Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
400 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: (619) 858-2277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Reservations Recommended; Thanksgiving - Closed; Christmas Eve - 5-8pm; Christmas Day - Closed; New Years Eve - 5-11pm; New Years Day - 5-11pm Easter sunday - 12pm -8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sean Langlais
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
Holiday Parties at the Oceanaire - An uncommonly tasteful affair. Call for reservations. As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including steak-cut Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole or bluefin tuna. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire. See you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)fit for foodies (89)romantic (88)good for groups (66)notable wine list (61)vibrant bar scene (24)neighborhood gem (23)hot spot (21)late-night find (15)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Disappointed.SBLvisitorDined on 11/24/2014My husband's fish with the drunken sauce (cherries and nuts) was wonderful. My crab cake was blah and the mustard mayonnaise sauce was too spicy for me to consume. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance, skip the frequent dining cardDanSDined on 11/19/2014A very nice restaurant, quiet to moderate for noise, our server was well versed about the menu and made several good suggestions. It would have been nice if he had pointed out both wine lists when seating us. The crab cake appetizer had fishy aftertaste, we didn't finish it. the other comment id regards to the frequent dining program pushed by the server, he neglected to let us know that we would be charged $25 for that experience, I would have avoided that, if informed. That took the wind out of an otherwise nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Disaster - Ice Cold entreesTomdaBombDined on 11/16/2014We booked this place for our anniversary dinner and then it turned out to be a total disaster. When our food came the first time the scallops and both meals were ice cold. We sent the scallops back and they returned them literally 10 minutes later uncooked with ice in the middle of 1 large scallop. The waiter and the manager both had attitudes and told us the kitchen was backed up and then they later referenced they had a large party and they were just overwhelmed. Really an amateur staffed restaurant with mediocre food and snobby attitudes.Special Features:
- Fresh seafoodBSurfinDined on 11/16/2014This is very fresh and tasty seafood from an upscale chain. It is pricey and service can be slow and stuffy. Great wine list - most Reds were 80-150, with many over that range. Sides are extra from entrees, and they have special sauces such as Angry- very hot sauce over the delicate fish. This food is very good but to me is over priced. Valet parking by Ace was $15. Location convenient to the SD convention center and nearby hotels. Good expense account place. I might consider Top of The Market if going for seafood, better value and view. Bar looked exciting however.Special Features:
- Unique SeafoodpaulsuprasDined on 11/12/2014Some very interesting and tasty items on this menu. I had the dynamite Mahi Mahi and the fish was tender and fresh covered in a spicy crab meat that was one of the best if not the best of this type of dish I have ever had. The veggie sides were excellent and creative as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fordDined on 11/8/2014My date and i had the most wonderful time at your restaurant. the perfect date. thank you.Special Features:
- san diego gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014seafood was special and so was the steak. Canadian lobster was delicious. very attentive service that was always on target.Special Features:
- A San Diego favorite of mine!HoogenrDined on 11/8/2014The service, food and drinks are uncompromising. We had a party of four and all ordered different entrees. We couldn't decide which one was better.The oysters were fresh, still tasting as if they been harvested right outside rather than flown in from all over the country. We will return there on our next trip. It is pricey, but worth it.Special Features:
- Good place for food and businessdemianencoDined on 11/4/2014Expectations were high and Oceanaire delivered good food, great service and perfect place to have good business and conversations.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I spent our 31st Anniversary here. The food was incredible, cocktails divine and the service was exquisite! The menu is printed daily and ours was headlined with "Happy 31st Anniversary!". My husband said that the oysters were the freshest he's ever had. We'll be back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food service vibe all was greatjcdcDined on 11/1/2014we were there for our aniversary. Eric our server knew his stuff made us feel at home. Food was so good. service was great they were there when needed. One my best resturant experiences ever. Came back 2 hrs later for complimentry dessert Ron at the bar and another guy dont know his name made that also a great time. cant wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect experienceMandrew333Dined on 10/28/2014This was my wife and I's first time at Oceanaire. We went for her birthday and we were not disappointed. The ambiance was great and the food was incredible. Our server, Ted, made the while experience. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as always!TandTDined on 10/28/2014Really great meal, wonderful food and attentive but unobtrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Anniversary Dinner ExperienceDavidColgateDined on 10/25/2014I was looking for a place that my wife wanted to celebrate a special date at and picked Oceanaire! It was all that we hoped it would be and our services was supreme. Several times wait staff came out of their way to come over and wish us a Happy Anniversary and that special touch was very much appreciated. I had called down to the resturant the day before and got some tips on how to make our celebration special. They printed us a souvenir menu with our special day/date and names on it and my wife and I loved it.Special Features:
