Old Blinking Light
9344 Dorchester St
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129Neighborhood:
Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Blinking Light
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taosrestaurantgroup.com/old_blinking_light/_about.html
- Phone: 3033469797
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call and talk to our event manager!
- Private Party Facilities: The Old Blinking Light’s "Kiva Room" offers a warm, intimate atmosphere for family gatherings, corporate events, social receptions & business luncheons. This truly unique space accommodates up to 36 people seated and up to 45 for a cocktail style reception. With private access to an outdoor patio of Colorado's beautiful front range, the Old Blinking Light is the ultimate private dining experience in Highlands Ranch. We offer our full dinner menu for parties up to 25, and special limited menus to your specifications. The Kiva Room's large screen TV is laptop compatible and is perfect for Powerpoint presentations and slideshows. There are also chalk boards and cork boards available for your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Earl Gonzales 3033469797
- Cross Street: Highlands Ranch Parkway
- Public Transit: RTD bus route has multiple transits that will get you 200 yards from the restaurant. The stop will be the town center in Highlands Ranch.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Open parking available throughout the town center with a multi level public garage directly behind the restaurant.
A word from Old Blinking Light
Whether you are looking for a relaxing lunch, family-friendly dinner or night out to enjoy excellent margaritas, the Old Blinking Light welcomes you! Named one of America’s 10 Best New Chefs by Food & Wine Magazine, Chef Joseph Wrede joins forces with owners Michael Yaccino and Nat Troy to introduce a fresh new taste to the Highlands Ranch community. Influenced by a Taos, NM background, the superb menu offers a wide range of fresh flavors and tastes. American food with a Southwest soul!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Old Blinking Light - Best Restaurants in Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree ›
Old Blinking Light reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (52)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (37)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (23)great for lunch (22)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (15)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (6)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- OBL DeliversJImDDined on 9/8/2014Great food and a vibrant room. Overpriced cocktails and a lack of a liqueur behind the bar (Drambuie) were the only downside. I have returned to this restaurant on several occasions and have always felt welcome and well taken care of.Special Features:
- Something unique in HRflyguy376Dined on 9/5/2014We were very pleased & surprised with our visit to OBL. The menu was filled with great dishes. Nice atmosphere & good service. Certainly one of the pricier options for a neighborhood restaurant, but a nice change from the usual "every town" chain restaurants. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageJonesyDined on 8/29/2014The food was average, not spectacular. Pizza was soggy, fish and chips tough. Margaritas weak.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood spotDotmaeDined on 8/28/2014It is nice to have other than a fast food restraint in the neighborhood in the suburbs.Special Features:
- Great foodPickyEaterDined on 8/27/2014The food was incredible, everyone raved about the dish they ordered. The only down side was the service, it took 15 before we even got a water glass and after asking for a desert menu it was another 15 minutes. It was really delayed and we could never locate the server if we wanted a refill. The food saved the day and I would return for that alone, hoping it was an off day for the particular server and next time we hopefully will have more prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Priced about 20% too high.69CHOWINGDOWNDined on 8/23/2014Old Blinking Light is a good restaurant. The presentations of food are impressive. The food QUALITY could be slightly better. Quantity is sufficient. Wine and drinks are way over-priced, as in most restaurants in the USA. The service was okay, but could have been improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner placeJoAnnDined on 8/23/2014The food was great and service was even better. it was a busy night but they did not skip a beat. Had a great evenig.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodCRFoodieDined on 8/23/2014This place has amazing food and great atmosphere. We travel from Castle Rock to eat here at least once a month. They also are kid friendly no mater what time of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfuljeanegenieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Dinner at Old Blinking Light is always a treat. The food - great tasting as always. Service is impeccable and efficient. Just an overall great night out.Special Features:
- Birthday partygroupeatDined on 8/19/2014Our dinner at OBL was greatly enhanced by the kind treatment we received. Great food too! Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet friendsBonapeDined on 8/16/2014Good variety of food and appetizers. The mojitos are some of the best in the metro area. Butternut squash soup was excellent. Would make this a regular place to dine.Special Features:
- CheeseyDined on 8/15/2014All the food was wonderful except the King Ranch Casserole. That seemed to be a whole package of corn tortillas with chile and cheese between the layers. Too much tortilla, not enough filling. Everything else we've ordered there has been delicious -- well-prepared and nice balance on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency PaysericslaneDined on 8/9/2014Another great experience that makes us keep coming back. Our server was attentive, but not annoying and the King Ranch enchiladas were great, as were the chips, salsa, guacamole, and queso. Drinks not bad either. Well done.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ginny731reviewDined on 7/31/2014I thought the Old Blinking Light was terrific in terms of food, ambience, location, ease to park, etc. Our server did not seem to be "committed" but she may have had too many tables. Other than that, it was superb and that will be my first choice when looking for a place for business lunch in that area in the future. I appreciate they offer inside and patio dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ExperienceBTC15VIPDined on 7/30/2014We frequent OBL and have brought multiple sets of friends to dine as well. This time, my wife and I enjoyed our dishes but our friends were disappointed by the chicken enchaladas. They thought their dishes were too cheesy and did not pack the "punch" they expected from a hatched green dish. The ambience is still great, especially for surburbia. My friend ordered a vodka martini dirty but it was beyond filthy. She had to send it back which OBL gladly made right. That is, until the bill showed up and the martini was double charged. We will continue to come back but this wasn't OBL's finest night.
- Lucky to have OBL herePDubVIPDined on 7/25/2014We are very lucky to have a restaurant of this quality and originality in our neighborhood. From a casual salad or burger or fish taco, all the way up to a great steak or grilled fish, everything on the menu at OBL is great. The ambiance is casual cool. A true gem in Highlands Ranch.Special Features:
- Unique menuSwimChick59Dined on 7/22/2014We had a nice dinner. Nice variety on the menu and the food was delicious. Huge portions. Chips were soggy, wouldn't recommend. Mussels were unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014and great, friendly service. We were glad we made reservations, it was packed inside and out on patio.Special Features:
- Food takes center stageJImDDined on 7/12/2014The food at OBL is consistently good. On my last visit I ordered the lamb sirloin with fried brussels sprouts. The combination of the two was extraordinary and my plate was clean when taken away. The noise level is high and cocktails a little pricey. I could still carry on a conversation with my friend, though. I'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OBL Going StrongImTheGManDined on 7/11/2014I finally got around to dinner at this place, after it had been on my list for ten years. I thought it was a fine dining place, which may have been why it took me so long to go. Turns out it's upscale southwestern, in a handsomely decorated open space. I had the achiote pork lion and my wife had the mahi-mahi. Both were excellent; the pork may have been slightly more excellent if they had pulled it off the fire 90 seconds earlier. A nit. Wine and beer lists are fairly extensive and moderately priced - $4 for a draw of Dale's Pale and $8 for a good house chardonnay. Service was attentive but not hover-y. Very nice.Special Features:
- Good food, varied menuBillDined on 7/5/2014The menu is broad, which isn't always a good sign. But our party of 6 had six different entrees and two appetizers and all were excellent. There is also a diverse drink menu and wine list. Our waiter was friendly and definitely knew the menu. It all made for an enjoyable evening.
- Great local restauranttom1701Dined on 6/26/2014We really enjoyed Old Blinking Light's nouveau Mexican cuisine. Delicious and unique appetizers, wonderful entrées with great sides and sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency Pays OffericslaneDined on 6/7/2014Quite a good experience. Server was attentive, but not overly so. Food was very well prepared and presented. We'll be back.
- Nonexistent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014We love OBL! We eat there on special occasions, date night, etc. Tonight was abysmal. Our waitress took 12 minutes to even stop by our table, after we were seated. It took another 15 minutes for her to bring my husbands beer and it didn't get any better. My fish tacos were good, a little heavy on the guacamole, but good. My husband's green chile fettuccine was awful! It was bland and swimming in butter. Overall, it was a bad experience. We will not go back. There are too many choices in HR, Littleton, etc to be disappointed and spend money.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/4/2014I met a friend for dinner on a weeknight. Despite having a reservation and seeing that they had open tables, we were told they were cleaning a table for us. Our waitress took awhile before coming to the table. Our appetizer reached our table prior to our drinks. And the food was so-so. We had tortilla soup, chips, salsa, guac and queso, the sweet and spicy shrimp, and a Nat's salad. The only item that was notable were the shrimp, everything else was fine, but not great. The food is definitely not worth the price paid. I won't go back.
- Good but things have changed?C2computerVIPDined on 5/31/2014Food is usually consistently good but we noticed the food was prepared different this time. Specifically, the stacked enchiladas. They were no where near as moist, no sauce (we had to request sauce on the side they were so dry), chicken was laid on plate and not in the enchiladas, could not find any creme fraiche, just disappointing for a place we love to visit and also love this entree. Going to call managers to find out of this is a fluke or not worth the drive anymore from Castle Rock. Otherwise, service is awesome and rest of food is great.Special Features:
- Always a great choice!SarahdDined on 5/24/2014Excellent food, excellent service! OBL continues to be the favorite spot for all of my family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 310 reviews are from the Old Blinking Light reviews archive.
- Another perfect experienceRichVIPDined on 5/16/2014They treat everyone as regulars - service amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Great restaurant, great service! We have always enjoyed this place and the manager of the restaurant is very cool! Good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceMattBDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner based on favorable reviews online. I would say it wasn't the best atmosphere for a romantic or private special occasion, but the food more than made up for that. We really enjoyed the fantastic happy hour specials and had a fantastic Tapas-style dinner with a delicious couple of glasses of wine. We intended to bring out friends back to OBL many times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I have always loved the ambiance. Two of our party had the Lamb sirloin they absolutely loved it nothing left on there plate. Other dish's were the New York strip and the seared pork both delicious. Vegetables great. Dessert was very good crispy banana delight. Great dinning experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every time!Where2eatDined on 5/9/2014We frequent OBL since it is in our neighborhood and it is quality food, great wine and excellent service. OBL offers tasty food on their happy hour menu too. We always see other neighbors here and feel at home when we visit. What a true gem to have a place like this so close to home! There's not another place around like it.Special Features:
- Great AmbiencekwowDined on 5/9/2014Had gone for lunch with a group of 8. They accommodated us with great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reminded me more of a barTzuMomDined on 5/5/2014Service was good. Food was good but there isn't a large selection. Reminded me more of a bar that had food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable qualitytarheelfoodieDined on 5/3/2014OBL is a reliable place to get a good meal at a fair price. It's got a casual ambiance, decent menu and a friendly staff. When you want a place that's not too fancy but a million times better than fast food, it's a great place.Special Features:
- Outstanding and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We celebrated my sons first communion and requested by the fire on the patio. It is not guaranteed, but they obviously did their best and made that happen for us. The service was great. The ambiance of the fire and the sunset was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitstaff forgot usLiketoeatDined on 5/3/2014It's a good thing my friend and I were there to chat because the waitstaff gave us plenty of time. Many excuses wee given but at the end of the day service was bad.Special Features:
- Great find!NYlawDined on 4/29/2014My first night in Denver area, and this was perfect. Fire pit was blazing outside, too cold for me tho, and a wall with a flame topper burning inside. I got there early, before 6, and it was Happy Hour. Waitress was quick to get our drink orders in and she even came back to see if we wanted to have one more round before the end of happy hour. We had the nachos with salsa and guacamole, the chile rubbed grilled salmon, and the New York strip steak. Cooked to perfection and the fish was very fresh. I would happily return, and if the chef is willing to share his recipes for the salmon dish, I would be in heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find from COSredheavenDined on 4/26/2014Food was good. Service was pleasant and accommodating for gluten-free diners and sugar-free drinkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Blinking LightDolphineVIPDined on 4/24/2014This was our first visit to Old Blinking Light. We came for the duck fat fries. As we have had duck fat fries at Michael Mina restaurants and Duckfat Restaurant in Maine which are two of the best fries in the country (see USA today article), we had high expectations for the fries. We were disappointed. They were fresh cut fries but otherwise nothing special. The fish was good and fresh. We will return but don't go there thinking the duck fat fries are anything special at this location.Special Features: