Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1400 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (526)special occasion (489)great for lunch (485)hot spot (460)good for groups (452)vibrant bar scene (430)fit for foodies (414)great for brunch (281)kid-friendly (211)late-night find (198)romantic (197)notable wine list (171)scenic view (55)great for outdoor dining (17)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I live in Arizona. I made reservation on your Web site..........Excellent My Cousin had one meal at Clyde"s and one Dinner at Ebbitts. A treat, the food was excellent. I lived in Washington for several years and enjoyed Old Ebbitts. It is still the "place to go" in DC Thank you for two great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience.HighCountryFoodieDined on 10/19/2014Visiting DC for a few days from Colorado. I had made a 7:30 reservation and they got us seated immediately. I mean as soon as we walked in. The place was packed and we didn't wait for our table. I don't know if we were just lucky but that was awesome. We had a dozen oysters and they were superb. Our waitress was very attentive considering how busy they were. I had fish & chips for my entree and it was really good. Crispy but not over-cooked. Tender fish filets hidden inside the golden fried batter. The waitress brought malt vinegar without needing to ask about it. That's a nice touch. Be sure to try the Blondie Sundae for dessert. Wow is all I can say. You must try it to understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ebbitt Grill reservation concernOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014When making reservations make sure you ask to sit in the restaurant . We didn't and were put out in the building courtyard which was noisy and had no atmosphere which is why we went. Our main course arrived at our table less than 5 minutes after our appetizers were served. Would recommend going there for the history and ambience as long as you are actually on the restaurantI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal near the White HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/19/2014WE had a wonderful dinner here. Reservations for dinner are a must. Tables are tightly packed together. Service was very good and food great and well presented.
- Overrated unfortunatelyPrincessG27Dined on 10/19/2014I was so excited to finally go but I won't be back.
- Unqualified Service StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014Had brunch there two days ago. Extremely busy. We had a reservation and were seated immediately. Food was very good. Unfortunately our server was either very overwhelmed, not trained or a a combination. Sat for a long period before he came by. Didn't know the menu, messed up our orders, appetizers came out at the exact same time as entry. He disappeared for long stretches of time throughout brunch. Spoke to manager who didn't really seem to care at all. Complete lack of customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consideration!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014The Old Ebbitt Grill was very crowded as it always is. Even though the other members of my party of 5 were 45 minutes late, they seated me right at 11:00. The server was wonderful - she served me my coffee and kept saying "no worries" because the other members of my group were so late! I was very impressed with her. The food - as always - was great.Special Features:
- Will ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Can't beat a great location, great atmosphere and awesome food. Came for Sunday brunch - highly recommend making reservations as the place was packed. Service took time but we were engaged in lively conversation so we didn't mind. When the food finally arrived, I had to send my eggs benedict back for being overcooked and the turn-around time for a fresh plate was quick. I was in town for Parents Weekend so my girls and I were enjoying the morning just catching up. Service was friendly and the manager apologized for the overcooked meal. Overall, the experience is worth a repeat.Special Features:
- Great DC spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I go here everytime I come to DC. Great location being a block from the whitehouse. The place is always packed and the food is great! Always get the Clyde's Chili!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Poor Service;So so foodBillnBarbVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have been to Old Ebbit Grill several times and each time over the past few years the quality of the food and service has gone down hill. The people next to us were seated at the same time (and different waiter) and were finished, paid their bill and gone before we received our meals. It was busy and perhaps our waiter was overwhelmed but poor service is poor service. The sweet potato fries were cold and I notice the table next to us also sent there fries back. I get better crab cakes (more lump meet and less filler) at my local VFW. I believe their business relies on its name and past reputation. Tables are too close and the noise level so high that you need to raise your voice to be heard above the din.
- Birthday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Fantastic oysters and clams. Riot burger was interesting. Server was not friendly, didn't smile...put a damper on things when he did come by the table--which wasn't often.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014Old Ebbitt Grill is a go-to place for brunch or any other occasion. You can depend on the food & service being good.Special Features:
- Still great !Murray32Dined on 10/17/2014We always try to eat here when I'm Washington. Was able to dine with grandson on Friday where we had dined with his mother 25 years ago. Still perfect ! Best crab cakes , pasta and chicken nuggets. Make reservations !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go there when in DC.HawkeyeDined on 10/17/2014Great place, lots of history, been in business since 1850 something. Unbelievable food, best crab cakes ever, I had the steak it was perfect. Fun bar, great service, good beers on tap. A must when in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalvertShelbyDined on 10/17/2014Food was great, the service we had was a little slow initially but then improved. We visited on a Friday and it was very noisy as it was quite busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WH lunchDCtouristDined on 10/17/2014Great place for post White House tour lunch. Close, nice, and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014The restaurant was crowded but very nice. The service was very good and the trout was excellent and melted in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014The food is always great, and the service was impressive given the ridiculous amount of people in there at lunchtime.Special Features:
- Wonderful breakfast placepoppoDined on 10/17/2014I have been to this grill a number if times but always for dinner. I was not aware of this restaurant's typical, yet great breakfast menu. Very friendly staff. I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedJoel6589Dined on 10/16/2014We ate at the Old Ebbits Grill on the recommendation of our daughter. We had a reservation and the wait was not long but the lobby was like Grand Central Station the revolving door hardly ever stoped. The waiter took our drink order then came back with my wife's drink and asked me what I wanted strike one. Then he took our dinner order never saw him again until the food was delivered by the way I ordered a cup of clam chowder it wasn't brought before my meal strike two. When I mentioned it to him he immediately went and got it and said it was on the house. I was already finished with my meal and the plate was gone strike three. The food was good not great the service was not good I would not recommend The Old Ebbits Grill.Special Features:
