Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 2nd Annual Brewhaha on Friday, August 22, 2014
20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1388 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (498)great for lunch (485)special occasion (474)hot spot (411)good for groups (410)vibrant bar scene (408)fit for foodies (387)great for brunch (286)kid-friendly (223)romantic (208)late-night find (196)notable wine list (165)scenic view (57)great for outdoor dining (17)Show More
- Historial Comfort FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Old Ebbitt is a great historic spot to dine if you are in the mood for big plate, comfort food. We sampled some of the seafood and pasta dishes. Everything was good - nothing to rave about. It's the building and busy happy hour crowd that make the restaurant. Service was good, prompt and friendly and the restaurant, although gigantic, has a cozy feel about it.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Food was perfectly cooked! service was awesome and the place is very comfortable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before the theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Fast service and great food. Will stop back next theater engagement.Special Features:
- Great pre-theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our early dinner. Steak was perfect and trout was very very good. Service could not have been better.Special Features:
- Wonderful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014My family had a wonderful Sunday brunch at the Old Ebbitt Grill. Very attentive service, beautiful interior, great food. Overall, a really lovely experience.Special Features:
- Good food, only fair serviceGIanlucaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was good overall. We ordered two appetizers (pork belly tacos and grilled oysters), both of them were great. Entree was a steak and one crab cake, both very good; crab cake was a little on the dry side. Dessert (some walnut bourbon pie) was just fair, you couldn't really taste the bourbon and the crust could have been flakier; nothing bad, but nothing to really remember. Service was really just fair: the waitress was extremely distant, not really too interested in helping us picking the best dishes.Special Features:
- Love the Old Ebbit GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We were in town for a play and ate here after the play. Even at 9:30 the Old Ebbitt Grill was very busy and people without reservations were being told it was an hour wait, so I would make reservations as we did and were seated right at 9:30. The food and the service were outstanding. I am sure that they work very hard to find the freshest ingredients for their varied as it shows in the food. This was not my first meal here, but my first review, and I will return as often as possible. There is something on the menu for everyone here. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Consistently excellent food/serviceKitty2267Dined on 9/27/2014Have been coming to this establishment over the past few years and can always count on great food and superb service. The variety in the menu will please everyone from the Fish and Chips, Crab cakes and Roast Chicken. The clam chowder was excellent a little lighter than traditional New England Clam chowder but excellent. Our service staff was well attentive and knew the menu. All in all a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One star is to muchMrChrisat830Dined on 9/27/2014Read the reviews, checked out the menu, found a night to go, booked a reservation...time for a nice meal out... I was never more wrong my life. I was there almost on time and seated right away. Derek took my drink order and an order for the clam chowder. The appetizer was tasty, and I was there enjoying the drink. I then ordered the NY strip steak. The couple of ladies seated next to me garnered much of my waiter's attention and I was ignored from this point further. Their appetizers arrived in a flash, and that goes for the dinners as well. I never saw my food. Waited 30 minutes...nothing arrived. I set a $20 under my empty drink glass and walked out. No...never again will I go.
- Old Ebbitt GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Went there as a group of 4 to celebrate a Bride-to-be. Sam was an excellent waiter and made the experience great. Food served very timely and very good. Drink list was excellent and cocktails were delish! Everyone loved their cocktail selection.Special Features:
- Great Crab CakesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had booked for the evening so had a great table out the back by the bar. Service was efficient and polite. Fish chowder for a start came in two size choices so was great to have a small starter. For a foreign diner new to crab cakes they were just superb, 99% crabmeat for a start and set on very sweet and tasty corn and small tomatoes. All melt in your mouth food. Great meal quirky private club type surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veteran customerLangdonDCDined on 9/27/2014Always a fun meal in a great setting -- brought family from out of town so they could have a genuine Washington experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambianceBirthdayDinnerDined on 9/27/2014The restaurant has wonderful, old time decor. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. The food was quite good and the service was excellent, but a little slow. It is very crowded on Sat. night and somewhat noisy. Overall though, a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A D.C. ClassicRick0526VIPDined on 9/27/2014Old Ebbitt Grill is a true classic. Located within a stone's throw of the White House (If you're really stupid), this restaurant is frenetic in its pace. The food is amazing. It is a marvel that they handle the throngs of diners who flood in nightly, but they do, and they do it with smiles on their faces. The manager, Tim greets everyone cordially and pleasantly. I only have one issue with Old Ebbitt Grill: they have decided not to serve Bushmills Irish whiskey in their bars. Tim, please look into this.Special Features:
- Wonderful variety of menu optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful location in the heart of DC. Great for friends or a quiet dinner. The menu has a wide selection. Everything was superb from the martinis, to the desserts. The staff is very friendly and eager to please and take care of every customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "shouldn't miss" spot in D.C.JohnWVIPDined on 9/27/2014Went there for brunch on a Saturday while weekending in D.C. Wonderful setting near White House with old time comfortable elegance. Very good food with superb service. Rueben sandwich was best I've ever had (and, I've had quite a few). There is no valet service (as advertised) at noon for this busy restaurant in a busy location. So,be sure to make a reservation and allow ample time to locate parking.Special Features:
- Dear l'odeur EbbittGoltraneDined on 9/26/2014The expansion of the Restaurant into the atrium destroys the Old Ebbitt experience. Food remains a good value. Service pleasant but not that fast, maybe part of the problem if sitting in the periphery I.e. AtriumSpecial Features:
- Bad tableGloRoDined on 9/26/2014We were very disappointed with the table we were given. Even though I made the reservation over 3 weeks before we were given the worst table in the entire restaurant. We had to ask to be moved. I felt we should have been given a better table since we had booked so early. Open table must not have any clout at this place
- anniversary dinnergoodandcheapDined on 9/26/2014Me and my wife came for our 2nd anniversary, we live on the eastern shore of Maryland so we wanted to get out of town. It was recommended from a friend so we went. The atmosphere was average, we were stuck in the rear corner of the restaurant in a room which had about 10-12 booths around the outside and a couple tables in the middle. The middle table was so close to our booth that we felt like we were eating at their table. The food was average, i had the new york strip my wife had their "famous" crab cakes. It seems like a good spot for your frequent good priced dinner, not anything i would ever go out of my way for again. The waiter was great and accommodated my wife and her unique taste for wine and allowed her to taste several wines.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Great DC dining experience. Food & service was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you must, stick to the basicsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/25/2014We chose the Old Ebbitt more because of its location than past experiences dining there. Unfortunately, the dining experience hasn't improved since the last time we ate there. One of our party felt the Tuna salad was the worst they had ever had and they have it virtually everywhere we go. The clam chowder was potatoe soup and not good potatoe soup at that, the pieces of spud were suspended in something that resembled library paste in texture and taste. The Calimari was a bit chewy and had picked up some strange flavor from the oil it was fried in, at least I hope that's where it got it. The members of our party that had hamburgers or salads were happier with their selections. The service, other than difficulty getting the bill, was good.
- Historic Gem in the City!Travelingtime22Dined on 9/23/2014Great steak and seafood place with an old saloon/supper club feel! Definitely a must visit when in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Lunch Special!Hard2pleaseDined on 9/23/2014I have always been impressed by the quick and professional service of Old Ebbitt Grill. My most recent visit was for lunch and the waitress recommended the meatloaf special, which I tried, and it was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!AllanDined on 9/22/2014We ate last week at Old Ebbitt Grill. It far exceeded our expectations. The food and wine were great! The atmosphere was interesting and the place was mobbed. We liked it so much we returned again to another wonderful meal two days later. This is my idea of what a restaurant should be.... affordable, good food, an abundance of nice reasonably-priced wine in an historic and exciting setting! What's not to like! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2travelDined on 9/22/2014I believe the place was much better in years past. The noise level is very loud, so beware. Had dinner reservation and our party of 3 was sat at a table directly next the back bar. It was so loud we could not carry a conversation and had to be moved. The food was just so so. Steak was overcooked and overpriced for what you get, and the crab cakes just ok . Again it use to be much better. The restaurant is very pretty inside and location awesome.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014We went for dinner and had a wonderful experience. The atmosphere was nice and about the only negative was that the tables were packed in pretty tight, so you could not help but hear the conversations next to you. The food was excellent and our server was gracious, polite, and attended to us very well. I would recommend to anyone for a special occasion meal.Special Features:
- Service very poor. Food not greatAdventurerDined on 9/22/2014the restaurant was not busy but service was slow and poor. The drinks we were served were poor quality. The food tasted good but presentation wasn't given attention. I ordered oysters and specified that they were to be my main course. They delivered my oysters before my friends food was ready. We did not have complete place settings and no one noticed. Lots of servers and few patrons but we had low level attentiveness. Nothing to make me return for more.
- Dinner after symphonyfathersdaydinerDined on 9/21/2014Went here after symphony, it's was very delicious. Our waitress was a bit slow getting to us, but as we were indecisive, we were not upset. Our table started with the calamari which was very tasty. I got the Atlantic salmon, which was cooked perfectly. Overall we were very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters on the half shellviperDined on 9/21/2014I have had awsome oysters before, but I was blown away by what Ebbitt's Grill offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChuckDined on 9/21/2014I have been to Old Ebbitt over a dozen times and the quality has gone down from what it was. Great atmosphere and history but they need to work on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and knowledgeable staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The waitress was eager to make a recommendation for wine, based on our type of food and seemed very confident. I considered it low hassle, but she was always around to ensure our drinks were filled. Never felt pressured to order or leave. Highly recommended for many different types of dining, because of the variety of patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardRichVDined on 9/20/2014Absolutely wonderful in all respects...service, atmosphere, food quality/taste, and value. The lobster and calamari are musts...they almost melt in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 9/20/2014My husband and our two young adult children all had a wonderful dinner on a Saturday night in D.C. The restaurant is filled with U.S. historical artifacts and the service was great. The calamari appetizer (could have been an entrée) was delicious as were the crab cakes. Can't wait to go back and try everything else on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentryckpenDined on 9/20/2014This is a very popular, bustling place within walking distance of the White House. My husband and I went for our anniversary dinner and enjoyed the historic feel but I would not recommend it for romance. It is very noisy and close quarters. The menu had an large selection but not overwhelming. We both had the crab cakes which were excellent. The staff was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- great place to take visitorsmarinadelrayDined on 9/20/2014we've pretty much only come w/ visitors and everyone is always in awe of this lovely little place. great vibe, wonderful service. make reservations in advance, use the valet parking.Special Features:
- Great seafood/raw barBookMom1999Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I have long enjoyed travelling to Annapolis and enjoying oyster shooters and other raw bar treats. But with three kids we don't often have the time to go across the bridge. A friend told us about Old Ebbitt Grill, which we were both familiar with but didn't know they featured a raw bar. We ordered the Orca Platter, a smorgasbord of oysters, shrimp, clams, crab legs and lobster. It was FABULOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDbf22VIPDined on 9/20/2014We were late from our at the Capitol and it was no problem at all. The staff, our server and most importantly the food. ... Were fantastic , can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must-do in DCBruceDined on 9/20/2014Took our cousins for a tour of DC. Lunch at the Ebbitt was a dining high point during our stay. Great food, good service, got in at our reserved time and wonderful ambiance. We'll do dinner next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service and foodScheepsDined on 9/19/2014Service terrible, food not good quality. Appetisers forgotten and then charged for. Waiter came once to the table in about 40 minutes , so we could not order more drinks. Food really disappointing
- Service was disappointingAallbbDined on 9/19/20141st night, 1st restaurant. We were early so we sat in the bar to wait for our table. We got the wine list and ordered a nice bottle of wine. $100 range. The bartender wouldn't let us transfer our tab so we paid for it at the bar. When we got our table, our server saw we had our wine already, gave us menus and never came back. He waited on the surrounding tables. 20-30 mins later, we asked for another table. After getting seated again, the manager stopped by to find out what happened because he wanted to make sure the employee could handle the tables he was given. Not apologetic to us at all. Crab cake was awesome but Oyamel, Legal, Capital Grill and Hamilton had far better service and food overall.