625 North Rd. Rte. 117
Groton, CT 06340Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://octagonsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (860) 326-0360
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am-11:00am,
Saturday & Sunday 7:00am-12:00pm
Lunch Monday-Sunday 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Paul Krawic
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Octagon has two party options. 1. Our Wine Room is a semi-private back room offering seating for up to 65 guests with views of Octagon’s impressive custom-designed wine room. Octagon is perfect for a company holiday party, rehearsal dinner or family reunion. 2. The completely private dining room offers a chef’s table that seats up to14 guests and is a showcase of elegance. The private dining room is perfect for special events, board meetings and reunions and features audio-visual capabilities.
- Private Party Contact: Olivia Desmond 860-326-0331x
- Entertainment: Live acoustic music every Thursday at 7:30pm.
- Special Events: Please visit us online at www.octagonsteakhouse.com for details on booking your special event.
A word from Octagon
Octagon is Southeastern Connecticut’s premiere steakhouse specializing in the ‘Art of Steak’. The menu boasts an array of ‘composed dishes’ that change seasonally to incorporate fresh, local, and seasonal ingredients available. Octagon, the Zagat rated Waterford Group Restaurant, has received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence and the AAA Four-Diamond Restaurant Award. For more information, visit us on the web at www.octagonsteakhouse.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Octagon reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (16)romantic (12)notable wine list (12)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent!!!mnoormo1VIPDined on 11/16/2014We stopped for dinner on a Sunday evening on our way back from NYC. This was our first visit to this hidden gem and definitely not the last. It's located about 15 minutes from Foxwoods and/or Mohegan Sun. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up for the grilled flat iron steak. The steak was tender, cooked to perfection and melted in one's mouth. The burger was probably one of the best I've had. Flavorful and cooked to perfection. The restaurant is set in the Marriott Mystic hotel in Groton CT. Excellent meal and a must stop to and/or from NYC.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dragon Chowder is a winnerDoradaxplorerDined on 11/7/2014Ate here while staying at the Marriott, didn't want to go to the casinos yet wanted a steakhouse steak. We where very pleased with the food and the pricing, excellent wine options. Dragon Chowder is a must try, steaks cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food & service.aroseVIPDined on 11/5/2014Outstanding flavorful food. The starters we had were the Seafood Stew with shrimp & scallops, Lobster Bisque and the Phoenix Chili. Entrees were Scallops Risotto, Sea Bass and the Cowboy Steak. All were outstanding. For dessert the recommendation would be the Apple Tart which was mostly apple with a thin bottom crust and of course vanilla bean ice cream.Special Features:
- Great FindNoCarbsONellVIPDined on 11/1/2014While traveling, we searched for a nice dinner. Don't be fooled by the fact that this place is located inside a hotel. This was one of the best steak dinners we have had, including the likes of Morton's. All of the sides were also excellent. The meat was cooked just as ordered, and we are a picky group. I have no hesitation in recommending this steak house.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodBrunchBunchVIPDined on 10/25/2014What a fine dinner to celebrate our anniversary. My husband's rack of lamb was cooked to perfection and was plentiful (he took half home). There was a delicious crust around the outside. I had the snapper special that was accompanied by a smooth, creamy white sauce. It was moist on the inside and crusty on the outside. My tuna appetizer was absolutely sushi-grade and my husband was quite pleased with the crabcake appetizer. The apple dessert was a new menu addition and melted in my mouth. We chose a wine from the "end of bin" list. We were delighted with the quality of the food and the interesting preparations and ingredients.Special Features:
- SweetEatsDined on 10/3/2014Had two cuts porterhouse and filet mignon both were delicious and cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- BazookaDined on 9/24/2014Not to many people eating there, so that concerned me about eating here, but we did anyways because we are not from around there. Menu was limited. I ordered the filet and my husband ordered the talapia w/egg. Husband's egg was over cooked so no oozing of the yolk which he loves. My filet was nothing special and the sauce I ordered was not good at all. I got mac and cheese which tasted like something I'd make at home, not anything I'd ever order again. Not much at all to pick from for desert. Averege at best. Heading back to MA for a good steak. Cost to quality meal is a D. Sorry. Suggestion restaurant, don't precook the steak then put it on the fire to warm it up. Cook me a raw steak from the start, not a precooked one.
- A treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014A very nice night. The bone-in filet migon was a treat, as was the lobster bisque. The rest of our meals were good ingredients well prepared. My crab cake and my mushroom side were tasty though not exemplary. Our server, on a quiet night, was a little too attentive, but engaging and thorough. A fine value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very surprisedjc0425Dined on 8/30/2014We usually like to try different restaurants and Octagon came up in the area we were looking for. I didn't realize it was in the Marriott until the day of the reservation and thought about cancelling because I'm not a hotel restaurant type of person. I'm glad I didn't. The food was excellent as well as the service. It was a very relaxing night and I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We were very impressed with good at octagon! The kobe beef and lobster Mac and cheese were amazing! Highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining!Mel1234Dined on 8/9/2014Upscale dining experience with great food and exceptional wine. My food was cooked to perfection and the Au gratin potatoes were the best I have ever had! The only thing I would do next time would be to tell then no peppercorn on my steak, it over powered the steak a bit. The service was exceptional. The creme brulee was so good. The wine was great. Not enough that I could say about this place! Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 271 reviews are from the Octagon reviews archive.
- 1dineDined on 7/24/2014For the price, and considering this is a "Steakhouse", the steak was a disappointment, full of gristle and not all that tasty. Swordfish was perfectly grilled, not overdone. Even though most Americans cannot get enough salt on their food, if someone wants more salt, they should be able to add it themselves. A superb piece of swordfish doesn't need a surfeit of salt. The service and dessert were excellent.Special Features:
- Pricey but out of the ordinaryGourmetVacayDined on 7/18/2014Octagon is a bit pricey but you have an out-of-ordinary meal here.Special Features:
- PoorRicketyDined on 7/12/2014We are very sorry to say that we didn't enjoy our experience at octagon. My wife's fish was raw and they didn't have the wine that I requested that was on the wine list. RudySpecial Features:
- Condescending waitressNativeScribbleVIPDined on 7/7/2014Waitress was arrogant and condescending and all without the benefit of intellect.
- Fabulous dinnerjustmyopinionDined on 7/4/2014Octagon was great. Even though it was the Saturday of 4th of July saturday night - the food was awesome and our server Tom - was an extra bonus! Perfect! If you are in the area, I would highly recommend!
- Don't eat here on a holiday.Gramof9Dined on 7/4/2014The day staff and part timers must have been working. The food was missing ingredients. Our waitress was sweet and did her best but that didn't make up for the chef's incompetence. Very expensive. Not worth it!!!!Special Features:
- I was expecting moreAlwaysgood2dineVIPDined on 7/4/2014There wasn't anything bad at the Octogon. The services was good and the ambiance was okay. For some rason I just expected more. A more interesting menu that reflects the location in a Marriott. The cuisine and tastes was not very tasty. It just wasn't memorable.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysfinegaelDined on 5/30/2014Once again, dinner did not disappoint. Service was excellent as always, and the food was cooked to perfection. The crab cake appetizer continues to be our favorite, huge lumps of crab with almost no perceptible filler.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We would come back again!!! We live in Boston MA. I thought the prices were very reasonable for dinner and breakfast. Our food was perfect. The weekend was filled with families(lots of little ones) for little league team. I know the ambience would have been more romantic had it not been for the families. For the first time experience we still had a great date night.Special Features:
- The OctagonCRUISERDined on 5/11/2014We enjoy going to Octagon anytime ./ We especially enjoy the wonderful brunch theyserve on Easter and Mothers Day!Special Features:
- Great BrunchbobcDined on 5/11/2014Food is great ...make reservations early. I tried online and was only able to get a reservation for 4. While we we dining there were plenty of tables empty and still many empty when we left about 12:30. Octagon could have had more from our party if the reservation system was more accurate. I would recommend to call the restaurant directly to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKPQPQDined on 5/10/2014Steak had to be sent back, took to long to get back, others at table where done eating and meat was burnt.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014As with most quality steakhouses, menu is pricey. We went there for a birthday celebtration and it was a good spot for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was oustanding service...notbeenroundDchoppinblockDined on 4/20/2014My wife and I went there for Brunch on Easter. The food selection and quality was excellent but the service was subpar. Since it was a buffet style brunch our server's only responsibilities were to get us a drinks and our bill and she forgot to get my wife's iced tea until we were half way through our meal. The fish (shark), steak, lamb, and garnishes were awesome. The Scallop Mac and cheese was also outstanding. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchBartlejtDined on 4/20/2014We were greeted by a very pleasant host and hostess. Cat, our server, was fantastic. The food left a lot to be desired. I was served chicken that was undercooked. The shark was overcooked. The Stone crab was obviously frozen and had no flavor. My husband enjoyed the flat iron steak, but said the lamb was extremely dried out and was served a piece that was mostly fat. The only thing fresh on the breakfast station was the fruit and the made to order omelets. Overall, we were very underwhelmed with our first experience at The Octagon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2014My husband and I were not all that impressed. His burger was overdone and the Creme brûlée did not taste creamy and fresh. Service was good but for good and ambience there are much better restuarants in the mystic area.Special Features:
- Great good, mediocre serviceKevctDined on 4/16/2014My meal was delicious. Braised short ribs with risotto. Spinach as a side was huge and tasty. I had no room for the flour less torte but that didn't stop me. The server was not attentive because he also had to serve a party in the room next door which was a business meeting. From where we sat we could see and hear their PowerPoint presentation. A total detraction from our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2014The service was just plan terrible at this restaurant. The waiter came once to take drink orders and then we had to flag him down the rest of the night. He put the bottle of white wine we ordered on the table (not in a bucket of ice or a marble cooler on the table). We had to ask him for bread. We had to repeatedly ask for our kids drinks. My kids hated the mac and cheese and refused to eat it. Mine and my husband's steaks were very good but I would not go back due to the other issues we had at this restaurant.
- ReservationgeneralDined on 4/1/2014I reserved the private dining room/table, only to be bumped by restaurant VIPs one hour before my dinner. A disappointing beginning to a great meal. The food was tremendous; delicious and prepared flawlessly. My group was shocked they would seat us in general dining when we had a reservation for the private room, and the attempt to buy us with a bottle of wine was hollow.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceJohnMDined on 3/21/2014We wanted to get away for the night to some place local in Connecticut. So we booked the Marriott Mystic Hotel for the Spa and Food it offered. I was not really expecting to much from a hotel restaurant but Octagon was really nice. I had a filet and my wife had the feature to the month which was a Kobe streak. Both were very good and well seasoned to our taste. The waitress was very attentive and had a genuine feel and concern to make everything just right. We really had a good time and enjoyed our dining experience. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Good food, great servicemetsnationVIPDined on 3/15/2014We both had the filet mignon, I had the coffee cummin rub and my wife the blue cheese topping. The steaks were good, not great. The potatoes au gratin were above average and aspargus very good. The service at the Octogon was outstanding.Special Features:
- anniversary nightReverendDined on 3/5/2014The staff was 100% attentive. My meal was good. Our only complaint is that the filet my wife got was completely dried out and over cooked. Drinks and dessert were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Experience DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The Octagon was a very nice place for a special occasion dinner. My daughter and I enjoyed the steak dinners and the service was very attenative. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistientPitt83Dined on 2/22/2014We eat her about every few months. We last went on New Years Eve and had a fabulous night out. However, this weekend was terrible. Spaghetti and meatballs was of freezer grocery store quality. My "porterhouse" was very sub-par to their typical steaks. The waiter was an improperly trained 19yo who didn't know anything about the wine list nor the menu nor read the specials for us. I don't understand how just 7 weeks ago you were 5 star and this weekend, sub-par.
- Valentine's Day DinnerAdelgiornoDined on 2/15/2014My boyfriend and I had our first Valentine's day dinner here and it was fantastic. He ordered the sirloin and it was full of flavor and soft and I got the duck and it was our of this world!!! The food is fantastic and the service is great. I recommend this for any couple or group wanting to enjoy some wine and good surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Too Short - Groton OctagonNotTooHappyGrotonDined on 2/15/2014I came with my girlfriend on Sat Feb 15th the day after Valentines. I have eaten here before and had WOWed her with the menu selections. Imagine our disappointment when there was an EXTREMELY limited menu (Porterhouse, Flounder or Duck). I heard SEVERAL other customers asking why was the menu so short?? The answer that it's Valentines weekend did not sit well with most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!glittadivaDined on 2/15/2014We attended on Valentine's Weekend, with a pre-fix menu and I was a bit nervous given experiences at other restaurants during holiday times. Octagon exceeded my expectations! Every course was delicious and prepared as ordered. The I loved being able to see some of the dishes being made right near the dining area. The wine list was great and our waiter was friendly and entertaining. I definitely recommend heading to Octagon for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointingKevinDined on 2/14/2014I took my wife to octagon for valentines day. We were dissapointed that the regular menu was not available. When the gave us the special menu there were only 3 entrees to chose from. We both chose the porterhouse. It was undercooked, full of grizzle and fat. I can only compare this to cruise ship dinning, not a 5 star restaurant.Special Features:
- Stay AwayJohnDined on 2/14/2014This place was terrible. The service was bad, the food was bad, the ambiance was bad (felt like I was in a hotel).