625 North Rd. Rte. 117
Groton, CT 06340Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://octagonsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8603260360x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am-11:00am,
Saturday & Sunday 7:00am-12:00pm
Lunch Monday-Sunday 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Paul Krawic
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Octagon has two party options. 1. Our Wine Room is a semi-private back room offering seating for up to 65 guests with views of Octagon’s impressive custom-designed wine room. Octagon is perfect for a company holiday party, rehearsal dinner or family reunion. 2. The completely private dining room offers a chef’s table that seats up to14 guests and is a showcase of elegance. The private dining room is perfect for special events, board meetings and reunions and features audio-visual capabilities.
- Private Party Contact: Olivia Desmond 860-326-0331x
- Entertainment: Live acoustic music every Thursday at 7:30pm.
- Special Events: Please visit us online at www.octagonsteakhouse.com for details on booking your special event.
A word from Octagon
Octagon is Southeastern Connecticut’s premiere steakhouse specializing in the ‘Art of Steak’. The menu boasts an array of ‘composed dishes’ that change seasonally to incorporate fresh, local, and seasonal ingredients available. Octagon, the Zagat rated Waterford Group Restaurant, has received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence and the AAA Four-Diamond Restaurant Award. For more information, visit us on the web at www.octagonsteakhouse.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Octagon reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)romantic (12)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)fit for foodies (6)kid-friendly (5)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)Show More
- Very surprisedjc0425Dined on 8/30/2014We usually like to try different restaurants and Octagon came up in the area we were looking for. I didn't realize it was in the Marriott until the day of the reservation and thought about cancelling because I'm not a hotel restaurant type of person. I'm glad I didn't. The food was excellent as well as the service. It was a very relaxing night and I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We were very impressed with good at octagon! The kobe beef and lobster Mac and cheese were amazing! Highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining!Mel1234Dined on 8/9/2014Upscale dining experience with great food and exceptional wine. My food was cooked to perfection and the Au gratin potatoes were the best I have ever had! The only thing I would do next time would be to tell then no peppercorn on my steak, it over powered the steak a bit. The service was exceptional. The creme brulee was so good. The wine was great. Not enough that I could say about this place! Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1dineDined on 7/24/2014For the price, and considering this is a "Steakhouse", the steak was a disappointment, full of gristle and not all that tasty. Swordfish was perfectly grilled, not overdone. Even though most Americans cannot get enough salt on their food, if someone wants more salt, they should be able to add it themselves. A superb piece of swordfish doesn't need a surfeit of salt. The service and dessert were excellent.Special Features:
- Pricey but out of the ordinaryGourmetVacayDined on 7/18/2014Octagon is a bit pricey but you have an out-of-ordinary meal here.Special Features:
- PoorRicketyDined on 7/12/2014We are very sorry to say that we didn't enjoy our experience at octagon. My wife's fish was raw and they didn't have the wine that I requested that was on the wine list. RudySpecial Features:
- Condescending waitressNativeScribbleVIPDined on 7/7/2014Waitress was arrogant and condescending and all without the benefit of intellect.
- Fabulous dinnerjustmyopinionDined on 7/4/2014Octagon was great. Even though it was the Saturday of 4th of July saturday night - the food was awesome and our server Tom - was an extra bonus! Perfect! If you are in the area, I would highly recommend!
- Don't eat here on a holiday.Gramof9Dined on 7/4/2014The day staff and part timers must have been working. The food was missing ingredients. Our waitress was sweet and did her best but that didn't make up for the chef's incompetence. Very expensive. Not worth it!!!!Special Features:
- I was expecting moreAlwaysgood2dineVIPDined on 7/4/2014There wasn't anything bad at the Octogon. The services was good and the ambiance was okay. For some rason I just expected more. A more interesting menu that reflects the location in a Marriott. The cuisine and tastes was not very tasty. It just wasn't memorable.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysfinegaelDined on 5/30/2014Once again, dinner did not disappoint. Service was excellent as always, and the food was cooked to perfection. The crab cake appetizer continues to be our favorite, huge lumps of crab with almost no perceptible filler.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We would come back again!!! We live in Boston MA. I thought the prices were very reasonable for dinner and breakfast. Our food was perfect. The weekend was filled with families(lots of little ones) for little league team. I know the ambience would have been more romantic had it not been for the families. For the first time experience we still had a great date night.Special Features:
- The OctagonCRUISERDined on 5/11/2014We enjoy going to Octagon anytime ./ We especially enjoy the wonderful brunch theyserve on Easter and Mothers Day!Special Features:
- Great BrunchbobcDined on 5/11/2014Food is great ...make reservations early. I tried online and was only able to get a reservation for 4. While we we dining there were plenty of tables empty and still many empty when we left about 12:30. Octagon could have had more from our party if the reservation system was more accurate. I would recommend to call the restaurant directly to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKPQPQDined on 5/10/2014Steak had to be sent back, took to long to get back, others at table where done eating and meat was burnt.Special Features:
- The following 259 reviews are from the Octagon reviews archive.
- Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014As with most quality steakhouses, menu is pricey. We went there for a birthday celebtration and it was a good spot for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was oustanding service...notbeenroundDchoppinblockDined on 4/20/2014My wife and I went there for Brunch on Easter. The food selection and quality was excellent but the service was subpar. Since it was a buffet style brunch our server's only responsibilities were to get us a drinks and our bill and she forgot to get my wife's iced tea until we were half way through our meal. The fish (shark), steak, lamb, and garnishes were awesome. The Scallop Mac and cheese was also outstanding. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchBartlejtDined on 4/20/2014We were greeted by a very pleasant host and hostess. Cat, our server, was fantastic. The food left a lot to be desired. I was served chicken that was undercooked. The shark was overcooked. The Stone crab was obviously frozen and had no flavor. My husband enjoyed the flat iron steak, but said the lamb was extremely dried out and was served a piece that was mostly fat. The only thing fresh on the breakfast station was the fruit and the made to order omelets. Overall, we were very underwhelmed with our first experience at The Octagon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2014My husband and I were not all that impressed. His burger was overdone and the Creme brûlée did not taste creamy and fresh. Service was good but for good and ambience there are much better restuarants in the mystic area.Special Features:
- Great good, mediocre serviceKevctDined on 4/16/2014My meal was delicious. Braised short ribs with risotto. Spinach as a side was huge and tasty. I had no room for the flour less torte but that didn't stop me. The server was not attentive because he also had to serve a party in the room next door which was a business meeting. From where we sat we could see and hear their PowerPoint presentation. A total detraction from our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2014The service was just plan terrible at this restaurant. The waiter came once to take drink orders and then we had to flag him down the rest of the night. He put the bottle of white wine we ordered on the table (not in a bucket of ice or a marble cooler on the table). We had to ask him for bread. We had to repeatedly ask for our kids drinks. My kids hated the mac and cheese and refused to eat it. Mine and my husband's steaks were very good but I would not go back due to the other issues we had at this restaurant.
- ReservationgeneralDined on 4/1/2014I reserved the private dining room/table, only to be bumped by restaurant VIPs one hour before my dinner. A disappointing beginning to a great meal. The food was tremendous; delicious and prepared flawlessly. My group was shocked they would seat us in general dining when we had a reservation for the private room, and the attempt to buy us with a bottle of wine was hollow.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceJohnMDined on 3/21/2014We wanted to get away for the night to some place local in Connecticut. So we booked the Marriott Mystic Hotel for the Spa and Food it offered. I was not really expecting to much from a hotel restaurant but Octagon was really nice. I had a filet and my wife had the feature to the month which was a Kobe streak. Both were very good and well seasoned to our taste. The waitress was very attentive and had a genuine feel and concern to make everything just right. We really had a good time and enjoyed our dining experience. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Good food, great servicemetsnationVIPDined on 3/15/2014We both had the filet mignon, I had the coffee cummin rub and my wife the blue cheese topping. The steaks were good, not great. The potatoes au gratin were above average and aspargus very good. The service at the Octogon was outstanding.Special Features:
- anniversary nightReverendDined on 3/5/2014The staff was 100% attentive. My meal was good. Our only complaint is that the filet my wife got was completely dried out and over cooked. Drinks and dessert were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Experience DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The Octagon was a very nice place for a special occasion dinner. My daughter and I enjoyed the steak dinners and the service was very attenative. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistientOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/22/2014We eat her about every few months. We last went on New Years Eve and had a fabulous night out. However, this weekend was terrible. Spaghetti and meatballs was of freezer grocery store quality. My "porterhouse" was very sub-par to their typical steaks. The waiter was an improperly trained 19yo who didn't know anything about the wine list nor the menu nor read the specials for us. I don't understand how just 7 weeks ago you were 5 star and this weekend, sub-par.
- Valentine's Day DinnerAdelgiornoDined on 2/15/2014My boyfriend and I had our first Valentine's day dinner here and it was fantastic. He ordered the sirloin and it was full of flavor and soft and I got the duck and it was our of this world!!! The food is fantastic and the service is great. I recommend this for any couple or group wanting to enjoy some wine and good surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Too Short - Groton OctagonNotTooHappyGrotonDined on 2/15/2014I came with my girlfriend on Sat Feb 15th the day after Valentines. I have eaten here before and had WOWed her with the menu selections. Imagine our disappointment when there was an EXTREMELY limited menu (Porterhouse, Flounder or Duck). I heard SEVERAL other customers asking why was the menu so short?? The answer that it's Valentines weekend did not sit well with most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!glittadivaDined on 2/15/2014We attended on Valentine's Weekend, with a pre-fix menu and I was a bit nervous given experiences at other restaurants during holiday times. Octagon exceeded my expectations! Every course was delicious and prepared as ordered. The I loved being able to see some of the dishes being made right near the dining area. The wine list was great and our waiter was friendly and entertaining. I definitely recommend heading to Octagon for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointingKevinDined on 2/14/2014I took my wife to octagon for valentines day. We were dissapointed that the regular menu was not available. When the gave us the special menu there were only 3 entrees to chose from. We both chose the porterhouse. It was undercooked, full of grizzle and fat. I can only compare this to cruise ship dinning, not a 5 star restaurant.Special Features:
- Stay AwayJohnDined on 2/14/2014This place was terrible. The service was bad, the food was bad, the ambiance was bad (felt like I was in a hotel).
- Very disappointedDukeDDined on 2/14/2014We went there on Valentine’s Day for the "special dinner". The waiter could not have been worst.... zero personality, never brought the wine list (it was requested) nor the bread (we asked another waitress who was very attentive to her tables). The food average (and I’m being generous)... the ambiance was not was I expected. We were seated in what appeared to be the 'back room'. Our biggest complain, the waiter and the service... my goodness, why would any restaurant hire someone with such poor hospitality skills? I’ve had better service at Chili’s.
- Valentines DinnerkellyDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant was a very good place to eat. The layout and service is very nice. The food was great and cooked as requested. The music was a little loud at times but conversations could still be held and understood without having to talk too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th DiapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014It was my wife's 40th birthday and her two friends 40+ as well. The food was undercooked the condiments we behind the appetizer. the bartender had no personal" wow" shots or personal recommendations. the restaurant wasn't busy to to lite snow fall, the waitress was friendly but inexperienced on knowledge on the meats ,even though the establishment was a steak restaurant . i wont recommend this spot unless you were driving buy and wanted a quick beer and not budweiser, they didn't have it on tap, and for the enormous prices,we didn't get ours moneys worth and due to our business we tipped outrageously.Special Features:
- Stick to the SteaksZackDined on 2/7/2014My girlfriend and I work at a steakhouse in Rhode Island, decided we'd like to get out of the area for a night. We remembered Octagon from Chowderfest for their Dragon Chowder. They seemed very nice in addition to great chowder so figured it was worth the drive. I suppose the prices were on par for a hotel restaurant ($7 for onion soup, $8 for lobster bisque with hardly any lobster) The french onion was bland. The steaks were cooked to our liking, with a great blend of seasoning. This was the only redeeming quality of the meal. Service was poor. Took nearly 20 minutes for our bottle of wine to arrive on a slow night, and we didn't feel especially welcome. He was nice enough, but didn't go out of his way for hospitality. Wouldn't rush back.
- Worth a Try1foodieDined on 2/1/2014Prices were a little high for the quality of food, but certainly worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations not honoredawsappDined on 1/25/2014I have been eating at Octagon for the last 4 years on Saturday night during the Mystic Seminars - the last 3 I have booked the table via Open Table. This year the reservation was not honored within 30 minutes - it appears that the front of house was left to a hostess that sat walk ins over reservations - my reservation was for 7:00 and we were finally seated at 7:30 after 3 parties of the same size were sated before us. The was very good. The service was minimal. aws
- could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2014We were given an Octagon gift card for our 50th wedding anniversary, while our server was excellent, the food was not exactly the way we ordered, my wife wanted a pink Felet Mignon and got more rare than pink, same with me, our server offered to take it back but one thing that we learned "never send anything back" we were there on Sunday, Jan 19,2014 at 5:00 pm we were the only people in the restaurant at the time although one man came in as we were leaving, the Felet Mignon was small for the amount charged, we had no wine and did not order dessert and the bill was still over $100.000 , we are just a retired couple on a fixed income, we probably will not go back and I will not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Sorry.
- I was very disappointed after1AiredaleDined on 1/18/2014I was very disappointed after reading the reviews. Food was just so-so and the restaurant was quite drab. On a positive note, the breakfast buffet was very good!