I would not order again. The shrimp cocktail were the size of chicken legs. Very good but I don't think I order them again either. Overall the main floor dinning room is long and narrow but looks redone and it's very classy and comfortable. To sum it up the porterhouse was fantastic and I will gladly return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Meat very good, like never tried. The persons at the tables not so friendly. Due to the cost, forbidden to have a glass of wine!!!Special Features:
- Special Dinner....BrooklynManDined on 8/12/2014I had been a while since I was at the Old Homestead. So I took my girlfriend there for a birthday dinner. We had an awesome "carnivore" dinner with a great bottle of wine. Service is great and the food is awesome. I don't think we will be waiting as long to do this again.Special Features:
- Outstanding Filet Mignon Burger!BillyKlubDined on 8/10/2014Best burger I have ever had! Well worth the $29.00 price tag........... Crave it at least once a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicMikedespoDined on 8/8/2014Love the Old Homestead. Great steaks. Sweet and sour calamari is unique and excellent. Try and sit upstairs as I always am disappointed by the set up downstairs. Upstairs is a bit more special.Special Features:
- Best Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Been here several times. The food and service is EXCELLENT. Great dinner spot for pre-theater and business dinners. Highly RecommendSpecial Features:
- Rude, rude waiterMeTooVIPDined on 8/4/2014Love the food here, but the wait staff needs to be less nasty. Felt like we were bothering him when asked questions.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Short wait with reservation. Very nice and attentive staff. Food was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious. My family enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey but always greatGrobeVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our waiter was great. Service tended to the kids like they were paying. Never a dissatisfied customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Foods were wonderful and yummy! It was good ambience. I really enjoyed the Barbecue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the burger!TheGoochVIPDined on 8/1/2014The 20z burger is amazing. No ketchup, no mustard, NOTHING. It's bliss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Miss the bacon tots!LikeWhatILikeDined on 7/31/2014Stumbled upon this restaurant last spring and couldn't have been happier with the experience... amazing food and service. Decided to do a repeat this year during another adventure to NYC. The food was still great, but our server wasn't the friendliest in the world. As we were finishing up our meal, we felt very rushed to pay and leave. For a "high-end" steak place, that's not what we expected, nor is it what we experience at other restaurants of similar caliber. Their steaks are great and portions are generous, so it's a great value if you've got a hefty appetite. They pulled the bacon tots off the menu though... they were amazing. When I asked about them, we were told that they may be coming back soon. A treat for you if they are!Special Features:
- Meatpacking District GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014The Old Homestead is a must-visit if you love beef! The roast prime rib has to be seen to be believed, and in the 30+ years I've been going there, I have never had a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticErikDined on 7/26/2014Food and service was fantastic. Steaks were enormous and cooked exactly to our liking.Special Features:
- ExcellentMolldollDined on 7/26/2014Old Homestead was delicious! Great service and excellent food. The filet and truffle mac is to die for. Restaurant is a little loud but otherwise excellent experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Food has been fantastic both times my wife and I have visited. Good service on top of it. Should be great service foe an average of $125.00 per person though. But that's NYC for you.Special Features:
- Dicky DreamerMorpheus2Dined on 7/25/2014Saw this place on US food prog as recommended & my partner said she wanted to experience a real American burger so we thought , give it a go. Not disappointed. A truly memorable experience, one we shall cherish on our return to UK. The only small criticism, the wine by the glass price was extremely steep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodD4doorDined on 7/21/2014The waiter was slow and unattentive for a place that is so high in price.. It seem like he was working on two floors..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014One of the oldest steak houses in New York City and they definitely know how to prepare and cook their steaks to perfection. Their choice of meats are superb and scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough to beatEATSOUTALOTDined on 7/18/2014Go hungry with a large wallet- and then it is everything an old city steakhouse should be- I have been here a half dozen times throughout the years. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- YOLODined on 7/17/2014FOOD WAS EXCELENT, BUT THE SERVICE WAS HORRIBLE. DON'T THINK I'LL RETURN ANYTIME SOON.Special Features:
- Great!!BobCDined on 7/15/2014Fabulous steaks! Great Service! We had a wonderful lunch! Thank you very much!Special Features:
- MeatygeoeatsDined on 7/12/2014We ordered Filet Mignon wrapped in bacon and Filet on the bone. Both were perfectly cooked and the quality was amazing. The sides were large, more than enough in fact. Good wine list robbed off a perfect meal. Staff were attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bxbomber77Dined on 7/5/2014We had a great experience. The service was excellent and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Great after all these yearshowarddunnDined on 7/4/2014We have been long time customers of the Homestead, for years. Someone had told us that the food has gone down hill. Well, THEY ARE TOTALLY WRONG. We have visited the Old Homestead twice, this year so far. The food was great, perfectly prepared as we requested. Everything was perfect. We will be back.Special Features:
- An unpleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant is for tourists. I had a very unpleasant experience here. But the stuffed shrimp entree was very good.Special Features:
- falling shortBrooksVIPDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I ran in here for a bite and ordered the filet w/ Potato pancake and an order of bacon. The filet's were both under cooked and under seasoned, they tasted as though there was not even salt and pepper on them. We were both very disappointed and not worth what they charge, the seating was nice and service was quick but we will not be going back.
- Great Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Great food, good and comfortable table for a party of 10, good athmosphere, it was only a little noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There should be a dress codethelopezVIPDined on 6/20/2014Of all the steak houses, we choose old homestead because it was not supposed to be a gem, an antique relic of New York. And I get it, it attracts the many, but for the life of me, please enforce a dress code. At least no baseball caps, no sandals or shorts so that when my wife and I are enjoying the juicy sirloin and bacon wrapped filet, we enjoy the ambiance, the environment, and the food as a whole experience. That way we don't feel as of we are in some common franchise, but the gem that is Old Homestead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.