Old Hickory Steakhouse
201 Waterfront St.
National Harbor, MD 20745Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Old Hickory Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gaylordnational.com/
- Phone: 3019654000x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon -Sat: 5:30pm - 9:30
Sunday 5:30 to 9:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Sheppard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Old Hickory at Gaylord National offers the utmost in Private Dining services. Old Hickory can accommodate semi private and private room needs throughout the year. Old Hickory is designed into five dining rooms which invite parties of 10 to 200. From our beautiful Wine Room to our stunning RiverView Room, Old Hickory is the perfect venue for any occasion from Birthdays, Anniversaries, Convention dinners to Board Meetings.
- Private Party Contact: Christine Canonica 3019653728x
A word from Old Hickory Steakhouse
For the finest in sophisticated dining, treat yourself to Old Hickory Steakhouse, where we make dinner truly an unforgettable experience. Overlooking the meandering river in our two-acre atrium, Old Hickory Steakhouse—Gaylord Hotels" signature restaurant—features a stylish and contemporary design, modeled on the interior of an elegant Georgian row house. Indulge in the finest wines as you savor tender, premium Black Angus Beef seared-to-perfection just the way you like it. Old Hickory takes pride in only offering the finest cuts in superior quality, all-natural 1855 beefContinued
Experience a tableside presentation of flavorful cheeses. All presented by our Maitre D' Frommage
Experience a tableside presentation of flavorful cheeses. All presented by our Maitre D' Frommage
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Old Hickory Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in National Harbor ›
Old Hickory Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (85)scenic view (65)romantic (60)notable wine list (31)good for groups (25)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great steak houserhondaDined on 10/21/2014I really enjoyed this steakhouse although it was quite expensive.It would have been nice to get offered coffee and/or dessert before getting the check,though.Special Features:
- experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014It was such a great experience but I was really disappointed that no one asked what we were there for. It was our one year anniversary and when we got married it was just the two of us and we had to say goodbye to each other three hours later. It was really a special night and I'm a server so it was a little disappointing. Everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee222Dined on 10/11/2014when I arrived the told me my reservation was for tuesday instead of saturday.
- Dinner at Old HickoryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Met for a pre-conference dinner with fellow officers. Food and atmosphere were fine. Service a little slow. Had a very loud table next to us that made conversation difficult.Special Features:
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014To noisy had a table with 10 guys who were loud and obnoxious should have been told to go to the bar area it was ridiculously not worth the money. I will rather go to outback because that's what it sounded like in there.
- Old Hickory at National Harbordonjuan3Dined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent and the service was good. However, the place is much too noisy for a high end restaurant. My wife and I almost had to yell to hear each other. I will not go to this place again because I can spend less money and get the similar steaks and a better atmosphere at several other establishments.0Special Features:
- Ok but ExpensivePopoverKingDined on 10/10/2014Service was good, waiter was nice. The view was partially blocked by a huge white tent that looks like it will be there forever. The chairs were comfortable and tables were spaced apart from one another which was very nice. The food was good, we had the flat iron steaks. The prices are very expensive for what you get. While the restaurant is clearly a steakhouse, there is little of anything else to order. There was one pasta dish, two fish dishes to select from. If you are staying at the Gaylord conference center, it is probably an ok choice, but look around. The signage to get to the conference center and the restaurant is a little confusing, but manageable, just beware to get out of the waterfront area can be very confusing.
- Foodie1Dined on 10/10/2014Loved the ambiance and the decor of this restaurant. I typically do not care for a nautical theme but it was tastefully done. The food was delicious with a variety of choices and not overly priced. They had an excellent wine list and the drinks were terrific. The service was outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Overpriced and overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014+inability to properly cook steaks as requested +house steak sauce is way too sweet; does not complement the steak well at all! +not worth the pricetag
- Even MORE amazing the second time!NorthDakotaCoupleWedAnnivDined on 9/26/2014Because my husband has been stationed out in the DC area for two years, this was the second time we spent our wed anniv here, because after our 1st experience it was an absolute no brainer that we would come back again. We were celebrating our 27th this year and it we had more fun than at our wedding. Our experience was one we will NEVER forget. From Patricio, our magnificent waiter, the talented chef who not only cooked a masterpiece, but visited our table TWICE, right down to the woman who served the cheese plate, and even the man who kept our water glasses full. We had a time that will be with us FOREVER. We never imagined that you could or even would try to top our original experience, but you did. We cannot thank you enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/24/2014Wonderful food and service, with an excellent selection of entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steaks & good viewMarylandFoodieDined on 9/20/2014I enjoyed the view. We asked for a water view and even though there is now a tent in the back blocking a portion of the view, we could still see the sky line and sunset and that was very pretty. I would definitely rate our first visit hands down better than the 2nd visit. This time around we just really had mediocre service. I could have understood the long waits if the room had been very busy, but it wasn't. The dining room was only 1/2 full. Our waitress (Yxxx) couldn't be less friendly. She completely rushed to take our order and left us feeling unwelcomed. My husband requested an expresso when our dinner plates went down and he didn't get it until we requested it after dinner plates went away.Special Features:
- Great overall, but...SteakloverVIPDined on 9/19/2014The interior looks great. There's plenty of space in between tables - unlike other restaurants that try to squeeze in as much diners as possible. The service was extraordinary as well - attentive and alert (e.g., our water was always filled, wine was offered when we ran out, plates were cleared quickly once we were done with the meal). One negative comment I do have is that I was not satisfied with the way they cooked my steak. I ordered medium, but some parts turned out medium rare - it wasn't consistent. I liked their mashed potatoes, but not their roasted mushrooms. Additionally, the lobster bisque was tasty, but served lukewarm. Overall, I would go back and try their steak again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Experience to RememberRoman146Dined on 9/19/2014My wife and I celebrated a 16 yr. wedding anniversary at Old Hickory. We were seated promptly at our reservation time and had a seat with the atrium view which was a nice second choice since the room with the full water view was booked. My wife ordered the Salmon and I had the Cowboy Ribeye. We had garlic mash and sautéed spinach as our sides. My wife and I both agreed as we continued to talk this meal 3 days later that it was possibly the best tasting experience that we have had at any restaurant. We are still randomly announcing to each other how good the meal was that we enjoyed at Old Hickory. Of course taste like this comes at a price but we both felt like it was worth it. Complimentary Chocolate cake for our occasion was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining PleasureMangoDined on 9/19/2014Our evening was very pleasant and the food was very good. Our waiter did a great job at being attentive without being bothersome. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDaddyDDined on 9/18/2014We shared the tomahawk steak and it was awesome! Watched the sunset from our table. Service and overall experience was spectacular. Highly recommend for special occasion and/or romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasiongood2beoutDined on 9/17/2014I took my husband for his birthday this past Wednesday. This was our first time, we have tried numerous times on the weekend but they have always been booked. We were very pleased with our meals. The bread was not very good, it would have been nice if the bread was warm, that might have helped. But in any event our entrees were very good. My husband had the lamb chops and I had the small filet. Aside from the bread my only other complaint is there is a $5 charge for sauces, the bernaise and even their house steak sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014it was great. the food and Patricio was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Beautiful establishmentDktran31VIPDined on 9/14/2014I felt like I was eating at the White House! This place is lovely and uber classy. One of the classiest places I've ever been to. It's large, and has a great view (if you are in the furthest room in the back) of the city. To match the ambiance, the service was excellent. This place has great food and the noise level is very quiet compared to other places. My date and I had the mussels (appetizer), cowboy ribeye, NY strip, asparagus (side) and coffee ice cream. The mussels were very small but tasty, guess they are out of season? Both of our steaks were beautiful and prepared perfectly. The asparagus and ice cream were just as expected - nothing unique there. This is a very good location for special events.Special Features:
- Great Steak, Great ViewenjoyerofcheeseDined on 9/13/2014Really enjoyed our experience. Excellent service and accomodations for our bachelor party. All 5 of us had excellent meals. Wedge Salad and Porterhouses were a big hit. My porterhouse was a little too salty, but cooked to a perfect medium rare and, wonderful quality. Service was attentive. Water guy was a little sloppy. I noticed each time he refilled our glasses he pulled a way to quickly splashing some water on the table or whatever was close by. He just needed to slow down a bit. But our waiter was great and made for an fantastic overall experience.Special Features:
- Old Hickory reviewloveagetawayDined on 9/12/2014Very nice decor and ambience. High prices for average food. Convenient if you are staying at the Gaylord. No problems with reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Good ExperiencedadelonDined on 9/6/2014We went to the Old Hickory Steakhouse for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. I thought the service was outstanding. Reuben, our waiter, really made the meal special. The cheese appetizers were memorable. It's always nice when they bring out a cart of various foods, describe them, and then allow you to pick. We picked three--a sheep cheese, cow cheese, and goat cheese, and they were all excellent. The view was also very good. We sat at a window overlooking the waterfront, and watched a storm roll in from the west--an awesome experience in itself. Finally, the Old-Fashioned they made for me reminded me of how my dad made an Old-Fashioned--a lost art! I truly recommend Old Hickory Steakhouse for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisy & priceyJRmcDined on 9/5/2014The food was good, but pricey, as it is all a la carte. The front room had a lovely view, but was so noisy that my husband and I rearranged the chairs to be able to hear each other. The service didn't match the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks?NJFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Really, this was not a place we'll ever go again. The wine list was terrible; prices showed, but not the year. The special steak was nice, but not outstanding; got cold after a while. My wife had the smallest file and it was just too much food for her; kind of looked lonely in that extremely large plate they brought it in. Ok, so the plate had the name of the hotel; but it was still too large. All in all, not the experience we were looking for.
- Old Hickory Overrated Overpricedtourist301Dined on 8/30/2014We went knowing this was an expensive steak restaurant. The food quality was less than a Ruth Chris or Mortons with higher prices. From the Cowboy Ribeye I had to cut about 1/3 out as fat. Steak sauce was an extra $5. Service was inattentive and perhaps inexperienced. The french fries were ordinary. The martinis were watery and tasteless.Special Features:
- Steak for twoJbo4brentDined on 8/29/2014Seated the minute we walked in--had a reservation and since it was early, the restaurant was not crowded. The server was quite cordial and pointed out several items on the menu and their new cheese cart. We asked to split the 20oz Ribeye and Marc did this with style right at the table. Food was perfect and ambience just right for our date night. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth ItRandyVIPDined on 8/26/2014My worst "high end restaurant" experience ever! Almost every dish was not prepared well. Filet Mignon dry and overcooked / poor quality meat. Terrible timing on delivery of everything. Staff was "tone-deaf" as well--not commenting on 90% of our food not eaten. Capped off by a cup of coffee full of grounds.
- Great PlaceBelloDined on 8/24/2014Great place to celebrate a special occasion. Fantastic views, great service and perfect Steaks!Special Features:
- Long way to go on serviceDogfellaDined on 8/23/2014The server clearly had no idea what he was doing and certainly not up to the standard of any high end steak house. Beautiful space and view though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014All three steaks ordered by our party were outstanding and done to perfection as per each persons request. Lamb chops were tender, succulent and absolutely delicious..no mint jelly needed to calm gaminess in these lamb chops!!! Fromage (cheese) sommelier was also a great experience. We tried four different cheeses - they were plated beautifully, with tasty tidbits added to enhance flavors. Wines - we are pinot noir fans - were outstanding and the waiter had great suggestions. The mark - ups on the wine were reasonable for a restaurant of this caliber. Great wine list with many options. We had a table overlooking national harbor and it was beautiful. We will return!!!Special Features:
- Distinguished RestaurantDonaldDined on 8/18/2014Very classy restaurant, with excellent food, exceptional service and a great panoramic view of the Potomac River.Special Features:
- Another memorable evening!FoodandWineLoverDined on 8/16/2014We've dined here several times in small intimate groups and as a large, happy group. Each visit has enjoyed superlative service and very good meals. We've never been disappointed. The steaks are excellent and so is the salmon! The cheese selection before dinner is something I look forward to every time we come. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattiLuvgoodeatsDined on 8/16/2014Beautiful setting, outstanding service, and the view of the sunset, the river, bridge and of course, The Wheel, was just fabulous. Oh, and the food is expensive, but delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Although the food was good, it was very salty and we noticed a lot of butter was used. My biggest complain would be the prices, I don't think they matched the quality of the food.Special Features:
- great evening...ksviaflDined on 8/12/2014A wonderful dining experience. The food and service was fantastic. It was our one year anniversary and we couldn't have asked for a nicer evening. The service was fantastic and the food was really superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerACookDined on 8/10/2014The dinner was fabulous. We started with the seafood appetizer which was very unique. We enjoyed the wedge salad and the Rib Eye Steak was cooked to perfection! We sampled three desserts ~ all delicious. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATTashaDined on 8/10/2014My steak was perfect, the view was amazing and the service was wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Dinner after Cirque Du SoleilStephenDined on 8/9/2014Reserved for a party of three after the afternoon matinee of Cirque Du Soleil and was impressed by the ambience, service and the outstanding food we were treated to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceEt183394Dined on 8/8/2014First off food was very good. Had the mussels for an appetizer, one salmon dish and two filets. Steaks very good, crab cakes excellent, salmon salad also very good. Second trip here and we come back for the steaks. A little disappointed there was no preference on seating given we noted this was an anniversary dinner on the reservation. Did not have one of the primary wines, might be nice to note that when you sit down. Got it they can't account for the total list, but could cover their staples. Service started off slow, but finished fine. Not impressed with the dessert options. Pricey, but the steaks are worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal was disappointingMikeDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant is very nice and the service was great, but we were disappointed in the food. I tried the Wagyu Steak, and when it costs $60 you don't expect it to be chewy. The seasoning was good but it had the consistency of a leftover steak that had been microwaved. The rest of the meal was just ok, but not worth the price. We won't be going back.