Oh Mamma Mia!
2324 Gulf Gate Dr
Sarasota, FL 34231Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Oh Mamma Mia!
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ohmammamiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (941) 706-2821
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:45pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: Closed, Monday: Private Cooking Classes Only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Urbano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: 30% discounts on to go and catering.
- Entertainment: Live cooking show as you dine. See the chef cooking your meal and broadcasted live on a giant screen in a open kitchen atmophere.
A word from Oh Mamma Mia!
Authentic contemporaney Italian restaurant. Cooking show every night!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Oh Mamma Mia! - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Oh Mamma Mia! reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (15)romantic (11)notable wine list (8)good for groups (5)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fantastic Osso Buco!BandCDined on 11/22/2014The Osso Buco special on Saturday was not only a good value for money, but more importantly, it was perhaps the best Osso Buco I have ever enjoyed! Braised to perfection with the tastiest "gravy" I can ever recall! Loved the new, expanded dinning area, too. Congratulazioni, Giuiseppe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and experience!TammyzelDined on 11/21/2014Our new favorite restaurant in Sarasota! Chef Guiseppe made a new fish dish Unicorn delicious! We took some friends for the first time and they fell in love with it! Just like eating in Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing or Just S-L-O-W?BuckyVIPDined on 11/13/2014After trying unsuccessfully to get a reservation in July, we went ahead and made a reservation for November. Last miniute we invited some frineds to join us. None of us had been before. Without appetizers or coffee, the meal dragged on over 2.5 hours on a Thursday night. Half full at best. Salads were nice. Food was very good (though my chicken breast was tiny - wondering who got the other half). It was over an hour between salads and the entre. We heard explanations of 'I forgot to enter the order' to 'we weren't prepared for the crowd tonight'. It wasn't that croweded. They just expanded and more than doubled their seating. If you go, be prepared for a leisurely dinner.
- Atrocious !UpsetDined on 11/8/2014After arriving and being seated and waiting for a few minutes with no service we were approached by the owner. We said that we would like some service and I said that I would like to order a bottle of wine., where upon the owner asked us to leave. We thought he was joking but it was apparent that he was not when he said that he would not cook for us and opened the door and told us to get out. I am an 85 year old retired professional and have never been treated so rudely anywhere, anytime for absolutely no reason. I would never return to this establishment.
- Authentic Italian!1EagleDined on 11/6/2014Wonderful food and wait staff. We will be back soon. The owner is the chef and really cares about the quality of the food being prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014This restaurant was actually recommended to us by a friend from out of town. Who knew that such an authentic Italian restaurant was right in our neighborhood this entire time? Ever since I moved to Sarasota a year ago from NY, I've been searching for a great Italian place. Well the search is over. Oh Mama Mia! delivers on food, wine, and ambiance. You can watch your meal being cooked while you wait for it, and the chef came over to our table himself to ask how spicy we wanted our Penne a la Vodka. Every dish we tried was outstanding, but the standouts were the above mentioned penne, the linguini Pesto, and the Pomodoro. I can't wait to come back and try some risotto next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningOldlocalsDined on 11/4/2014The food is delicious! The chef and his staff are professional and personable. The whole experience made for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SebastianDined on 11/1/2014Food is always great as is the service. My favorite Italian restaurant in town. No, they don't serve pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickeyDined on 11/1/2014Owner and servers took interest in patrons. Good vibes, Good food!Special Features:
- Very good and lots of funDonCDined on 10/31/2014The food was very good and being able to see your food being prepared as well as talk to the chef was entertaining and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodCbfoodDined on 10/30/2014This is the best Italian food my wife and I have had this side of Italy!! The chef and what he turns out is world class, for creativity, flavor and just plain great food. My wife had the pollo olive dinner and I had the saltimbucco and actually got to watch the prep and cooking as the kitchen has mirrored ceilings and a closed circuit view for the patrons to watch...the man is a food magician!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again.BPfoodiesDined on 10/25/2014The food was bland. Service could have been better. We had to ask for grated cheese for our pasta. The chef walked around the dining room with a baking sheet of bread and a frying pan with someone's chicken dinner in it. An incident happened with the plumbing and no offer was made to clean my pants and purse.
- Great food and fun experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014From the start of the meal, bread and salad to the amazing pasta, the meal was wonderful!! Also fun interaction with the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousFraserfourDined on 10/18/2014One of the best restaurants in Sarasota. Hidden gem! Wait staff are great and food is phenomenal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent . . .istarrDined on 10/17/2014for food and service. A favorite for special occasions as it is a bit pricey for weekly visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtoeatDined on 10/11/2014We have been meaning to try this restaurant for a while and now we're glad we finally did! The food was fantastic and the attention from the chef was a really nice touch. Everyone in the party was happy with their choice. We will definitely be back. We own a small café and it's so hard to go out to eat and not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Treated RudelyBrennDined on 10/4/2014I was very recently diagnosed with celiac disease and I need to avoid gluten. I told our server about it and he was very accommodating. The owner, on the other hand, was not. When I requested GF pasta (which is mentioned on their website as an option), the owner told me he'd make me risotto for a 'bargain price.' He asked me this FROM THE KITCHEN -- he didn't even come to our table! I wanted pasta and he said 'it will be 45 minutes because I need to boil more water', and 'you're putting my kitchen way behind,' and never once coming to our table to speak to me directly. While I'm adjusting to this new diagnosis, I was embarrassed the rest of my dinner guests had to endure this. Next time, I'll just stay home and make my own GF pasta.
- Wonderful Anniversary CelebrationTAGsDined on 9/30/2014Excellent waiter (Joe)---food was delicious, atmosphere most comfortable and interesting. A wonderful evening was had by all--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated & overpricedBertVIPDined on 9/20/2014After reading all the fabulous reviews of this restaurant, my wife and I were anxious to eat there. A great disapointment. I had veal marsala & my wife had veal with salad atop. My veal was so-so & my wife's veal was non-existent. Breading only & very dry. With 2 glasses of wine & a side pasta, the bill was $100. I would expect a much better meal for that price. We live downtown & some of the restaurants are the same price but the food much better. Very unhappy & won't return.
- MeYoVIPDined on 9/18/2014It took an hour for the food to arrive. The fish was overlooked and dry. No flavor. Service was poor
- REAL Italian!Anumber1perfectDined on 9/9/2014We had a perfect evening! Guisseppe cooked our meals to perfection. Try to return to this gem as often as possible, even though over an hour drive each way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ItalianfoodievivDined on 9/5/2014What a great find! Enjoyed watching Guissepe (owner & chef) prepare the dishes on the wide screen. The meals were delicious, good wine and attentive service. We shall return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MG ReviewMGReviewVIPDined on 8/23/2014Nice ambiance, wonderful service and very tasty food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rock steadyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Been a couple of times.Veal is the best around.This trip tried the Grouper (olives and capers) was most delicious.I have got to get them to offer a refill on the coffee.This is a very good place to eat good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality foodFredDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter Joe was excellent and recommended a wine that all 6 of us at the table enjoyed. At $22 a bottle, it was a steal. I had the Pasta Giamberti which was done to perfection.Special Features:
- go go go for the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Dinner was delicious;best veal this Brooklyn boy has had in Sarasota.Prices are fair. Although I question the $5.99 for the salad substitute and received such a tiny serving?That didn’t go with the rest of the meal.Service is very young and inexperienced.They need to clean the dirty dishes off the table and should have offered a refill on the coffee. The chef/owner works the room and was attentive,informative,and gracious.Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Oh Mamma Mia! reviews archive.
- disappointedloveyDined on 6/17/2014We have been there 2xs in the past and raved about it to our dear friends who have traveled quite a bit, love to cook, enjoy good food and wine. We ate there on a Tues. eve for a 6:30 reservation. Only 2 other tables filled that night. Regular, enjoyable to watch, friendly chef not on that night and one of the Savor Sarasota choices of entrees was no longer on menu. Our server was young girl totally lacking in personality. What really makes this a great place is when chef comes around to tables and suggests choices of food, wine, etc. Our friends did not say much as we were treating them but we were very disappointed and will not go back. Too many other good Italian restaurants in Sarasota with ambiance, and willing to please.
- Highlight of the areaPickyeaterDined on 6/13/2014Discovered this hidden gem a few months ago while visiting from Atlanta. It is at the top of our rotation of places we visit every time we return. The chef Gusieppe(?) is a pleasure to meet. He has a passion and talent for his chosen career. He loves to mingle with guests. The pasta is done perfectly, the catch of the day is fresh off the boat, seasoned to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open kitchenFoodieDined on 6/13/2014The owner is very hands on, friendly and wants to satisfy. Prices are very reasonable. The staff is very friendly and the service is excellent. Do try the cooking bar where you can watch it all come together. The chef is right there to make recommendations if needed. Overall, you will have a terrific meal at what you will think was a reasonable feeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great Food!RandyDined on 6/10/2014Mama Mias does many things right, great food at fair prices, wines for casual diners at reasonable prices and as always a great level of service to their guests. We have never been disappointed by the dining experience of this small neighborhood eatery. This is not an elegant dining experience if that's what you're looking for, just a great casual dinner amongst friends. The food is always a highlight and they will insure you are very pleased with everything. The salads are fresh and robust, the entrees are plenty big and then some. Take the whole family and enjoy a great meal.Special Features:
- Perfect for REALLY great food!MataeoDined on 6/7/2014Fortunately it is close by, a little local place that hopefully will get no bigger. The servers are VERY attentive and cordial, as is Giuseppe, the owner and his sous chef, both of which you can literally watch in action via closed circuit TV or just sitting at the bar (best seats in the house). Really annoying that they make great cooking look so easy! Everyone seems to go out of their way to please, especially serving up free and unexpected glasses of wine or a desert to die for. No question.....best food in Sarasota if you are serious about food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingnappDined on 6/7/2014This is not the authentic Oh Mamma Mia we remember when it opened. Now just average.
- great little Italian RestaurantmammaDined on 6/7/2014great food - Nice to be able to speak with owner - wait staff was a bit too attentiveSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014ENJOYED OUR FIRST DINNER AT Oh Mamma Mia. Sat in bar area, informal, not noisy. Would recommend, the food was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2014An OK local Italian restaurant. Not bad, but not great.
- Charming restaurantdiningfanDined on 5/30/2014Very good food. Chatted with Chef. Server was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ItalianPUptonDined on 5/16/2014Delicious and especially flavorful food. Excellent service and unbelivably tasty and inexpensive house wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/EntertaimentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/14/2014Oh Mamma Mia not only has outstanding service, and food, but, the food preparation is visibly entertaining! The food preparation is shown on large screens inside the restaurant, so the freshness, and every order made individually is appreciated. End result however, is the food is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014The food was good, but we felt it was on the pricey side.Special Features:
- Always FantasticFoodAfficionadoDined on 5/3/2014We are often visitors to Sarasota and never make a trip down without visiting Chef Giuseppie and his friendly team. Once again, he over delivered for the 6 of is on Saturday night. Unique, authentic and absolutely delicious Italian food. Every dish we ordered was different and done to perfection and his red sauce especially is amazing. In a strip shopping center but with food that is the best you will have eaten! Enjoy the experience and you will not be disappointed! And an incredible value as an added feature!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.