Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
400 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6198582277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Reservations Recommended; Thanksgiving - Closed; Christmas Eve - 5-8pm; Christmas Day - Closed; New Years Eve - 5-11pm; New Years Day - 5-11pm Easter sunday - 12pm -8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sean Langlais
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
Holiday Parties at the Oceanaire - An uncommonly tasteful affair. Call for reservations. As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including steak-cut Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole or bluefin tuna. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire. See you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (132)romantic (93)fit for foodies (71)notable wine list (65)good for groups (42)vibrant bar scene (33)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (19)late-night find (13)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Staff & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The ambiance and the food was great. The staff went all out to help us celebrate a special birthday. Your name gets typed on the menu along with Birthday Wishes. It was a wow factor. It's well worth it.Special Features:
- Great seafood dining experienceAZDinersDined on 9/13/2014Elegant but comfortable atmosphere; most of the patrons were dressed very casually. There was an extensive selection of fresh oysters that were available a la carte. The dozen we ordered were fresh, cold and came with a cheat sheet. We both ordered Alaskan halibut with the Louis preparation with fresh crab meat. The fish was fresh, expertly prepared, as was the crab. Just outstanding. Our server, Cindy was great, knowledgeable, friendly and professional. Neither dismissive nor intrusive. Save room for dessert. The Key Lime pie and the cheesecake were both excellent, big enough to share but we couldn't agree on just one. Large wine and cocktail selection. Not cheap but we both were totally satisfied.Special Features:
- Service amazingBeliDined on 9/13/2014Mike our server explained the menu in depth to us and enthusiastically. The shark was amazing. The shrimp to start came with a mustard tasting sauce if you don't like mustard, but the shrimp alone were meaty and delicious. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodJoeinColoradoVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great seafood, great service, we'll be back. Great waiter with great suggestions and a fun attitude, a true professional.Special Features:
- Old fashioned elegancenonameVIPDined on 9/7/2014Always so nice to dine at Oceanaire, and this celebration of my husband's birthday was no exception. Everything about it is wonderful -- the ambiance, the service, the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be great...greatItaly1Dined on 9/6/2014This is our second time visiting this restaurant. The first time, quality was excellent, staff was knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Prices are steep but expected in an upscale restaurant with fine quality. This second visit was not a good one. The calamari, one of our faves, was dry and way overcooked, the pasta was lukewarm and the waiter was not allergy knowledgeable nor did it seem the chefs were either. They were very special event friendly as we were celebrating a 60th anniversary and did special menus and a special dessert. Needless to say, with all the competition in the Gaslamp district of San Diego, we will look elsewhere for our seafood fix.Special Features:
- Great experienceJohnDined on 9/5/2014We had six and the waiter was fantastic, food excellent and a round table was prefix for exclusive conversation. Great night.
- LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!RitaDined on 8/30/2014FANTASTIC from start to finish! My boyfriend and I came for our birthdays- They put our names on our menus with a Happy Birthday to each of us- our waitress Cary (Carie?) was fantastic! I have particular food needs and they met every one without any problem. My tuna was perfect- ruby red and sweet -(no "fishy" taste at all). My boyfriend's swordfish was fantastic (and I usually dislike that type of fish - but here it was excellent). Wonderful side dishes, salad appetizers - and a nice apple crumb cake with excellent vanilla bean ice cream as our birthday gift from the restaurant. We were happy campers and we eat at a lot of fine dining restaurants all over Southern CA and this is on our list as one of the BEST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUtstanding meal at OceanaireDineDined on 8/30/2014Service was excellent- our server was attentive and friendly; offered suggestions for our meal. We did not feel rushed between courses. The food was outstanding- perfect proportions; food was fresh, hot; good presentation. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014If not the best Crab Cakes I have ever had they are in the running!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood successcolomomDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed dining here upon recommendation from a friend. Took a recommendation from the waiter on one entrée with their unique preparations, which was completely worth the trust. They worked with us on the other to swap out the application of sauce and it worked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinnesotaMVPDined on 8/26/2014Best Crab Cakes in the world. Also very good seafood and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The food was excellent and our waiter's recommendations were spot on...as was his personality and demeanor. His name was Sean, and he did an outstanding job making our dinner very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findFoodieDined on 8/23/2014The food was great. We both had whitefish, prepared by one of the chef creations of the night. We both felt our dishes were amazing. We paired our fish with the Brussels sprouts and au gratin potatoes. The service was also great. We happened to order what the server recommended, and we were not disappointed. The price is what you would expect from a higher end restaurant, around 100$/person (wine, no dessert). If I am to be a critic...the only area that I could criticize would be the table seating arrangement. The seating is arranged almost family style around the inside perimeter of the dining area. Reservations are definitely recommended and it would be worth the time to request private seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/21/2014We had been told this was THE place to go for great seafood, but our experience was the complete opposite. Caesar salad had an odd taste, asparagus looked like tree stalks and tasted like it. My wife had the shrimp scampi linguine featuring overcooked shrimp, dry pasta, and angel hair rather than linguine. This place was supposed to be "Off the Hook" but never made it. Extremely over-priced for the lack luster food and ambiance. Dress code varied from beach bum gear to high fashion. The overall experience was confusing and very disappointing. Don't waste your money.
- Wonderful diningluluDined on 8/21/2014We went for my birthday. It was wonderful in all ways, food, ambiance, and service, it is pricy but wot hit. Their crab cakes are wonderful as was the swordfish and the cold shellfish platter. We also had the basic mixed green salad which was quite large but very basic. We also shared a baked Alaska which was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ServiceclrhoVIPDined on 8/20/2014We ate from the Happy Hour and Full Menu after 9pm. The ceviche was more than enough for one person.Special Features:
- OverpricedsanmonDined on 8/18/2014Very expensive for average quality prepared halibut. Over cooked and smothered in a Parmesan sauce. Service above reproach.
- Terrible service !!!UlysesRiveraDined on 8/16/2014I took friends for a second time but we felt we were not welcome. The waitress was terrible. We felt that we were in a sales speech rather than in a good restaurant. She felt that our orders were not expensive enough so she didn't pay attention to our table. I will never go back there again!!
- Date Night w my wife and IMoJiggersDined on 8/12/2014In San Diego for a conference, wanted a romantic evening of good seafood and this place fit the bill. The waiter seemed a little rushed, and couldn't answer a couple of basic questions about the wine list (I assumed a place like this would have a sommelier, but it didn't), but he was attentive and didn't ignore us. I was disappointed that they didn't have crab legs that night, but there were a lot of other good choices. The place had a cool, sleek design, reminiscent of dining on a fancy yatch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebratedbronzed2Dined on 8/9/2014Awesome experience for daughters 21 birthday celebration. Excellent food choices for those who do not eat seafood (allergies). 20 oz ribeye was exceptional. side dishes tasted homemade; sour cream mashed potatoes and green beans sauteed with garlic and whole almonds. Coctails were tasty and strong enough do when ice melted you still had a tasty beverage. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedKevinHayfordVIPDined on 8/7/2014We eat at Oceanaire often and unfortunately this time we were disappointed. The crab cakes which are always delicious were soggy and tasteless. I ordered the coho salmon and it was way over cooked, dry and full of bones. While this visit was not up to par, we will return to make sure that it was just a onetime issue.
- 85th BirthdayDennyDined on 8/6/2014Took my father in law to Oceanaire Seafood Room to celebrate his 85th birthday. Service and food were excellent. They presented him with a copy of the menu on which " Happy 85th Birthday" was printed on the top. Very nice touch. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishKinLIDined on 8/2/2014the menu here is ever changing and based on great fresh ingredients - went here for a special ocaision and it was a great night! good food, wine list and great service.Special Features:
- Excellent + Nice TouchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014In addition to the amazing food, it was an overall wonderful experience. This was a group dinner to celebrate an anniversary+ birthday and Oceanaire had specialized menus commemorating the celebration-- a very nice touch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014It was highly recommend for me to go try this place out. Started out happy hour at the bar and the food and service was excellent. As we moved into dinning room, we ordered a steak cooked medium and the halibut. Steak came out med-well, fish still raw and cold in the center. Server took our food back and brought my steak back saying it is prep med. I sliced it all up and it's even worst. It's well done. Never had a server take food away and brought it back to tell me that I'm wrong. Very disappointed. I would not recommend dinning there to anyone. Only happy hour.
- Oceanaire excellenceSchmoesKnowMoviesandFood1Dined on 7/26/2014Had to plan a somewhat last minute big group dinner during San Diego Comic-Con on a Saturday and OpenTable and The Oceanaire Seafood Room were a winning team to make it happen. Dinner was great. Noah at Oceanaire was a great, professional server that helped facilitate a smooth "big group" dinner. The General Manager Phil placed a courtesy follow-up call to me the next day to make sure we had a great time. We will definitely make this spot a yearly tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightReneeDined on 7/26/2014Date night with my hubby at oceaniare was fun! We enjoyed our appetizers and dinner. I think it was a little bit over priced and I also think the Valle parking was expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston Oceonaire is betterMErcyMEDined on 7/26/2014The food was nicely done but no big kick . Wine list good and the seafood relatively fresh but I think was expensive overall for something that is only good, not great. Compared to Boston Oceonaire, i would not go back to the one in San Diego if I had to choose another Oceonaire restaurant. One thing was the Baked Alaskan, they brought to the table with the flames nearly gone already. The one in Boston, they dont put flames on it yet till it's on your table, the server said the policy is different and the two are competing.Special Features:
- Love this placeTheHubVIPDined on 7/22/2014I have dinned at Ocean Air Seafood several times and I have always had great meals. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. I love the whole fish (Angry) very moist, great flavor with some kick! My other favorite is the Yellow Tail (Dynamite). Great place I will definitely dine again.Special Features:
- Gas Lamp Seafood ExtravaganzaTimCVIPDined on 7/21/2014We ordered the chilled seafood sampler for two as an appetizer....OMG. It was presented beautifully...really made a statement, and folks at other table kept looking at it. It was a very generous sampling of shrimp, oysters, crab legs and lobster....with a large assortment of sauces. You could make a meal of it. Our scallop entrees where great, but we were so full we had to take have of them home. A nice selection of wines by the glass complemented each course.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Reasonable prices. Everyone was so friendly and knowledgeable about the food. You never had to ask for anything because they were on top of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OceanaireBigdaveDined on 7/19/2014An excellent menu; professional service and a solid wine list all you would expect from a top tier restaurant. Crab cakes with a healthy portion of crab and sweet tender scallops. The only glitch was the lobster which was a little under cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- End of the lineMGA084Dined on 7/18/2014After 7 great years in San Diego, this was to be my wife and my last date night in San Diego before we were to move back to the SF Bay Area for my job. It was a good choice for a last dining experience in town. The hostess seated us quickly, the drinks were good and our waiter was excellent. Food was very good (I pre-ordered the 2-lb. lobster) including the baked Alaska they brought as a complimentary dessert for our farewell to San Diego. We are going to miss it very much but have determined that we will be coming back when I do retire. So stay open!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Dinner & a Special CrowdStampwifeDined on 7/18/2014This was my second visit to Oceanaire. The first time it was a weeknight and the restaurant wasn't crowded. The second time it was a Friday night and they were having an advertised special - 2 lb lobsters at a good price - and the place was packed and noisy. The visit started with a long wait. Despite the expected busy, there was only one poor valet who probably ran a marathon before the night was over. Our reservation was honored and we were seated promptly. The service was decent, but the lobster was overcooked. The people next to us complained and sent theirs back. We enjoyed ours, but it was a but chewy. Appetizer portions are small, dessert portions are large. It remains an expensive place to eat if you like fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two lb. Lobster DealpokerdonnaDined on 7/18/2014I must say I was excited to get this deal it is not often that I indulge in lobster due to the high price. But this deal was quantity, the quality was a bit dissappointing as it was tough and chewy. With that being said the service was excellent I would love to go back and try again!Special Features:
- ExcellentGreatVIPDined on 7/15/2014As a downtown infrequent diner, this is a great place when downtown is required. They have valet parking, an attentive maître d , excellent selections, attentive waiters and really excellent dining choices. Very few fish restaurants have the meat selections offered here if you really don't want fish. The side dishes are excellent as well. We use this whenever we need to meet a visitor downtown.Special Features:
- Great experience!fredmarianneDined on 7/13/2014Our trip from Phoenix would not have been complete without dinner at the Oceanside Seafood Room. The oyster selections (4) were wonderful. We had one of each with pre-dinner wine. Mussels were our appetizers. Delicious and fresh. Wife had Chesapeak Bay crabcakes and loved them. I had the Alaskan King Salmon. We savoured every bite! Sides were mashed potatoes, green beans, and asparagus; all perfectly prepared. Desert was a complimentary Baked Alaska (it was my wifes' birthday). Our server, Eric, was outstanding. He made our evening one to always remember. This was our first visit. And yes, we'll be returning to the Oceanside on our next trip to San Diego!Special Features:
- Excellent San Diego SeafoodJDRLVVIPDined on 7/12/2014A family dinner with good seafood and wine led us to try Oceanside. We were not disappointed. The multiple types of fresh oysters were great. The shrimp grits appetizer rivaled anything I have tasted in New Orleans. All the fish courses were unique and wonderfully fresh and tasty. The wine list was extensive and complimented the meals perfectly. Service was impeccable. A great night and enjoyed by the whole family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Seafood SeafoodChenVIPDined on 7/10/2014Oceanaire Seafood Room is the restaurant I will go every time when I visit San Diego. Cant miss the oyster there. The scallop tasted so good. Also the No 1 favorite food there is crab!!Special Features: