Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 2nd Annual Brewhaha on Friday, August 22, 2014
20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1420 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (510)great for lunch (500)neighborhood gem (490)hot spot (402)good for groups (392)vibrant bar scene (391)fit for foodies (376)great for brunch (315)kid-friendly (229)romantic (198)late-night find (173)notable wine list (165)scenic view (68)great for outdoor dining (14)Show More
- our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great restaurant. Great food. Great service. Did not realize that we didn't need reservations, they take walk ups?? Web site leads you to thank you need reservations. Got seated really fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lvsmallrestaurantsDined on 8/30/2014Had not been to Old Ebbitt Grill for many years..Has not changed much...and the restaurant is still 'one of my favorites'....great room, great food and great service...good combination....and it is very easy to get to from anywhere in D.C. area.Special Features:
- For seafood lovers!merylandDined on 8/30/2014All the food was wonderful and a large variety on the menu. Reasonable prices for a downtown restaurant. The raw bar is a must! Great oysters & the largest shrimp ever! Perfect for a pre theatre dinner and a stroll around DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place AFter TheaterTegerDined on 8/30/2014We love the Old Ebbitt for brunch, lunch and after theater dinner. The service is always wonderful. The noise level is high especially around the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Good food, good atmosphere and good service - not much more to add.Special Features:
- Worth the visitwhipswDined on 8/30/2014Old Ebbitt Grill is a good place to eat while in Washington. The restaurant is quite a charm, with old lamps and old-timed decor. The menu is similar to other Clyde's restaurants--so if you've been in one, you've been at the Old Ebbitt Grill. Make a reservation before you go, as there is always a long wait. If your party is a large party (5 or 6 and up), be prepared to wait. It is located 1 1/5 blocks from the White House so it's a good stop while touring the Mall, White House, and other attractions around Washington. Parking is easily accessible on the street (using Parkmobile). Service is a bit rushed due to the large crowds that frequent this place but good nonetheless.Special Features:
- Always excellent.ClayDined on 8/30/2014Crab cakes to die for and service that's beyond expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014We had brunch and were promptly seated. I would have liked to see a few more breakfast items at 10 am, but overall it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014I was introduced to this place on a previous trip and I loved everything about it. So I took my wife and she was delighted. The place was packed, but we had reservations and were seated promptly. Our server was very attentive and the food was delicious. We will be back on our next visit to the area.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in the City!CraftBeerLoverDined on 8/29/2014Old ebbitt grill never disappoints! Had a fantastic dinner with a mixed oyster sampler, bottle of fantastic Italian red (number 121), and the steak salad. Always great ambiance, cool atmosphere, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect. Just perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014When we go to Washington once a year, we make sure that one night includes dinner at the Old Ebbitt. A perfect dining establishment. If you love raw oysters an even more perfect spot. The ambiance of the place is incomparable. A highlight of our trip every year. Hope to never miss dining here. And one added note -- their Martinis (true GIN martinis) are the best in the District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place of choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We were 5 visitors: two pairs and a 10 year old child. Everyone found something for his/her taste. The service was good and timely, in spite of the big crowd. Crab cakes are very good. We left satisfied and quite full. The salads are nice, with very good sauce. The coffee machine was not functioning and we had a simple Americana. whenever I visit Old Ebbitt, I always leave very satisfied and always happy to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014I really enjoy this restaurant, I haven't been in a long time but I just recently visited again. It was better than I remember it. They also accommodated my food allergies. I recommend going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMariVIPDined on 8/28/2014Food was delicious and service outstanding . The croquetas and calamari were the best appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Food is very good, prices are excellent for this location in Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Excellent. We really enjoyed our dinning experience.Special Features:
- Old ebbitt grillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014What a place! We got a table at 8 pm and had dinner in twenty minutes. I ordered the crab cake and enjoyed them. My girls split a generous NY strip steak while my hubby ordered the swordfish. Great food great service great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodGNPAZDined on 8/27/2014Good food and atmosphere. Service was friendly. Very busy so make a reservation!! Lived up to the reputation. Noise level high of you don't mind that. Try the trout!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Not use to the noise level we found on arrival at the restaurant. It came as a bit of a culture shock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent service every timehealthypickyeaterDined on 8/27/2014You can always count on the "Clyde's" group to deliver great consistent food and service! Old Ebbitt, does not disappoint.Special Features:
- fun but WAY TOO NOISYOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/27/2014Old Ebbit is tried and true; a DC culture. Food is decent but not outstanding. Service is generally good but when they are busy you can easily get left behind. My biggest complaint...noise. OMG, why do people call that energetic. I hate it! Guess in this text generation, we can sit across the table and text if we want to communicate. Makes me want to stay home ;-).
