Okura Robata Grill and Sushi Bar - Laguna Beach
858 South Coast Hwy
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Okura Robata Grill and Sushi Bar - Laguna Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://okurasushi.com/
- Phone: (949) 793-4320
- Hours of Operation:
Happy hour from 4:30-6:00pm Daily
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - 4:30 to 9:30
Thursday, Friday, Saturday - 4:30 to 10:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Jin Heo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer offsite catering.
A word from Okura Robata Grill and Sushi Bar - Laguna Beach
Okura has its beginnings in La Quinta, California, where the Japanese-fusion restaurant has become a local phenomenon and is now also located in the center of Laguna Beach. Enjoy everything Japanese cuisine has to offer, ranging from unique appetizers to delicious Kobe steak and entrees from our Robata grill to the delicate and freshest selection of raw fish and seafood prepared by our master sushi chefs. The main dining rooms and lounge interiors, offer soothing earth tones and subdued lighting. The music is lively and sets the tone for a vibrant scene. The covered and heated patio is perfect for those who want to have the feeling of dining al fresco and the lounge serves up libations created by local friendly bar staff. Sake is a favorite and there are several to choose from the eclectic wine, sake and beer list.Continued
So come in and see what we are all about… Irashaimase!
So come in and see what we are all about… Irashaimase!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Okura Robata Grill and Sushi Bar - Laguna Beach - Best Restaurants in Laguna Beach ›
Okura Robata Grill and Sushi Bar - Laguna Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (12)great for outdoor dining (8)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- BETTER LAST TIMEOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014WE HAD THE MARILYN MONROE ROLL AND IT WAS PRETY BLAN. BUT I DID ENJOY THE UNI SHOOTER
- Love this place!ExNYerDined on 10/18/2014Nice date night spot. We enjoyed bantering with our friendly waiter, Dalton, ran into a family of friends celebrating their son's 14th birthday, and just had a pleasant experience. We wondered aloud why it wasn't more crowded on a Saturday night. Maybe they need to connect more to the local community? I know a lot of people who would go there regularly if they had a good reason to support this gem of a place, such as an affiliation with the local education foundation and some key nonprofits. We in Laguna like to feel like we're supporting establishments that in turn support the community. This restaurant location has turned over many times in recent years and has traditionally had a "Newport-y" feeling, but Okura has maybe changed that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in Laguna BeachVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant has a great vibe, friendly service and most important excellent sushi. We don't eat a lot of rolls, mostly sushi and sashimi. We found the quality and thick pieces of fish a refreshing change from other local restaurants. The grilled vegetables and filet skewers, also great and good option for the non-sushi eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadyCatCat1LadyCatCat1Dined on 9/30/2014In Laguna Beach for 8 days. We went here twice. Food and service is exceptional.Special Features:
- Love OkuraOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014We visit the Okura in LaQuinta all the time, this one is almost up there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkMikeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Just didn't get what we were expecting with the crispy rice and spicy tuna or the hamachi Jalepeno roll. There is a lot of good sushi in Orange County, and we would not return here. The employees were nice and helpful, but the food just wasn't top quality on this night.
- Delicious top grade sushi!DatenightDined on 8/31/2014Delicious top grade sushi, wonderful friendly atmosphere, and awesome service. Owner Jau is lovely! We will be back! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!jpinscDined on 8/29/2014We just went here on Friday night and had a great meal. I have no idea why this place wasn't packed! The restaurant has a cool modern ambiance, the service was good and the food was outstanding (not to mention a really good value). Our table opted for the "unlimited" sushi and for under $35 per person we feasted on apps, specialty rolls and sashimi. We will be going back for sure! Highly recommend the garlic soy edamame, ribs and potstickers for the apps and all of the rolls were really good. Plus they had really good cooked options. Beautiful presentation as well. We just kept thinking, why is this place not bursting at the seams? Hush and Katsuya used to be in this location and didn't make it. Hoping this one sticks!Special Features:
- Loved it!HslandDined on 8/29/2014The Hamachi carpaccio was excellent! Good thing we don't live nearby or I would have to be there several times a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice SurpriseJGJLAWVIPDined on 8/26/2014After years of disappointing dining experiences at this location (3 previous restaurants) due to noise, Okura finally got it right. The sushi was excellent, and the fabric decorating the ceiling dampened the noise so much that I actually was able to enjoy the food. The other restaurants had very good food, but when you can't hear someone seated immediately across from you, even when speaking loudly, there is a problem. I predict Okura will flourish. As a local who lives 5 blocks away, I will be back.Special Features:
- Better service at the barTNT2EATVIPDined on 8/13/2014We normally eat in the restaurant. This time we chose to eat at the bar, no sushi bar, but actual bar. It was fun and entertaining. Sean was our bartender and he was attentive and engaging. I had the bento box with few changes (they made it no problem) and my fiance had the Madonna and Jalapeno roll...enough food for left overs. The cuisine has not disappointed us yet!Special Features:
- Cooked dishes Good, Sushi Bad.timotmoDined on 8/1/2014Went to Okura on a Friday night at 8pm and was greeted coldly by the host, but that doesn't bothers me if the rest of the evening goes well. We we're led to our table and I noticed that the restaurant was only about half full so I asked if we can sit out on the deck area. The girl said they were having a big group come in. Ok, fine, but this so called group NEVER showed up and the deck was only half full. We sat our tabled and we decided to partake in the all you can eat meal $32 bucks a piece. I'll just keep it short.. The cooked dishes we're good, but ALL the sushi was had was horrible. Didn't taste fresh, fishy, rolls fell apart. Awful. Sorry, we live around the corner and would love to support but just can't.
- The following 59 reviews are from the Okura Robata Grill and Sushi Bar - Laguna Beach reviews archive.
- Been By, Glad We StoppedtidbitsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great place for sushi by the sea. Our dinners were great as we tried to sample everything on the menu with a party of six. Our favorite was the hammachi carpaccio. And our server was friendly, knowledgable, patient and accommodating. Nice upscale place and a short walk from the heart of Laguna Beach and all it has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiWWeeksVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great sushi and cooked items in a nice atmosphere. Service was very good and large sake menu.Special Features:
- Great Menu Options!LovefoodVIPDined on 7/10/2014This is a great Japanese restaurant with a lot of menu options. It's a nice addition to Laguna Beach!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Needs to ImproveTNT2EATVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great place we bring all guests too as the cuisine has variety and food is consistent. Service is very friendly but not attentive. As much as we like this place, unless the service level improves we will not be coming here as often. Servers need training. They are very friendly and nice so that is not the issue. It's just the service is inconsistent and it looks like too many tables for not enough servers. They don't check back with you, you have to flag them down for anything. Bus staff is great.Special Features:
- Reasonably Priced/Great LocationPamelaDined on 6/28/2014I'm a resident of Aliso Viejo and I regularly eat sushi. I was not disappointed. The Okura is slightly outside the heavily tourist foot traffic which I appreciate. Since parking is a challenge in the Okura neighborhood, I parked about a mile south and hopped on the free trolley (only available during the summer season). The trolley was fun, scenic, and convenient. I plan to return to Okura.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food and uncomfortable seatingTgeereVIPDined on 6/18/2014Sushi was not good at all. I have never been to a sushi restaurant where the rolls literally fell apart and tasted bad. All 5 members of our part agreed that it was one of the worst Japanese food experiences we have had. The miso soup was extremely salty and the seats along the wall require that your feet hang over the edge which is extremely uncomfortable
- Great find in Laguna!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014If you like GOOD sushi, quality dishes, and a nice atmosphere, check out Okura in Laguna Beach, new on the block. Super friendly staff and greeted by the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in LagunaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014I'm from Seattle and was craving sushi when I was in Laguna. My wife and I were happy to find this spot. The atmosphere was cozy and the sushi was pretty good. My favorite sushi is still in Seattle but this definitley curbed my craving. They had great service too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!CarolVIPDined on 6/13/2014Okura Never Disappoints! The fish is fresh and the service is fast...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fantasticMonMxDined on 6/5/2014Looked for a local restaurant through Open Table, and this is what came up. I am glad we followed the recommendation. Out of the 6 of us that went, not one had any complaints about their food, or else. Would go back any time.Special Features:
- Okura is 2 for 2tothemovingDined on 6/4/2014We live in the Coachella Valley so previous to this trip, we had only frequented the La Quinta location. We were vacationing in Laguna Beach and decided to give their Okura a shot. It did not disappoint! Our hometown favorite dishes were consistently as delicious as we were used to and the service was excellent. Will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy experience!EclecticfoodyDined on 5/23/2014Discovered this place when I attended a private wine event. And they were willing to substitute most of the food with what I wanted,since I didn't eat much raw sushi. The room was closed off from the main section and the service was impeccable. Danny, the manager is savy and accommodating. I decided to go back again with friends to check out regular dining. Well presented, fresh, good tasting. They custom make the sushi any way you want. I recommend the Hama carpa, seared albacore with crab, hamachikama. I enjoyed the rock shrimp. And I requested volcano with real crab. It was a delight! Good, caring service. Sports addicts will be totally at home with the TVs screening games. Well worth the drive up from Carlsbad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese fusionFoodieLoriVIPDined on 5/19/2014Great sushi and excellent and interesting cooked dishes. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming backkrasherDined on 5/14/2014Why would we keep returning to Okura? Because it is that good. Everything is fresh, beautifully served and the service is spot on. The other night was particularly nice because the heat kept a lot of people home. The place was relatively quiet which was such a nice change. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return FoodiesTNT2EATVIPDined on 5/8/2014We want good sushi, good Japanese cuisine, good service...we head to Okura!Special Features:
- Best Sushi Place in Laguna BeachJohannaVIPDined on 5/7/2014We moved to Laguna Beach last year and had been on a hunt for good sushi. We found it at Okura and we now go there about once a week. We especially like the Garlic Soy Edamame, Sunomono Salad, Robata, Tempura... my husband really likes the variety in the Bento Box. Everything is VERY reasonably priced, including the drink menu. We are slowly trying all the Sushi and Sashimi and everything is great. We LOVE the ambience- it is elegant but comfortable, inviting and beautiful. The staff is always very friendly and Daniel Reyes, the manager, greets us like family. They just need to get chocolate Mochi! :)
- Good but SLOOOOW.frequenteaterVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was good and fresh, and the drinks were delicious, but the service was not good. The staff was friendly, but extremely slow. We were there to eat and drink - a LOT. We did a little of both and for a very long time. If the staff had just come to check on us more frequently, we would have had much more of everything.
- Best Sushi Bar Chefs in town!adelatownVIPDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I spent a wonderful evening at Okura on Saturday! We sat at the Sushi Bar and had a fantastic time trying various rolls. The chef customized everything for us based on our love of everything Spicy! Great place for date night or with a group of friends. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vibe at OkuraVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 3/28/2014We had a great time at Okura. From the moment we arrived, we were greated by warm happy folks in the front and our server, Destiny was the same. We enjoyed the filet and shrimp skewers, hamachi serrano, octopus salad, spicy tuna roll and albacore tataki roll. O yea, and the garlic edamame. We ordered too much food. Highlights were the filet skewers and spicy tuna roll. Next time we are going all out for the sashimi platter, which everyone was ordering. The fish looked absolutely amazing. We thought the prices were reasonable and the variety of section is far superior. The grill they have for the Robata has great flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatkwokmanDined on 3/22/2014I know this location has not had luck with the restaurants occupying it. However, the food and drinks here were very good. Love the fact that they have great sushi, and have a kitchen for hot food as well. Would definitely recommend. They were also very accommodating of a guest in our party that was VEGAN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemCarolVIPDined on 3/20/2014Great sushi - great prices - great service - great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun serverLinInDenverDined on 3/17/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant! Fun drinks, main courses, and desserts. Edamame cooked perfectly, which is hard to do. Sushi fun, and reasonably priced. Mochi ice cream for dessert was so tasty. We visit the OC quite a bit and I must say this was the first time we encountered a server with personality on this trip. He was friendly and had fun recommendations. He and other staff cleared the table quickly between courses. Refills were copious and quickly provided. There was a big group party out on the deck (St Patty's Day!). Once they started to get really fired up, the staff quickly closed the patio doors so as not to disturb the diners inside. Very thoughtful of them, and the doors truly blocked the noise from us. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot! Great ambianceNoahDined on 3/14/2014Great spot! Great ambiance and good food. Not as crowded as the good spots in downtown Laguna which is nice too. Will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very freindlyIGIGDined on 3/12/2014Great food, great service and very friendly. We will go again.Special Features:
- 3rd times a charmTNT2EATVIPDined on 3/8/2014We love this restaurant and make a point to bring new people there each time we dine. Great sushi, very nice waiters. Great tables. Service each time very friendly but slow and not as attentive. Yet beyond that would still go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This new sushi find is quicklyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014This new sushi find is quickly moving towards the top spot as my favorite sushi spot. Will definitely be returning again...I would recommend this to a friend.
- such a disappointmentOnceisenoughVIPDined on 2/22/2014mediocre at best. the fish in the sushi was basically grated and mixed with some mayo-ish concoction. so disappointed.
- Amazing...second time aroundTNT2EATVIPDined on 2/21/2014Tried it once - fresh sushi, nice wait staff, friendly hostess. Tried it again - bento box -great variety for those who cannot make up their mind. Atmosphere-hip without being over the top. Perhaps this restaurant will make it, if it keeps up the quality and service! Will be backSpecial Features: