1335 Fourth Street
San Rafael, CA 94901Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.odalisquecafe.com/
- Phone: 4154601335x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday 5:30 - 10:00
Saturday 5:00 - 10:00
Tuesday - Friday 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Howard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Odalisque Cafe
Welcome to a community gathering place in the heart of San Rafael. Stop by and enjoy a delicious meal or small bite, with just the right glass of wine or beer. The cuisine at Odalisque Café & Grille reflects the flavors and spices of the Mediterranean, using fresh, local produce and meats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Odalisque Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (22)romantic (14)special occasion (12)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (7)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- too bad its closingJonTenorVIPDined on 8/8/2014Last night was yesterday. We will miss this place.
- Odalisque is great, but going awaydoojemDined on 8/8/2014This was our first time at Odalisque and it was terrific. Unfortunately, they are closing, not for lack of business, but, as we understand it, because it was a retirement project, and as everyone knows, restaurants are 100 hour per week businesses for the first 5 years, and then 80 hours, or something anyway that does not comport with the concept "retirement." The food we had was very nicely prepared, very flavorful. The service was fine, though for us, a little over-attentive. Once we get going, we like to be left more alone. We had 3 or 4 different folks coming by to pour water from the bottle on our table, asking us how things were. They were fine. Having been a waiter, it is better to watch until patrons are looking for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SadDedeVIPDined on 8/7/2014After a wonderful dinner, we found out the restaurant was sold and closing shortly! This is sad since we finally discovered a really great restaurant in San Rafael.
- foodieDined on 8/2/2014this was my 4th time there, has been a while since I've been there, was very disappointed, the menu has changed, not as much to chose from. very small portions , not very interesting food. I know it is the trend to have runners , but I find that is not good service . there is no connection with the wait person . I don't think I will be back
- Great Meal!CKinMarinVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Odalisque. It is a fun space and creatively decorated. We started our meal with the burrata and prosciutto, continued with a delicious panzanella salad and ended with sea bass and an amazing summer risotto for the vegetarian. A fun and quiet enjoyable evening - we'll be back!Special Features:
- overpricedgourmet1VIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was extremely overpriced for mediocre food. I would not recommend this restaurant for anyone. They need to either markedly improve the quality of the food or cut their prices by 50%
- lovely little restaurantchristinefredVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a very good meal at Odalisque - very pretty inside & lager than it orinially appears. I had a wonderful Sturgeon dish - perfectly cooked with 2 simple, full tasting sauces complementing the flavors. My sister had the equally well cooked salmon - but we agreed - the sturgeon was tops. Only minor complaint - my sister is a non-drinker and the options were very limitedSpecial Features:
- good for the west endloonymikeDined on 7/19/2014Service was a bit slow in the beginning. Food was OK in my opinion it should have been great for the price. The dessert was a bit tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/19/2014A winner - the soup, salads, flatbread pizza, risotto and hamburger were all artfully prepared and presented, and quite tasty. Service was professional, friendly and timely, though I wish the bus staff was trained not to remove plates until all members of the party have completed a course. The room became uncomfortably loud as the tables filled up, so for those that enjoy conversation as part of the dining experience I recommend coming early.
- Excellent Little Gem on 4th StreetluvgoodfoodDined on 7/18/2014We took my sister here for her birthday and had a lovely time. Our waitress was personable and excellent as well. No complaints at all. It's on the pricey side, but for a special night out and desiring a delicious meal, this is a terrific choice. Also not noisy even though they do have a great bar and an active bar scene. Everyone is extremely friendly too.Special Features:
- noelbowsnoelbowsVIPDined on 7/12/2014A wonderful dinner. Everything top notch. A lovely chilled melon soup followed by the veggie risotto. Granddaughter loved her salad and the seafood linguini. The shared appetizer equally lovely, a mushroom pizza. May well be my new favorite spot. My ONLY complaint: noise level is intrusive. They need to add some acoustical "something" to soften the noise that bounces off all the hard surfaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Find!RLWBDined on 7/12/2014This was our first time at the restaurant. The service was excellent, we had reservations and were seated right away. The food was delicious - my son ordered the rib-eye and it was one of the best rib-eye steaks he's ever had! I had the scallops and they were cooked to perfection and the seasoning was exceptional. We will definitely return and recommend Odalisque to our friends. Another nice thing, there is plenty of close street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abysmal service, good foodpickyeaterVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've tried this place three times, hoping each time that the service would get better because we really enjoyed the food. But Friday night was our last try. Our waitress was beyond bad. Sorry Odalisque...you had three tries.
- Very enjoyableCynthiaVIPDined on 7/11/2014Everything about our dining experience was excellent, the food, the service, and the ambience. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TDoyleVIPDined on 7/9/2014Food was very good. Service not so much. Seemed to be only 1 waiter for too many tables. Could have been just a bad night. Also, no diet soda - just strange when you've got a designated driver.
- A surprise findBunkyVIPDined on 7/8/2014Not expecting much we were blown away by the food,the service as well as the welcoming we got! We are grateful to have found this place! Our waiters were fabulous!!!Special Features:
- great post-Rafael dining optionJanellenVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our first time here, and we had a great experience! Everything we ordered was delicious: the scallop ceviche was ethereal, Marcona almond crusted rib eye was creative and delicious; the sturgeon perfectly cooked. Service very friendly, though a bit slow between courses. The room is lovely, with nice lighting, and we could talk without difficulty. I was a fan of Chef Jay Yinger's first restaurant in the early 80's - so glad he's back at the stove!! Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great choice in downtown San RafaelKathleen3Dined on 7/5/2014We had been here before with friends who knew to request the wine cellar room. We requested the wine cellar this time and our new friends loved it. It is quiet so conversation flowed easily. But there is also a nice proximity to the other tables so you feel a friendly atmosphere. Kind of like you all knew a secret place. Our waiter was very nice and freely recommended items from the menu. Wine lost was quite interesting and well matched with the dinner choices. We will return for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 4 FizzleJRT2VIPDined on 7/4/2014Odalesque, still a great setting in San Rafael, was quite disappointing when we were there for dinner July 4. Two cheeseburgers, one medium and one medium rare with onions were ordered. After a long wait, a "medium" burger was delivered alone. It had no cheese but did have onions (not ordered). We told the server of the problem, but did not send it back. A bit later the next burger arrived. It was medium rare, but the cheese was not even slightly melted. Just cold sliced cheese on top. Fries with the first burger were warm at best. Fries with the second were the correct temperature. One other meal, grilled salmon, was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming foodie destinationCAMARDDined on 7/3/2014Brick walls, unframed art hanging, quick greeting from bartender as hostess approaches to give us our choice of seating for our early (6) reservation.Perusal of menus, additional specials shared by waiter, choice of a rose & a red blend wine made, peach panzanella & scallops with forbidden rice both to be shared. Excellent combination of flavors to tantalize your taste buds, peaches & vinaigrette were light, figs were not ripe but scallops & rice were a wonderful combination with scallops cooked correctly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014Based on previous visits we had high expectations, but this time we were disappointed. Many of our dishes lacked the balance of ingredients and seasoning we expected (including menu items we had before) - they were not bad, but nothing special. Plating, which has been notable for its elegance, was sloppy. One member of our party ordered the rib-eye, which was fatty and unimpressive and overpriced at $42. Service was first rate and the room is lovely. Because our past experiences were so good we will try again and hope that this was just an off night.
- PaulieDined on 6/26/2014This is charming restaurant, wonderful owners and ambience, very good food, always a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningJaneDined on 6/21/2014I met with old friends on the night of the summer solstice. We started with a dry rosa from France that was recommended by the bartender who was a lovely man and engaged casually with us while he poured our wine. We were seated in the window and watched the son go down on the longest day of the year with a spectacular meal. I will be back again and again. I highly recommend Odalisque.Special Features:
- Great but priceyBrownieDined on 6/21/2014I have been there twice and loved it both times. But 48 big ones is a little pricey for the steak special Which came essentially unaccompanied by anything and was not enough food for my companion. And the server neglected to tell us the price so 140 bucks for two salads two entrees two glasses of wine at 16 each. No dessert came as a surprise. The food is wonderful. No complaints. And the visit by the owner was a nice touch. But it's overpriced. Especially for Marin. Also very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- only the scallops were not greatNikkiDined on 6/21/2014We were seated in the cellar which was great. On of our guest didn't like the way its scallops were cooked. He is a fantastic chef himself and cooks very well fish. Otherwise no complain about the rest of our meal. We all enjoyed it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014Soup, salads, starters and mains were all beautifully executed with fresh ingredients and vibrant flavors. Attentive and professional service. A wimmer
- Great find!EastbaydinerVIPDined on 6/5/2014So pleased to have been introduced to this lovely spot in downtown San Rafael. We went on a weekday evening so it was quiet and low-key. Everything about it was terrific, but know that it is expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Odalisque Cafe reviews archive.
- Very pleasant evening!CaliDined on 5/31/2014Nice restaurant on all counts. We will be back. Our server was delightful and helped with our dinner choices. The wine list didn't include any of our favorite wines, but we discovered a super Sauvignon Blanc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special & priceyStellaVIPDined on 5/31/2014Very good food and ambience. Its got a continental flair about it. but for the price, portions are small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2014One of the better experiences we have had in Marin - this was our first visit but will not be our last. The specials and the regular menu items were all outstanding. Friendly and professional service with sufficient staff to handle a busy Saturday night crowd. My only quibble is it is pricier than comparable local restaurants, but if Odalisque can continue to deliver top quality food with flawless service it can justify that premium.
- Wonderful ambience!goldieDined on 5/29/2014I have been going here since it opened. I know the owners and this is a restaurant feels familiar and always consistent! I took some real foodies this time. They loved it!Special Features:
- SLLWDined on 5/28/2014We had originally planned to go to La Toscana Restaurant as we were going to a show at the Marin Center. There were no reservations available for the time period we needed. Open Table had made some suggestions for alternative restaurants nearby. We also checked Yelp on their recommendations and opted for Odalisque. We are so happy we did. Odalisque is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014Food is excellent; server and hostess both attentive and friendly without imposing. Menu has nice variety of options. Will be going often.Special Features:
- Great attention to detailJeanVIPDined on 5/23/2014The chef and owner called in advance as I'd noted that we had some food allergies among our dining party and they wanted to make certain that we were presented with a variety of interesting options. Rarely does anyone call early in advance! The menu options were delightful and each of us loved the lamb, scallops, and filet. The salad was light and interesting and the desserts were among the best ever, especially the cheesecake. A must! The wine list was well priced, if a tad young, but still very nice overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience, good foodCRTravelDined on 5/22/2014I've lunched here twice and had both good food and a great ambiance. The waitress was fantastic (same woman both times, can't remember her name though). There is a good variety on the menu and it's always been tasty. Try it out!Special Features:
- Fantastic Mother's Day DinnerUlliDined on 5/11/2014Despite it being Mother's Day, the restaurant accomodated 11 of us (including three teenagers) by seating us in the wine cellar of the restaurant. We all loved the setting. The food was superb, the service excellent and all of us look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious brunchpianojudyDined on 5/11/2014We came here for Mother's Day and were so pleased with the food! They are not usually open for lunch, so we didn't know what to expect. Two of us had Benedicts, and the Hollandaise sauce was delicious! My son had steak and eggs which he said was very tasty! They also gave us some muffins and baked goods for the table. I hope they open for lunch, and I look forward to going there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After movie dinnerPretoriagirlVIPDined on 4/26/2014We experienced a lovely dinner on Sat here after a movie. Our table was not ready & the chef noticed us standing around waiting so he kindly presented us with a delicious plate of fried Brussels sprouts & aoli while we waited . So delicious as was the food he cooked for us. Everyone was so friendly & happy to help . Great food , handsome accomplished chef, great ambiance , happy staff makes for a successful restaurant . Happy to have another choice in Marin.Special Features:
- Tasty DinnerCKinMarinVIPDined on 4/24/2014We had a wonderful dinner here last week. The food was delicious and I liked the shaved asparagus - a new take! We both had salads and an entre: his was good halibut and mine a delicious goat ravioli-like pasta. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great food on Fourth StreetJLNutritionistDined on 4/18/2014Recently ate at Odalisque in San Rafael for the first time. Nice menu, great food, excellent service and lovely ambiance. Definitely will go back.Special Features: