Old Angler's Inn
10801 MacArthur Blvd.
Potomac, MD 20854Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Old Angler's Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldanglersinn.com/
- Phone: 3012999097x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Sunday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30-9:30 pm - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: 4:30-6:30pm Tues-Friday
High Tea Tuesday-Saturday by reservation only 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Bar: Tuesday- Saturday open to 1:30 am or to last guest whichever occurs first :)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick Palermo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Let Old Anglers cater your next event. We will make your next party, whether it is a casual affair or formal an event to remember. We offer over 50 years experience that is reflected in every aspect of what we do. Call our main number 301.299.9097 and speak with our event planner. We accommodate most any budget. If you are having a small event or a large event we will provide the intimacy that is unmatched.
- Entertainment: Happy Hour $5 drinks and food. All under the stars. Fantastic sounds....great food and drink....casual fare
- Special Events: Having a special event? No better spot in Washington then the Old Anglers Inn. 8 acres of beautiful grounds right across from the Potomac river. During the winter Old Anglers is perfect with our roaring REAL fire place and old world feel.
A word from Old Angler's Inn
A most charming dining spot, the Old Angler's Inn has been immortalized in countless Washington D.C. novels as a romantic winter getaway, sitting before the fireplace and perusing the menu. It is equally glorious in the summer when the main action moves to the incomparable terrace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Old Angler's Inn - Best Restaurants in Potomac ›
Old Angler's Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (165)special occasion (109)romantic (107)neighborhood gem (84)fit for foodies (63)scenic view (55)great for lunch (54)great for brunch (46)good for groups (31)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- :)OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014We've been to this restaurant many times but this last time the food was outstanding. My husband ordered the special of the night, wild boar and I ordered the lobster. They were both very flavorful, specially the boar. The wine that was paired with our meal was excellent. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/13/2014The Old Angler's Inn is a real gem. We recommend it for any occasion that a couple considers special.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantdannsamjVIPDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food and service. A lovely wood fire in the fireplace. A great place to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!sarahleeDined on 10/13/2014Went for my b'day and loved everything. We ate inside then had dessert on the patio next to the fountain. I highly recommend and will be coming back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- informal but divineoliveDined on 10/12/2014The weather was inclement so we dined inside by the warmth of the fire; the interior was cozy and a bit rustic, but the service and settings were elegant. The menu offered a wide range of prices and genres from the $19 hamburgers two of our party enjoyed, to the $58 fish special tried by another. I had 4 large scallops with a sweet potato puree and a mix of roasted sweet potato cubes with brussel sprouts. There were dishes suitable for a vegetarian as well. We had heard the food was overrated, but they have a new chef, and our meals were excellent. We cleaned our plates but no one went home hungry. The side dishes, salads and appetizers were creative and tasty as well. We did not have room to sample the dessert menu.Special Features:
- Oldie but goodieGlobalDinerDined on 10/8/2014Not having been to this restaurant for quite some time due to previous disappointments, I am happy to report that I enjoyed dining there again and look forward to returning. The service was excellent, the food was wonderful, special requests were honored and met promptly, waiter and manager asked if all was going as expected at each step in the evening.Special Features:
- A perfect gem!OrdinaryJoeDined on 10/7/2014This was my first time at Old Angler's Inn and I felt like I had walked into a fairytale. Beautiful outside dining area and a charming bar inside with just a few tables for dining. It turned out that we could either eat outside or on the 2nd floor with the offer of a steep, winding staircase to eat upstairs. Rain made the outdoor option moot. The manager took us to another set of stairs - from the outside to the 2nd floor - and we entered a lovely dining area and were seated at a perfect table to begin a perfect evening. The food was wonderful, the service all we could have asked for, and we all agreed that next time, weather permitting, we'd love to eat outside on purpose by the lovely fountain under the sparkling lights.Special Features:
- A Delightful EveningStrathcoolDined on 10/5/2014We dined here to celebrate a sigjnificant birthday for a family member. As the evening was becoming cooler we reserved a table inside on the ground floor by the fireplace. The food was very good. Afer the appetizers we all had the fish course, which was excellent. The service throughout could not have been better. We really felt that we were treated as special guests. We strongly recommend the Old Angler's Inn for a special occasion. It is one of our facorite places for a celebration.Special Features:
- A good Sunday brunchRoxieDined on 10/5/2014We had a great brunch yesterday, French toast, mussels and frites, and omelet and sausages. Ate indoors where it was quieter than the outdoor patio. Intimate setting near the bar. People outside were enjoying the sun. The mussels were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A TREATjoanieVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have been coming here for many years and I dare say, it"s never been better. The menu offers something for everyone, from my husband's smoked salmon followed by a crab cake on a delicious bed of lentils to my creamy squash soup and chchicken Caesar salad, which was exceptionally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Geat Placesam1730Dined on 10/3/2014I highly recommend experiencing the dining atmosphere at Old Angler's Inn!!Special Features:
- Getting off track a bitIntoGoodFoodVIPDined on 10/1/2014We love this place. Under new ownership and management the food has gotten off track. Seems to be reorienting toward the comfort food and burger crowd, which is not what this setting should be about and definitely not what we are after. Let's hope you get back to fine dining, interesting complement tastes and a less heavy and ordinary dessert list.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014One of the DC's best small restaurants. Menu exceeded expectations and this place always offers great service. Outdoor dining is a nice plus if you are interested; more formal dining available inside.Special Features:
- lovely lunchedieVIPDined on 9/30/2014We took a friend to lunch here, had a lovely time, sat long after our dishes were cleared, no pressure to move on.Special Features:
- DisappointedFreshFoodieVIPDined on 9/28/2014The setting on a lovely day for brunch was unbeatable. Unfortunately the experience did not match the setting. The menu described gourmet French toast, applewood smoked bacon, and fresh fruit. I received 3 halves of soggy French toast, 1 slice of bacon!, and fresh fruit that tasted like it came from a grocery store salad bar -- unripe watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew with one! blackberry. I have had better brunches at a local diner for far less than the $15 charged here. On the other hand, the apple tatin ordered for dessert was clearly homemade and fresh. This restaurant has the ability to serve good food. They just choose to rest on the allure of their outdoor setting, at least for brunch.Special Features:
- Easy to enjoy experiencepaullinatorDined on 9/27/2014We went to Angler's for my wife's birthday. The meal was pricey for us, so my expectations were high and I tend to be a critic. However, we left very happy with our food and experience. Service was spot on, and the outdoor patio provided a pleasant setting. The food didn't knock our socks off, but it was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They earned an A this timeLLV2VIPDined on 9/26/2014Sometimes the service at Old Anglers is "spotty". This time, it was outstanding and consistently so all evening. I took my future daughter in law to dinner and it was her first time at Old Anglers and she fell in love with the place. A late September evening for dinner outside, heat lamps making it wonderful to enjoy outdoor dining. Foie Gras and Caesar salad starts were excellent. My scallops and her meatballs were delicious and we shared a crème brulee for dessert. Wines by the glass were more than passable. Because they carded my 25 year old FDiL, which was a bit embarrassing, they brought two tawny ports to the table with our desserts on the house. It was "sweet" to do so and a perfect sweet end to finish our evening. Nice job!Special Features:
- davidthedinerDined on 9/20/2014We had not been to Old Angelers for 20 years..... boy have we been missing a real DC gem. We dine out about once a week. We went to Old Angelers for a B Day. We were VERY Impresd with the service. Better than ANY nice restaurant we have been to in a long time. We will be back in 2015. Thank you for a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!CrazeeebabyVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is a great place to eat outside when it is nice. Wonderful ambience, great service and food. Perfect location for lunch or dinner before or after a hike along the canal.Special Features:
- Wonderful after all these years!ShortBeaufortVisitDined on 9/19/2014My first visit in 15 years, and Old Anglers is relaxed, special and just marvelous. The enthusiastic young owners have maintained the best, and even enhanced the experience. Year round, the place is lovely. Especially wonderful: sit on the terrace outside in good weather (summer). In winter, the best is on the main floor by the fireplace. Glad to be back!Special Features:
- Great food, and better service!MizvizDined on 9/19/2014We went early on a lovely Friday night, and sat outdoors on the patio. The service was top notch from our first cocktail to the ending dessert of excellent creme brûlée. Many of us got the harvest salad, and the fabulous short ribs, really delicious. The vibe started out quiet and romantic, but as the evening went on, the place was hopping! Lots of celebrations, but also intimate tables for two. They had great patio heaters, so sitting outdoors perfect! Our water glasses were always filled, and dining pace was perfect. Enjoyed this new version of a great classic place. One reminder, it is near the Potomac, and if you attract Mosquitos like I do, don't forget some bug spray. No one else in our party complained but they found me!Special Features:
- Romantic eveningAdventurerDined on 9/18/2014Beautiful evening for outdoor dining right next to the fountain. Food and service were fantastic as usual. Highly recommended for a special occasion or romantic evening.Special Features:
- Lunch on the patioRagnaDined on 9/17/2014Wonderful lunch, and fabulous service… Wonderful to get back to the Old Angler's..Special Features:
- Washington institutionKristinaDined on 9/16/2014Old Anglers has been around for a while and the food is still quite good (don't forget to order dessert!). Nice wine list and great service and you can't beat the outdoor venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for C&O Canal HikersNewOldAnglersDined on 9/15/2014Old Anglers has always been a great location for hikers, but now the food and service are great too. We parked in their lot, with a dashboard note saying we had a dinner reservation, and hiked the Canal all day, then ate outside at a peaceful table by the fountain. Tomato panzanella salad beautiful; kale + greens + corn salad delicious. Excellent hamburger and soft shell crabs (liked the big slices of yellow tomato but not so much the mushy anise green). Tasty beer and Malbec. Service friendly but very professional. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still a winner2leosVIPDined on 9/14/2014We hadn't been to the Old Angler's Inn for several years just due to schedules, but on a recent sunny Sunday afternoon, we were pleased to find that it is still charming, with good food and reliable service. We love the terrace, and on a rainy, wintry day, the interior is wonderfully cozy. We'll come back much sooner this time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!joanieVIPDined on 9/14/2014It is always a pleasure to be here...my husband enjoyed delicious halibut served on a bed of interesting vegetables, while I stayed with my favorite cheeseburger. The just-extensive-enough menu has something for everyone, including the always delicious crème brulee for dessert. Service is great - just a charming, unique place.Special Features:
- Great Food & Service - I'd go back!DeniseDined on 9/7/2014I went for Sunday brunch and I def enjoyed my smoked salmon appetizer and the crab cake entrée. I do wish they had more/different dessert selections, but overall I enjoyed my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2014best thing is the outdoor ambiance - food is fine, service too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014Always wanted to try, and went to celebrate a special family occasion. The restaurant was *way* too hot and humid; the service didn't have the rhythm you would expect; cocktails and food very overpriced for the quality. The location is wonderful, the experience was not. Certainly not worth the money and will choose another venue for the next celebration.
- Wonderful CelebrationStarDined on 8/30/2014We were celebrating a home sale in the neighborhood. It was perfectSpecial Features:
- Great Dining!RandyVIPDined on 8/30/2014This was our first time to OAI and we'll be back. Everything was quite nice, from the outdoor table on a perfect night to the service and food. We split a salad and an appetizer, and that was no problem for the restaurant. Both were different and quite tasty: a peach salad and a duck confit linguini dish. Main courses, duck breast and filet were both prepared perfectly and very tasty. The place is quite popular, apparently. Valet parking was helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Received main course one hour and forty minutes after seating. My meal (chicken) was significantly was undercooked and am expensive peach salad was underwhelming. Peaches were tasteless at the height of the season. In return, we're given a gift credit which we will never use. However, they did not charge for undercooked dish and provided desert on the house. Waiter was friendly and apologetic.Special Features:
- FabulousStarDined on 8/28/2014Salmon and lobster were perfect. Service couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- New chef has stepped it upLittleDaveyDined on 8/26/2014Old Angler's Inn has always been a great choice for dining al fresco. The ambiance is so superb that one could overlook the capable but largely uninspired menu. Pleased to say that the ambiance is still best in class but the dining has greatly improved. Kudos to the new chef for freshening up the menu without straying too far from the comfort zone of the customer base.Special Features:
- richl705VIPDined on 8/25/2014Excellent food and service. We go quite often and have everything to be better than most high end restaurants and less expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with an old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Thank you for an excellent experience ! We really enjoyed the food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change your wine policyMBushVIPDined on 8/21/2014Very nice outdoor atmosphere. Food was good but service was just ok. They do not allow you to bring your own wine. They need to change this policy before I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place on a summer eveningDinerVIPDined on 8/20/2014Four of us ate outdoors in the lovely patio. A salad of heirloom tomatoes was wonderful, and the soft shell crabs were perfectly prepared. Others had various fish dishes, equally well prepared. The wine list is short, inexpensive by DC standards, and quite good. A wonderful place for a leisurely meal on a summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable dinnerDCVisitorVIPDined on 8/19/2014Being able to dine outdoors here is a real treat. It was ver peaceful. They did a great job of making my husband's birthday special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.