Old Fisherman's Grotto
39 Fisherman's Wharf
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Old Fisherman's Grotto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldfishermansgrotto.com/
- Phone: (831) 375-4604
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 10:30am - 10:30pm
No high chairs - No strollers - No booster chairs
Children crying or making loud noises are a distraction to other diners and as such not permitted in the dining room.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Juan Ponce
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Old Fisherman's Grotto
Located on historic Fisherman's Wharf with stunning views of the Monterey Harbor, Old Fisherman’s Grotto is a "must visit" restaurant. The “Grotto” has rightfully earned its worldwide reputation for only the finest cuisine in a superb atmosphere and service. Featuring fresh seafood from sustainable sources including Macadamia Crusted Halibut, Hawaiian Swordfish, Ultimate Seafood Pasta, live Crab and Lobster, the Grotto also offers a variety of the finest “Certified Angus Beef”. Start with our award-winning clam chowder and finish by indulging in one of our fresh house-made desserts. Enjoy a bottle of wine from our 2014 Wine Spectator Award Wine list with over 200 selections specializing in local vineyards. AAA 3 Diamond Rating, Monterey Peninsula Chamber "Business Excellence" Award Winner. 2010 1st Place "West Coast Chowder Competition", 2004-2014 Winner "Best Chowder" & 2013-2014 Winner "Best Calamari" in the Monterey County's Weekly Magazine "People's Choice Award"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Old Fisherman's Grotto - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Old Fisherman's Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (25)romantic (18)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Best restaurant on Monterey PeninsulaWineauDined on 11/17/2014The setting, atmosphere, service, view & food are as good as it gets. And we love the fact they don't cater to babies & children which optimizes the adult experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't miss this!Runner10VIPDined on 11/16/2014Once again, fisherman's grotto lived up to its reputation. The special on wine was fantastic and the food was super. You can't beat it on fisherman wharf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on the waterSteve88Dined on 11/3/2014This cozy darkly lit spot is very intimate. Although sounds of music and conversations abound, you still feel you and your dinner partner are alone. Service people are very discreet, do there job and disappear.The plush banquettes and paneled walls give the feeling of a private club. The food is done to a turn and presented in a eye popping ( wow!, that's a lot of food!) reaction. This is a warm, friendly and traditional place that has many old time values.Special Features:
- Romantic dinner on the WharfOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014We had another amazing, romantic dinner on the Wharf! Attentive and knowledgable service. Delicious artichoke appetizer! They really know how to cook fish! Don't skip the clam chowder or the cheesecake! Get a hotel close to the wharf and walk there....you'll need a walk after dinner. We recommend the Monterey Bay Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darrell PMBigDDined on 11/3/2014We were pleasantly surprise by their knowledge that it was our anniversary. We were given a great app. and then after a great dinner they gave up a special desert. It will be on are list to go to any time we are in the Monterey area.Special Features:
- Great food...adversarial ambiance.SchrofriDined on 10/30/2014I had heard about it but did not remember that this is the place with the nasty anti children msg. I don't have kids so I find it annoying but not care for me personally. I took a business partner because I like the place a lot (no kids with us) but she was more shocked by the sign that I have ever been, and "as a mother" quite insulted. I guess there is a cautionary tale here; I would not recommend this place for clients or friends who may be insulted by the ideological militantism of the restsurant against small children.Special Features:
- xxxxVIPDined on 10/23/2014Paella was good, but all the shellfish in it overcooked--fish goodSpecial Features:
- Absolutely the Best!WineauDined on 10/23/2014The food, view & service at Grotto are always outstanding. They do sand dabs better than any other restaurant, served over a delicious carmelized onion risotto & fresh veges. It's cool they serve French bread & butter instead of the tiresome sourdough & dipping oil found everywhere else. And the policy of no babies/small children is a delight for those of us adults who like to truly enjoy a good meal in peace!Special Features:
- Tourist HeavenBabymooningDined on 10/16/2014Don't be fooled by the pictures or the fact that you may need to make a reservation. Fisherman Grotto is comparable to something you would find near the Hard Rock Cafe in San Francsico's Fisherman's Wharf. If you are looking for expensive, mediocre food and a tourist atmosphere this is the place to go. Locals and people who visit Monterey frequently do not eat at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Fisherman's GrottoThosewhowanderarenotlostVIPDined on 10/12/2014I love that they do not allow children. It's in a busy area of Fisherman's Wharf and after being out in crowds of people with strollers, and screaming kids it was wonderful to sit down to a nice quiet meal, with soft music playing in the background, and have a great meal. The server and service was excellent.Special Features:
- anniversaryakinDined on 10/1/2014My wife and I went there for our anniversary and had a really nice experience. The staff was more than friendly and the ambiance was lovely. They even offered us an appetizer and a dessert on the house. And they gave my wife a red rose to celebrate our anniversary. The prices were quite affordable as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Fisherman's Wharf dinngtejoVIPDined on 9/24/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Old Fisherman's Grotto. Good choices, well prepared, excellent service. Overall a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- KB11Dined on 9/19/2014Amazing food. Friendly staff. Superb service. That's all you need to know. Just go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like a VIPJugularVIPDined on 9/10/2014The whole staff at this restaurant treated our group like we were VIPs. We really enjoyed our meals and had a very nice bottle of wine because our very nice waiter Marco let us know that wines were 20% off that night. Great suggestion!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!clamsfanDined on 8/19/2014After eating at a few other restaurants at Fishermans Wharf, we are going back to this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MR, nd Mrs.mugz414Dined on 8/19/2014Celebrating our 63rd anniversary. Had a wonderful meal, soup,dessert and wine. Our waitress was exceptional. Looking forward to coming back in a few months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Late Nite DinnerrbsbDined on 8/13/2014We had dinner reservations at 9 PM and were promptly seated. The service was attentive. The food was excellent. The views of the waterfront were beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow. what happened?IMHUNGRYDined on 8/11/2014Used to love the chowder. Was a lukewarm, gloppy mess. Caesar with virtuaaly novdressing & scallops that would've bounced two feet had they been dropped. Solid rubber. Our server gave us excuses "chowder is best enjoyed just warmed, not hot"; a caesar shouldn't have much dressing"; "the sign of a good scallop is one with a good chew..." HAH!! Are you kidding me? I used to LOVE your food. I want good food, not excuses. $74 for that?
- elegantDined on 7/29/2014The food and service excellent. Would recommend this restaurant!! Get a window seat if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 482 reviews are from the Old Fisherman's Grotto reviews archive.
- Misty WonderfulMistyDined on 7/21/2014Our special Anniversary Lunch was just wonderful. Service was great from the start. Our waiter was cordial at every encounter. We were not rushed through our meal. The weather was misty and overcast but the the restaurant was warm. Our meal opened up our taste buds to a wonderful food experience.Special Features:
- Our favorite celebration placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014This is our favorite place to celebrate since the service and food are always amazing!
- FGWendyDined on 7/10/2014Delicious food! A tad pricey but worth it! Great service.Special Features:
- Great "Date Night" Experience!!!RJRFTBDined on 7/8/2014My girlfriend and I have been to the Grotto at least a dozen times in the past 2 years, and every time one of us asks the other why we haven't been back sooner:) • GREAT FOOD • FANTASTIC SERVICE • WONDERFUL AMBIANCE • 5-STAR DINING EXPERIENCESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VasyaDined on 6/30/2014To be a respected fish restaurant you need to know how not to overcook calamari and shrimps. Both items were RUBBERY! It H=has ruid=ned the famous local cioppino. The fish was fine overall. The waiters were very friendly and accommodating.
- Better than expectedAstroboyDined on 6/22/2014First of the all, the interior of the restaurant was a total surprise! We certainly did not expect such an elegant restaurant given it's rather touristy exterior. We started with the calamari and crabmeat-avocado tower, then followed with a cup of clam chowder that lived up to it's reputation, the king salmon and shared a seafood platter. Every dish was excellent though I preferred the crabmeat avocado tower at another establishment. Highly recommend and will definitely return on our next visit to Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveseafoodDined on 6/22/2014The Hostesses and owner were very nice and accommodating! The ambiance and view was warm and inviting. The waiter was a little short when asked specifics about a gluten free menu. My lobster and shrimp was really overcooked but they replaced it with a much better version though it was pretty salty. The sea bass was slightly overcooked and a bit dry as well. The macadamia crusted dish was perfect! It was enjoyable for the most part and I would go back, though I would confirm that the fish be cooked better next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but too much foodChicagoVisitorVIPDined on 6/17/2014The food and location are good, but they need to cut the portions in half or put a disclaimer on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice...frenchie1984Dined on 6/16/2014Despite reading some mediocre reviews about service and food, both our service and our food were outstanding. What looked to be a busy tourist trap was actually a very comfortable and pleasant experience for us.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food and ServiceCalcoastDined on 6/10/2014I eat at Old Fisherman's Grotto about once every month so I guess I can be considered a regular patron. The food is consistently fresh and delicious and the service is very friendly and efficient. Some of the restaurant's signature dishes include the clam chowder (the best on the wharf in my opinion), fisherman's platter, Dover sole, and corn risotto. Depending on where I am seated, I enjoy dining here while looking out at the activity going on in the bay or along the wharf. The atmosphere is inviting for a romantic experience or simply for enjoying the scenery with a groups of friends or solo. It is definitely one of my "go to" restaurant choices when I'm in the mood for a hearty seafood meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Their Chowder!TresdudesVIPDined on 6/8/2014Their creamy clam chowder is delicious and is one of our family's favorite. It doesn't matter what activity we're coming from or how we're dressed, we can always pop in for a great meal.Special Features:
- Best Clam Chowder Ever!cflynnlVIPDined on 5/30/2014Don't let the super exhausted decor or the tacky tourist frenzy surrounding it scare you off...Old Fisherman's Grotto still has it! Find it hysterical that they have a warning sign against serving families with unruly children! Clam Chowder is simply terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goffsterDined on 5/22/2014Food was good, but not outstanding. Nicely presented and colorful but standard fat, sugar and salt without the flavors and subtle spices we were looking for. Pleasant and prompt service. Obviously has a following, the restaurant was full on a Thursday evening.Special Features:
- Use to be bettersweet1shVIPDined on 5/18/2014Portions have gotten smaller especially on the cioppono
- jmn1Dined on 5/5/2014Had a lovely dinner and great bottle of wine! Food was great! Service was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatluv2dineoutVIPDined on 5/1/2014This restaurant is always dependable. There is a wide variety of entrees to choose from. The wine list includes many great local wines as well as imports. My husband and I dine here frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place and delicious foodMaazterDined on 4/25/2014This was the second time me and my wife went there, the food as always was exquisite, the service is superb and the place is lovely, don't miss on the desserts!Special Features:
- Good foodSteveDined on 4/24/2014Food was good. Service good. Don't order the Fried Calamari. The pieces are cut to big and it was a little doughy and soggy. Maybe it's the style, but I like my calamari crunchy and small. We had a complimentary appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine night of diningNONOYCASTILLONDined on 4/21/2014iT WAS TRULY A GREAT EXPERIENCE TO DINE AT ONE OF MONTEREY BAYS FINEST DINERS. THE SERVICE, FOOD, AND ATMOSPHERE WAS INCREDIBLE. I WOULD DINE AGAIN WHEN I HAVE THE OPPURTUNITY. IT WAS GOOD TO SEE CHRIS, AND HIS OUTSTANDING STAFF AS BOTH ME AND OUR GUESTS THAT NIGHT WERE VERY IMPRESSED BY THE FOOD AND SERVICE. I WOULD DEFINITLY RECOMMEND THIS DINER TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND RELATIVES. TRULY A GREAT EXPERIENCE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good placeldgaffVIPDined on 4/14/2014This restaurant is located on the old pier at Fisherman's wharf in Monterrey. Obviously a lot of tourists eat here. The food was good with a lot of local seafood. My wife and I shared a bottle of Chardonnay, a king crab appetizer, and a sand dab main course. The wine and food were both excellent. The service was great. Our table overlooked Monterrey bay. What is not to like.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseAndyDined on 4/10/2014From the outside, you would never think the restaurant looked the way it did on the inside. It had a very romantic feel and we were given a window seat with excellent views. More of an upscale seafood restaurant than I expected. The air conditioning was blowing under the table when we first got in, we addressed it, and it was quickly fixed so we could enjoy our dinner without freezing. The waitress was very attentive and we received our food in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.