Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1374 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (514)special occasion (480)great for lunch (470)hot spot (452)good for groups (437)vibrant bar scene (417)fit for foodies (402)great for brunch (267)kid-friendly (207)romantic (198)late-night find (193)notable wine list (169)scenic view (55)great for outdoor dining (17)Show More
- Still great !Murray32Dined on 10/17/2014We always try to eat here when I'm Washington. Was able to dine with grandson on Friday where we had dined with his mother 25 years ago. Still perfect ! Best crab cakes , pasta and chicken nuggets. Make reservations !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go there when in DC.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Great place, lots of history, been in business since 1850 something. Unbelievable food, best crab cakes ever, I had the steak it was perfect. Fun bar, great service, good beers on tap. A must when in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WH lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Great place for post White House tour lunch. Close, nice, and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful breakfast placepoppoDined on 10/17/2014I have been to this grill a number if times but always for dinner. I was not aware of this restaurant's typical, yet great breakfast menu. Very friendly staff. I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014We ate at the Old Ebbits Grill on the recommendation of our daughter. We had a reservation and the wait was not long but the lobby was like Grand Central Station the revolving door hardly ever stoped. The waiter took our drink order then came back with my wife's drink and asked me what I wanted strike one. Then he took our dinner order never saw him again until the food was delivered by the way I ordered a cup of clam chowder it wasn't brought before my meal strike two. When I mentioned it to him he immediately went and got it and said it was on the house. I was already finished with my meal and the plate was gone strike three. The food was good not great the service was not good I would not recommend The Old Ebbits Grill.Special Features:
- A Classic PlaceBillVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great meal, great service. Our first time there, very busy at 5:30pm, still everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Old Gem in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Love this place. I take my family here every time they're in town.Special Features:
- DC StapleBusinessCasualVIPDined on 10/15/2014Old Ebbitt's is DC institution! And rightfully so with it's unbeatable location right across from Treasury, four vibrant bars, rotating menu (changes every other month I think), knowledgable bartenders, attentive wait staff, and generally very good food. The place can be packed on games nights at 11:30 and it's never really "quiet" no matter what time you go. Kitchen stays open really late which in Penn Quarter is a draw when you are getting out of work (or play) late and want something hot to eat. I love this place!Special Features:
- Nice lunchKco105Dined on 10/15/2014Met an old friend for lunch, staff had no problem with us taking up the table for hours! At first we though it would be too loud for us to be able to catch up but the noise level was really not a problem. I had a hamburger which was very good, friend had a crab cake that was good, not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Food was fantastic, I had the fall autumn salad that typically comes with Fried Chicken and I asked to switch the chicken to Salmon and they did without hesitation. The salad was fantastic, my guests also had the same salad with the fried chicken which she also loved, I enjoyed a latte that was done very well. All in all we had a great lunch service was a bit slow but he was very friendly and accommodating. I do not recommend a lunch if you are in a hurry or have to be back to work at a specific time, service can be a bit slow and not ideal for rushed lunches. But great for a working meeting where you have time to talk and enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Great location near White HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014We brought our out-of-town friends here. Perfect. We found a large menu but not too large, a kid-friendly staff and food choices, downtown ambiance and busy-ness. It's easy to get to from all directions. Open Table was a smooth reservation experience, confirmation emails for everyone and we were seed promptly. Our waiter was friendly and attentive to all members of the party. The crab cakes are some of the best in town. The chocolate layer cake has that over the top, end of the meal appeal for a 12 year old. The wine for the adults was well priced and reasonable by the bottle. We lingered a bit over coffee and never felt rushed taking with friends we hadn't seen in several years. A delightful evening in a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The first table was a bit loud (near the fountain with large parties near us and lots of marble to bounce the noise), but the waitress quickly accommodated us and moved us inside. The food was rather good, and the ambience is great!Special Features:
- Old School Service, Great ValueSuzanneDined on 10/13/2014My guest had trouble getting to the restaurant - he ended up being an hour late. My waiter was exceptionally kind and accommodating, letting me keep my table to wait comfortably even though it was a busy night. We each had lobster - which was fabulous and well priced. The oysters were wonderful too, and Mike makes an excellent martini. I love the atmosphere, too. Thank you, Old Ebbitt, for a wonderful and memorable evening.Special Features:
- Fun for guests and a good DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Old Ebbitt is always fun. Love the atmosphere and the Historical charm. The food is just okay, but the cocktail and wine list is excellent. Great for when friends and family visit.Special Features:
- Oyster Happy HourVAfoodieDined on 10/13/2014Oysters are half off from 3-6pm daily. Raw bar is great quality. Vibrant atmosphere. Waits can get very long -- highly recommend making a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelairbelleDined on 10/13/2014This was our 2nd time at Old Ebbitt Grill. Unfortunately we were seated in the atrium area in the rear part of the restaurant. I would have preferred inside the actual restaurant where the atmosphere is more authentic to its theme. Disappointed that they were out of the lobster pot pie. However, love their location, less than 2 blocks to the White House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Decor, Food ....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Lovely inside and well-staffed. Very busy, reservations are a must. The food, I am sorry to say, was unimpressive. Ebbitt's of 5 years ago were some of the best meals I've had. What a shame. Great for drinks with friendsSpecial Features:
- Perfect night outAggietraveler92406Dined on 10/12/2014This placed exceeded our expectations. We made a reservation, got seated right away, our server was amazing, and the good was tremendous. Will definitely come back next time in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed my mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014had been here for drinks before but never dinner. Meal was very good, but most notable was the service provided by out waitress, we will be back for dinner next time in DC. Restaurant was a little loud, but thats what makes it family friendly, there was a game on the tvSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014For the price of the food it could be a little better or maybe add a salad to each meal.
- 69th AnniversaryDavidKDined on 10/12/2014We took my in-laws, who are in their 90s, to Old Ebbitt Grill to celebrate their 69th anniversary. The staff was incredibly gracious and accommodating, and brought out a wonderful dessert as an unexpected surprise at the end of the meal. They made it a truly special occasion.Special Features:
- Entrees with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Food was wonderful. We had brunch at Old Ebbitt's and enjoyed Eggs Benedict over crab cakes, French toast filled with sausage and wrapped with bacon. Everything a little different and great. Service very accommodating.Special Features:
- Great place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Great place to eat right across from the treasury building in downtown D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must do dinner place in DCSpecialgranDined on 10/11/2014The "special" the night we were there was Lobster! Fantastic!! This is my fav place in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must experience...JkomlaDined on 10/11/2014The food was good and the Ambiance was nice. On Yelp, everyone was raving about the crabcakes, but they were average to me. I felt a little rushed by the server because she kept coming by to see if we were ready to order our entree and we were still enjoying our appetizer and conversation. Additionally, I felt the tables were too close for parties of 2. I recommend taking out 1 table to make it a more personal dining experience. When leaving, I had to shift the table to the right and apologize to the neighboring couple for disrupting them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEricDined on 10/11/2014After making reservations for this well reviewed historical restaurant, we were greeted and told a bit about the history and special nature of the old restaurant. After this we were escorted out into an open atrium that was loud ,cool and was clearly their overflow dining area. It looked and felt nothing like the experience we were looking to have. Instead the service was slow, poor and the overall ambiance was zero because it wasn't even in the restaurant it was in the open lit atrium that could have been any other patio or embassy suites dining area in the country. I
- Love the Ebbitt!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014We eat here every time we visit Washington, DC. The clam chowder is the perfect consistency with lots of clams and flavor. I had the strip steak which was seasoned and cooked just right. it was served with mashed sweet potatoes and veggies. Perfect combo! My husband had the crab cakes which were delicious. We went back the next day for more clam chowder before we left for the airport. That's how good it was! The service was friendly and quick. We were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as Always!SatisfiedDined on 10/10/2014The salmon was perfect! The crab cakes were delicious! The strip steaks looked fabulous! A must... The bread pudding! YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC TripDisappointedVIPDined on 10/10/2014It is always a pleasure to go back to this establishment. Great food at fair prices with service to compliment anyone. We will be back on our next trip to DC. Make sure you have a reservation!Special Features:
- Fun place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/10/2014This is our "go to" restaurant in DC because the food is consistently good and service is excellent. It is a fun, vibrant atmosphere!Special Features:
- Centrally located - good foodHarryVIPDined on 10/10/2014Our group of 6 chose this place because it was centrally located to Metro and hotels. The menu had lots of variety so we all found just the right thing to eat. It was Friday night so very crowded and noisey but the waiter was excellent--which helped with the chaos. Would recommend. Want to go back and try the courtyard seating...might be quieter!Special Features:
- Good atmospjereedmoniteDined on 10/10/2014Stick to what they do best. Oysters and beer. Other seafood is good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to the White HouseKayfromNCDined on 10/10/2014Freshly made pasta was amazing! I see why this place is a long time DC favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicegreatDined on 10/10/2014Waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about menu. Everyone was very happy with what they ordered. Overall great experience and very close to the White House.Special Features:
- A "Must Visit" for DCcalv1Dined on 10/9/2014Don't miss this landmark experience. Outstanding ambiance, food, and service! If you only have time for one meal in DC, make it Ebbitt Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/8/2014Have eaten here many times & am always satisfied with the food and service. Noise levels seemed higher than usual this time at dinner making it difficult to carry on a conversation without having to speak loudly (possibly due to all the wood and lack of quieting materials/fabric). Nevertheless, a good place to meet and eat not far from the White House.Special Features:
- A fit place to enjoy yourseelferrolDined on 10/7/2014The bar scene was active. And everyone there were considerate of others!! That is they gave their bar stool up to my wife - no profanity heard. The bartenders were great - gave a sample of the beer and the drimks were not on the water side. The food was above par - 1 1/2 pund lobster for $20.00 Can't beat that. The Oysters were frsh and select. Great stop and active to say the least.Special Features:
- LindaDined on 10/7/2014Had a great time at this venue! Food and service excellent. Would recommend visiting if you can find a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, just fair foodru9182Dined on 10/7/2014The location is neat being that it's right across from the White House complex. Being a local myself we enjoy many different restaurants around the beltway and inside the district, however, on this night we were looking for something different for some out of town guests staying downtown. Our table was ready right away as reserved. The restaurant is beautiful, noisey and obviously an after-work location for local businessman and government employees. We ordered several different dishes including a New York Steak which was thin, overcooked and tough as leather. The waitress, who obviously didn't speak English very well, was not interested in my concern and was quick to walk away when I addressed the problem. Lobster forgettable.Special Features:
- Not what I thought...AnonymousDined on 10/7/2014This is not the original building or the second or third for that matter. This particular version of the historical restaurant was established in 1983. The name is what stayed the same so if you are going for the history there is little of it besides the replications. However, the ambience is nice. I especially liked the booths designed after a an old railroad dining car. The service was also good. The food, in my opinion, was mediocre. It wasn't just the food preparation and quality, but the selection as well. I felt it was a bit lacking. I guess I expected more from this restaurant with such a historical name and relevance behind it.Special Features: