Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1383 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (517)great for lunch (479)special occasion (478)hot spot (465)good for groups (451)vibrant bar scene (419)fit for foodies (402)great for brunch (283)kid-friendly (204)late-night find (198)romantic (197)notable wine list (166)scenic view (56)great for outdoor dining (17)Show More
- Too many better options in DC!MakingmehungryDined on 10/23/2014Interesting place. Amazing success for generations. Unbelievably busy and popular. But with do many awesome dining options in DC, I wouldn't recommend this one...unless you want to wait for your mass-produced un-inventive food in a place so jam-packed that the table next to you is less than an arms length aware. Stop in for a drink to see it, but head to 7th St. for much better dining options.Special Features:
- MCM weekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014My wife went to school at Georgetown so when we came down here for the MCM, this was one of the restaurants we had to eat at. We enjoyed lunch our first day here. The food was great, and the service, ambience and settings matched the food. Would strongly recommend Old Ebbitt Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Historical establishment. Excellent service. Amazing atmosphere. Food was great. Will definitely go back again when visitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchLadmantVIPDined on 10/23/2014Old Ebbitt is a staple and menu can be repdictable. But lunch last week was a fantastic autumn chopped salad with Kale, quinoa, faro, butternut squash. Excellent. I'll be back just for that...maybe a few oysters too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/22/2014Excellent food, ambiance and service. The pork shank appetizer was out of this world good! My only complaint is the tables were extrememly close together. You could not help but overhear conversations and know that yours as well was not private. Great for socializing but not a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:
- noisy, crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Adequate food, crowded. It is more a place to see than a food destination. Do and and say you've been there, but don't expect gastronomical delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night!AEBladeDined on 10/22/2014This is a must do if you are in the DC area. Food is awesome, staff is very nice, and the place is a site to see. Great whether you are having a drink or eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DC place for good foodPorfiriopicanteDined on 10/21/2014What can you say about the old Ebbitt Grill... Other then it's a great place in DC to eat lunch or late night and in between. You never know if you're going to see some politicos or celebrities creeping around. Well worth the visit to the place everyone knows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Reservations made through "Open Table" were easy; restaurant has nice ambiance; food was very good; prices were reasonable. What else would one want?Special Features:
- Historic GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014As the oldest restaurant in Washington, it would be easy for this restaurant to deteriorate into a tourist trap. It hasn't! The Old Ebbit has a great atmosphere, with what look like its original gas lamps supplemented by modern lighting, cool art, nice tables and a vibrant bar scene. The atmpshere is perfect, and the food is pretty darn good, too. All of the seafood items we had were excellent, and the prices very reasonable. This was my first time there, and I will definitely go back. This is a busy spot, so use Open Table to book a reservation unless you want to wait a while.Special Features:
- I go every time I'm in DCGatorgirl2002Dined on 10/21/2014This is my favorite restaurant in DC. I go here every time I'm in DC. I keep going back because I love the food I love the location I love the history. Great food,great service, great ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Norwegian visitorLJETDined on 10/21/2014My friend from Norway is staying in the DC area for a semester was impressed with the American food and atmosphere. The crab cakes were delicious. She said it was the best place to experience the political atmosphere right next to the White House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iowan in the big cityIowaBudDined on 10/20/2014Tables were crowded together for interesting proximity phenomena, but seating was prompt (couldn't finish my beer at the bar), waiter was professional, food was good and very timely in preparation.Special Features:
- Great!GFfoodieDined on 10/19/2014Nice that they are open until 1:00 am on Sunday night -- not even the hotel bar/lounge serving an extremely limited menu was open past 10pm! We were able to enjoy a great meanl even though our guest's flights were both changed coming into DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RCAPDined on 10/19/2014I live in Arizona. I made reservation on your Web site..........Excellent My Cousin had one meal at Clyde"s and one Dinner at Ebbitts. A treat, the food was excellent. I lived in Washington for several years and enjoyed Old Ebbitts. It is still the "place to go" in DC Thank you for two great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience.HighCountryFoodieDined on 10/19/2014Visiting DC for a few days from Colorado. I had made a 7:30 reservation and they got us seated immediately. I mean as soon as we walked in. The place was packed and we didn't wait for our table. I don't know if we were just lucky but that was awesome. We had a dozen oysters and they were superb. Our waitress was very attentive considering how busy they were. I had fish & chips for my entree and it was really good. Crispy but not over-cooked. Tender fish filets hidden inside the golden fried batter. The waitress brought malt vinegar without needing to ask about it. That's a nice touch. Be sure to try the Blondie Sundae for dessert. Wow is all I can say. You must try it to understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014This was my 3rd time this year and the 1st time I was disappointed with the service at Old Ebbitt Grill. Although it was dinner time and very busy the waitress kept disappearing. When she did show up she seemed stressed and it made us feel uncomfortable. The food took a while to arrive but it was very good. I will definitely give it another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ebbitt Grill reservation concernDisappointed2014Dined on 10/19/2014When making reservations make sure you ask to sit in the restaurant . We didn't and were put out in the building courtyard which was noisy and had no atmosphere which is why we went. Our main course arrived at our table less than 5 minutes after our appetizers were served. Would recommend going there for the history and ambience as long as you are actually on the restaurantI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal near the White HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/19/2014WE had a wonderful dinner here. Reservations for dinner are a must. Tables are tightly packed together. Service was very good and food great and well presented.
- Overrated unfortunatelyPrincessG27Dined on 10/19/2014I was so excited to finally go but I won't be back.
- Great brunch!KristinaDined on 10/19/2014Reserved brunch here on a whim for 5 people, but then needed extra space for more people and they upgraded us to a banquet style table without a problem. They were pleasant to deal with, great service, fantastic food. I (along with most of the other guests I was with) had the Eggs Chesapeake (crab cake eggs Benedict) and it was delicious. Location right next to the White House is also convenient. Will be returning here one day, and I definitely recommend this restaurant. Also, I would suggest making reservations in advance (especially for brunch) just in case!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unqualified Service StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014Had brunch there two days ago. Extremely busy. We had a reservation and were seated immediately. Food was very good. Unfortunately our server was either very overwhelmed, not trained or a a combination. Sat for a long period before he came by. Didn't know the menu, messed up our orders, appetizers came out at the exact same time as entry. He disappeared for long stretches of time throughout brunch. Spoke to manager who didn't really seem to care at all. Complete lack of customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consideration!greattimeDined on 10/19/2014The Old Ebbitt Grill was very crowded as it always is. Even though the other members of my party of 5 were 45 minutes late, they seated me right at 11:00. The server was wonderful - she served me my coffee and kept saying "no worries" because the other members of my group were so late! I was very impressed with her. The food - as always - was great.Special Features:
- Will ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Can't beat a great location, great atmosphere and awesome food. Came for Sunday brunch - highly recommend making reservations as the place was packed. Service took time but we were engaged in lively conversation so we didn't mind. When the food finally arrived, I had to send my eggs benedict back for being overcooked and the turn-around time for a fresh plate was quick. I was in town for Parents Weekend so my girls and I were enjoying the morning just catching up. Service was friendly and the manager apologized for the overcooked meal. Overall, the experience is worth a repeat.Special Features:
- Great DC spotMasterCephusDined on 10/18/2014I go here everytime I come to DC. Great location being a block from the whitehouse. The place is always packed and the food is great! Always get the Clyde's Chili!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip for oysters only.PatayDined on 10/18/2014We made a reservation and it was needed. The restaurant is very popular with both tourists and locals, which I can only guess is because of the lovely ambience and proximity to attractions. We went for the half-price raw oysters which were absolutely delicious and worth the visit. I am sorry to say, however, the rest of our meal was only fair. The Crab Cake was a dry, Meatloaf was tasteless and the French Dip was chewy. The side dishes were not good either. The good news is the service was wonderful and the atmosphere charming.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Poor Service;So so foodBillnBarbVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have been to Old Ebbit Grill several times and each time over the past few years the quality of the food and service has gone down hill. The people next to us were seated at the same time (and different waiter) and were finished, paid their bill and gone before we received our meals. It was busy and perhaps our waiter was overwhelmed but poor service is poor service. The sweet potato fries were cold and I notice the table next to us also sent there fries back. I get better crab cakes (more lump meet and less filler) at my local VFW. I believe their business relies on its name and past reputation. Tables are too close and the noise level so high that you need to raise your voice to be heard above the din.
- Birthday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Fantastic oysters and clams. Riot burger was interesting. Server was not friendly, didn't smile...put a damper on things when he did come by the table--which wasn't often.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014Old Ebbitt Grill is a go-to place for brunch or any other occasion. You can depend on the food & service being good.Special Features:
- Still great !Murray32Dined on 10/17/2014We always try to eat here when I'm Washington. Was able to dine with grandson on Friday where we had dined with his mother 25 years ago. Still perfect ! Best crab cakes , pasta and chicken nuggets. Make reservations !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go there when in DC.HawkeyeDined on 10/17/2014Great place, lots of history, been in business since 1850 something. Unbelievable food, best crab cakes ever, I had the steak it was perfect. Fun bar, great service, good beers on tap. A must when in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalvertShelbyDined on 10/17/2014Food was great, the service we had was a little slow initially but then improved. We visited on a Friday and it was very noisy as it was quite busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WH lunchDCtouristDined on 10/17/2014Great place for post White House tour lunch. Close, nice, and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch ExperienceScar007Dined on 10/17/2014The restaurant was crowded but very nice. The service was very good and the trout was excellent and melted in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014The food is always great, and the service was impressive given the ridiculous amount of people in there at lunchtime.Special Features:
- jsbachDined on 10/17/2014The food and ambience are great. The service is usually excellent, though on this occasion the server was not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful breakfast placepoppoDined on 10/17/2014I have been to this grill a number if times but always for dinner. I was not aware of this restaurant's typical, yet great breakfast menu. Very friendly staff. I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedJoel6589Dined on 10/16/2014We ate at the Old Ebbits Grill on the recommendation of our daughter. We had a reservation and the wait was not long but the lobby was like Grand Central Station the revolving door hardly ever stoped. The waiter took our drink order then came back with my wife's drink and asked me what I wanted strike one. Then he took our dinner order never saw him again until the food was delivered by the way I ordered a cup of clam chowder it wasn't brought before my meal strike two. When I mentioned it to him he immediately went and got it and said it was on the house. I was already finished with my meal and the plate was gone strike three. The food was good not great the service was not good I would not recommend The Old Ebbits Grill.Special Features:
- A Classic PlaceBillVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great meal, great service. Our first time there, very busy at 5:30pm, still everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Old Gem in DCdagreates01Dined on 10/16/2014Love this place. I take my family here every time they're in town.Special Features: