Old Hickory Steakhouse
201 Waterfront St.
National Harbor, MD 20745Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Old Hickory Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gaylordnational.com/
- Phone: 3019654000x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon -Sat: 5:30pm - 9:30
Sunday 5:30 to 9:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Sheppard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Old Hickory at Gaylord National offers the utmost in Private Dining services. Old Hickory can accommodate semi private and private room needs throughout the year. Old Hickory is designed into five dining rooms which invite parties of 10 to 200. From our beautiful Wine Room to our stunning RiverView Room, Old Hickory is the perfect venue for any occasion from Birthdays, Anniversaries, Convention dinners to Board Meetings.
- Private Party Contact: Christine Canonica 3019653728x
A word from Old Hickory Steakhouse
For the finest in sophisticated dining, treat yourself to Old Hickory Steakhouse, where we make dinner truly an unforgettable experience. Overlooking the meandering river in our two-acre atrium, Old Hickory Steakhouse—Gaylord Hotels" signature restaurant—features a stylish and contemporary design, modeled on the interior of an elegant Georgian row house. Indulge in the finest wines as you savor tender, premium Black Angus Beef seared-to-perfection just the way you like it. Old Hickory takes pride in only offering the finest cuts in superior quality, all-natural 1855 beefContinued
Experience a tableside presentation of flavorful cheeses. All presented by our Maitre D' Frommage
Experience a tableside presentation of flavorful cheeses. All presented by our Maitre D' Frommage
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Old Hickory Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in National Harbor ›
Old Hickory Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (88)scenic view (75)romantic (64)notable wine list (34)good for groups (30)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Special occasiongood2beoutDined on 9/17/2014I took my husband for his birthday this past Wednesday. This was our first time, we have tried numerous times on the weekend but they have always been booked. We were very pleased with our meals. The bread was not very good, it would have been nice if the bread was warm, that might have helped. But in any event our entrees were very good. My husband had the lamb chops and I had the small filet. Aside from the bread my only other complaint is there is a $5 charge for sauces, the bernaise and even their house steak sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014it was great. the food and Patricio was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Beautiful establishmentDktran31VIPDined on 9/14/2014I felt like I was eating at the White House! This place is lovely and uber classy. One of the classiest places I've ever been to. It's large, and has a great view (if you are in the furthest room in the back) of the city. To match the ambiance, the service was excellent. This place has great food and the noise level is very quiet compared to other places. My date and I had the mussels (appetizer), cowboy ribeye, NY strip, asparagus (side) and coffee ice cream. The mussels were very small but tasty, guess they are out of season? Both of our steaks were beautiful and prepared perfectly. The asparagus and ice cream were just as expected - nothing unique there. This is a very good location for special events.Special Features:
- Great Steak, Great ViewenjoyerofcheeseDined on 9/13/2014Really enjoyed our experience. Excellent service and accomodations for our bachelor party. All 5 of us had excellent meals. Wedge Salad and Porterhouses were a big hit. My porterhouse was a little too salty, but cooked to a perfect medium rare and, wonderful quality. Service was attentive. Water guy was a little sloppy. I noticed each time he refilled our glasses he pulled a way to quickly splashing some water on the table or whatever was close by. He just needed to slow down a bit. But our waiter was great and made for an fantastic overall experience.Special Features:
- Old Hickory reviewloveagetawayDined on 9/12/2014Very nice decor and ambience. High prices for average food. Convenient if you are staying at the Gaylord. No problems with reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Good ExperiencedadelonDined on 9/6/2014We went to the Old Hickory Steakhouse for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. I thought the service was outstanding. Reuben, our waiter, really made the meal special. The cheese appetizers were memorable. It's always nice when they bring out a cart of various foods, describe them, and then allow you to pick. We picked three--a sheep cheese, cow cheese, and goat cheese, and they were all excellent. The view was also very good. We sat at a window overlooking the waterfront, and watched a storm roll in from the west--an awesome experience in itself. Finally, the Old-Fashioned they made for me reminded me of how my dad made an Old-Fashioned--a lost art! I truly recommend Old Hickory Steakhouse for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisy & priceyJRmcDined on 9/5/2014The food was good, but pricey, as it is all a la carte. The front room had a lovely view, but was so noisy that my husband and I rearranged the chairs to be able to hear each other. The service didn't match the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks?NJFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Really, this was not a place we'll ever go again. The wine list was terrible; prices showed, but not the year. The special steak was nice, but not outstanding; got cold after a while. My wife had the smallest file and it was just too much food for her; kind of looked lonely in that extremely large plate they brought it in. Ok, so the plate had the name of the hotel; but it was still too large. All in all, not the experience we were looking for.