- A Classic PlaceBillVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great meal, great service. Our first time there, very busy at 5:30pm, still everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Old Gem in DCdagreates01Dined on 10/16/2014Love this place. I take my family here every time they're in town.Special Features:
- Always a Good Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014The food is always great and service is impeccable. I wish the tables are spaced apart a little more. It is difficult to carry on conversation since the noise level is quite high and raising your voice to make yourself heard means that you are sharing your conversation with neighboring tables. Worth the slight inconvenience in view of the great food and service.Special Features:
- DC StapleBusinessCasualVIPDined on 10/15/2014Old Ebbitt's is DC institution! And rightfully so with it's unbeatable location right across from Treasury, four vibrant bars, rotating menu (changes every other month I think), knowledgable bartenders, attentive wait staff, and generally very good food. The place can be packed on games nights at 11:30 and it's never really "quiet" no matter what time you go. Kitchen stays open really late which in Penn Quarter is a draw when you are getting out of work (or play) late and want something hot to eat. I love this place!Special Features:
- Nice lunchKco105Dined on 10/15/2014Met an old friend for lunch, staff had no problem with us taking up the table for hours! At first we though it would be too loud for us to be able to catch up but the noise level was really not a problem. I had a hamburger which was very good, friend had a crab cake that was good, not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but slow servicedowntowndcDined on 10/15/2014Food was fantastic, I had the fall autumn salad that typically comes with Fried Chicken and I asked to switch the chicken to Salmon and they did without hesitation. The salad was fantastic, my guests also had the same salad with the fried chicken which she also loved, I enjoyed a latte that was done very well. All in all we had a great lunch service was a bit slow but he was very friendly and accommodating. I do not recommend a lunch if you are in a hurry or have to be back to work at a specific time, service can be a bit slow and not ideal for rushed lunches. But great for a working meeting where you have time to talk and enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Great location near White HousegladiwentDined on 10/14/2014We brought our out-of-town friends here. Perfect. We found a large menu but not too large, a kid-friendly staff and food choices, downtown ambiance and busy-ness. It's easy to get to from all directions. Open Table was a smooth reservation experience, confirmation emails for everyone and we were seed promptly. Our waiter was friendly and attentive to all members of the party. The crab cakes are some of the best in town. The chocolate layer cake has that over the top, end of the meal appeal for a 12 year old. The wine for the adults was well priced and reasonable by the bottle. We lingered a bit over coffee and never felt rushed taking with friends we hadn't seen in several years. A delightful evening in a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCtravelerDined on 10/14/2014The first table was a bit loud (near the fountain with large parties near us and lots of marble to bounce the noise), but the waitress quickly accommodated us and moved us inside. The food was rather good, and the ambience is great!Special Features:
- Old School Service, Great ValueSuzanneDined on 10/13/2014My guest had trouble getting to the restaurant - he ended up being an hour late. My waiter was exceptionally kind and accommodating, letting me keep my table to wait comfortably even though it was a busy night. We each had lobster - which was fabulous and well priced. The oysters were wonderful too, and Mike makes an excellent martini. I love the atmosphere, too. Thank you, Old Ebbitt, for a wonderful and memorable evening.Special Features:
- Fun for guests and a good DrinkYumYumGirlDined on 10/13/2014Old Ebbitt is always fun. Love the atmosphere and the Historical charm. The food is just okay, but the cocktail and wine list is excellent. Great for when friends and family visit.Special Features:
- Oyster Happy HourVAfoodieDined on 10/13/2014Oysters are half off from 3-6pm daily. Raw bar is great quality. Vibrant atmosphere. Waits can get very long -- highly recommend making a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelairbelleDined on 10/13/2014This was our 2nd time at Old Ebbitt Grill. Unfortunately we were seated in the atrium area in the rear part of the restaurant. I would have preferred inside the actual restaurant where the atmosphere is more authentic to its theme. Disappointed that they were out of the lobster pot pie. However, love their location, less than 2 blocks to the White House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Decor, Food ....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Lovely inside and well-staffed. Very busy, reservations are a must. The food, I am sorry to say, was unimpressive. Ebbitt's of 5 years ago were some of the best meals I've had. What a shame. Great for drinks with friendsSpecial Features:
- Perfect night outAggietraveler92406Dined on 10/12/2014This placed exceeded our expectations. We made a reservation, got seated right away, our server was amazing, and the good was tremendous. Will definitely come back next time in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed my mealJoeDDined on 10/12/2014had been here for drinks before but never dinner. Meal was very good, but most notable was the service provided by out waitress, we will be back for dinner next time in DC. Restaurant was a little loud, but thats what makes it family friendly, there was a game on the tvSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014For the price of the food it could be a little better or maybe add a salad to each meal.
- 69th AnniversaryDavidKDined on 10/12/2014We took my in-laws, who are in their 90s, to Old Ebbitt Grill to celebrate their 69th anniversary. The staff was incredibly gracious and accommodating, and brought out a wonderful dessert as an unexpected surprise at the end of the meal. They made it a truly special occasion.Special Features:
- Entrees with a twistjayneleeDined on 10/12/2014Food was wonderful. We had brunch at Old Ebbitt's and enjoyed Eggs Benedict over crab cakes, French toast filled with sausage and wrapped with bacon. Everything a little different and great. Service very accommodating.Special Features:
- Great place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Great place to eat right across from the treasury building in downtown D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must do dinner place in DCSpecialgranDined on 10/11/2014The "special" the night we were there was Lobster! Fantastic!! This is my fav place in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.