O'Donnells Sea Grill
311 Kentlands Boulevard
Gaithersburg, MD 20878Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
O'Donnells Sea Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://odonnellsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3015191650
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Stephan Dowler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: O"Donnell's Sea Grill offers our Chesapeake room for private dining. The Chesapeake Room for larger groups seats 25-65 guests and features a private bar, video screen and private restrooms. O'Donnell's Sea Grill is available for: Wedding Rehearsal Dinners, Business Luncheons & Dinners, Weddings & Baby Showers, Corporate Dinner Meetings, Cocktail Receptions, Family Reunions, Holiday Office Parties, Graduation Celebrations, Birthday Parties, Anniversary Parties. Contact any of our managers for additional information and booking reservations.
- Private Party Contact: Janet Cloninger 3015191650
- Entertainment: We feature live entertainment in our bar area every Friday night from 9:00pm - 12:30am
A word from O'Donnells Sea Grill
O'Donnell's Sea Grill is one of the Washington, DC area's premier seafood restaurant. Owned and operated by the O'Donnell family for over 80 years, O'Donnell's Sea Grill carries on the tradition of offering renowned Norfolk-style dishes, signature crab cakes, and fresh Maine lobster, as well as steaks, chicken, pasta and fresh-made soups and salads. Our on-premise bakery prepares mouth-watering lemon meringue pie, key lime pie, cheesecake, and O'Donnell's Sea Grill famous Rum Buns every day. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner, come see why O'Donnell's Sea Grill, enjoyed by generations of Washington area residents and out-of-towners, is the landmark seafood restaurant in Montgomery County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
O'Donnells Sea Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Goodbye O'Donnells ...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/27/2013A wonderful rest closed its doors after 90 yrs. Glad that We were able to enjoy another delicious dinner on their final night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sad to see it closeeawsDined on 7/27/2013Had to get to O'Donnells one last time before it closed! The food was better than ever even if our service was lacking due to the crowd. So many good family memories of eating there and in the Bethesda restaurant. Their Norfolk dishes are impeccable and their fish and chips a delightfully light surprise.Special Features:
- A great lossOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2013We are sad that this very good restaurant has closed after 90 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O'Donnells Sea GrilMom1Dad2VIPDined on 7/26/2013We enjoyed our meal and were sad to learn that O'Donnells is closing. We enjoyed every meal during the past 28 years. We were never disappointed because the quality of the food remained the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining Farewell!StevieBVIPDined on 7/25/2013I doubt anyone will replicate the quality and charm of O'Donnells. You will be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodDianneDined on 7/25/2013Our room was very noisy and we helped! There were 11 of us and we all got something different and loved whatever we got. Wine was good and all their drinks. No one complained about anything but the server who had his hands full and was doing his best. We did not do brunch or lunch so I cannot comment, but dinner was great. Too bad they are closing tonight because I would love to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Washington InstitutionjeanbeanDined on 7/24/2013You will have to hurry if you want to dine at O'Donnells - it is closing its doors on Saturday July 27th. What a shame! The crab cakes are delicious, all crab with very little filler. The rockfish stuffed with crab and scallops was also very good, the vegetable side of sauteed spinach was excellent. Service was good but rushed since the place was packed with customers looking to have a final meal at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 7/24/2013I grew up with O'Donnell's in Bethesda. It was where one went to celebrate events (birthdays, weddings, prom). Unforetunately, the experience my party had this time was very disappointing. The food was so, so, nothing to brag about. The service was very, very slow. It took so long to get appetizers and entrees that we timed the waitress when we ordered desert. It took more than 25 minutes to obtain 4 slices of pie and two cups of coffee. I know O'Donnell's is closing, and the place was busy, but my last trip there will not be a good memory.
- Great food but service is terrible!Diner2Dined on 7/23/2013I had dined at this restaurant one other time without any issues. I made a reservation for 7:30pm on a Tuesday night. When I arrived I was told it would be a few minutes and they were behind. 15 minutes later I inquired with the hostess and although she saw me standing with my date for that time and greeted me when I checked in, without apology said I was never marked as arrived for my reservation. She said just 5 minutes more, well about 20 minutes longer we were seated. It took them over a half an hour to seat me for a reservation! Once we were seated it took 15 minutes for a waiter to greet us. Once we had service, the food was great, their service just put a damper on our date night!
- Not good money's worthPrimeDined on 7/21/2013I got the sampler but the portion sizes do not equate to the price paid for the food. The food was fresh and tasted well but I have lived in Seattle for 10 years and would get better portions for the price point.
- I'm sorry to see this long-standingnopeVIPDined on 7/20/2013I'm sorry to see this long-standing institution close it's doors. The food is still good but it was clear that the servers are well aware they're going to be without jobs in a few days.
- We'll miss YouMarylandSightseerDined on 7/20/2013O'donnell's is closing its doors on Saturday, July 27, 2013 after over 90 years of service to the DC area.Special Features:
- Too bad O'Donnells is closing.Bulldog66Dined on 7/19/2013Been my favorite in the area for a long time. Too bad they are closing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was nice to enjoy O'Donnell'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2013It was nice to enjoy O'Donnell's one more time before it closes at the end of this month. It has been such a longstanding very good seafood spot with excellent crab cakes and more.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/19/2013Our group of 5 enjoyed the good service and excellent food. My favorite is the fish and chips, with a baked potato substituted for the chips. Others enjoyed a cobb salad, baked fish, and beer battered shrimp. As usual, the bread basket had the rolls, corn muffins, and rum buns that we all love. Get there soon, since the restaurant is closing before the end of the month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loss of Iconic RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2013O'Donnells has been a staple in the local restaurant scene for more years than I can remember. Family celerations, special dates, business events have all selected O'Donnells as their special place to enjoy fabulous food in a friendly atmosphere provided by exceptional servers. The menu has stayed faithful to its historical heritage and delivered both its signature dishes and its "tried and true" selections without modification or "cheapening" its offerings. It is sad to see it closings its doors at the end of this month, but there is still time to enjoy its famous rum buns and crab dishes. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- O'Donnell's will be greatlytboggsDined on 7/13/2013O'Donnell's will be greatly missed when it closes at the end of July It is one of our favorite places to eat atSpecial Features:
- I had the Grilled Shrimp andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2013I had the Grilled Shrimp and Scallops on Ristoto. The Shrimp and Scallops were good, but the Risotto was drownding in butter and cream. Way too much and way to rich! In all fairness, two weeks before I had Fried Green Tomatoes with Grilled Shrimp and it was excellent. Sorry I didn't order that again.
- Sorry to see an old friend close!JohnCDined on 7/12/2013Having followed O'Donnells from E Street to Bethesda to Gaithersburg, we will certainly miss this place. We have always had great food. The sesame crusted tuna was enjoyed on two recent occasions. The rockfish stuffed with crab and shrimp was superb as was the crab casserole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Friday lunch group.hunterDined on 7/12/2013The Friday lunch group has been to O'Donnells on numerous occasions over the years. Whether there are two or three or ten or twelve, O'Donnells has always been able to accommodate us. Most of us are now seniors who grew up in the Metropolitan Washington DC area and remember when O'Donnells was in DC but mostly from their location is Bethesda MdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant closingTinyDined on 6/30/2013One of my favorite restaurants. Too bad it's closing. It will be sorely missed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteFeebsVIPDined on 6/29/2013We've enjoyed this place since it opened. Used to go to Bethesda before. We will miss it when it closes.Special Features:
- Celebrating our 50th anniversaryluv2eatDined on 6/29/2013My wife and I decided to go to O'Donnells for dinner to celebrate our 50th anniversary. And we are certainly glad we did. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. My wife had lobster and I had fried shrimp plus French onion soup. We were too full for desert. And when it was time to pay the bill, the waitress told us "It's on the house." Unbelievable! I can't think of another restaurant that would have been so gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to hear they're closingherbsDined on 6/28/2013Sorry to hear they're closing forever. great turtle soupI would recommend this to a friend.
