Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 2nd Annual Brewhaha on Friday, August 22, 2014
20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1444 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (513)great for lunch (513)neighborhood gem (485)hot spot (418)good for groups (394)vibrant bar scene (393)fit for foodies (380)great for brunch (330)kid-friendly (240)romantic (194)late-night find (177)notable wine list (165)scenic view (75)great for outdoor dining (13)Show More
- ExcellentzhannaDined on 8/18/2014Was not expensive and very good service! Very convenient location, walking distance to white house etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Old Ebbitt Grill seems to have been a fair choice, and seemed to have good reviews. However, the food seemed to be average, but had a good atmosphere though.Special Features:
- Old classicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014The places has a lot of history. The food is better than OK but not exceptional. Crowded and a bit impersonal as a result. Lots of tourists want to try it out. If I lived in the city I doubt I would be verity apt to think of it as a favorite.Special Features:
- Oyster Happy Hour!OzMomoDined on 8/18/2014We accidentally stumbled upon happy hour with our early dining time of 6:30pm. Half priced oysters 4-7pm! We first ordered mixed dozen... With 7min to go... We followed with another dozen of the plumper Wellfleet oysters from MA. Add an entree each and a dessert to share. We ended up paying less than $50 each (inc tax and tips) and finished in time to stroll over to wave at President Obama at the White House before the sun sets! Hahaha Couldn't get a table? Bar area is popular. They also claim to be the oldest saloon bar in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014We reserve in advance to try and we got a table in an extension of the restaurant located in the hall of an building, an ambience really poor. They serve beer without glass and forgot to bring bread to our table. Worst experience in Washington
- Restaurant week dinnerDktran31VIPDined on 8/17/2014Stopped by with a friend for dinner. The place was really busy and we arrived 10 minutes early. The service was fine, not excellent. It took about 10 minutes until our server first greeted us. I had the clam chowder, shrimp capellini and crème brûlée. The clam chowder was alright - nothing special. The shrimp capellini was pretty good. The pasta was soft yet firm and tasted better than olive garden or such. The sauce was creamy and not too cheesy which was good. It included 10 shrimps, which is better than other places I've been to. The crème brûlée was OK. It was between cold and room temperature-I generally like it more when it is heated up. From my experience, I don't see why this place is 4+ stars with 2000+ reviews.Special Features:
- horrible eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014I ordered a steak salad and asked that the steak be medium. What I got was essentially raw, only slightly brown on the outside and cold on the inside, not even warm. I could not eat it. The server was so busy (not enough staff) that the server did not return to our table until everyone had finished. The place was overcrowded, understaffed and, I assume, the cooking staff was overwhelmed. I will never set foot in the place again.
- Great food so so serviceBlblackDined on 8/17/2014This was my first time here. I made reservations about a week out for three and we were seated in the bar area with plenty of open tables in the main dining area. It appeared that our waitress was attending to too many tables so we didn’t get much attention. She passed by our table a couple of times with my wine glass empty. Great food but service needs improving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw Bar Happy Hour!ErnieDined on 8/17/2014Great value for oysters and shrimp during Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for brunchTamiDined on 8/17/2014The service was great!!!! Everyone enjoyed their meal especially the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining experience!keenspiderDined on 8/17/2014Me and my wife visited DC and it was our first time to Ebbitt. I did my research and found that it had very high ratings among people. It didn't disappoint. We went for Brunch. To start, we ordered apps, we had the oysters and tomato soup. It was ok, a bit pricey but ok. Then the wife ordered the Eggs Chesapeake and I ordered the Swordfish for our main course. Both were delicious and priced about right. Serving size is ok, enough to fill our hungry stomachs. We ended up round the $100 range and i think it is not bad. Also considering the location and ambience, i gave it 4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen closed 3 hours earlyTaramizooDined on 8/16/2014I made a reservation for a party of 9 on my birthday, which was a Saturday. We were looking for parking and some people had already arrived and were waiting outside so I called the restaurant to let them know we were just getting parking and would be in shortly. I was told that unfortunately the kitchen was about to close (3 hours early) and so they weren't seating anyone else in the restaurant. I showed up with 8 of my friends, on my birthday, at 10:30 at night when all other restaurants had closed or were about to close so we couldn't easily just go somewhere else, just to be told that the kitchen was closing. I used to really like OEG, I've been there many times for late night dinner but I will never plan on going there again.
- DC. GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Great food, ambience and location. The restaurant was nicely designed without being stuffy. Definitely a "must visit" when in Washington DC.Special Features:
- good food but long waitCherieNBDined on 8/16/2014We took a brief visit to Washington DC this past weekend, and upon discovering it was Restaurant Week, decided to go to Old Ebbit Grill for our special night out (although we ended up not ordering from the Restaurant Week menu). We proceeded to wait for everything all night - for a bottle of wine, for salad, for our entrees. When it came time to bring the bill however, the waiter was very prompt. The food was wonderful, when it arrived. The spicy sausage pappardelle was great as was the brick chicken, and a nice bottle of Shiraz (again, once we got it). Would go there again, but with trepidation. We loved the historical aspect of the restaurant which was why we chose it.Special Features:
- Old Ebbitt's Grill Is Great!FoodwineisfineDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance of this restaurant combined with a great server and wonderful food makes you want to come back every time you visit Washington, DC. The New England clam chowder and entrees of trout Parmesan and Alaskan salmon were all great choices. We shared a wonderful peach cobbler finishing off a really excellent meal. I highly recommend this restaurant and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food, Terrible ServicefjbrosDined on 8/16/2014The food over all was decent. The appetizers (calamari and bruschetta) were excellent. However, the entrees were not as good. The salmon was overcooked with a tough and chewy texture. The Trout Parmesan looked like it had shifted in the deliver, as the fish was on top of the vegetables and half of the plate was empty. The service was abysmal, it took 10 minutes just for the server to initially get to our (which was fine since we got drinks from the bar). Then the server would disappear for long periods of time. When he would show up we had to request more water or drinks rather than being prompted for it. We did not get a chance to order entrees until we received our appetizers. The server also ignored my female guest.
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014This was an excellent meal. My sister and I went here after a matinee show at the Kennedy Center. They had an excellent selection of wines. We ordered the Bruschetta to start. The whipped ricotta made the dish. For entrees we ordered the single Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes (their specialty) and Cannelloni di Casa. Both excellent. Their dessert menu was the reason we selected Old Ebbitt, there is so much to choose from. We decided on the Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding and Peanut Butter Pie. We both gravitated to the bread pudding more than the pie. Service was a little slow, but we weren’t in a hurry. They were very busy at just 5pm so I would recommend reservations. I will definitely go back to Old Ebbitt Grill again.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch after Capitol TourJenakayaVIPDined on 8/16/2014After a long afternoon touring the White House and US Capitol, our group decided to splurge a bit on lunch. It was well worth it, and not too expensive. We had a dozen oysters to start, a couple of beers, and four entrees for a little over $115 with tax. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & really good foodLovetoeatDined on 8/16/2014Great service! We all enjoyed our meal. We ordered an appetizer that only serves 3 but there was 5 of us. They added two more pieces and did not charge us for it. Staff was all very friendly. Drinks were being refilled all the time, didn't rush us to get out of the place, very clean. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- DisappointingArlgaltwoDined on 8/16/2014We've been going to Old Ebbitt's for breakfast and brunch for years. I traditionally asked for the Long Island egg dish with muffin layered with spinach, oysters, scrambled eggs, and cream sauce, and cheese grits on the side. They have taken it off the menu, replacing it with a similar dish that is nowhere as good (roasted potatoes on the side). The coffee was weaker than I remembered. Perhaps more disturbing was the odd old building smell we encountered as we entered the premises for our 8:30 a.m. reservation. The interior should have been aired out prior to opening the doors to patrons. The "good" rating is out of respect for all the years the restaurant has served us.
- A must do for your DC visitMarlonVIPDined on 8/15/2014This iconic restaurant is a must do on your visit to the nation's capital. As a resident, I take out of town friends and family for a meal and they rave about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comfortableBillVIPDined on 8/15/2014Fits like an old shoe with great as ambience an food. Can't come to DC without a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC local spottexastravelerDined on 8/15/2014Great local spot in great location - nice mix of DC regulars and tourists. Menu has something for everyone….seafood, pasta, burgersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!!!JeriDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant is always busy. We got there 30 minutes early and were seated in 10 minutes. The food was on point and very good.Special Features:
- Old Ebbitt GrillDCfoodieDined on 8/15/2014The food at Old Ebbitt Grill was everything fresh and delicious. Unfortunately like all the other reviews their service was not that great which had me a little disappointed. It seems that our server was either in a rush to get out home or did not think a younger couple was worth his time - being a passed server I find this extremely rude. We did get great service from the bus boy who was always there to clear our table when our plates were empty. Despite are disappointing server Old Ebbitt was a wonderful food experience - the raw bar, the hot food, and drinks we're all amazing. The food will have me coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummySwoozinDined on 8/15/2014The clam chowder and bruschetta are some of the best I've had. Our party of five each enjoyed our meals.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week August 2014ReneeWDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed our lunch today, our server was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week SurpriseSugarVIPDined on 8/15/2014I was meeting a friend and didn't know it was restaurant week. We ordered the 3-course lunch. The peach salad was outstanding and very generous portion. Brick chicken for the main course was also good -- a little under seasoned. Creme brûlée was tasty. My friend loved her food too. And service was very good. Would have liked to have my water glass refilled.Special Features:
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Sad to see such a classic and usually reliable DC institution slide toward mediocrity. Although we had weekday lunch reservations, we got a pretty frosty reception from the host. (The gentleman in line behind me was greeted with a warm handshake, invited to step in front of us, and given a nice booth. This is just how things work at Old Ebbitt. We were just "nobodies" with a reservation. And yes, we were well-dressed.) At least the waitstaff had better manners and provided friendly and reasonably attentive service. We all ordered off the Restaurant Week menu - the pasta was clumped and clearly not properly prepared. All in all, just okay, but that seems to be the new standard at Old Ebbitt. Time to find a new favorite.
- Our food and service was amazing.BoysDined on 8/15/2014Our server was very professional in helping us on deciding our meals and wines. We were very happy with the outcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "A Must" in DC!!NaomiDined on 8/14/2014Amazing food, amazing wait staff, great place. I had the lobster and artichoke dip and the New York Strip with string beans and mashed potatoes. That's a lot of food for one person, especially me. And yes, I ate it ALL!!! I never do that. The waitress was the best. She was very personable and cool with everyone she dealt with. I enjoy that when I am dining. She made my experience that much more enjoyable. Any and every time I go back to DC, I will be at Old Ebbitt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- minimiminimiDined on 8/14/2014Awesome place! Great food and bar. Nice for catching up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstanding!FCamDined on 8/14/2014I’ve been coming to the Old Ebbitt Grill for abut 10 years now. I’ve been for lunch, dinner, drinks and special occasions. Every experience has been exceptional. Recommend reservations. If not, expect a pretty good wait. But it’s worth it!Special Features:
- Awesome mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience and the food was amazing!!!!!!Special Features:
- Oyster！！OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014IF YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO GET HERE AFTER THE WHITE HOUSE TOUR, YOU MUST TO TRY OYSTERS HRER!!! IT IS SOOOOOO FRESH AND DELICIOUS.YOU CAN NOT MISS IT.Special Features:
- Great valueLovebigmommaDined on 8/14/2014Loved the portions and the prices. You really out did yourself for rest. week. Loved the peach crumble and the pork. Can't wait until next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingFood4meDined on 8/13/2014Fantastic food and an amazing atmosphere. This has been my favorite restaurant down town DC for years now. Great drink service as well. Fantastic for visiting family or happy hour.Special Features:
- Nice mesl but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Noisy in restaurant from thr bar area. Got betterlater in evening when bar thinned out. Great liver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!LuvToEatDined on 8/12/2014Old Ebbitt Grill is always a great place to visit. The food is delectable and the service is always highly professional. The crab cakes are the best!! It's also a wonderful place for a date. It is a very romantic atmosphere, although it is a great place to bring friends and large groups. I will definitely return for more crab cakes and deletable wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Bad serviceLupinscaDined on 8/12/2014The food is good. Unfortunately we had a bad service from the first male waitress that serve us. So this affect the whole experience. Wont come back thanksSpecial Features: