Old Angler's Inn
10801 MacArthur Blvd.
Potomac, MD 20854Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Old Angler's Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldanglersinn.com/
- Phone: 3012999097x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Sunday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30-9:30 pm - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: 4:30-6:30pm Tues-Friday
High Tea Tuesday-Saturday by reservation only 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Bar: Tuesday- Saturday open to 1:30 am or to last guest whichever occurs first :)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick Palermo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Let Old Anglers cater your next event. We will make your next party, whether it is a casual affair or formal an event to remember. We offer over 50 years experience that is reflected in every aspect of what we do. Call our main number 301.299.9097 and speak with our event planner. We accommodate most any budget. If you are having a small event or a large event we will provide the intimacy that is unmatched.
- Entertainment: Happy Hour $5 drinks and food. All under the stars. Fantastic sounds....great food and drink....casual fare
- Special Events: Having a special event? No better spot in Washington then the Old Anglers Inn. 8 acres of beautiful grounds right across from the Potomac river. During the winter Old Anglers is perfect with our roaring REAL fire place and old world feel.
A word from Old Angler's Inn
A most charming dining spot, the Old Angler's Inn has been immortalized in countless Washington D.C. novels as a romantic winter getaway, sitting before the fireplace and perusing the menu. It is equally glorious in the summer when the main action moves to the incomparable terrace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Old Angler's Inn - Best Restaurants in Potomac ›
Old Angler's Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (199)romantic (132)special occasion (123)scenic view (86)neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (69)great for lunch (67)great for brunch (66)good for groups (34)notable wine list (26)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- Great Dining!RandyVIPDined on 8/30/2014This was our first time to OAI and we'll be back. Everything was quite nice, from the outdoor table on a perfect night to the service and food. We split a salad and an appetizer, and that was no problem for the restaurant. Both were different and quite tasty: a peach salad and a duck confit linguini dish. Main courses, duck breast and filet were both prepared perfectly and very tasty. The place is quite popular, apparently. Valet parking was helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Received main course one hour and forty minutes after seating. My meal (chicken) was significantly was undercooked and am expensive peach salad was underwhelming. Peaches were tasteless at the height of the season. In return, we're given a gift credit which we will never use. However, they did not charge for undercooked dish and provided desert on the house. Waiter was friendly and apologetic.Special Features:
- FabulousStarDined on 8/28/2014Salmon and lobster were perfect. Service couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- New chef has stepped it upOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014Old Angler's Inn has always been a great choice for dining al fresco. The ambiance is so superb that one could overlook the capable but largely uninspired menu. Pleased to say that the ambiance is still best in class but the dining has greatly improved. Kudos to the new chef for freshening up the menu without straying too far from the comfort zone of the customer base.Special Features:
- richl705VIPDined on 8/25/2014Excellent food and service. We go quite often and have everything to be better than most high end restaurants and less expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with an old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Thank you for an excellent experience ! We really enjoyed the food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change your wine policyMBushVIPDined on 8/21/2014Very nice outdoor atmosphere. Food was good but service was just ok. They do not allow you to bring your own wine. They need to change this policy before I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place on a summer eveningDinerVIPDined on 8/20/2014Four of us ate outdoors in the lovely patio. A salad of heirloom tomatoes was wonderful, and the soft shell crabs were perfectly prepared. Others had various fish dishes, equally well prepared. The wine list is short, inexpensive by DC standards, and quite good. A wonderful place for a leisurely meal on a summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable dinnerDCVisitorVIPDined on 8/19/2014Being able to dine outdoors here is a real treat. It was ver peaceful. They did a great job of making my husband's birthday special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting, Excellent FoodLomsDined on 8/17/2014Although the service was quite slow, the staff are extremely friendly and the food was excellent. The setting is also very nice. Great for a lovely outdoor brunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The long waitDisorganizedserviceDined on 8/16/2014We had an 8:00 reservation and were told they were clearing the table so it would be just a few minutes. I did not see any tables in process and it took 25 min to be seated. Then we sat for almost 20 minutes before I got the waiter's attention that we were now there 45 min. He apologized and said he thought someone else was serving us. After getting water we waited another 15 minutes before we could order. The food took another 20 minutes and was OK but not great. At the end we waited over 10 minutes for somone to pick up my credit card which I started waving in the air which took 10 minutes to get back. 2 hours for a salad and main course. We have had better experiences there before and I would go back but this night was a mess.Special Features:
- Another beautiful evening..Washington1Dined on 8/16/2014Since I live nearby, going here is not a problem . We love the ambiance and the soft feeling you get sitting outside on a beautiful evening and sipping your wine and having the best soft shelled crabs I have had in a long time.Kudos to staff and the management for making a beautiful spot on the Potomac even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful placechowdownerDined on 8/16/2014a perfect weather evening and most diners were outside. Attentive staff, excellent food, fun atmosphere - who could ask for anything more?Special Features:
- Continues to get betterJBeeVIPDined on 8/16/2014After many years of observing the ongoing improvements, Old Angler's Inn has never been better. The beer garden in the back is great for casual drinking & eating if you've been on the canal or at great falls.Special Features:
- Less Than AnticipatedDanSDined on 8/16/2014It's a pleasant enough "expensive casual Potomac" place for lunch or dinner, but don't expect fine dining or quiet elegance. It was a beautiful Saturday evening and were seated outside, which is pleasant, but gets noisy when crowded as it was. Asked to be re-seated further from a loud couple, the new table was near the path to the beer garden where people may bring their dogs, so there were dogs with owners passing by our table. Would have preferred being inside, but they were reluctant to honor that request. The food was generally good, if not exciting, but the menu choices did not accord with the menu shown on their web site. The service was a bit slow and indifferent, and our waiter did not know the right soup of the day for that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningAdventurerDined on 8/15/2014Our daughter leaves to be a freshman at college in a few days. We took her out to Old Anglers for a special treat. We sat outdoors on a beautiful evening next to their fountain - a very bucolic setting. The food and service were outstanding, as was the sine - an Argentinean Malbec. We highly recommend Old Anglers for such occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningRobertoDined on 8/14/2014Was somewhat put off by the negative reviews, but thought it might still be a good place to take a friend. It was even better. It is a "great" place. The food was outstanding (i.e., the oysters were a bit too fleshy, the halibut was terrific and the banana mousse was memorable), the setting magical and the service just right--attentive but not too attentive. The only slight problem was the over-priced wine list, but there were other less expensive wines that we might try another time. Although I am tempted to say it is primarily for older clientele, even some younger folks would be entranced by the outdoor setting, the candlelight ambience, the fountain, etc. And we could talk without shouting at each other. 4 and 1/2 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dinner for TwoTSFLDinners42Dined on 8/10/2014We loved our romantic dinner with our table right by the waterfall. Although the prices were extreme, we enjoyed the special treat, and the food and service were outstanding. I loved that the local farms were used and listed on the menu. The vegetables were delicious! The outdoor seating was charming as was the inn. We will dine here again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchDCDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Soft shell crabs with peaches was delicious! Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the pricehungryDined on 8/9/2014There was nice outdoor seating options for a group without reservations on this Saturday night. The food was tasty, but the price for the experience was not worth it to us for any type of regular visits to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningNanceDined on 8/9/2014Nothing could be better than sharing good company while dining in this setting on a comfortable summer night. Well it actually can get better. Everyone was very pleased with their meal. The dishes were fresh and inventive. Our waiter was excellent. He understood that we wanted a leisurely meal with friends and timed everything beautifully. We will be back. We also love this restaurant in the winter sitting by one of the fireplaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pan roasted salmonbillfantDined on 8/9/2014The composed salad with salmon, heirloom tomatoes, and peaches was extraordinarily good.Special Features:
- unevenFasteddyDined on 8/8/2014I really want to like this place . It's 5 minutes from home and lovely in good weather. But sometimes the food is very good and sometimes it's quite bad. The other evening two of us ordered sauteed calamari. We wondered just how old it was...as it smelled so "fishy". Another two ordered pasta with Bolognese sauce that was the worst Bolognese ever....too much spice and tomatoes but just a hint of meat. Those dishes were also barely eaten. (We did get credit for one appetizer) Maybe the chef is on vacation ? And they should serve a choice of bread...not everyone loves focaccia. The service was friendly and efficient and it was quiet and comfortable; so not all was lostSpecial Features:
- off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014I have been here when this restaurant was much better! Three out of four dishes were simply awful. (My adult son's burger was inedible. They did take it off the bill, at least, after I complained.) Our waiter was basically MIA all night. We won't be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Magical outdoor spaceBobbyeDined on 8/7/2014The sparkling lights around the lush patio garden made our evening a magical experience. The lighted fountain created a calming yet fascinating ambience for a perfectly prepared gourmet meal. Summer peaches incorporated into the late summer menu, amazing rack of lamb, and fresh fish perfectly cooked set the bar for other restaurants trying to offer what this restaurant delivers. The friendly staff and personal service by the maître de made us feel special. Upscale casual made it easy to go, though a private, elegant corner of their space or a cozy indoor spot was available for those wanting a more intimate or dressy occasion. Perfect for a cocktail or engagement party, or bridal shower event. Bravo to the staff, management, and the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambiance, bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014The ambiance was great. The food was both expensive and not up to the expected level that we experienced in the past. We tried the pricy lamb chops, the dry burger, and the cheap (???) fried chicken. The waitress was confused and confusing about the chicken order, giving us the wrong information about the $24 and $19 chicken choices. We ordered both as per her description, white and dark, and they ended up as roased versus fried, which we didn't like (the fried part). We had better quality food at less expensive restaurant.Special Features:
- GourBayDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful lunch with delicious food, well served by delughtful team.Special Features:
- Beautiful SettingJSBGtownVIPDined on 8/3/2014Old Angler's has a new Chef at the helm and the restaurant has undergone a metamorphosis. OAI has always had been a beautiful and scenic choice, but now it's a tasty one too. We enjoyed a really lovely prix fixe brunch with fresh, high quality ingredients. Definitely a local gem to be put back into your regular rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decades of disappointmentMAMinDCDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I have tried this place on-and-off for more than 30 years, and it's so sad to have such a potentially nice place have such disappointing food. Clearly both the owner(s) and chef have no vision or taste whatsoever. It could so easily be charming with its country-feel setting, such as La Ferme in Chevy Chase or the Oregon Grille outside Baltimore. It's fine for a burger and beer—but the potential for this place with it's setting could be so much more inspired. It's simply sad.Special Features:
- Driveby007Dined on 8/2/2014We went to celebrate our anniversary...We had not been in a year or so. We sat outside and everything was perfect. Great food and service. Best oysters EVER...ANYWHERE !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Four of us went on Saturday night the 2nd of August. Even though it was raining a bit, the umbrellas were large enough to protect us and the staff couldn't have been more gracious. Their new specialty cocktail menu is very interesting. Heirloom tomato salad was a generous portion of red and yellow tomatoes and tasted very fresh. Yellowfin tuna tartare is excellent, loved the kick from the peanut sauce. Crispy skin salmon was cooked exactly as we ordered it and the softshell crabs were also really good. We've been coming here for years and although the menu has had its ups and downs, the current chef is doing a great job and you can't beat the place for service and a lovely evening out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014I've had lunch there twice in the past two wks and found the service and food quite pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden RetreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Once every summer we must take that beautiful drive out MacArthur Blvd to Great Falls and dine at Old Angler's. The patios and gardens are great and spacious, the service is excellent, the food is outstanding. My summer salad was one of the best salads I've ever had. It's going to be an expensive meal, but one you won't forget. So wait for a special occassion, then induge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ed123Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed a lovely meal outdoors and the wine list included some very good wine at reasonable prices, which we appreciated. The menu is significantly better now than in the past -- we had a difficult time deciding what to order and all of us were pleased with our selections. The servers were accommodating a wedding party so we had to wait a few extra minutes to place our initial order, but everything was smooth after that. A great place to enjoy outdoor dining!Special Features:
- It Actually Surprised Me!EnteringNicknameisSillyVIPDined on 7/25/2014We just wanted to go out on a beautiful Friday evening for outdoor dining. No special occasion, but the place surprised me. I'd dined there 30 years ago, and I didn't remember much about the food as I was searching then, as now, for ambience, of which this place has in abundance. But our two main dishes, the pork shoulder and the ribeye/short rib combo, were excellent. Both were tender and flavorful, well-presented, and the veggies were perfectly seasoned. Wines are a little pricey, and they don't allow you to bring your own, but overall the place was a great re-discovery, sort of shockingly so. Romantic and pretty into the evening. Patio dining. Service was attentive without being overbearing. We skipped dessert. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointednonameDined on 7/25/2014We have enjoyed Old Angler's since our first anniversary 21 years ago. This year was the most disappointing evening we've had - and we had high expectations since we'd heard about improvements. Although the inside of the restaurant looks better; and the new casual outdoor area looks great; our patio dining in what should be a fine dining experience was very bad. Firstly we were seated in an outer area which had no ambiance. Secondly the service was terrible. Food was also overall very disappointing. And then a family was seated in our "outer area" wearing t-shirts and cut off shorts. I assume it was just bad timig that we got crummy seating, which also probably impacted service.
- BethesdaDinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had lunch here out on the patio on a beautiful day. Service was very attentive, and food was delicious. Prices are not cheap, but it's worth an occassional splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tripchairmanDined on 7/22/2014Met friend there for Mon. lunch who was recovering from participation in a hard fought political campaign and needed R and R. Setting and service were a balm to her jangled nerves and we enjoyed excellent light selections from the menu in a restful atmosphere on a lovely day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing settingCJVADined on 7/19/2014The salmon salad was excellent. We weren't offered any bread (other tables did), which would have gone nicely with our gazpacho appetizer. Service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than everMickeyDined on 7/17/2014The banana mousse was perfect. The tomato and mozzarella salad was great but didn't need the fennel at all. The salmon was great but could have used more peaches and peach salsa juice. In spite of my minor criticisms, this is now the best restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.