- A long-time favoriteMarkVIPDined on 6/25/2013We've been going to O'Donnells for years for great seafood. Even though it isn't on the menu anymore, they still prepared my favorite for me - crab stuffed eggplant. What a treat!
- servicemistyDined on 6/23/2013waiter was very nice & attentive, but not at all overly attentive like some places. will miss this place1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 of the few good seafood restrntsRobertDined on 6/22/2013One of the very few good seafood restaurants left in the DC area. Sadly it is closing shortly, after being in business for 90 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My dining experience at O'DonnellsLydardDined on 6/22/2013My dining experience at O'Donnells Sea Grill was fantastic. The food, service and ambience was outstanding. It's a great place to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- A Good Time was Had by All!ILoveVolunteersDined on 6/19/2013We were a group of 8 celebrating one of our volunteers who had been with our program for 33 years. We had a well-placed table with a very attentive server who made a fuss over our guest of honor. Great food and a wonderful lunch celebration. Thank you to O'Donnell's for being the perfect location for our event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day meal was ruinedunhappyDined on 6/16/2013Fathers Day meal was ruined by a group of "people" with 5 unsupervised young children, yelling and throwing things around. There were plates tossed onto the floor, and the adults all were playing with their phones. The place is closing July 27 and it will be no loss, as I didn't ever plan to return.
- Great Evening OutLynn429VIPDined on 6/15/2013O'Donnells was willing to accept a reservation for 11 people on Open Table. Unfortunately, they didn't exactly honor the reservation and kept us waiting almost 30 minutes! As my parents are in their late 80s and both use a cane this was particularly difficult and uncalled for, with a reseravation! However the food was good, and once seated, we had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Not Up to Parnotyou311Dined on 6/15/2013O'Donnells seems to fluctuate from one visit to the next. They are going out of business soon, so that may be part of the problem. The waitress brought me the wrong order and claimed that she didn't hear me clearly when I ordered. My applesauce arrived frozen and the cole slaw had an odd taste. Most of the shrimp had an iodine taste. This will be our last visit to this restaurant. Hopefully, their new owner will do better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closing!!!TinyDined on 6/9/2013We are so disappointed that O'Donnell's is closing at the end of July.
- First Time for meFredDined on 6/7/2013Great place enjoyed it =, wait staff was excellent. they are closing down in the middle of July, the owner has been in the biz fir 40 years and wants out. I will get back there before they closeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always reliable and goodHughandKenDined on 6/4/2013We've eaten at O'Donnells many times before, dating back to the days when the restaurant was located in Bethesda. Their seafood is always good and well-prepared, and tonight was no exception. I had the twin lobster tails, expertly prepared and delicious. My partner had the seafood risotto and said that it was one of the best dishes of that kind he had ever had. Our only "down" note for the evening was our waiter, who was utterly indifferent to our presence and whose treatment bordered on rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked and forgetfulOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/31/2013We've heard about this place and have lived in the area a long time, but never went. Finally did - all the food was overcooked, they forgot one of the dishes and brought it later after the rest were done eating, just a heavy, fat and calorie laden meal like I was eating at Red Lobster. Service was excellent, however, waitress was awesome, host was great- and they gave us a discount for being late - wasn't the atmosphere or people - just the food, i didn't like.
- So sad to hear O'Donnells is closngOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2013Our family has been going to O'Donnells (at its various locations) since I was a kid. I've never had a bad meal there. I will especially miss their lobster club. Don't close, O'Donnells, don't close!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2013Food was excellent and the staff we're very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable Dining LandmarkStevieBVIPDined on 5/27/2013Service is top quality, ambiance is quiet and relaxing and food is consistently good. The crab gumbo is my favorite.Special Features:
- Boring food, hot and stuffydinoutDined on 5/25/2013Boring food, hot and stuffy room. Waitress was terrific!