Oceano Bistro - Clayton
44 N. Brentwood
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Oceano Bistro - Clayton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://oceanobistro.com/
- Phone: 3147219400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm; Weekend Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jon Lowe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Oceano Bistro is also proud to offer a wide variety of catering options. Our expert chefs will prepare anything from a boxed lunch for 2 to a full service dinner complete with wait staff. You enjoy the party, we do the work. Please feel free to browse our extensive menus consisting of boxed lunches, themed buffet, and amazing plated dinners. More of our menus are available on our website, oceanobistro.com, and will be happy to make your next catered event an amazing success
A word from Oceano Bistro - Clayton
Welcome to Oceano Bistro, St. Louis premiere fresh fish bistro. Our chefs, in partnerships with fishermen, farmers, and food artisans have searched the world's seas to bring the St. Louis area what is enjoyed by those who are living on the coast. We then pair it innovative and exciting fresh local producers and flavor combinations certain to dazzle every discerning palate at prices that are a great value for a great catch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oceano Bistro - Clayton - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Oceano Bistro - Clayton reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (102)fit for foodies (86)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (46)great for lunch (35)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (25)great for brunch (20)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (12)late-night find (8)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I enjoyed and excellent dinner at Oceano Bistro on a last minute reservation without any prior knowledge of the restaurant. Food was excellent and service was prompt and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EMREMRDined on 8/2/2014watermelon appetizer = watermelon was not ripe/sweet and fell flat. although, the sauce was tasty. waiter was clumsy and spilled twice - once on the table with water from a glass and once on a guest shirt and napkin with sauce from a dish. May have been a new waiter so we did decided not make a fuss with his manager and did not inquire as to whether there is a restaurant policy regarding such events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Great Experience!EnjoySTLfoodDined on 8/1/2014Whether for lunch, dinner, or happy hour, we always have a great experience at Oceano. The menu is consistently good, such as the civeche and frito misto. The specials highlight new ways to enjoy seafood, such as the ahi tuna salad and smoked salmon & chopped shrimp salad sandwich on a pretzel bun. The service is always exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb seafoodJBTRVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great preparation, exciting flavors, informed and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Have seen occasional negative reviews regarding service and food. Those probably happened on weekends as we went mid-week and experienced none of that. Restaurant was busy, but not crowded, and were seated immediately. Service was prompt, courteous, and orders came out just as we asked. I had the grilled trout, 2 large fillets, and my wife the salmon. Both were well portioned , extremely tasty, and I considered the pricing equal to the dining experience. We will recommend others to try out, but with preference to weekday, as first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodDenaliVIPDined on 7/21/2014Had a good business dinner at Oceano Bistro. The menu is seafood heavy and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really ExcellentABthreeDined on 7/19/2014Great dining experience with friends! Service was perfect! Food was fabulous! Very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCwoodDined on 7/19/2014First time at Oceano Bistro and very pleased. We will definitely be going back. The Crab Cakes were awesome...Special Features:
- Clayton Restaurant Week visitJoMagDined on 7/18/2014Visited for restaurant week, one of 4 restaurants in Clayton we visited. This restaurant was the only one to have ridiculously small sized servings for the price fixed menu. All 5 of us left hungry including 3 small woman! We ordered cocktails and 2 bottles of wine so they were certainly making money on our table, just don't understand why they felt the need to skimp so much on the food. Left us with the impression that making money was their only motive. Definitely lost the potential for a repeat customer by being so cheap, next time just don't participate in restaurant week!
- Great food, Great experienceSTLFoodieDined on 7/17/2014Made a reservation on open table, very easy as usual. Parking is a little difficult due to the location, but they have valet parking for $4 which is very reasonable. After a swing around the block looking for a parking spot, I opted for the valet. Was greeted promptly at the door and escorted to our table. The table was the only problem we encountered. We were seated at the worst table in the dining room, next to a pillar, out in the main walkway. We asked to be reseated and were without hesitation. Server was very attentive and friendly. The wine and drinks were great and the meal was delicious. My date had the crab cakes and I had the trout. Both were delicious! Overall a great experience and I would go back again!Special Features:
- Oceano, Clayton MOFoodLoverDined on 7/16/2014Nice restaurant for a family meal - just too noisy for a romantic meal though. Straining to hear our server and the noise level in the restaurant made it difficult to have a normal conversation. We ate at 7pm so maybe it was just busy? Mussels had grit in them and the scallops were over spiced. Wouldn't rush back.Special Features:
- salmon serving tinyclaytonrestweekDined on 7/16/2014My salmon was great but so tiny. It was seriously a 2 inch by 2 inch square. The potato pancake under it was twice as big. Other than portion size, the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a restaurantRIffileeVIPDined on 7/13/2014We've eaten at Oceano many times because the food is good consistently, and service is wonderful. Our favorite meals there are lunch and dinner, where we have not had one menu item that wasn't delicious.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerjunebugVIPDined on 7/9/2014We were excited to have dinner at Oceano Bistro after reading the reviews on Open Table but were very disappointed in our dinners. I ordered halibut that was quite expensive. My piece of fish was small and so dried out that it crumbled. The sauce on my husband's sea bass was so overpowering he could not taste the fish. The restaurant was very attractively decorated and the service was very good but the food was not worth the visit.Special Features:
- Oceano BistroKooterDined on 7/8/2014Sean, our server was friendly and suggested several items off the menu. The Manager (name not known) went out of his way to complete our drink order. The atmosphere was relaxing which made our dining experience more enjoyable. Our meals expertly prepares and very tasty. Our hats are off to Sean, the Manager and Chef. We would certainly visit again on our next trip to St. Louis Jane&PaulSpecial Features:
- NiceFirstvisitDined on 7/8/2014My husband and I received a gift certificate for oceano. The food was good (I don't like seafood so I really can't leave a fair comment). The cucumber martini was excellent and the service was great. The prices are high so we probably won't be back for dinner.Special Features:
- Superior Service with Great Food!trinitiVIPDined on 7/5/2014I asked the server about a dish they used to have on the menu, and after a quick chat with the chef, they said they could still make it for me. They said if there were other entrees I wanted but didn't see on the menu, just ask, and if they have the ingredients and can, they would do it. How nice of them! Every bite of my seafood alfredo pasta was delicious! Not to mention the bread and oil, the chowder, and the flourless chocolate torte! Oh! And my friend got the beef tenderloin, which you wouldn't usually consider at a seafood restaurant, but it made us all drool and want to order it on our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough steakesSkipDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I ordered the 8oz. tenderloin steak as we had in the past. The steaks were ordered cooked medium as we had several times before. The steaks arrived cooked rare and very tough. I informed the waitress of this and she took the stakes back to cook more. They were still too tough to chew when they were returned. The waitress was informed of this, but she made no effort to replace the steaks.
- Exceptional dinnerloftdwellerDined on 7/5/2014We brought guest for dinner and the meal was exceptional. We started with salads and flatbread. I had the sea bass with spinach which was perfectly cooked. Overcooked fish can be so dry but this was moist and flavorful. The menu offered a variety of fish and sea food options. I appreciated that the menu indicated the gluten free items for one of our guest who must eat gluten free. The wait staff was attentive without being intrusive in our conversation.Special Features:
- Mixed opinionsJodiVIPDined on 7/3/2014Had sea bass with spinach, tomatoes and a broth from their lighter menu. This was preceded by spinach salad. Sea bass was cooked just to the flaky point and was perfect. I have no complaints about my food; however my dining companion had some issues with his clam chowder which he liked but thought was too small for $10. His pasta dish with shrimp was just warm and some of the strands of pasta were stuck together. However, the overall taste was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty AwfulBraseGigantiVIPDined on 7/3/2014We've enjoyed Oceano in the past, but on this occasion, everything was flat-out wrong. The main issue: the server had to return to our table twice, each time to tell us that 1-2 things we had ordered were no longer on the menu. This wasted almost an hour, since we were not notified until well after this or that course was served. Servers should ALWAYS know what is off menu and what is in short supply, but ours didn't seem very interested. What DID come out was badly prepared, particularly an overdone beef tenderloin (ordered medium rare) that simply looked slopped onto the plate. Adding insult to injury, both the server and the manager tried to convince us none of this was their fault. We won't be returning.
- Good as everldgaffVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great seafood, great service, reasonable prices will go againSpecial Features:
- love2dineDined on 7/2/2014The food was quite good - on the expensive side. Caesar salad very good. We had a very nice waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Oceano Bistro is always a special occasion. The servers are well trained: attentive, knowlegable and unassuming. Each dish is a perfect meld of flavors. St. Louis enjoys many fine restaurants but Oceano Bistro stands alone with a perfect mix of menu items, professional staff in a friendly yet upscale space.Special Features:
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014This is a great place for a date night or group dining. The food is consistently good. The staff is very attentive also. The specials off the menu are always delicious and creative.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodemily123Dined on 6/28/2014Oceano consistanly provides an excellent dining experience. Best seabass in the area!Special Features:
- WOW!!!FoodieReviewerVIPDined on 6/26/2014This is place is over the top amazing with the outstanding food, drinks and very pleasant and professional service of the staff! From the moment we walked in, we were instantly greeted with a warm friendly smile, and that service didn't end until we left. We were very impressed with the food choices our server recommended from the appetizers to the entrée, we were not disappointed. There is only ONE Oceano Bistro...and definitely has the 'WOW' factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fishgood13anatevkaVIPDined on 6/26/2014Summer menu is an excellent change. Good ambience on a weekday night.Special Features:
- ConsistantlocalfindDined on 6/25/2014Great food in a pleasant atmosphere - plus within walking distance from home ! Food quality is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerLelandGirlDined on 6/22/2014Had a great dinner at Oceano Bistro. I ordered the scallops. They were cooked perfectly. The portabello mushrooms and roasted garlic were tender and flavorful. My guest's dinner, Warm Water Sea Bass, was excellent. The restaurant was nice, quiet and tastefully decorated. Service was good. We never felt rushed or hurried. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Love this place!DardenneGalDined on 6/21/2014We've had some great seafood meals in New Orleans, San Francisco and Seattle. Oceano Bistro ranks right up there! We've been to the Clayton location many times and never had a bad dish from the appetizers to the main dishes to the desserts. I can't list all the great items we've had...too many to include! It's a little noisy on Friday and Saturday so it might not be the place for a romantic dinner. Week nights are usually more subdued. The excellent food and service make this restaurant one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Outstandingdfs109Dined on 6/21/2014The food was outstanding. The service was great. This was our first time and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MarriedFoodiesDined on 6/21/2014First time customer...long time foodies! Seriously, this was easily in my top 5 meals of a lifetime!!!! My husband and I consider ourselves foodies; we love to cook, love to experiment with new tastes. When we eat out we are always tasting each other's food to figure out how to recreate the dishes at home. I've always wanted to try a ceviche...CHECK! Was NOT disappointed! My husband got the walleye, loved every bite of it! I got the warm sea bass. Again, was NOT disappointed! But the highlight of our meal was that amazing roasted pepper puree' in the olive oil served with bread...OMG!!! This I cannot wait to duplicate! The pepper flavor was so pure and amazing! THANK YOU for an amazing dining experience!!! We will be returning!!!Special Features:
- Good as everldgaffVIPDined on 6/20/2014Oceano is one of our favorite seafood restaurants. They always have a great selection and the service is always greatSpecial Features:
- DisappointingjoamDined on 6/17/2014I have been to Oceano Bistro numerous times and am finding the interior looks tired and old. The food quality has also slipped. I ordered the Market Bistro Salad with Salmon on top and the lettuce did not seem fresh, salad was somewhat bare looking, and the salmon had little flavor. I think either the menu needs to be revitalized or the preparation stepped up a bit.
- allistroDined on 6/13/2014My recent visit to Oceano Bistro was great! The service was great and the atmosphere lively, but not too loud, for a Friday night. The mussels were absolutely amazing. I just love the sauce with the mussels. I really liked the sea bass. The flavor was great and the risotto that came with it was so good. My friend raved over the spinach salad as a starter and scallops. For the price the portions were a nice size. It was all so good we had no room for dessert. I can't wait to eat here again.Special Features:
- kathleenluvs2shopVIPDined on 6/8/2014Typically I love Oceana, but this visit was disappointing. They were out of Scallops, their Martini pour was below average and we had to ask for bread service. What food we did have was average, nothing exceptional to get excited about.Special Features:
- Wandering DinerCajunDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I enjoyed our evening at the Oceanos restaurant. Our server went out of his way to make our experience very pleasant as this was our 45th wedding anniversary. The only negative about the experience was the noise level. It was too loud. The food and drink was excellent both in presentation and in taste.Special Features:
- great food; poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/7/2014Our dinner was expertly prepared but our evening was spoiled by our server. We felt very rushed. I was still chewing when the waiter removed my plate. My wife was barely half finsihed with her dinner when the waiter asked if he could remover hers. We heard more about our server's personal life (& htat of his cousin) than we ever wanted to know.Special Features:
- Great but oops!DisappointingVIPDined on 6/7/2014We greatly enjoyed our food and service. It was a delightful dinner until the bill came--on a $200+ check, Josh, a manager, made our server charge us $3 for the extra olives ordered with two drinks. The server did not tell us there would be an upcharge when ordering (he was unaware) but Josh, lacking good judgment and any sense of proportion, insisted. While another manager removed the charge, the evening was diminished by this stupidity.