- Class Actvic111VIPDined on 8/27/2014These guys run a great restaurant. The menu has a very good selection and isn't overwhelming. The service is first class, from the door, to the table and back to the door. I am a big fan of the Atlantic Salmon salad and the reuben sandwich. Even the ice tea taste light and fresh. I've had oysters here in the past and they were fresh and out of this world. The Clyde group knows how to run a restaurant and this is no exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2014This was not my first time dining at Old Ebbitt Grill - but it may have been my last. I took a friend to celebrate their birthday - expecting a great experience. Unfortunately, our wait staff person did not provide timely attention and it appeared that we were more a disruption to her day than welcomed guests. Granted, this was lunch time in downtown D.C. and the restaurant was full - however, it took a very long time to get our meals. I had the Atlantic salmon and some type of vegetable mix. The salmon was very bland and the vegetable mix of zucchini, onions, olives, and grilled corn was minced small and was too oily and overcooked. The menu definitely needs to offer healthier options.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014We recently were visited by lifelong friends who have never been to Old Ebbitt Grill, which we explained was our favorite restaurant in DC. Our experience was absolutely fantastic and reaffirmed our fondness for OEG. The service and food were outstanding (particularly the oysters). Our friends had the cannelloni and shrimp capellini. My wife had the blackened soft shell crab and I enjoyed a Riot burger. Everything was cooked to our satisfaction. The only drawback was that we were so full that there was not room for dessert. We will return for that the next time our friends visit (if not sooner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- timbDined on 8/26/2014Service was spotty and indifferent although the food was tasty with ample portions.Special Features:
- Did not stayterryDined on 8/24/2014We had had a long day and looking forward to our dining reservation. We were stuck between 2 very loud parties on a bench with no room to even put down our purses. We waited about 10 minutes with no server and decide to leave, we were not in the mood for all of the noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always at its best!!DCFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant should be on the list of places to visit alongside the DC monuments and museums. Everything on the menu is awesome & very reasonably priced. I especially like their Cap Cod Mussels & Linguini and the 1/2 priced oysters during their happy hours. Totally worth the long wait. But if you're doing it right, you would make reservations & not have to wait!Special Features:
- Great start to a fun night outLove2dineDined on 8/23/2014We recommended making reservations, esp on a Sat night. Amazing black cheery Mojito. The food was delicious and came out fairly quickly. Price of the food was fair as well. They are known for their Oisters too. Three different bars, different atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food + Great Setting, butButtercupDCDined on 8/23/2014I went to Old Ebbitt for the dozenth (or so) time on Saturday night, and I was really disappointed by the poor service we received. Our food was fantastic, as always, and delivered in a timely fashion. However, I felt that the service wasn't up to snuff and I hope it was an anomaly. I would hate to scratch Old Ebbitt of our list for the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZoezoeDined on 8/23/2014Brought our parents here since it seemed like a "must visit" while in d.c. - had no real expectations. Pleasantly surprised with a great food and great service - everyone enjoyed - watermelon salad was excellent!
- Excellent FoodFeathers99Dined on 8/23/2014Our second visit from UK and the standard is still the bestSpecial Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceDajobeDined on 8/23/2014Took my wife for her birthday dinner (I mentioned it in the Open Table on-line reservation comment box...and Old Ebbitt remembered without me saying anything). Food and service were great. But, don't expect a lot of privacy with tables close together throughout most of the restaurant - that didn't bother us or take away from a geat meal. Expect the atmosphere to be busy with conversations and staff moving everywhere.Special Features:
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014First night in DC. Right down the street drom the white house. Interesting and reasonable wine list. Fried calamari, soft shelled crab and crab cakes were all good. Atmosphere was very happening. Lots of goos energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsfeefam4Dined on 8/23/2014We had an awesome experience! Our server was friendly and efficient. The food was fantastic. The kids' menu had a few diverse options which our kids really enjoyed.Special Features:
- Good Food lacking in serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The mussel app that I ordered was over salty. The shrimp and grits were very nice as was the french toast. the service was a little lacking as it was hard to get the attention of our serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Service was great. Food was awesome! Will definitely come back next time I'm in town.Special Features:
- Very Nice Lunch ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Pleased to report that this latest visit was a great improvement over the last one. For one thing, we stuck to menu items that Old Ebbitt is known to do very well. The crab cakes were excellent, as expected. For dessert, we shared the chocolate bread pudding, which could have been a bit warmer but was very good. The service was great and my mother said it was the best meal she has had in a long time. As long you are are making my mother happy, then I am happy :-)Special Features:
- Hot spothousedividedDined on 8/22/2014This is definitely a late night hot spot. It is noisy, so better for a night out with friends versus a romantic evening. The food was very good and so was our server. One of the only good servers we found in all of DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Great food and atmosphere. I always make it a point to stop by when I'm in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth the strong ratingsCHKHVIPDined on 8/22/2014The four of us went and really loved the food and the atmosphere. We had debated between this place and DC Coast our first night in town. Should have come here instead of DC Coast. It is 20 times better. So glad we made it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.