- Old Hickory Overrated Overpricedtourist301Dined on 8/30/2014We went knowing this was an expensive steak restaurant. The food quality was less than a Ruth Chris or Mortons with higher prices. From the Cowboy Ribeye I had to cut about 1/3 out as fat. Steak sauce was an extra $5. Service was inattentive and perhaps inexperienced. The french fries were ordinary. The martinis were watery and tasteless.Special Features:
- Steak for twoJbo4brentDined on 8/29/2014Seated the minute we walked in--had a reservation and since it was early, the restaurant was not crowded. The server was quite cordial and pointed out several items on the menu and their new cheese cart. We asked to split the 20oz Ribeye and Marc did this with style right at the table. Food was perfect and ambience just right for our date night. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth ItRandyVIPDined on 8/26/2014My worst "high end restaurant" experience ever! Almost every dish was not prepared well. Filet Mignon dry and overcooked / poor quality meat. Terrible timing on delivery of everything. Staff was "tone-deaf" as well--not commenting on 90% of our food not eaten. Capped off by a cup of coffee full of grounds.
- Great PlaceBelloDined on 8/24/2014Great place to celebrate a special occasion. Fantastic views, great service and perfect Steaks!Special Features:
- Long way to go on serviceDogfellaDined on 8/23/2014The server clearly had no idea what he was doing and certainly not up to the standard of any high end steak house. Beautiful space and view though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014All three steaks ordered by our party were outstanding and done to perfection as per each persons request. Lamb chops were tender, succulent and absolutely delicious..no mint jelly needed to calm gaminess in these lamb chops!!! Fromage (cheese) sommelier was also a great experience. We tried four different cheeses - they were plated beautifully, with tasty tidbits added to enhance flavors. Wines - we are pinot noir fans - were outstanding and the waiter had great suggestions. The mark - ups on the wine were reasonable for a restaurant of this caliber. Great wine list with many options. We had a table overlooking national harbor and it was beautiful. We will return!!!Special Features:
- Distinguished RestaurantDonaldDined on 8/18/2014Very classy restaurant, with excellent food, exceptional service and a great panoramic view of the Potomac River.Special Features:
- Another memorable evening!FoodandWineLoverDined on 8/16/2014We've dined here several times in small intimate groups and as a large, happy group. Each visit has enjoyed superlative service and very good meals. We've never been disappointed. The steaks are excellent and so is the salmon! The cheese selection before dinner is something I look forward to every time we come. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattiLuvgoodeatsDined on 8/16/2014Beautiful setting, outstanding service, and the view of the sunset, the river, bridge and of course, The Wheel, was just fabulous. Oh, and the food is expensive, but delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Although the food was good, it was very salty and we noticed a lot of butter was used. My biggest complain would be the prices, I don't think they matched the quality of the food.Special Features:
- great evening...ksviaflDined on 8/12/2014A wonderful dining experience. The food and service was fantastic. It was our one year anniversary and we couldn't have asked for a nicer evening. The service was fantastic and the food was really superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerACookDined on 8/10/2014The dinner was fabulous. We started with the seafood appetizer which was very unique. We enjoyed the wedge salad and the Rib Eye Steak was cooked to perfection! We sampled three desserts ~ all delicious. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATTashaDined on 8/10/2014My steak was perfect, the view was amazing and the service was wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Dinner after Cirque Du SoleilStephenDined on 8/9/2014Reserved for a party of three after the afternoon matinee of Cirque Du Soleil and was impressed by the ambience, service and the outstanding food we were treated to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceEt183394Dined on 8/8/2014First off food was very good. Had the mussels for an appetizer, one salmon dish and two filets. Steaks very good, crab cakes excellent, salmon salad also very good. Second trip here and we come back for the steaks. A little disappointed there was no preference on seating given we noted this was an anniversary dinner on the reservation. Did not have one of the primary wines, might be nice to note that when you sit down. Got it they can't account for the total list, but could cover their staples. Service started off slow, but finished fine. Not impressed with the dessert options. Pricey, but the steaks are worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal was disappointingMikeDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant is very nice and the service was great, but we were disappointed in the food. I tried the Wagyu Steak, and when it costs $60 you don't expect it to be chewy. The seasoning was good but it had the consistency of a leftover steak that had been microwaved. The rest of the meal was just ok, but not worth the price. We won't be going back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2014Great food. Loved the cheese plate and the filet. Probably the best lobster we've ever had.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceclassydinerDined on 8/5/2014As always, the service and food are excellent. This is one of the few restaurants that the food taste just like how the presentation of food. Excellent, tasty and properly portioned. Booking through on OpenTable made making a reservation for the special occasion so easy.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceHickoryDined on 8/2/2014When I made the reservation, I typed in that it was my anniversary. Never sure if they read the notes. The staff at Old Hickory not only took the time to read that it was a special occasion dinner, the passed the word from receptionist to wait staff. We were treated very well and the food was outstanding. A memorable anniversary dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent!elcuc0Dined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious, the steak and crab meat topping were delicious and we loved the cheese assortment. You can't go wrong with this place. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryDined on 8/2/2014I suppose if you are going there for the steak and have a lot of money, than it is probably good. But the steaks were not certified organic so I opted for fish as well as my mother who is not big on steaks. It was somewhat less expensive for the fish, but the small portion which does not include a side dish (that is extra) and the not so tasty fish itself, it was not worth the over $100 spent for two people. But again, if you like steaks and are okay with non organic steak, and have a lot of money, I suppose it can be good. On a side note, the service was up to par of any standard restaurant and the ambience was nice.
- Nice but doesn't equal it's pricingjfk11Dined on 8/2/2014We thought the service and view were wonderful. Upon arrival the restaurant was totally unprepared for it's opening. The seating hostesses were in slow motion and late to open. The food was tasty and the filet was well prepared although over spiced. But for the prices charged, I would have expected the experience to have been more remarkable. My lobster bisque at $18 should have been more extraordinary and it wasn't. The filet was almost $40 and was only 8 oz. The plate arrived with absolutely nothing else on it. For that price again it should have been more remarkable. The sides (priced separately) were skimpy in portion size. I do not ever mind paying a good bit for a dinner but if I do, I expect it to be worth the premium.Special Features:
- Hit and miss...kurtandviv1Dined on 8/1/2014We had such an outstanding meal on Friday we decided to return on Saturday. The lamb chops were amazing! Friday was a party of 8 and things could not have gone better. Saturday we were only 4. It was disappointing that the chicken for one person oozed blood; the salmon for another was totally raw except for searing. We were given a slight discount. But the cooking time on the re-dos after the lengthy wait for the meal in the first place and the amount of discount would make me reluctant to return. And both nights, the wine we wanted was not available. The first night we got a slightly more expensive wine for the price of the one we tried to order. Saturday the wine price ($91) was only adjusted by $30+ but none for the undercooked food. :(Special Features:
- We'll be back!5yearfoodiesDined on 8/1/2014What a romantic way to spend our 5th wedding anniversary! Although this restaurant is very expensive, it is worth every penny. We were able to sit by the window with the most beautiful harbor views. The food was unbelievable- my husband said it was the best steak he has ever eaten in his life! I had a delicious salad that really was worth every penny! One thing- please do not order the french fries! They are $8.00 and they were terrible. It was silly on our part to order them but we wanted to enjoy some carbs on our vacation! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for any occasion!Moni2dcDined on 7/30/2014The ambience was phenomenal and the food was fabulous! A must do while in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday experience!birthdayladyDined on 7/26/2014The food, ambiance, and service were all superb. I can assure you that I shall make a return visit.Special Features:
- First DateFullDined on 7/19/2014This place was absolutely amazing! Our server Andrew was fantastic, the table we had with a water view, was awesome. Then to top it off fireworks right before our eyes! This was our first date and we said right then,this will be our place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service!!!SusieDined on 7/17/2014The most horrible experience!!! Mark from Alexandria took care of our table of 8- they charged us for 3 chocolate desserts which we had not ordered- we assumed it was a gesture because it was my daughters birthday. Then he brought out a second chocolate slice for another friend! When we asked about it his reply was " are we really doing this". We were dining with a CEO of a over 200million corporation and we host many many events and dinners some at this very place but not coming back after that experience. They over charged for the fish and the cigars were very dry!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent!BethinscDined on 7/13/2014Great Filet with lump crabmeat! Loved the cheese wagon! Thanks, Happy, for the great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at a Reasonable PriveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014Outstanding menu selection and food. Our steak meals were delicious and prepared just the way we liked it--which does not often happen even in high-end restaurant. Our server was extremely helpful in terms of entree and wine selection. Nice ambiance and excellent view.Special Features:
- Decent dinnerNebdvmDined on 7/8/2014Not as good as the first time we ate there. My steak was ok. My husbands lamb chops were veery good.Special Features:
- Good but overpricedChar1672Dined on 7/5/2014I love the ambiance and service. However, the price doesn't match the flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed the crab cake and risotto however the steak (ribeye) was fatty more than normal and not flavorful. Overall, okay, but not work the money.Special Features: