Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 2nd Annual Brewhaha on Friday, August 22, 2014
20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1391 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (496)neighborhood gem (494)special occasion (482)hot spot (402)good for groups (400)vibrant bar scene (400)fit for foodies (384)great for brunch (299)kid-friendly (231)romantic (203)late-night find (184)notable wine list (162)scenic view (59)great for outdoor dining (16)Show More
- great oysterslove2eatDined on 9/18/2014Great after work tavern like with good food and reasonable prices. Oysters are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Washinton favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014This was our second time to the Olde Ebbitts Grill; the first time we happened upon it with our at that time 7 after an exhausted walk around DC. This time it was no accident as we were enchanted the first time. My wife and I arrived late in DC on a business trip excited to dine there after a long day commute. It was superb; my soft shell crab with grits and corn was the best I have ever had. My wife had the crab cake which was also superlative; great and generous lump meat with just a little delicious filling. Started with fresh oysters.... DivineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster and oysters!!KlassmannDined on 9/17/2014We had a great time at Old Ebbitt and the food was amazing. We had lobster and beers for a very reasonable price!Special Features:
- Hospitable and charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014I love Old Ebbitt. Always have. The staff is very warm and accommodating even when I have to wait 30 minutes for my delinquent date! The food is generally good. This time, though, the calamari was a little suspect. Still - a Washington staple!Special Features:
- Clyde's Old Ebbit GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Thank you for providing a very nice dinner date evening. The lobster dinner and dessert were memorable. The table service, host staff and bar service for our short wait for our table was top rate! OEG is best in DC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014I have been going to Old Ebbitt for 30 years and it just keeps getting worse. It is now a total tourist trap. The service was horrible and the food was mediocre at best.
- ClassiccogirlDined on 9/16/2014Old Ebbitt always provides great service and food for a reasonable DC price. Reservations strongly recommended, even for weeknights. The lobster pot pie was awesome and the crab cakes were so fresh.Special Features:
- Old comfortable pair of shoesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014I hadn't been to Old Ebbitt Grill in two years. When returning it was like coming home again. As always the foood and service were outstanding.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceSweetMADined on 9/15/2014I can count on The Old Ebbitt grill to deliver a consistently good meal whenever I dine there. This is a great spot to take visitors - love the seasonal items on the menu!Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/15/2014We have dined here many times and have never been disappointed. From the Service staff, the venue and its beautiful paintings to the outstanding cuisine. Always a favorite place for family, friends and co-workers to meet and enjoy.Special Features:
- Food was horrible...ambiance rulesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014Planned a birthday dinner for a coworker during our recent visit. They acknowledged her birthday immediately and also brought her a personalized dessert at the end of our otherwise in impressive meal. The crab cakes are the safest order on the menu. Delicious and actually full of crab! Negatives: Lobster tail served saturated with bodily fluids making it really disgusting to look at or taste. Meatball sliders were supposed to be hot but were served COLD. If it wasn't for the ambiance I wouldn't return but it's still great service and affordable prices across the street from the White House. A great spot to have a drink and usually a great place to grab a bite. I won't give up in it next time in in DC but I'm disappointed with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Old Ebbitt Grill. The food was very good and our server, Cody, was extremely knowledgeable about the wine, food and desserts. We relied on his recommendations and we were not disappointed. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh oysters & crab claws2xMomVIPDined on 9/14/2014Visited for breakfast and dinner. Both excellent! Recommend corned beef & poached eggs (Breakfast) and the oysters if lunch or dinner. Dress up; we were dressed down and they still took us in. No snooty waiters here. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gregg BDineNeatDined on 9/14/2014We were stuck in traffic, called and said we had an open table reservation and would be 30 minutes late...they said no worries, just get here when you can. Service was very courteous and attentive and the did was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceLocalFoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed our Anniversary dinner here with a host of raw bar items. The quality of the seafood was, for the most part, the best we have had in the city. The architecture is grand and the service impeccable, however many fellow diners are overly casual, creating an off-putting atmosphere. But don't let that keep you from excellent food and discreet yet friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DC EstablishmentFoodieFemmeDined on 9/13/2014Consistently good food and oysters to die for. The menu is not overly complicated, high energy feeling. Fun to take out of town guests. Definitely should be on your list to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodJkimDined on 9/13/2014They gave us a cake on the house because it was out two year anniversary! The service was great! The oysters was so delicious! Wish we came in for the oyster happy hourSpecial Features:
- PamsBdayEventDined on 9/13/2014Enjoyed wife's birthday. Food great, wine was fantastic, service was outstanding. Unique clientel, everything from wedding party to sight-seers off the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- historic site, still wonderfulcookbookjunkieVIPDined on 9/13/2014We love eating under the gaze of Teddy Roosevelt's stuffed big game in the classic dark wood bar. Martini's come to the table still in their shaker - very cold. The fresh seafood is always good and the raw bar includes crab claws and shrimp for those who don't want the raw oysters. Local cheese pate also makes a good starter with peach compote and toasted raisin bread. The 1 1/4 lb steamed lobster is a bargain, but we went for the lobster pie with parmesan mashed potato crust and were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Ebbitt GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Absolutely outstanding service throughout! Reservations are a must on the weekends, but easily made. Maine lobster special was truly a bargain for a perfectly prepared 1 1/4 pound lobster. Highly recommend both the lobster and lobster pie.Special Features:
- Wonderful AmbianceTassieDined on 9/13/2014A late lunch proved very good, and the restaurant was still full. Our waitress was delightful (Deb), and the food and drinks good.Special Features:
- Great locationJZimanVIPDined on 9/13/2014Waiter seemed like he could take it or leave it-really only negative. Otherwise, lobster potpie good. Very crowded and loud.
- Undercooked foodPinkyPantherDined on 9/12/2014I've been to Old Ebbitt Grill several times and have always been pleased with food. I always get the Trout Parmasean with mashed potatoes and spinach - and its always good. Except for my last visit. The trout was barely cooked thoroughly and the mashed potatoes were running. The mashed potatoes were sooooo bad, I could not push them aside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe too crowded Friday night?DocMom2nanaDined on 9/12/2014Usually very much enjoy this restaurant. Had been my favorite. This visit though, the food was great but the service was not very good and the noise level was annoying. Expect it was just a bad night, because usually this is my favorite restaurant in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service great, food mehATLmomDined on 9/12/2014Great location right by the white house if that is on your list of things to see while in DC. Old Ebbitts is a historic spot and worth visiting. I heard folks in the ladies room raving about the house made pasta and had insta-regret that I didn't order that. My husband ordered the seared tuna and it was tough, as was my lobster. The service was really great though and so was the vibe of the place. I would go back, but would steer very clear of all things seafood!Special Features:
- The waiter "J" was awesome!ShanomarDined on 9/12/2014Great service, food ok, drinks not so great. Ordered an Old Fashion, came in wrong type of glass, too watered down. 2nd order, captain Morgan & diet coke couldn't taste the capt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatLambsharkDined on 9/11/2014Always feel like we are visiting an old friend here. Food and service are always outstanding.Special Features:
- Always Great FoodVegas2DCDined on 9/11/2014You have to have the crab cakes and the notable pasta dish. I don't even eat seafood and always have a crab cake - like no other place. Fantastic food and service.Special Features:
- Great Business Dinner SpotMarkDined on 9/11/2014This is a great place to take out of town business guests. The service is efficient, classy, up scale. The food is spot on with good variety. The drinks are generous. the booths allow conversation even though the noise level is a bit energetic. The historical aspect is welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed..Rushed...Rushed!!!DMB1Dined on 9/11/2014We had a 7:30 dinner reservation.....by 8:30 we were walking out the door. I still had food on my fork from my appetizer when the bus boy was trying to take my plate away. When the apps. came out i specifically stated i didn't want the entrees to come to soon....well they did! Again the bus boy tried to remove my plate with food still on it...unacceptable!!! They did try to make up for the mistakes by wanting to buy us desserts or another drink but by then we had enough. On the other hand the food was very , very good and our server was pleasant. I would recommend going but don't place your entree order till you've eaten your appetizers!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The food was great, the service was great, great atmosphere, beautiful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MelibuddyDined on 9/11/2014I was 30 minutes late for my reservation, they held my table anyway and the staff even made me laugh because I felt terrible for being late!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My In-Laws Loved It!caitieckDined on 9/10/2014We took my in-laws who were visiting from Florida to dinner at Old Ebbitt. They loved it! The food was awesome - two people ordered the parmesan encrusted trout, one had the crabcake and I had the pork chop. We also had an order of calamity for the table. Everything was absolutely delicious. We weren't really drink in that evening but the wine list was great. Everything was very reasonably priced.service was stellar. I will note: we were sat at 7:45pm on a Wednesday. It was VERY loud. I am not complaining about the noise, to me it just meant everyone was having a good time. But it is something to be aware of if you are looking for a quiet meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunNancDined on 9/10/2014Noisy but a fun vibrant place to eat in Dc. An obvious historic spot that brings crowds but with reservation no problem nice serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceSandytxDined on 9/10/2014All are terrific. Wonderful selections on the menu. Courteous staff. Clean and classic type of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- breakfastDickDined on 9/10/2014The fruit plate was not worth $6. It was not worth $2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014I really respect the way Clyde's group handles reservations. One sec and you are at your table. Lobster special was awesome. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChchexplorerDined on 9/8/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal. Great food and service. I would recommend an oyster tasting plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgesthoughtsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Extremely noisy but wonderful nevertheless. Menu was extensive, prices quite modest. Wait staff very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to see and be seenBostonDinerDined on 9/8/2014When we arrived at Old Ebbitt people without reservations were lined up and being turned away in droves. The vegetable gratin was superb. I was underwhelmed by my crab cake. The service at both lunch and dinner was of the top order. The bread and butter were irresistible. They serve a lovely gruner veltliner by the glass. The food at lunch was notably better than at dinner which I think had something to do with the crowds. I would recommend a nice relaxing lunch and skip the dinner rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.