505 Main St
Evanston, IL 60202Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oceanique.com/
- Phone: (847) 864-3435
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Mark Grosz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Bar Menu available
Monday's = No Corkage
Wednesday's = Maine Lobster $25
A word from Oceanique
Oceanique is an eclectic seafood restaurant in the French-American style. Oceanique continues to garner acclaim as one of the Chicago area"s finest restaurants. Since 1993, Oceanique has been ranked as the number one seafood restaurant in the Chicago metropolitan area by the prestigious Zagat Guide. In all of our preparations we endeavor to use the finest organic produce and seafood from sustainable, eco-friendly sources. And with its extensive wine list featuring over 800 carefully selected fine wines, Oceanique has won Wine Spectator Magazine's coveted "Best of Award of Excellence" every year since 1994 being recognized as having one of the 750 best wine lists in the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Oceanique - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Oceanique reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)fit for foodies (51)romantic (36)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (2)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Should remember to come here more oftenroboDined on 11/15/2014Food was terrific and the service impeccable. the bouillabaisse was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014This restaurant did not hold up to its past reputation. We were terribly disappointed in the food selections and preparation. The service was slow and we waited a very long time for our first drink....others as well. Considering the cost, this was not money well spent.Special Features:
- DivineMelon1122VIPDined on 11/8/2014We had an amazing dinner at Oceanique. Diverse menu offers something for everyone. Fabulously fresh fish and seafood, delicious meat dishes -- everything is served with a unique flair. A shrimp and calamari salad served over asian-style vegetables and the lightly smoked salmon appetizers were standouts. The foie gras and pate were outstanding. Traditional bouillabaisse was perfectly cooked; the quail with foie gras and spaetzle were a perfect combination. Do splurge on dessert, it's worth it. Compliments to the chef. The service was attentive but not fawning. We continue to discuss how wonderful the meal was, even weeks later. A special treat.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceAndyVIPDined on 11/8/2014Four of us dined on Saturday night? Likes: Food across the board was excellent with an outstanding lamb entree, professional and attentive service, nicely spaced tables, and restaurant honored our special request for a special celebration. Dislikes: Atmosphere was modern, sparkling clean and warm; however, white subway tiles in the dining room weren't an ideal choice. Overall, I give Oceanique an excellent ratingSpecial Features:
- classic old schoolFoodCriticVIPDined on 11/7/2014Wonderful old school gracious restaurant. Foie gras is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014Great Service, food was fantastic, I had seen that portions were small, however our portions were appropriate for the White Table Cloth level dining we enjoyed. Wine list is excellent, we will be sure to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely EveningMarriedAFoodieDined on 11/1/2014We had been to Oceanique a few years ago and had always meant to return. We were surprised at the gorgeous renovation when we arrived. The ambience is warm, vibrant and stylishly modern. We chose a five course meal which delivered on delicious, artfully prepared food. The wine list is small but offers beautiful wines that you can also purchase 1/2 bottles of, which in our case is brilliant, because only one of us drinks wine. Impeccable service added to making this an exceptional dining experience. We'll be back, even for a cocktail and appetizers at the inviting bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST restaurant!PampVIPDined on 10/29/2014We loved celebrating our anniversary at Oceanique! Outstanding, attentive service, as always. Thoughtful menu with signature dishes as well as seasonal standouts. The lobster was superb. My husband loved his Pacific Swordfish. No place better on the North Shore and ranks first among Chicago restaurants, as well! Hats off to Oceanique!Special Features:
- Clip Joint SupremeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014The food was good, but greatly overpriced. I will never return.
- Great foodKjgrDined on 10/14/2014We always enjoy Oceanique and last night was no different. The food and service were great. The corn soup had an unusual but pleasing taste, and both the salmon and swordfish dishes melted in your mouth.Special Features:
- Oceanique RevisitedAldoDined on 10/11/2014Food and ambiance were great! Wine list also top notch. Service from everyone except our waiter was excellent. He seemed disinterested. Oceanique does a great job with details. It was our anniversary and I had asked if they could make it special without being ostentatious. Staff carried out my request flawlessly. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, niot greatFoodiemanDined on 10/3/2014We used a Groupon and it still costs $85 each out the door. I'm glas we didn't pay full price. The food was very good, but certainly not in my top ten (or even thirty, as I think about it). Plates were hot, which is a plus, but food was not as hot as it should have been, which is a huge minus. Service was good, not great. I lived in France for for years, and I can't think of one thing that made this "French-American" as it says on the window. That's fine, but why say it? I can't say we were disappointed, but we won't go back.
- Excellent FoodJeanrrDined on 9/29/2014The service was very good. One thing for sure is that they do not rush you out the door which is great. The food was very good. It's expensive so I would only go again for a special occasion. If they have an early evening price fixe menu I would go back more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent seafoodDineMeVIPDined on 9/27/2014The best seafood in the Chicagoland area. Ever changing & always inventive dishes of seafood.Special Features:
- An Absolute TreatGraceylouwhooDined on 9/27/2014Oceanique is a fabulous experience from beginning to end. Knowledgeable servers, exquisite food and drink, lovely environment. It's a perfect place for an intimate celebration, we love coming for our anniversary every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014Decided to head a little more North than usual and find a restaurant in Evanston. Such a good decision to try Oceanique. The drinks were strong and the food was absolutely incredible. We had one of the scallop dishes, two salads and a filet that were all to die for. Cooked perfectly, seasoned perfectly, the whole meal was perfect. The service was just as good. The restaurant has interesting decor, not as nice as you would expect given the food, service and prices. Not a big deal at all though. Will absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 9/25/2014We were interviewing a person from California. He was impressed with Oceanique. All four of us ordered seafood and we were pleased. The fish was cooked to our specifications. My wife and I have eaten at Oceanique over the years and we are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Great foodallgoodDined on 9/24/2014Excellent food. Style is a bit overdone (even pompous) for my taste but others will probably like it.Special Features:
- Delicious!Clement95Dined on 9/23/2014We had a LS for 5course dinner for 2. Oceanique did not disappoint. Chef selection tuna tartar 1st course was exquisite- pesto infused olive oil, mm.. the soup with delectable pieces of lobster, unbelievable .. hints of mint, a rich finish.. scallops, perfectly seared, an Asian-fusion inspired theme.. probably the best scallops I've tasted.. little break with mouth cleansing, neat and clean, passion fruit sorbet; main: salmon and tuna entree.. tuna seared perfectly on the outside while tender flavorful inside.. the salmon: perfectly pink, full of mouth watering flavors.. our desserts.. oh the desserts! Nailed it perfectly.. mocha mousse with flakes of chocolate and fruit.. the other .. pecan caramel topped with fruit & ice cream.. mmmm!Special Features:
- Never failsJojoVIPDined on 9/13/2014I don't go to Oceanique often, but when I do, it is consistently wonderful. I love the low-key atmosphere paired with excellent food. We usually do the tasting menu because it's so well done, but it is equally nice to order off the menu. Not many restaurants in Evanston or the North Shore quite like this one.Special Features:
- Expensive dessertsplcmtVIPDined on 9/13/2014Enjoyed our dinner very much. Prices are high and (except for dessert) well worth it. Food is excellent: fresh, well prepared and nicely presented. Dessert (although good) is WAY overpriced-$13!! The W. dining room is very enjoyable--to ensure seating in this room be sure to request it when making a reservation. Unlike previous experiences, we had an excellent waiter (Alan) whose service matched the prices. We would recommend this restaurant, but suggest skipping (or sharing) dessert.Special Features:
- simply the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014One the real gems in chicago. Great! Every time. The menu is fantastic, the service professional, and the food is out of this world. The combination of flavors and presentation is the best. Oceanique is a must do.Special Features:
- OutstandingenjoygreatfoodDined on 9/5/2014Oceanique is fine dining at its best. The ambiance and service are excellent. The wine list is extensive. The food is exquisite. The chef is a creative genius. I highly recommend a visit here especially for a special occasion.Special Features:
- consistent excellencechrisvwVIPDined on 8/30/2014we've visited oceanique many times over the years, and the food and service are always top-notch. chef uses only pristine ingredients, and the presentations are works of art. a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 8/30/2014This was a great dining experience. The restaurant was relatively small and intimate with a simple but elegant decor. The service was prompt, and efficient without being intrusive. The food was superb: excellent presentation with balanced flavors and combinations. We all enjoyed this evening a great deal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Great food. Expensive wine list. Wine by glass offered in 1/2 or full glass. Full glass was a half.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WethrilltogoodfoodDined on 8/29/2014The food was exquisite but a bit skimpy on several plates, and the server forgot that one guest specifically requested no escargot with her steak. Thus, the plate went back and several minutes passed, of course, before her meal was re-served. At $275 per couple, we don't take such mistakes lightly. An interesting and memorable experience, especially when the bill came.Special Features:
- Dining ExtraordinaireDinerAvecVousDined on 8/26/2014Chef always provides an exceptional experience. The food is superb. The ambience elegant and relaxing. Seating at our usual table adds to the fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evanston's gemch73VIPDined on 8/23/2014Our fourth or fifth visit and second for a special occasion. Service continues to be excellent and the food keeps getting better. We'll keep it on our short list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceKathyRDined on 8/18/2014We always love dining at Oceanique - the food never disappoints, and the sommelier's selections to match the food are right on. Restaurant staff are just the right amount of attentive. A bit pricey, but worth it, especially if you love good seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A TreatJoanzeVIPDined on 8/16/2014After consistently dining with Oceanique for over 8 years the food is consistently wonderful, both preparation and service is flawless. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Gabyg6VIPDined on 8/2/2014We went to this restaurant because it was on groupon.Thought it was going to be like Michale of Winnetka (far from it) When you advertise on groupon you should do your best to attract people and serve the best food so people come back. Fish was 1x2 inch if it wasn't for bread we would have to go to McDonalds to finish our diner.
- The following 614 reviews are from the Oceanique reviews archive.
- Special EveningVisitorVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had visitors who were up for a great meal. So we of course got reservations at Oceanique on Thursday night. Everyone ended up ordering different things and each dish was amazing. The chef visited the table twice! And we got plenty of special 'from the chef' extra tastes. Such a fun night. Wine was wonderful as well. They offer full and half glasses; which is nice if you want to try a few different things, or just want a cocktail and wine, but still keep your senses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDined on 6/28/2014We went there for an anniversary dinner. They had heart shaped confetti on our table. The food was great and the wine list was extensive, but the sommalier was very helpful. The only complaint was the wait service was at times less than attentive. However, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware: Dining Room not guaranteedMarkDined on 6/21/2014We made a reservation months in advance to celebrate our son's college graduation-- and got seated at a table in the bar area! We asked for a different table in the lovely dining room and they told us there was no space available. We asked how this could be when we had a reservation and they said they don't differentiate between tables (really?). We asked if we could wait, and they said it would be at least an hour wait. So our family paid $500 for a celebration dinner in the bar, 15 feet from the door, with two of us looking into the dining room (and kitchen) and two looking at a wall. When we make a reservation at a restaurant of this level, especially for a special occasion, we don't expect a table in the bar. It was inexcusable.
- graduation dinnerlalaDined on 6/20/2014Somewhat disappointed. Famly went for special dinner to celebrate Northwestern graduation. Food was good, but not inspired. mains were all disappointing, desserts were great. Didn't live up to hypeSpecial Features:
- Over PricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014The food and service were great, but both the food and drinks were substantially over priced. I wouldn't return unless someone else was buying.
- GoodfoodDined on 6/19/2014Love this place, can't go as often as I would like because I live in the city but the food and the staff is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingValentineGuyDined on 6/18/2014Oceanique gets better and better. This is a world-class restaurant right in the neighborhood. We remarked at how well it compared to the very best meals we've had in Burgundy and San Sebastian, Spain. Perfect for an intimate birthday or anniversary celebration. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Very good, but very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014The food is excellent, but the wines, while good, were unexpectedly overpriced. There is not a glass of wine less than $16, and the accompanying tasting (which adds up to about 2.5 glasses of wine) was $69. We had a gift certificate for a 5-course tasting for 2 (value of $160). After adding the tax, tip and wine, our "free" meal cost $150. If money is no object, I highly recommend it, but I would not be able to justify paying full price for the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.