505 Main St
Evanston, IL 60202Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oceanique.com/
- Phone: 8478643435x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Mark Grosz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Bar Menu available
Monday's = No Corkage
Wednesday's = Maine Lobster $25
A word from Oceanique
Oceanique is an eclectic seafood restaurant in the French-American style. Oceanique continues to garner acclaim as one of the Chicago area"s finest restaurants. Since 1993, Oceanique has been ranked as the number one seafood restaurant in the Chicago metropolitan area by the prestigious Zagat Guide. In all of our preparations we endeavor to use the finest organic produce and seafood from sustainable, eco-friendly sources. And with its extensive wine list featuring over 800 carefully selected fine wines, Oceanique has won Wine Spectator Magazine's coveted "Best of Award of Excellence" every year since 1994 being recognized as having one of the 750 best wine lists in the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Oceanique - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Oceanique reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)fit for foodies (48)romantic (34)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- consistent excellencechrisvwVIPDined on 8/30/2014we've visited oceanique many times over the years, and the food and service are always top-notch. chef uses only pristine ingredients, and the presentations are works of art. a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014This was a great dining experience. The restaurant was relatively small and intimate with a simple but elegant decor. The service was prompt, and efficient without being intrusive. The food was superb: excellent presentation with balanced flavors and combinations. We all enjoyed this evening a great deal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Great food. Expensive wine list. Wine by glass offered in 1/2 or full glass. Full glass was a half.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WethrilltogoodfoodDined on 8/29/2014The food was exquisite but a bit skimpy on several plates, and the server forgot that one guest specifically requested no escargot with her steak. Thus, the plate went back and several minutes passed, of course, before her meal was re-served. At $275 per couple, we don't take such mistakes lightly. An interesting and memorable experience, especially when the bill came.Special Features:
- Evanston's gemch73VIPDined on 8/23/2014Our fourth or fifth visit and second for a special occasion. Service continues to be excellent and the food keeps getting better. We'll keep it on our short list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceKathyRDined on 8/18/2014We always love dining at Oceanique - the food never disappoints, and the sommelier's selections to match the food are right on. Restaurant staff are just the right amount of attentive. A bit pricey, but worth it, especially if you love good seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A TreatJoanzeVIPDined on 8/16/2014After consistently dining with Oceanique for over 8 years the food is consistently wonderful, both preparation and service is flawless. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Gabyg6VIPDined on 8/2/2014We went to this restaurant because it was on groupon.Thought it was going to be like Michale of Winnetka (far from it) When you advertise on groupon you should do your best to attract people and serve the best food so people come back. Fish was 1x2 inch if it wasn't for bread we would have to go to McDonalds to finish our diner.
- Special EveningVisitorVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had visitors who were up for a great meal. So we of course got reservations at Oceanique on Thursday night. Everyone ended up ordering different things and each dish was amazing. The chef visited the table twice! And we got plenty of special 'from the chef' extra tastes. Such a fun night. Wine was wonderful as well. They offer full and half glasses; which is nice if you want to try a few different things, or just want a cocktail and wine, but still keep your senses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDined on 6/28/2014We went there for an anniversary dinner. They had heart shaped confetti on our table. The food was great and the wine list was extensive, but the sommalier was very helpful. The only complaint was the wait service was at times less than attentive. However, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware: Dining Room not guaranteedMarkDined on 6/21/2014We made a reservation months in advance to celebrate our son's college graduation-- and got seated at a table in the bar area! We asked for a different table in the lovely dining room and they told us there was no space available. We asked how this could be when we had a reservation and they said they don't differentiate between tables (really?). We asked if we could wait, and they said it would be at least an hour wait. So our family paid $500 for a celebration dinner in the bar, 15 feet from the door, with two of us looking into the dining room (and kitchen) and two looking at a wall. When we make a reservation at a restaurant of this level, especially for a special occasion, we don't expect a table in the bar. It was inexcusable.
- graduation dinnerlalaDined on 6/20/2014Somewhat disappointed. Famly went for special dinner to celebrate Northwestern graduation. Food was good, but not inspired. mains were all disappointing, desserts were great. Didn't live up to hypeSpecial Features:
- Over PricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014The food and service were great, but both the food and drinks were substantially over priced. I wouldn't return unless someone else was buying.
- GoodfoodDined on 6/19/2014Love this place, can't go as often as I would like because I live in the city but the food and the staff is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingValentineGuyDined on 6/18/2014Oceanique gets better and better. This is a world-class restaurant right in the neighborhood. We remarked at how well it compared to the very best meals we've had in Burgundy and San Sebastian, Spain. Perfect for an intimate birthday or anniversary celebration. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Very good, but very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014The food is excellent, but the wines, while good, were unexpectedly overpriced. There is not a glass of wine less than $16, and the accompanying tasting (which adds up to about 2.5 glasses of wine) was $69. We had a gift certificate for a 5-course tasting for 2 (value of $160). After adding the tax, tip and wine, our "free" meal cost $150. If money is no object, I highly recommend it, but I would not be able to justify paying full price for the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From start to finish-outstandingLunchedVIPDined on 6/13/2014Food, service, atmosphere, Oceanique is one of the top restaurants in Chicago. Unpretentious and they serve real food, not foams. The food is plated beautifully, the service is gracious, the room setting is comfortable.Special Features:
- magnetgrrlDined on 6/7/2014This was a great place to bring an intimate date, if you're OK with spending some $$$. It was quiet, the waitstaff was unobtrusive but helpful, and overall very classy. I would definitely have another special occasion here again.Special Features:
- RogerDined on 6/6/2014Diner was delicious and my guests loved it. (Not cheap though and despite the wonderful wine list, $80 is more than I usually spend on wine and that seemed the "average" for decent wines).Special Features:
- glzgrlVIPDined on 6/6/2014First time and was pleasantly surprised. The service was outstanding and the food was excellent. I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful presentationsthoDined on 6/5/2014we had the 5 course tasting menu and almost everything was delicious and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- TORiaJVIPDined on 6/2/2014Best restaurant in Chicago area for seafood--bar none. Excellent salads, foie gras and duck too. Always a warm welcome and pretty surroundings.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/28/2014Fabulous, amazing food, unpretentious and friendly service. Splurge on a wine pairing...it is totally worth it. Does not get much better. Ever.Special Features:
- Oceanique’s renovation is perfect.LuckylucyDined on 5/24/2014I hadn’t been to Oceanique in years. The food was always exceptional but interior was left in the ’80’s. Not anymore! Clean, modern & sophisticated has replaced old & tired. The service was excellent from the minute we walked in the door. It’s hard to find restaurants that still do proper service these days. ‘Tho service is standout it’s not intimidating & stuffy. Friendly, helpful & laid back was vibe the night we were there. We were celebrating our anniversary which I mentioned in our OpenTable reservation & they had a romantic little booth they placed us in. It looked like it might be near a kitchen door but it wasn’t. This is an expensive restaurant but I have seen them on Groupon & they offer deals if you are on their email list.Special Features:
- Like Standing on the Street ...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014…. in fact, a great deal like standing on the street. And pulling at a locked door. With my wife of one year by my side and our limo now out of site. Only to find out that the special meal I had arranged for our anniversary was not to be. Because the restaurant which accepted our reservation is inexplicably closed. Locked. Empty. And here we are in Evanston--far away from all of my "plan B" choices. So thanks for the ruined plans, Oceanique.Special Features:
- Good, Not greatLaughNplayDined on 5/24/2014We went there for our wedding anniversary. Very professional service and excellent dessert. The total dining experience was good, but for the price, we were expecting something outstanding. Main lobster was lost in overpowering sauce and basil mashed potatoes. Filet was good, but did not come with escargot as was described and was just ok where flavor was concerned. While the experience was high end, including an amuse bouche and the services of a sommelier, the food was good, not great. The decor was also very simple. A little glitz/glam might add to the experience and help justify the menu prices.Special Features:
- Worth every penny....NancyDDined on 5/23/2014...even though the restaurant is very pricey. The food was outstanding, beautifully served. An amuse bouche plus an intermezzo were offered. The portions were appropriate. I was served the best bouillabaisse I have ever tasted. The service was impeccable. This was an outstanding meal - all 6 in our party agree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Birthday CelebrationsStevieTeeDined on 5/15/2014The food was excellent and the service was superlative. When making the reservation I indicated we would be celebrating my Wife's birthday. The staff acknowledged her special day and provided an excellent dessert topped with a candle. Although it was a mid-week event three others were celebrating their birthdays too. The staff are respectful and are not overly attentive - the service was 'just right'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Of The Best!Jackxy21Dined on 5/14/2014I recently made reservations at Oceanique to entertain two of my clients as it was one restaurant they had yet to visit. Again, as always the staff was ah-mazing, the food was tantalizing to the palate, and overall a successful dinner on many levels. This is one of may fav. go to spots in Evanston. We are lucky and privileged to have this wonderful place so close to home.Special Features:
- 1st visitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/14/2014Loved the unique food; loved the Wednesday $25 lobster deal; loved the impeccable service...what we didn't love was the fishy smell that hit us as we entered the door. For the prices charged, I didn't appreciate that smell--I like to eat fish; not smell it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLocalDinerVIPDined on 5/9/2014But I find the wine prices very high ! Don't they believe in a "moderate" price- below $70, say in the $40-60 range ?Special Features:
- The following 591 reviews are from the Oceanique reviews archive.
- Spectacular mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2014Wife I were looking for a special meal to celebrate our anniversary. Oceanique delivered & then some. The ambiance & service were excellent and the food was spectacular. Lots of tastes on every plate, all imaginatively combined to make a true eating adventure. We had chicken liver mousse & roasted oysters as starters. Both were great. Who would think to flavor oysters with saffron & ginger? Sounds odd, tasted amazing. The sea bass main was excellent too, served with a melange of vegetable flavors & a bit of smokey bacon. We had a great time, and will go back for the Bouillabaisse that looked & smelled so good at the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic. Well worth every bite!LosAngelesVisitorVIPDined on 5/2/2014I live in CA, and have wanted to dine here my last 3 visits to Chicago, but never had opportunity. It was well worth the car ride. A delightful dining experience! I opted for the tasting menu with wine pairing (a must!), and EVERY SINGLE DISH and pairing were truly delectable, and thoroughly designed to compliment each other (and tantalize the palate). YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The chef came out to speak with us, and was truly gracious and enchanting. It is evident that he takes great pride in his craft, and every aspect of the dining experience. The servers and staff - simply lovely. The sommelier, very attentive and went above the norm in explaining the wine selections vis-à-vis the food. BRAVO!!Special Features:
- High quality high end restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/2014Great food, great staff. The portions were a little small but very tasty. We had the 5 course deal from Living Social. I would come here again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Pricier than I rememberAmyPDined on 4/12/2014However. . . the service was wonderful I don't remember in detail how it looked before the current remodeling, but it a lovely and inviting restaurant the entry is very pretty smiley staff at the host stand unfortunately we were out for an ordinary Saturday night with friends, and should have consulted the menu before going to Oceanique- it is more money than I remembered the food is presented beautifully everything was fresh and tasty- I enjoyed my food very much- I had the vegetarian entree my husband ordered the beat salad and it was gorgeous and delicious- a meal in itself on a side note, our friends were slightly grumpy, so our waiter brought a special dessert for them we would return... without the friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first time atDebbyDined on 4/12/2014This was our first time at Oceanique and we were delighted with everything about the experience. The service was impeccable and every course of the dinner was delicious and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- It Keeps Getting BetterSPICYVIPDined on 4/5/2014We have been dining at Oceanique since it opened ad every meal has been memorable. The basics stay the same but the flavors change in subtle and interesting ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still on the top.CLO50VIPDined on 3/29/2014We've been enjoying Oceanique for over 15 years. Chef Mark is still playing his "A" game! The food is spot-on. The new decor is a very enjoyable touch. This is truly one of the best all around fine dining restaurants in the Chicago burbs. A definite not-to-miss place.Special Features:
- WE HAD THE DEGUSTACION 7 COURSEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014WE HAD THE DEGUSTACION 7 COURSE MENU, AND IT WAS EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some restaurants are way tooOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2014Some restaurants are way too exotic for us, but Oceanique served up a perfect balance of extremes: a superb example of taking ordinary, you-can-buy-it-anywhere seafood and preparing it in unique ways that were a culinary adventure, yet also dishes we could easily recognize and appreciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.