- Fresh seafoodTessieDined on 10/24/2014The fish was excellent & the staff very willing to prepare it to your tasteSpecial Features:
- Decor and FoodDeevhDined on 10/23/2014The Decor in the entry and bar is nice and upscale, the dining room decor was bland. Banquet seating chairs, and table clothes too short so you could see the legs of the table next to you. Seemed like there were more folks at the bar than in the dining room. As for the menu, it was nicely appointed, but nothing special about it. Being a local, I am particular about where I eat. Ambiance and seating is important, but food preparation, presentation and taste are extremely important. The meals at our table were not notable for the price.Special Features:
- As Always.............bigmattVIPDined on 10/23/2014Wonderful dining experience, very gracious and attentive waitperson, Cynthia. Very patient with our settling on a wine selection. Twin lobster tail special is what attracted me; great value for only $39.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/19/2014Took Took out of town guest for dinner. Fish was fresh, properly prepared and delicious. My swordfish dynamite was great, filet and lobster tail excellent and my wife's sushi grade ahi was terrific. Huge desserts were also quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And you are?keeneyeDined on 10/19/2014We have dined at Oceanaire in Minneapolis many times. (Great Experience) Thought San Diego would be comparable but it was very disappointing. Our server seemed very rushed and inattentive. The parties on both sides of us were offered a sample from the Chefs tasting menu. We were not offered anything. The manager greeted many tables around us. We were not even acknowledged. Swordfish was dry and overcooked, coffee was cool, and the baked Alaska tasted of kerosene because the 151 rum was not burnt off all the way. Lack of hospitality and quality very disappointing for this class of restaurant.
- Romantic and AttentiveCatluvsoystersDined on 10/18/2014Booked same day reservations, on the hunt for some oysters. Which they defintely had along with a great wine selection. Noted it was my bday and they defintely made it a great bday dinner for me. Will defintely be back next time I'm in San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic spot!!KellyDined on 10/18/2014I had the best swordfish of my life. Prepared to perfection. My husband had the lobster tails. Everything was perfect. Would highly recommend this restaurant for good fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mesjmaDined on 10/18/2014Superb seafood. A bit noisy, and table too close to bar, but an overall enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Dinnerfamof5Dined on 10/18/2014Great food, atmosphere, and service. We were celebrating our family, being together, and especially celebrating our kids and their continued achievements in life. We had a great dinner and it was a very special evening. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best seafood restaurantsDateNightCoupleDined on 10/14/2014Had a business group for dinner. Everything from appetizer to salads to entrees were outstanding. Really awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but poor coordinationLKJCDined on 10/13/2014On the night we visited this finely oiled machine had sand in the gears. Our loquacious server did an extended spiel about the flexibility of the menu choices that are very interesting. However the wrong salad and a bad glass of wine were delivered and quickly replaced when we alerted the staff. For 20 minutes after the salad was cleared the server kept telling us that our main course would arrive soon, but by the 3rd 5 minute interval it became a joke. We ordered Creme Brulee for desert and after 10 minutes the server came back and apologized since the kitchen was short handed and failed to prepare the Creme Brulee for that entire evening but never alerted the servers. The dishes we tasted were great, we hope our next visit is better.Special Features:
- Food and Service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The service was wonderful! I made reservations on-line and made a comment that it was our anniversary. They greater us by name, congratulated us and handed us our menu with Happy Anniversary printed on the top. The waiter helped us select our meal. The food was extremely good. We were given a complementary desert, which was a little over the top and the taste suffered because of that. However, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JbtequilaDined on 10/11/2014My fish order,(sea bass) was a bit over cooked and dry. I was expecting a much juicier seared piece. Also the service was not what I expected. The wait for the appetizer, the main course and surprisingly, the bill was much too long. The overall atmosphere and ambience was good and our waiter seemed to be a very nice man. I won't say that it was a bad experience, but I also won't say that it was that good based on the prices.Special Features:
- A San Diego favoriteSymilarianDined on 10/7/2014So many touristy seafood restaraunts in San Diego make this a real find. This is one of the few fine dining seafood restaurants in San Diego County. Bon ApititeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful experience!MichaelVIPDined on 10/5/2014From the welcoming smiles to the smart decor to the great service and especially to the wonderful food, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Oceanaire. Oysters Rockefeller, jumbo shrimp, swordfish - all well prepared and presented. Wayne, our waiter, was attentive and helpful, as well as engaging in his small talk. We recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- GaryDined on 10/5/2014Great food and outstanding staff! Staff really goes the extra mile to please customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodgoodDined on 10/3/2014Very good, our service could have been a little better. We were waiting to pay forever. The food was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shannon19Dined on 10/3/2014We have gone to Oceanaire many times and it is consistently good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014We always love the Oceanaire! Such good food and the service was great. Our experience was detailed with a personalized menu, recognizing our Anniversary and then give back to us at the end of the meal, rolled up, in a ribbon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect!ThatsthefactJackDined on 10/3/2014Took my wife here on Friday nite as I had been to one in Orlando and thought it was outstanding. Well, she loved it, too! The Dynamite Mahi was amazing, melt in your mouth succulent. We had the swordfish too but weren't blown away - too dry for our liking. Crab cake was all lump and phenomanol. We had no idea it was restaurant week and they had a lot of selections on the preset menu it was impressive. But, unfortunately, this was why the waiter had a "turn and burn" mentality and his attention was lacking. The busboy was in a dumpy mood & had a smirk on his face whenever he came by...the hostesses were accommodating and nice. Despite the service being so so the food was truly outstanding and we'll go back and would recommend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVacation4lifeDined on 10/2/2014Always amazing food & service! Always fresh, perfect temperature, service above & beyond & overall ambience perfect every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love those Oysters!DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2014I am so happy we decided to go to Oceanaire during restaurant week! Plus we got there early so we sat at the Oyster bar during that wonderful happy hour - the Fanny Bay oysters were the best! The food was delicious, although I do wish the crab cakes were made from dungeness instead of blue crabs. Very nice place to bring family from out of town. Proportions and variety for Restaurant Week were quite large, and we left happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodFoodieDined on 10/1/2014Came here during restaurant week. Food options were great and the service was wonderful. The food was amazing. Would definitely come here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great little throwback...PickyDinerSDDined on 9/30/2014This was a pretty classic restaurant. Truthfully, I have expected a small swing quartet to strike up a song, or for the Rat Pack to wander in. The decour does a wonderful job of invoking a sense of older times without seeming dated, and the food was just as fresh and interesting as any other restaurant in the GasLamp, and extraordinarily good. The portions were modest, but frankly, with good food, too much is really too much. The service was prompt and definitely worth 5 stars, being a bit over-attentive at times but never pushy, and it didn't negatively affect my enjoyment of the meal. In fact, we sat at our table chatting for a solid hour or so after the meal was over, but never got a dirty look or a comment.Special Features:
- Great for restaurant week!EtonnanteDined on 9/30/2014I love coming to this restaurant - the fresh fish, delicious food, awesome service... I especially like Restaurant Week here as they still use their normal menu (instead of a sad prix fixe that is sometimes barely a shade of what the real menu is like at other participating restaurants) so it is a great deal! Still great food and service at this restaurant, even during that busy week.Special Features:
- Special concert, special dinnerAuntKatieDined on 9/28/2014Really looking forward to a fab dinner before the Paul McCartney concert. Booked table for two online after calling every Gaslamp restaurant. All were booked, but Oceanaire had a 5:30pm. Thought that was a fluke, so I called them. Host said they were fully booked. We arrived on time, expecting to wait -- but were seated immediately. Booths were full, but the floor was empty. Wonder why they said "no" to a 5:30pm? Probably lost a few turns that evening. Our waiter admonished us that they expected a rush, so we should order right away. Then he left and didn't come back for ages! Rarely came by during our meal (which was excellent) and couldn't wait to rush us off. Poor service, lovely space, good food. Our waiter was a bummer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.