Old Blinking Light
9344 Dorchester St
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129Neighborhood:
Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Blinking Light
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taosrestaurantgroup.com/old_blinking_light/_about.html
- Phone: (303) 346-9797
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call and talk to our event manager!
- Private Party Facilities: The Old Blinking Light’s "Kiva Room" offers a warm, intimate atmosphere for family gatherings, corporate events, social receptions & business luncheons. This truly unique space accommodates up to 36 people seated and up to 45 for a cocktail style reception. With private access to an outdoor patio of Colorado's beautiful front range, the Old Blinking Light is the ultimate private dining experience in Highlands Ranch. We offer our full dinner menu for parties up to 25, and special limited menus to your specifications. The Kiva Room's large screen TV is laptop compatible and is perfect for Powerpoint presentations and slideshows. There are also chalk boards and cork boards available for your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Earl Gonzales 3033469797
- Cross Street: Highlands Ranch Parkway
- Public Transit: RTD bus route has multiple transits that will get you 200 yards from the restaurant. The stop will be the town center in Highlands Ranch.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Open parking available throughout the town center with a multi level public garage directly behind the restaurant.
A word from Old Blinking Light
Whether you are looking for a relaxing lunch, family-friendly dinner or night out to enjoy excellent margaritas, the Old Blinking Light welcomes you! Named one of America’s 10 Best New Chefs by Food & Wine Magazine, Chef Joseph Wrede joins forces with owners Michael Yaccino and Nat Troy to introduce a fresh new taste to the Highlands Ranch community. Influenced by a Taos, NM background, the superb menu offers a wide range of fresh flavors and tastes. American food with a Southwest soul!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Old Blinking Light - Best Restaurants in Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree ›
Old Blinking Light reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)great for outdoor dining (52)good for groups (44)fit for foodies (43)special occasion (24)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (21)great for lunch (18)vibrant bar scene (17)romantic (12)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food takes center stageJImDVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food at OBL is consistently good. On my last visit I ordered the lamb sirloin with fried brussels sprouts. The combination of the two was extraordinary and my plate was clean when taken away. The noise level is high and cocktails a little pricey. I could still carry on a conversation with my friend, though. I'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OBL Going StrongImTheGManVIPDined on 7/11/2014I finally got around to dinner at this place, after it had been on my list for ten years. I thought it was a fine dining place, which may have been why it took me so long to go. Turns out it's upscale southwestern, in a handsomely decorated open space. I had the achiote pork lion and my wife had the mahi-mahi. Both were excellent; the pork may have been slightly more excellent if they had pulled it off the fire 90 seconds earlier. A nit. Wine and beer lists are fairly extensive and moderately priced - $4 for a draw of Dale's Pale and $8 for a good house chardonnay. Service was attentive but not hover-y. Very nice.Special Features:
- Good food, varied menuBillVIPDined on 7/5/2014The menu is broad, which isn't always a good sign. But our party of 6 had six different entrees and two appetizers and all were excellent. There is also a diverse drink menu and wine list. Our waiter was friendly and definitely knew the menu. It all made for an enjoyable evening.
- Great local restauranttom1701Dined on 6/26/2014We really enjoyed Old Blinking Light's nouveau Mexican cuisine. Delicious and unique appetizers, wonderful entrées with great sides and sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency Pays OffericslaneDined on 6/7/2014Quite a good experience. Server was attentive, but not overly so. Food was very well prepared and presented. We'll be back.
- Nonexistent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014We love OBL! We eat there on special occasions, date night, etc. Tonight was abysmal. Our waitress took 12 minutes to even stop by our table, after we were seated. It took another 15 minutes for her to bring my husbands beer and it didn't get any better. My fish tacos were good, a little heavy on the guacamole, but good. My husband's green chile fettuccine was awful! It was bland and swimming in butter. Overall, it was a bad experience. We will not go back. There are too many choices in HR, Littleton, etc to be disappointed and spend money.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/4/2014I met a friend for dinner on a weeknight. Despite having a reservation and seeing that they had open tables, we were told they were cleaning a table for us. Our waitress took awhile before coming to the table. Our appetizer reached our table prior to our drinks. And the food was so-so. We had tortilla soup, chips, salsa, guac and queso, the sweet and spicy shrimp, and a Nat's salad. The only item that was notable were the shrimp, everything else was fine, but not great. The food is definitely not worth the price paid. I won't go back.
- Good but things have changed?C2computerVIPDined on 5/31/2014Food is usually consistently good but we noticed the food was prepared different this time. Specifically, the stacked enchiladas. They were no where near as moist, no sauce (we had to request sauce on the side they were so dry), chicken was laid on plate and not in the enchiladas, could not find any creme fraiche, just disappointing for a place we love to visit and also love this entree. Going to call managers to find out of this is a fluke or not worth the drive anymore from Castle Rock. Otherwise, service is awesome and rest of food is great.Special Features:
- Always a great choice!SarahdDined on 5/24/2014Excellent food, excellent service! OBL continues to be the favorite spot for all of my family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another perfect experienceRichVIPDined on 5/16/2014They treat everyone as regulars - service amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Great restaurant, great service! We have always enjoyed this place and the manager of the restaurant is very cool! Good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceMattBDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner based on favorable reviews online. I would say it wasn't the best atmosphere for a romantic or private special occasion, but the food more than made up for that. We really enjoyed the fantastic happy hour specials and had a fantastic Tapas-style dinner with a delicious couple of glasses of wine. We intended to bring out friends back to OBL many times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I have always loved the ambiance. Two of our party had the Lamb sirloin they absolutely loved it nothing left on there plate. Other dish's were the New York strip and the seared pork both delicious. Vegetables great. Dessert was very good crispy banana delight. Great dinning experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every time!Where2eatDined on 5/9/2014We frequent OBL since it is in our neighborhood and it is quality food, great wine and excellent service. OBL offers tasty food on their happy hour menu too. We always see other neighbors here and feel at home when we visit. What a true gem to have a place like this so close to home! There's not another place around like it.Special Features:
- Great AmbiencekwowDined on 5/9/2014Had gone for lunch with a group of 8. They accommodated us with great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reminded me more of a barTzuMomDined on 5/5/2014Service was good. Food was good but there isn't a large selection. Reminded me more of a bar that had food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable qualitytarheelfoodieDined on 5/3/2014OBL is a reliable place to get a good meal at a fair price. It's got a casual ambiance, decent menu and a friendly staff. When you want a place that's not too fancy but a million times better than fast food, it's a great place.Special Features:
- Outstanding and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We celebrated my sons first communion and requested by the fire on the patio. It is not guaranteed, but they obviously did their best and made that happen for us. The service was great. The ambiance of the fire and the sunset was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitstaff forgot usLiketoeatDined on 5/3/2014It's a good thing my friend and I were there to chat because the waitstaff gave us plenty of time. Many excuses wee given but at the end of the day service was bad.Special Features:
- Great find!NYlawDined on 4/29/2014My first night in Denver area, and this was perfect. Fire pit was blazing outside, too cold for me tho, and a wall with a flame topper burning inside. I got there early, before 6, and it was Happy Hour. Waitress was quick to get our drink orders in and she even came back to see if we wanted to have one more round before the end of happy hour. We had the nachos with salsa and guacamole, the chile rubbed grilled salmon, and the New York strip steak. Cooked to perfection and the fish was very fresh. I would happily return, and if the chef is willing to share his recipes for the salmon dish, I would be in heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find from COSredheavenDined on 4/26/2014Food was good. Service was pleasant and accommodating for gluten-free diners and sugar-free drinkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Blinking LightDolphineVIPDined on 4/24/2014This was our first visit to Old Blinking Light. We came for the duck fat fries. As we have had duck fat fries at Michael Mina restaurants and Duckfat Restaurant in Maine which are two of the best fries in the country (see USA today article), we had high expectations for the fries. We were disappointed. They were fresh cut fries but otherwise nothing special. The fish was good and fresh. We will return but don't go there thinking the duck fat fries are anything special at this location.Special Features:
- Really good!sjgoodDined on 4/23/2014The service was really great and the food was very good. It's a little pricey but no pricier than most places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Just Stopped In For SaladsDaveDined on 4/22/2014The salads were good. The server was excellent--although she didn't check on us very often, she seemed to show up at just the right time. The facility is upscale and clean, although the large open dining/bar area makes it kind of noisy. It seems to be a favorite for groups hosting meetings. The last two times I have been there, large groups were gathered around one or more of the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange name, Great place!TravellinGalVIPDined on 4/16/2014Took a friend to OBL yesterday for her birthday. The architecture there is awesome--quirky and modern and rustic all at once. The menu was extensive and everything tasted wonderful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Amazing serviceRichVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is always a consistent over the top experience. The bar and serve staff are so interested in creating a great experience for everyone. Food is very good.Special Features:
- Consistency Pays OffericslaneDined on 3/22/2014Another very positive experience. We tried the deviled egg appetizer and were quite pleased with the value for the price. We overachieved and ordered chips w/ guacamole and the portion was quite large. We managed to struggle through though. We've never really had a negative experience at OBL and will return again. Well done.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodYummyDined on 3/14/2014Pricey food options but very tastey dishes. During prime dinner hours, it is quite loud in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2-86 birthday celebrationchilegalDined on 3/8/2014First time visit and after reading reviews decided to give you a try. We needed to find a menu that would offer variety as well as a scene for a 2 year old and an 86 year old's birthday celebration. Old Blinking Light exceeded our expectations. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014My husband and I tried Old Blinking light last Saturday! We were very impressed with the service and food! Just an all around great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expected - DISSAPOINTEDRedwithanythingDined on 3/6/2014The pictures, write up and menu all make it much better than what we found. The food was anything but special and lacked real flavor. The write ups made it sound like a nice place with reasonable noise and classy southwest food. The noise was off the chart we couldn't hardly talk (yes we're 60+ and a bit hard of hearing but we can normally carry on conversation in a restaurant). The southwest food only so-so. Of the 4 of us only 1 gave a 6/10 grade for food the rest of us less <4. If you're looking for a vibrant bar scene sure but for dinner with friends to visit forget it!Special Features:
- Good and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food was good although a bit overpriced (we got a good deal with 5280) and the drink selection (non-wine, but liquor drinks) was somewhat limited and excessively expensive ($11 for one margarita?). Overall a good ambiance, but I'd go elsewhere on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedTrishDined on 2/28/2014The ambiance was nice, although it was maybe a little too dark and loud.. It's was a bit difficult to see the food on my plate. But the food and service were fabulous. I was pleasantly surprised that the food referenced a lot of New Mexican cuisine. Bring originally from New Mexico, I very much enjoyed that red chile was highlighted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver Restaurant WeekDBOLLDined on 2/26/2014Since we were doing restaurant week we didn't really look at the wine list nor the regular menu. The menu selections for restaurant for varied and we enjoyed our meals very much. The noise level was more than energetic at this restaurant....it was excessive! We wouldn't ever recommend it for a romantic or intimate dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blinking BrightBlinkingDined on 2/26/2014This was our first time at the Old Blinking Light. We went for Restaurant Week and besides the fabulous food and service. They stick true to the 5280 restaurant week and didn't up their price. It was $52.80 instead of $30 pp. We life quite a ways away from this gem, but we will definitely return! We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quickly becoming regularsBTC15VIPDined on 2/25/2014Always a good experience at OBL. We love their fried avocado, shrimp appetizer, deviled eggs, enchiladas, pork, half chicken, salmon, Taos salad, burgers, and just about everything else on the menu. Tried the queso this time which was disappointing but their creme brûlée made up for it on the back end. Four visits in five months and have not left disappointed once. One note for future patrons - the place is always packed. Make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Treat!3famDined on 2/24/2014Just thought we'd try this place , as they were participating in the Denver 5280 week. We were delightfully surprised. Service was excellent. Food was outstanding, and I'm pretty picky. Glad to have tried this little gem in the burbs.Special Features:
- Great eveningJoAnnDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed the food ,the evening and the experience. JSpecial Features:
- Girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014The server was very understanding of us taking our time. I went with a girlfriend who I had not seen in 6 months and we were leisure at best. But the server was great about it. I wish I would have looked at the menu before I booked it. It was true Mexican American and I had anticipated getting a steak. But that was my fault. The food was amazing!!!!!! And reasonably priced for what you get!Special Features:
- Date nightChristianDined on 2/14/2014Went with a small group of friends for Valentines Day. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was rad. I ordered the Mac n Cheese, it was awesome. My wife ordered fish tacos, and our friends dined on Enchiladas and lamb. All the food was great. There drinks were good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.