1166 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://oishiiboston.com/
- Phone: 6174828868
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday : 12:00pm - 3:00pm Sunday Brunch : 11:00am - 5:00pm Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ting San
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties of 12-35 guests. We create special menus designed by Chef Ting for larger parties. We look forward to hosting your party!
- Private Party Contact: Vicky Hong 6174828868
A word from Oishii Boston
Oishii Boston located in the South End SOWA district, the most artistic area in Boston. Oishii Boston is devoted to providing the most wonderful dining experience to every customer. Chef Ting San is dedicated to combining every dish with the freshest ingredients and creativity, to transform a dish into a work of art. We want our customers to have a fabulous dining experience for all occasions. We serve the most delicate wine and sake in our contemporary Tokyo style lounge. The dining room is elegantly decorated for a comfortable atmosphere to complement a magnificent meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Oishii Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)fit for foodies (49)romantic (37)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (22)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- great sushi and styletheDaneDined on 8/16/2014very good sushi, delicately arranged and taken in a great atmosphereSpecial Features:
- DisappointedbskyDined on 8/12/2014Just ok: expected unusual, exciting, special; we have had more interesting sushi experience across town at Houston's the steakhouse! Tried a bunch of items (apps, rolls, sushi, entree), but when we played our usual post-dinner game of "what did you like best" we couldn't get started. Also: For a restaurant that focuses (sometimes) on presentation, so much was off, like: the tables for two fit better in a dollhouse: The table next to us got the salmon on fire which was unceremoniously pushed onto the tiny crowded table by a waiter who was also carrying something else, forcing the mammoth menus off the far end the table, all while the customer made a nice save of his water glass which was already halfway over. Nice. Service was decent.
- the best sushi in north americavinodDined on 8/10/2014excellent food..great ambiance..love it.I've been to Japan and Sushi all over the world and Oishi is one of the best Sushi placesSpecial Features:
- Amazing sushi restaurant!TorontoFoodGuruDined on 8/8/2014Have dined at many sushi restaurants over the years and this one is quite special. The omakase menu is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried some new things...SorceressCaptainDined on 8/8/2014We were seated right away, The team that served us was courteous, attentive and polite. The dishes were delicious and presented well. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DBBFoodieDined on 8/5/2014We have been hearing a lot about Oishii and finally made it there for a special occasion. Athmosphere is nice, but very dark. Tables are a bit close together (you can overhear what people 2 tables from you are talking about and you're practually sharing your meal with the people at the next table). It was pretty loud, even though we were there on a Tuesday night. We had sushi, which was good, but not amazing. Overall, it is a good, solid choice, but did not live up to the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Best sushi, and possibly best meal, I've ever had! Great ambience and exciting dishes that will make the experience stand out. HIGHLY recommend!Special Features:
- OutstandingHelezalezDined on 7/27/2014The Best Japanese food ever. Great attention and suggestions. Definitely a must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The real deal!FornDogDined on 7/25/2014Ordered the chef's nine course tasting menue because so many dishes on menue looked good. Albeit expensive each course was a walk down foodie lane. Taste, texture, sight were all included over the 2 hour sense tickle. Not for the california roll crowd as my wife did not eat half of the courses although chef tried to accommodate best he could. Would make a trip back any time in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceycriticalDined on 7/22/2014Food was good ... very creative ... and VERY expensive ...
- Top ten of my best mealsSildanDined on 7/20/2014We had an absolutely outstanding meal here. After reading all kinds of reviews, I was a bit worried that it would be too pretentious. Not sure why, but that's how it came across thru the reviews. Well I was super happy to be convinced otherwise. We did the omakase for $150 and every course was a little adventure in taste and presentation. We have done other 10 plus course meals where you get one chance to taste the one bite of a multiple component dish, and then it's gone. Here it was enough to play with the different flavors, they were well balanced and yet still new for the palate. The sushi is melt in your mouth, as well as the Wagyu beef. Foodheaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I think the best Japanese I have been....and I have been in Japan......Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Small and quiet. Good service. Some items overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TasteVladTheladDined on 7/1/2014It's all about taste. Good taste. From the decor to the plate, everything is aesthetically pleasing. And then there is the food. Extraordinary sushi, exquisitely fresh and beautifully cut sashimi, and the delightful many creations of the chef. In summary, an all-around excellent experience.Special Features:
- New favoritedjjrDined on 6/28/2014We have eaten here 5 times over the last 6 months & it has been excellent each time. Best sushi/sashimi we have had. We had eaten at the original Oishii & loved it, then discovered the Boston restaurant, which is equally good & more spacious & convenient to Cambridge/Boston area residents. Service friendly & very good. Relaxing ambiance, very nicely decorated. If you like Japanese food, try it, you'll love it.Special Features:
- JackDined on 6/27/2014I was impressed by the service, but the sushi was just okay. Very fresh, but missing the careful preparation that makes for great sushi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandMDined on 6/21/2014We ordered the Chef's tasting menu, which was perfectly paced. The food was absolutely superb, and the service was prompt, friendly and attentive. Our only two very minor complaints ware that our waiter was not able to answer all of our questions about the food (he was able to answer most of them), and the table was just slightly too long for the two of us to have an intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melt in your mouthSouthEnd76Dined on 6/21/2014We have been to Oishii several times over the years. They continue to be consistently amazing with the freshness of their fish, beautiful presentation, and with excellent service. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Chef Bruce presents every single dish beautifully and timely! Fish is super fresh and the sauce is well balanced. Simon, our waiter, is so eloquent describing every single dish that was served. It will be a privilege and a pleasure to meet the owner and the creator of Oishii signature dishes when we next visit Oishii. Definitely a spot for the foodies.Special Features:
- Great food every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Always great food, interesting specials, sensitive to food allergiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oishii South Endreviewer617Dined on 6/14/2014This was nice, we went around 7 pm on Saturday and thought it would be busier, but it wasn't. Sat at a table in the chef area, not much ambience, kind of dark and blah. So our waiter was over the top nice, but kept bringing things we didn't ask for. What was weird was, he kept repeating he would take them off the bill, yet he kept bringing them. Sake was heaven. I hate the fact that their salmon is farm raised (disgusting) but didn't find that out till after I ate it. The tuna maki was good. I don't know if I want to go back, nothing screams out at me about this place, but the prices. It was good, but not that good.Special Features:
- Awesome Food!MonicaDined on 6/7/2014Read that this restaurant was the #1 sushi bar in Boston in 2012 and 2011. It was awesome my husband had the chef special 10pc sushi/sashimi and we had a variety of maki rolls many that were recommended by our waiter. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Great special placeEYEMOREDined on 6/6/2014I took my best friend here for her birthday dinner after she arrived late in the evening. We sat down after 10pm (when most places are closing up) and started one of the best meals out this year. Our waiter Soloman we the right balance of charming and attentive without it being about him. He paced our orders well so our small table wasn't crowded and suggested changes to what we as ordered to compliment the full meal. I'll be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FindbbmathDined on 5/24/2014My daughter had just flown back from Budapest and really wanted Sushi. (Hungary is land locked). However, she didn't clear customs until after 10 PM. The appetizers were beautifully named and presented. "Fish on Fire" (gluten free) was amazing and so visually stunning that the people at the table next to us, asked what it was and then ordered it. There was a beautiful presentation of duck with honey in an apple (not gluten free). My husbands big complaint was Tamari not gluten free soy sauce was offered. When we go back he will bring his own. We got a roll with Mango that was an amazing combo of flavors. It is pricey, and the service is attentive, the food takes real time to prep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favorite special occasion placenkl79Dined on 5/16/2014i've been to oishii before, but this was the first time for lunch. Their lunch specials are truly amazing and a great amount of food for the price. If you want to try this place, but don't have a lot to spend, i would recommend coming for lunch. As always, amazing food experience.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpecialsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014They have great bento box like specials that are under $30 and are more than enough for one person. The smoked hamachi and salmon on fire were both great as well. Servers were amazingly friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:
- ExcellentRzarektaDined on 5/2/2014Amazing food, great service, all around excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1137 reviews are from the Oishii Boston reviews archive.
- Too fanci-fiedAyahDined on 4/20/2014Quality of ingredients, presentation, service, all excellent. However. Every piece of nigiri was garnished with something stronger flavored than the fish: lemon slice, onion sprouts, shallots, hot sauce, etc. The garnishes really detracted from and overwhelmed the flavor of the fish. For the premium price, I want to taste my food. We had a much better meal at the Sudbury location last year. I'll go somewhere else for sushi next time I'm in Boston.Special Features:
- Nice but overpricedTiniDined on 4/12/2014No complaints really except price. $10 for a teeny little seaweed salad? Sashimi was fresh and presented beautifully. It is definitely a special occasion place. Service was pretty weak. Took a while to get a refill on my wine. I would have expected much more attentive service for that price.Special Features:
- interestingluv2dineDined on 4/11/2014Did the chefs sampler tasting for $150. Each plate was very aesthetically appealing and very interesting. Nothing tasted as you would expect, but it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unusual poor experiencelinaDined on 4/5/2014we dine at oishi frequently and usually have no problems. this time, the service was terrible. the girl was not friendly at all. she acted as if we were a business transaction and was just trying to get us out the door as quickly as possible to get the next table in to make more money. very unfortunate because this particular night we were celebrating an anniversary and decided to come here because its always been great in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in bostonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014This is probably the best sushi/japonese restaurant in boston for me. The food is innovative and simply delicious. The bar zone is a bit loud but in the tables, there is a nice environment, making it perfect for the special occasions! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChefLPDined on 4/4/2014Went with moderate expectations. I knew it would not be on par with a Nobu or the like, but ended up being really disappointed. Stuck to the 'Chefs Innovative section' at first to see what the kitchen was most proud to push. Poorly seasoned apps, mismatched flavor pairings, maybe I should have stuck with basic sushi/sashimi? Food was pleasantly presented. Service was mediocre, and there was some sort of mixup where one of our dishes was 'forgotten'. Will not return.
- OutstandingotolosDined on 3/30/2014Everything was prepared to perfection. Best sushi in Boston?Special Features:
- Creative and inspiredBob123Dined on 3/29/2014Having just returned from Japan, the bar was set high, but Oishii came through. Very fresh fish and creative and inspired dishes. The smoked Hamchi was served under a dome with smoke permeating it at presentation. Beautiful. The salmon on fire was served with flames underneath. Highly recommend. Clearly in the top 2-3 Japanese restaurants in Boston.Special Features:
- A wonderfully unique experienceCharlieDined on 3/28/2014Unique dishes you won't find anywhere else. Presentation is out of this world. Great for a special occasion or a nice night out. Excellent cocktails too. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oishii never disappoints!!BtobinsDined on 3/28/2014We only eat apps and sushi and every dish is beautifully presented and delicious!! Oh the frozen coconut dome is a spectacular dessert to share!!Special Features:
- Best Japanese I've had in BostonJuronDined on 3/27/2014Everything was great, food fresh, good service, great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a twistMerlinDined on 3/25/2014The quality of the fish (try the sashimi) was outstanding. Service was curteous, Friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. The Sushi creations are both imaginative and very good to eat. The only hair i found that could be split? It is slightly dark in the restaurant. The food and service are 5star experiencesSpecial Features:
- New local standard/Japanese foodsamziamDined on 3/23/2014Food presentation is a bit precious, but outstanding quality and taste. It's expensive--more than it should be--so not a place to visit too often.Special Features: