Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: (202) 347-4801
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1367 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (503)hot spot (497)special occasion (479)good for groups (465)great for lunch (456)vibrant bar scene (452)fit for foodies (407)great for brunch (272)late-night find (212)romantic (193)notable wine list (177)kid-friendly (149)scenic view (54)great for outdoor dining (20)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014We go here everytime my parents are in town. It's their favorite restaurant in D.C. We've done brunch, lunch and dinner and all were great!Special Features:
- Ebbitt Never DisappointsdavelDined on 11/23/2014Have been a few times over the years, most recently for Sunday brunch. Server was excellent and attentive, and the food was even better. I had the Chesapeake Benedict. As a born and raised Marylander, I'm a little high strung when it comes to crab. The crab cakes were fantastic and the hollandaise sauce really hit the spot, very appropriate amount and mix of flavors. Will definitely be back again soon. (For brunch, make a reservation, they get busy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet up and catch up (with kids)igarrettDined on 11/23/2014We met up with a cousin here for brunch. We have a 5 month old and he was well welcomed. It wasn't too busy at 9am when we had booked, but filled up fast. Service was friendly, helpful and courteous. We always felt taken care of. The menu is approachable and original, and we all enjoyed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been Here 3 Times - 3 of the Best Meals I've HadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014I have eaten at Old Ebbitts Grill three times and I can sincerely say that they were the three very best meals I've ever had. The crab cakes are must haves., as is the clam chowder! I cannot get enough of the complementary bread and salted butter they give us! The last two times I went there, I ordered a couple of their specialty drinks and they were wonderful also. This past week, my husband and I went there, walked around the White House and did some sightseeing in the neighborhood and ended a wonderful day at a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere was fun, service was excellent!FitliciousDined on 11/22/2014Arriving with 3 Hungry Tweens, the staff was both courteous and friendly. The crab and artichoke dip was very rich and creamy. Great selection of appetizers, salads, entrees, desserts. crab cake was pure lump crab and cooked perfectly. We enjoyed the break from sight seeing and left happy and full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentlljrDined on 11/22/2014The Old Ebbit has been mu go-to choice for dining in DC for over 20 years. It is consistently good for food, location, and service. The menu is never too complex and the wine list has excellent coverage. Reservations are absolutely essential. Valet was available after 7PM but if you arrive earlier there is a valet garage just around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Washington landmarkpamelaVIPDined on 11/22/2014This restaurant is a favorite place to bring those new to Washington and those who have lived here forever. The crab cakes are some of the best the autumn salad was a wonderful new addition to the fall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old and still Relevant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Old Ebbit is my go-to restaurant. Ii know i will always, always get good food, exemplary service in a festive atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okay. Service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Food was okay. Service was excellent. Wine was good. Very noisy and crowded.Special Features:
- Bit over priced for average food.booneymanDined on 11/19/2014My wife and I split a new York strip worth spinach and whipped sweet potatoes and 2 crab cakes worth red potatoes and whipped mashed potatoes. The cream cakes were good and she said the mashed potatoes are good. The new york strip was tough and had no flavor. Basically like they slapped it pong the grill cooked it to medium and then put It on the plate. I will day the sweet potatoes helped it out and maybe that was the idea but I also thought there was way too much spinach and it was a little bitter. In their defenseI'm not much of a spinach person anyway and maybe or was actually perfect. I would have liked a little bit of season on my steak and for the price we played I would have expected it to not be as tough either.Special Features:
- Delicious!DSFreDined on 11/19/2014We enjoyed dinner with another couple. This restaurant was recommended by our guide from a tour we took a few days before. We were not disappointed. From appetizers to dessert, the food was delicious and more reasonably priced that we had expected. We would definitely eat here again when in our nation's capital.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old EbbittGranvilleBoyDined on 11/17/2014Very nice "old school" dark wood atmosphere. Service folks were knowledgeable and trained well. Food and drinks were very good.....good value also. Bar was very active with the after work crowd but wasn't too noisy....just the right amount of buzz. Traditional menu but updated just enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Ebbit GrillSandyDined on 11/16/2014Obviously, the Old Ebbit Grill is a popular place: Even on cold, rainy Sunday evening the place was packed when we arrived, and still packed when we departed. Although we had reservations, we had to wait for 10-15 minutes in the bar before we could be seated. That said, we had a great experience; the food was excellent, the service was great, and the liveliness of the restaurant once we were seated was very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Early Dinner After the PlayFiddlerFanDined on 11/16/2014On line reservation worked well. Enjoyed meal. Server was great. Very knowledgeable. Noise level was a bit high but overall had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atrium diningLuAnnDined on 11/15/2014We waited almost two hours for our reservation, which was fine because we arrived early. The bar was fabulous as was the bartender. The problem was, when we were seated, we were put out in a large open area --maybe an atrium. There was a party going on... Everyone just standing around. Our table was next to the party. It was extremely loud and felt like we were not in a restaurant. After waiting 2 hours, I would have liked a tablet inside the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 11/15/2014Got to choose oysters from 5 kinds. Ordered a dozen for $15, great happy hour deal. Clam chowder was quite ordinal, no surprise. Servers were very nice. Easy access from White House.
- Make your reservationJoeyVDined on 11/15/2014It is a great place to take people that are visiting DC and the food and oysters are consistantly terrific. I am disappointed that I will not be in town for the Annual Oyster fest. I made a last minute reservation on Open Table and glad that I did as the line was out the door when I arrived but we were seated immediately. Great place to meet friends for that 3 hour brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive and Fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014We had an outstanding lunch at Old Ebbitt's Grill! It was very crowded but fortunately we had a reservation and we were seated right on time (we appreciated that very much!). Our server was wonderful--cheerful, friendly and knowledgeable about the offerings on the menu. The food was delicious! Overall a very festive and fun lunch with friends. Couldn't have been better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I would have expected more from such a highly rated restaurant. The service was great, and the ambiance was nice (classic but not pretentious), and if you have out of town tourists visiting, the location can't be beat. However the food was astonishingly mediocre. There were 4 of us for brunch, and we had 5 poached eggs in our meals, all of which were over-cooked to the point of being borderline hard-boiled. The hollandaise sauce on my eggs was great, however there was such a tiny amount of it that I could barely taste it. The English muffins were kind of soggy instead of being lightly toasted. One of my friend's dishes, which was suppose to be a hash with sausage, looked as though every ingredient had been burnt and scraped up from the bottom of an over pan (she sent it back and ordered something else - the chicken pot pie, which she said was pretty good). Overall, for the prices they charge, the quality of the food is not there.Special Features:
- Too loud for me!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Don't sit close to the bar if yoou want to talk to the people you're with. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling with good food but by no means perfectGeraldDined on 11/14/2014This is a very, very busy and bustling large restaurant. We sat at a booth which was a very, very tight fit and the table was high (or the seating low) making it uncomfortable. The waiter was over efficient and when our main courses arrived while we were still enjoying the starters, we got the impression that the restaurant wanted us out and our table back as soon as possible. These two things spoiled the evening somewhat. The food itself was very nice, well prepared but not gourmet standard. We started with chicken soup and an apple salad. My chicken dish was a little over salted for my taste. My wife had the calfs liver. Our guest ate trout coated in something which he really enjoyed. There is quite an extensive wine list. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, if a bit noisyExcellentDined on 11/14/2014Never been disappointed by Old Ebbitt! The food is always excellent and the staff are incredibly friendly. I often bring people from out-of-town here, as it is a DC landmark. It can get pretty noisy, so if someone in the party has a hearing problem, I'd recommend requesting a seat in the back room where it's a little quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion at Old Ebbittglassiter1120Dined on 11/14/2014I met two of my high school class mates there for dinner and we had a fabulous time. We had a great table, our waiter was excellent, his recommendations for dinner were good and we enjoyed the food. The dessert was so delicious. We left full and satisfied, and enjoyed the evening with friends. This restaurant is one of my favorite places to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of history and wonderful food/service.GeraDined on 11/14/2014The service was wonderful. I went there for lunch and the sandwich (The Walter) was generous and tasty. I had heard that the Blondie was exceptional, so ordered one for desert. It was extremely good and large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Exceeds ExpectationszeldasayreDined on 11/14/2014With all of the wonderful restaurants in Washington, DC, we still have a lunch, brunch, or dinner at The Old Ebbitt Grill every time we visit. It never disappoints us! The food is excellent, the atmosphere is vibrant without being distracting, and the staff are friendly and helpful. We leave always anticipating our next visit to DC and a great meal upon our return to the Old Ebbitt Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!ZyoziDined on 11/13/2014Went there for dinner as recommended by Lonely Planet. Surprisingly, food is very good, good service, and the price is reasonable! So my friend and I decided to have dinner again on our second night stay!!! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sooner2youSooner2youDined on 11/13/2014We had reservations at 6:30 on a weeknight and had to wait 10 minutes for our table. The place was packed. We were seated right by the bar and door. It was extremely loud. This is one of our "usual" places when in DC so we know how busy it is but the food is always good. We've never been this close to the door and will request not to be seated there again. We've been in the Atrium, in the downstairs dining room and the back dining room before. Service and noise level have been much better in those areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidQueenofrogsVIPDined on 11/13/2014Ole Ebbitt Grill never disappoints - it's a solid, predictable dining experience. Everything is prepared well with no surprises. Service was professional and she checked in on us with the right amount of frequency, Old Ebbitt Grill may not blow your socks off with unexpected flight of cuisine, but sometimes you want to it down to well-prepared food presented by a competent wait person.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch in DC!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014Had a couple spare hours before heading to the airport.. Just enough time to enjoy one meal in out nation's capital. No where better than Old Ebbitts Grill!!! amazing food, service ,& ambiance!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!DASHDined on 11/13/2014Service was outstanding as usual and trout parmesean was outstanding! Our waitress Deboarah was very delightful and make an excellent recommendation for dessert. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place in dchikerDined on 11/12/2014We enjoyed being in the dc crowd. the food was wonderful and we had a relaxing dinner with good wine after 4 days of hiking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great times overall as always.ValentineDinnerGuestVIPDined on 11/12/2014The food was great and scene was fun. The food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Safe BetGManVIPDined on 11/11/2014Reservations are a must if don't want to wait. We dine here regularly when in D.C. because we know we will get good food and service. The main dining area off of the entrance is generally a bit noisy, so if you want more quiet dining ask for the Atrium room. One of our guests was a first timer here and she loved it. As a vegan she found a few items on the menu she could order. Two of us had the fish and chips. A large piece of white fish, perfectly deep fried w/hot fries. I had the catfish tacos w/hot fries and they were delicious. Our vegan guest enjoyed the humus appetizer as well as her mixed greens and veggie salad. We highly recommend dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2014Love this spot.. old world elegance with a home welcoming vibe. Great restaurant with amazing food with a wide variety of options... although the menu is out dated..... dishes are what you would expect to find in a 1980's resturant... but I think that's part of the old charm. Still amazing and worth the visit. I'm from NY, and I eat here every time I'm in DC... love it:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gold StandardJrarlingtonDined on 11/10/2014Old Ebbittt is the Gold Standard for service and price in the D.C. area. Great food, knowlegable servers, and if out of town guests have one niight only for dinner downtown, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2014As always, Old Ebbitt Grill provided a tremendous dining experience...wait staff service and meal quality were superior!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near White HouseSunnyVIPDined on 11/9/2014Old established restaurant in a "new" since 1980's. Great shrimp & steak. Good drinks friendly and attentive bar staff. Overall great meal and evening.Special Features:
- Terrible servicedwhotzVIPDined on 11/9/2014I've been to Old Ebbitt many times, and this was by far the worst experience I've had there. We were seated in the atrium which was wonderful - albeit a little loud. The service was by far the worst I've ever had with even a split check being done incorrectly adding almost 50% to the bill. While others in the group enjoyed their food, mine was flavorless and mediocre at best. While I will likely go back, I would definitely not were this my only data point.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Old Ebbitt never fails! Great place to bring newcomers to DC for good food and a bit of history.Special Features:
- Nice AtmosphereJennie35Dined on 11/9/2014We sat in a booth for our brunch. The decor was very nice. Our waitress was very nice and attentive. She refilled our coffee frequently. The food tasted good, but was on the lukewarm side. Perhaps it is just too big of a restaurant.