Old Hickory Steakhouse
201 Waterfront St.
National Harbor, MD 20745Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Old Hickory Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gaylordnational.com/
- Phone: (301) 965-4000
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Sheppard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Old Hickory at Gaylord National offers the utmost in Private Dining services. Old Hickory can accommodate semi private and private room needs throughout the year. Old Hickory is designed into five dining rooms which invite parties of 10 to 200. From our beautiful Wine Room to our stunning RiverView Room, Old Hickory is the perfect venue for any occasion from Birthdays, Anniversaries, Convention dinners to Board Meetings.
- Private Party Contact: Christine Canonica 3019653728x
A word from Old Hickory Steakhouse
For the finest in sophisticated dining, treat yourself to Old Hickory Steakhouse, where we make dinner truly an unforgettable experience. Overlooking the meandering river in our two-acre atrium, Old Hickory Steakhouse—Gaylord Hotels" signature restaurant—features a stylish and contemporary design, modeled on the interior of an elegant Georgian row house. Indulge in the finest wines as you savor tender, premium Black Angus Beef seared-to-perfection just the way you like it. Old Hickory takes pride in only offering the finest cuts in superior quality, all-natural 1855 beefContinued
Experience a tableside presentation of flavorful cheeses. All presented by our Maitre D' Frommage
Experience a tableside presentation of flavorful cheeses. All presented by our Maitre D' Frommage
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Old Hickory Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in National Harbor ›
Old Hickory Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (88)romantic (64)scenic view (59)notable wine list (33)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good food, less than stellar servicePADinerVIPDined on 11/22/2014We were seated promptly by very curteous hostess. Not offered a wine list, nor were there napkins on the table. Had to request both from waiter, who didn't notice we were missing either and was surprised when we requested. We noticed another table also had to request napkins. It's pretty obvious if these are at the place setting, so couldn't figure out why this kept happening in such a high quality restaurant. Waiter took far too long to come to our table to welcome us and ask if we'd like drinks. Food came at a reasonable pace and was very good. One guest had left the table to use the facilities when the meal arrived, and waiter offered to keep the meal warm in the kitchen until they returned, which was a welcomed gesture. Food is expensive, but it was very good and we enjoyed it very much. We'd go back for a special occasion. One odd thing was we booked our Saturday table on Thursday. There were plenty of options at that time. By Friday, when we had decided we'd like to revise the reservation by 1 hour, there we no tables available on Open Table. Yet, the restaurant was only 1/4 full at best. So not sure why there was no option to update our timeslot. Suppose we could have called to see if there was any flexibility, but trusted the web site to reflect true availability.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014The service is very disappointing, despite the high cost of the meal. After taking a seat at the empty bar, I waited for two bartenders to complete their conversation and then be recognized. I had to wave down a second bartender for the bill because my bartender was engaged in a conversation with a friend that came by to say hello. We were a party of six and seated at a table with seven settings. I pointed this out, only to be told our waiter would handle this. When our waiter arrived, I pointed this out to her, and she dragged the 7th chair to another table, leaving the place setting. We pushed the place setting into the center of the table where it remained for the duration of the meal. Our waiter, although pleasant, was absent. We had to waive down another waiter for water, who filled my glass but ignored the other 5 guests. Throughout the meal, we saw her maybe four times over a 2 1/2 hour period. The matradee and restaurant manager were not be seen. The bill for the six of us was close to $600. We expected the cost but expected service to match the cost; they failed miserably. I would not return to this restaurant nor would I recommend this restaurant. There are far superior restaurants with professional servers in Washington DC just 10 minutes away.
- Look out for disgruntled waiter!Jim2574Dined on 11/17/2014I was at the Gaylord for a convention and took a prospect and business partner to Old Hickory for a business / networking event. I had high hopes based on google reviews. The bartender was excellent while we waited for our table although they were out of half their name brand liquor that we tried to order. When we were seated, the initial interaction went fairly well, but then he disappeared for 45 minutes! The waiter was abrupt when I made a comment about the lack of service and then disappeared again. When he finally came back and I complained this team, he went off about how all the table tonight have rude people! I couldn't believe it. The meal was excellent but to pay that much for lousy service is unacceptable. I wouldn't ever go back.
- Great dinnerKSchmittDined on 11/10/2014The dinner was great! Although I cannot eat any steak, everyone enjoyed their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid venueOtterDined on 11/8/2014Safe win for a date. Pricey, but worth it given the location and convenience at the hotel. Would not come here if I were not already at the hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience!EastCoastVoiceDined on 11/7/2014My spouse and I researched on-line all the fine dining establishments located at the National Harbor. There seemed to be mixed reviews for every restaurant. We ultimately selected Old Hickory Steakhouse hoping for the best but being prepared for a less-than-stellar experience that some diners had described in their reviews. Our experience was absolutely wonderful! The service was attentive and friendly, the view was spectacular (we were given a corner table by the window, as requested in our reservation), and the food was superb. It was the best steak I've ever had. Yes, the food/wine are pricey but that's to be expected at a fine dining establishment. It was also a tad loud at times. But we enjoyed the evening and plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014I went to old hickory steakhouse on 11/5/04 with the first time my boyfriend for my birthday. The food was amazing! Our steaks were delicious & cooked perfectly. Everyone who worked there were very friendly and polite. Our waiter made us feel comfortable. Although it is was expensive, it was worth every penny. Big portions of food and amazing service! I'm so happy that we experienced dinner there. I would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitstaff - priceyapplehazarDined on 11/4/2014This is a hotel restaurant. Would have given a higher score for food but way to salty steak - sky high prices
- ExcellentButtons71Dined on 11/4/2014The food was excellent, the service was excellent but the bill was expensive. We can only dine here on special occasions but it was worth it,Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseFoodieDined on 10/30/2014The food, service and ambiance was great. I met a colleague there for a dinner meeting and upon arrival noticed there was a very large party going on and was concerned about the noise level. However, we were seated at a window away from the party so we were able to enjoy our meal and conduct business. I live in the area but this was my first time visiting this particular restaurant. I'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Surf, Turf,Wine and CheeseTableGDined on 10/27/2014The decor of the steakhouse was traditional. The wait staff was pleasant and efficient. The noise level was hushed tones and quiet. The food was plated properly and prepared to perfection. You cut of meat was savory and delightful on the palate. It was my very first visit to the steakhouse and I have told 3 people already and plan on telling more. Bon Appetit!Special Features:
- Worth every penny you spend!SFGalDined on 10/25/2014The service was incredible!! Our waiter moved us to a window seat when he found out we were celebrating our anniversary. A perfect 31st wedding anniversary evening!! The food the best ever. Their steaks are melt in your mouth perfect. Cooked exactly the way you want. Wine selection amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal, rather priceyJMortVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had dinner at Old Hickory Steak house on October 25 and had a nice meal. Old Hickory had been built up as an outstanding steak house and I have to say it was good but didn't really live up to the hype. We started w a French onion soup and wedge salad - both were good, but equally as good other steakhouses. We both had a filet for our main course. My husband had the bleu cheese topping which was good. I had the Oscar topping and it was very good - a generous portion of Maryland crab but a tiny little piece of asparagus. Overall we enjoyed our meal but have had similar quality meals at other restaurants for much less $$.Special Features:
- Good but not quite worth the moneyInsearchofexcellenceDined on 10/25/2014Very pricey. Food quality excellent - French onion soup outstanding. Steak cooked perfectly. Quiet, romantic environment. Wait staff seemed a bit inexperienced. Timing of the appetizer, entrée, dessert was perfect! Mixed drink was terrible and horribly overpriced. Photo concession in the adjacent room was a distraction with light flashes going off, so I would sit away from that. While the meal and ambiance were terrific, I can find better at this price.Special Features:
- Great steak houserhondaDined on 10/21/2014I really enjoyed this steakhouse although it was quite expensive.It would have been nice to get offered coffee and/or dessert before getting the check,though.Special Features:
- experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014It was such a great experience but I was really disappointed that no one asked what we were there for. It was our one year anniversary and when we got married it was just the two of us and we had to say goodbye to each other three hours later. It was really a special night and I'm a server so it was a little disappointing. Everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee222Dined on 10/11/2014when I arrived the told me my reservation was for tuesday instead of saturday.
- Dinner at Old HickoryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Met for a pre-conference dinner with fellow officers. Food and atmosphere were fine. Service a little slow. Had a very loud table next to us that made conversation difficult.Special Features:
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014To noisy had a table with 10 guys who were loud and obnoxious should have been told to go to the bar area it was ridiculously not worth the money. I will rather go to outback because that's what it sounded like in there.
- Old Hickory at National Harbordonjuan3Dined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent and the service was good. However, the place is much too noisy for a high end restaurant. My wife and I almost had to yell to hear each other. I will not go to this place again because I can spend less money and get the similar steaks and a better atmosphere at several other establishments.0Special Features:
- Ok but ExpensivePopoverKingDined on 10/10/2014Service was good, waiter was nice. The view was partially blocked by a huge white tent that looks like it will be there forever. The chairs were comfortable and tables were spaced apart from one another which was very nice. The food was good, we had the flat iron steaks. The prices are very expensive for what you get. While the restaurant is clearly a steakhouse, there is little of anything else to order. There was one pasta dish, two fish dishes to select from. If you are staying at the Gaylord conference center, it is probably an ok choice, but look around. The signage to get to the conference center and the restaurant is a little confusing, but manageable, just beware to get out of the waterfront area can be very confusing.
- Foodie1Dined on 10/10/2014Loved the ambiance and the decor of this restaurant. I typically do not care for a nautical theme but it was tastefully done. The food was delicious with a variety of choices and not overly priced. They had an excellent wine list and the drinks were terrific. The service was outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Overpriced and overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014+inability to properly cook steaks as requested +house steak sauce is way too sweet; does not complement the steak well at all! +not worth the pricetag
- Even MORE amazing the second time!NorthDakotaCoupleWedAnnivDined on 9/26/2014Because my husband has been stationed out in the DC area for two years, this was the second time we spent our wed anniv here, because after our 1st experience it was an absolute no brainer that we would come back again. We were celebrating our 27th this year and it we had more fun than at our wedding. Our experience was one we will NEVER forget. From Patricio, our magnificent waiter, the talented chef who not only cooked a masterpiece, but visited our table TWICE, right down to the woman who served the cheese plate, and even the man who kept our water glasses full. We had a time that will be with us FOREVER. We never imagined that you could or even would try to top our original experience, but you did. We cannot thank you enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/24/2014Wonderful food and service, with an excellent selection of entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steaks & good viewMarylandFoodieDined on 9/20/2014I enjoyed the view. We asked for a water view and even though there is now a tent in the back blocking a portion of the view, we could still see the sky line and sunset and that was very pretty. I would definitely rate our first visit hands down better than the 2nd visit. This time around we just really had mediocre service. I could have understood the long waits if the room had been very busy, but it wasn't. The dining room was only 1/2 full. Our waitress (Yxxx) couldn't be less friendly. She completely rushed to take our order and left us feeling unwelcomed. My husband requested an expresso when our dinner plates went down and he didn't get it until we requested it after dinner plates went away.Special Features:
- Great overall, but...SteakloverVIPDined on 9/19/2014The interior looks great. There's plenty of space in between tables - unlike other restaurants that try to squeeze in as much diners as possible. The service was extraordinary as well - attentive and alert (e.g., our water was always filled, wine was offered when we ran out, plates were cleared quickly once we were done with the meal). One negative comment I do have is that I was not satisfied with the way they cooked my steak. I ordered medium, but some parts turned out medium rare - it wasn't consistent. I liked their mashed potatoes, but not their roasted mushrooms. Additionally, the lobster bisque was tasty, but served lukewarm. Overall, I would go back and try their steak again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Experience to RememberRoman146Dined on 9/19/2014My wife and I celebrated a 16 yr. wedding anniversary at Old Hickory. We were seated promptly at our reservation time and had a seat with the atrium view which was a nice second choice since the room with the full water view was booked. My wife ordered the Salmon and I had the Cowboy Ribeye. We had garlic mash and sautéed spinach as our sides. My wife and I both agreed as we continued to talk this meal 3 days later that it was possibly the best tasting experience that we have had at any restaurant. We are still randomly announcing to each other how good the meal was that we enjoyed at Old Hickory. Of course taste like this comes at a price but we both felt like it was worth it. Complimentary Chocolate cake for our occasion was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining PleasureMangoDined on 9/19/2014Our evening was very pleasant and the food was very good. Our waiter did a great job at being attentive without being bothersome. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDaddyDDined on 9/18/2014We shared the tomahawk steak and it was awesome! Watched the sunset from our table. Service and overall experience was spectacular. Highly recommend for special occasion and/or romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionsLindaLouDined on 9/17/2014We went here for my husband's birthday dinner. While the restaurant is a little expensive, it is worth it for the quality of the food and the excellence service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasiongood2beoutDined on 9/17/2014I took my husband for his birthday this past Wednesday. This was our first time, we have tried numerous times on the weekend but they have always been booked. We were very pleased with our meals. The bread was not very good, it would have been nice if the bread was warm, that might have helped. But in any event our entrees were very good. My husband had the lamb chops and I had the small filet. Aside from the bread my only other complaint is there is a $5 charge for sauces, the bernaise and even their house steak sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014it was great. the food and Patricio was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Beautiful establishmentDktran31VIPDined on 9/14/2014I felt like I was eating at the White House! This place is lovely and uber classy. One of the classiest places I've ever been to. It's large, and has a great view (if you are in the furthest room in the back) of the city. To match the ambiance, the service was excellent. This place has great food and the noise level is very quiet compared to other places. My date and I had the mussels (appetizer), cowboy ribeye, NY strip, asparagus (side) and coffee ice cream. The mussels were very small but tasty, guess they are out of season? Both of our steaks were beautiful and prepared perfectly. The asparagus and ice cream were just as expected - nothing unique there. This is a very good location for special events.Special Features:
- Great Steak, Great ViewenjoyerofcheeseDined on 9/13/2014Really enjoyed our experience. Excellent service and accomodations for our bachelor party. All 5 of us had excellent meals. Wedge Salad and Porterhouses were a big hit. My porterhouse was a little too salty, but cooked to a perfect medium rare and, wonderful quality. Service was attentive. Water guy was a little sloppy. I noticed each time he refilled our glasses he pulled a way to quickly splashing some water on the table or whatever was close by. He just needed to slow down a bit. But our waiter was great and made for an fantastic overall experience.Special Features:
- Old Hickory reviewloveagetawayDined on 9/12/2014Very nice decor and ambience. High prices for average food. Convenient if you are staying at the Gaylord. No problems with reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Good ExperiencedadelonDined on 9/6/2014We went to the Old Hickory Steakhouse for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. I thought the service was outstanding. Reuben, our waiter, really made the meal special. The cheese appetizers were memorable. It's always nice when they bring out a cart of various foods, describe them, and then allow you to pick. We picked three--a sheep cheese, cow cheese, and goat cheese, and they were all excellent. The view was also very good. We sat at a window overlooking the waterfront, and watched a storm roll in from the west--an awesome experience in itself. Finally, the Old-Fashioned they made for me reminded me of how my dad made an Old-Fashioned--a lost art! I truly recommend Old Hickory Steakhouse for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisy & priceyJRmcDined on 9/5/2014The food was good, but pricey, as it is all a la carte. The front room had a lovely view, but was so noisy that my husband and I rearranged the chairs to be able to hear each other. The service didn't match the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks?NJFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Really, this was not a place we'll ever go again. The wine list was terrible; prices showed, but not the year. The special steak was nice, but not outstanding; got cold after a while. My wife had the smallest file and it was just too much food for her; kind of looked lonely in that extremely large plate they brought it in. Ok, so the plate had the name of the hotel; but it was still too large. All in all, not the experience we were looking for.
- Old Hickory Overrated Overpricedtourist301Dined on 8/30/2014We went knowing this was an expensive steak restaurant. The food quality was less than a Ruth Chris or Mortons with higher prices. From the Cowboy Ribeye I had to cut about 1/3 out as fat. Steak sauce was an extra $5. Service was inattentive and perhaps inexperienced. The french fries were ordinary. The martinis were watery and tasteless.Special Features: