Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
400 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6198582277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Reservations Recommended; Thanksgiving - Closed; Christmas Eve - 5-8pm; Christmas Day - Closed; New Years Eve - 5-11pm; New Years Day - 5-11pm Easter sunday - 12pm -8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sean Langlais
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
Holiday Parties at the Oceanaire - An uncommonly tasteful affair. Call for reservations. As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including steak-cut Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole or bluefin tuna. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire. See you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)romantic (99)fit for foodies (88)notable wine list (68)good for groups (63)vibrant bar scene (38)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (22)late-night find (15)scenic view (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Special concert, special dinnerAuntKatieDined on 9/28/2014Really looking forward to a fab dinner before the Paul McCartney concert. Booked table for two online after calling every Gaslamp restaurant. All were booked, but Oceanaire had a 5:30pm. Thought that was a fluke, so I called them. Host said they were fully booked. We arrived on time, expecting to wait -- but were seated immediately. Booths were full, but the floor was empty. Wonder why they said "no" to a 5:30pm? Probably lost a few turns that evening. Our waiter admonished us that they expected a rush, so we should order right away. Then he left and didn't come back for ages! Rarely came by during our meal (which was excellent) and couldn't wait to rush us off. Poor service, lovely space, good food. Our waiter was a bummer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done!BurlingtonBayDined on 9/27/2014Good and service were top notch - simply decadent. Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Extraordinaire!!JeanieBDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I chose Oceanaire to celebrate our anniversary! Wow, were we impressed. The level of customer service is over the top! We got there early so had a drink in the bar which was totally fun to watch the assembly of the amazing shellfish platters. They were super busy but everyone was friendly and the service was very efficient. We informed the restaurant that we were celebrating our anniversary but didn't' expect to have our names printed on our menu. Very nice touch!! Beautiful dining atmosphere. Classy but not stuffy! Can't say enough about the crab cake appetizer! Delicious!! Rockfish Louis entree was outstanding! The key lime pie is amazing. Highly recommend Oceanaire. They made our anniversary extra special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Took my gf here for a date night dinner and it was fantastic. Ken was our waiter and he was very knowledgable and had great recommendations. Will be coming back to the restaurant for special occasions. Too expensive, for me, to be a frequent spot but worth every penny. Crab cakes and calimari apps are great. We had the mahi mahi and swordfish and both were fantastic. For dessert we had some cheesecake and some cookies, couldn't have been a better meal. The wine selection is astounding and ken recommended a wine that went perfect with both of our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ValueRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 9/27/2014Oceanaire was on our Restaurant Week list. First time at Oceanaire, but was very impressed on all fronts. Service was impeccable and Mike was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and offered excellent suggestions. The crab cakes were amazing, even got some to go. More Crab and less cake, with excellent texture and taste. The entrees were prepared very well and generous in size. Wine list is extensive with a very good selection by the glass. The oversized booths were comfortable, private and had plenty of elbow room for all. Plenty of staff, nothing was overlooked and none of the glasses ever got less than half full. A great meal and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing..frenchfan8VIPDined on 9/26/2014This was our first time eating at the restaurant and had always wanted to try it. The famous crab cake was very wet and mushy, not sure it was bake long enough or what. Entree, the salmon, was just OK. Service was very good.
- San Diego Restuarant WeekTropicaleVIPDined on 9/26/2014Went during Restuarant Week. Had a great meal at a great price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We had the best server Sean and the whole experience was great. Service was AMAZING and the food was even better!! Would go back in heart beat.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekESmith1Dined on 9/25/2014They offer a very generous menu compared to most for restaurant week and don't change the quality of food and service. Sean was an awesome server and helped us pick the perfect wine. Will be back to have the amazing salmon and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/25/2014We went to Oceanaire with neighbors .. we live in downtown San Diego and had wanted to try Oceanaire on Restaurant Week to get a better deal. All the restaurants seem to have moved to $45 prix fixe which are not as good a deal as past Restaurant Week offers, and not as good as specials or Groupons they run. Oceanaire allowed a good subset of their standard menu as selections for the prix fixe, but many interesting dishes were excluded. Wine "pairing" and coffee ran the bill up substantially to where Restaurant Week at Oceanaire was no longer a good deal. There are a lot of good restaurants and some great restaurants in San Diego. Locals are always testing where they want to be regulars. Food was good, service was very good.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysSmartiDined on 9/25/2014have not eaten here in years but Oceanaire did not disappoint! while I had to get my favorite stuffed sole, it paled next to my spouse's Kid Dynamite: perfectly cooked Mahi Mahi with a spicy crab crust - absolutely delicious!!! our waiter was great, friendly but not obsequious, knowledgeable and efficient. my only criticism is that earlier in the evening when the restaurant was not yet full, the music was overly loud and rather imposed on intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service, To Die For FoodgypsygirlDined on 9/24/2014Our server, Kenneth, was attentive, helpful, friendly and said everything with a smile! He made our dining experience that much better. I've been here two other times, so I knew that the food would be absolutely delicious, and this visit lived up to what I remember. The fresh oysters were fresh, the crab cakes of course was on point, all of our entrees (as there were 4 of us) were absolutely heavenly as were our desserts, but specifically the homemade NY cheesecake. Great place for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fan FaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014If you love seafood, then Oceanaire Seafood Room should be at the top of your list. I love this restaurant and getting it at such a bargain makes it even better. Thank you for always raising the bar in quality and excellence.Special Features:
- Freshest of FishNotacookVIPDined on 9/23/2014A Fabulous Restaurant Week . The portions were so generous, the service at it's best, and the food outstanding. Asked for the fish medium well, and it was perfect. The sorbet trio was the best dessert. Upon arriving asked for a table in the corner since there were large parties around, no problem, accommodated us to a perfect table. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafoodLove2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014We went for restaurant week. This is a great deal as my entree would have been the same price as the $45 for restaurant week. I ordered a wedge salad (I tried the spinach salad with their balsamic dressing and it was much better), the drunken salmon and the key lime pie. The drunken salmon was the best salmon I have ever had. It was amazing. The key lime pie was good. The cheesecake was dry...I wouldn't recommend it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/22/2014I've dined here many times and consider it to be a very good consistent restaurant. A place I will bring my customers to enjoy a fresh quality meal. We went during restaurant week but ordered off the main menu. The food was wonderful as always BUT the service was fair at best. I don't like to complain but they were under staffed for restaurant week. I needed to repeatedly ask other staff members to get our server to move on with our meal. It took over 3 hours for a party of 8 to complete the meal. The server was friendly when he was with us which unfortunately wasn't enough.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014I've been here several times but felt obligated to write this time based on the great food and service. Our waiter did a heck of a job! this is a must for great seafood and service.Special Features:
- first time here reviewfirsttimer1821Dined on 9/20/2014Servers are amazing. Food is delicious. Defiantly on the pricey side but the experience was worth the price. The GM called me a day later wanting to make sure everything went okay since it was our first time. That sure is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oceanaire just okayRobjonDined on 9/19/2014My swordfish was excellently prepared! Greatest disappointment is that Oceanaire does not have a view of the ocean.Special Features:
- ExcellenttombirdDined on 9/18/2014We found the atmosphere, service and food to be magnificent. This is an elegant place to dine and the food is sublime, tasty and satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Staff & FoodTK25Dined on 9/15/2014The ambiance and the food was great. The staff went all out to help us celebrate a special birthday. Your name gets typed on the menu along with Birthday Wishes. It was a wow factor. It's well worth it.Special Features:
- Great seafood dining experienceAZDinersDined on 9/13/2014Elegant but comfortable atmosphere; most of the patrons were dressed very casually. There was an extensive selection of fresh oysters that were available a la carte. The dozen we ordered were fresh, cold and came with a cheat sheet. We both ordered Alaskan halibut with the Louis preparation with fresh crab meat. The fish was fresh, expertly prepared, as was the crab. Just outstanding. Our server, Cindy was great, knowledgeable, friendly and professional. Neither dismissive nor intrusive. Save room for dessert. The Key Lime pie and the cheesecake were both excellent, big enough to share but we couldn't agree on just one. Large wine and cocktail selection. Not cheap but we both were totally satisfied.Special Features:
- Service amazingBeliDined on 9/13/2014Mike our server explained the menu in depth to us and enthusiastically. The shark was amazing. The shrimp to start came with a mustard tasting sauce if you don't like mustard, but the shrimp alone were meaty and delicious. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodJoeinColoradoVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great seafood, great service, we'll be back. Great waiter with great suggestions and a fun attitude, a true professional.Special Features:
- Old fashioned elegancenonameVIPDined on 9/7/2014Always so nice to dine at Oceanaire, and this celebration of my husband's birthday was no exception. Everything about it is wonderful -- the ambiance, the service, the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be great...greatItaly1Dined on 9/6/2014This is our second time visiting this restaurant. The first time, quality was excellent, staff was knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Prices are steep but expected in an upscale restaurant with fine quality. This second visit was not a good one. The calamari, one of our faves, was dry and way overcooked, the pasta was lukewarm and the waiter was not allergy knowledgeable nor did it seem the chefs were either. They were very special event friendly as we were celebrating a 60th anniversary and did special menus and a special dessert. Needless to say, with all the competition in the Gaslamp district of San Diego, we will look elsewhere for our seafood fix.Special Features:
- Great experienceJohnDined on 9/5/2014We had six and the waiter was fantastic, food excellent and a round table was prefix for exclusive conversation. Great night.
- LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!RitaDined on 8/30/2014FANTASTIC from start to finish! My boyfriend and I came for our birthdays- They put our names on our menus with a Happy Birthday to each of us- our waitress Cary (Carie?) was fantastic! I have particular food needs and they met every one without any problem. My tuna was perfect- ruby red and sweet -(no "fishy" taste at all). My boyfriend's swordfish was fantastic (and I usually dislike that type of fish - but here it was excellent). Wonderful side dishes, salad appetizers - and a nice apple crumb cake with excellent vanilla bean ice cream as our birthday gift from the restaurant. We were happy campers and we eat at a lot of fine dining restaurants all over Southern CA and this is on our list as one of the BEST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUtstanding meal at OceanaireDineDined on 8/30/2014Service was excellent- our server was attentive and friendly; offered suggestions for our meal. We did not feel rushed between courses. The food was outstanding- perfect proportions; food was fresh, hot; good presentation. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014If not the best Crab Cakes I have ever had they are in the running!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood successcolomomDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed dining here upon recommendation from a friend. Took a recommendation from the waiter on one entrée with their unique preparations, which was completely worth the trust. They worked with us on the other to swap out the application of sauce and it worked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinnesotaMVPDined on 8/26/2014Best Crab Cakes in the world. Also very good seafood and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The food was excellent and our waiter's recommendations were spot on...as was his personality and demeanor. His name was Sean, and he did an outstanding job making our dinner very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findFoodieDined on 8/23/2014The food was great. We both had whitefish, prepared by one of the chef creations of the night. We both felt our dishes were amazing. We paired our fish with the Brussels sprouts and au gratin potatoes. The service was also great. We happened to order what the server recommended, and we were not disappointed. The price is what you would expect from a higher end restaurant, around 100$/person (wine, no dessert). If I am to be a critic...the only area that I could criticize would be the table seating arrangement. The seating is arranged almost family style around the inside perimeter of the dining area. Reservations are definitely recommended and it would be worth the time to request private seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/21/2014We had been told this was THE place to go for great seafood, but our experience was the complete opposite. Caesar salad had an odd taste, asparagus looked like tree stalks and tasted like it. My wife had the shrimp scampi linguine featuring overcooked shrimp, dry pasta, and angel hair rather than linguine. This place was supposed to be "Off the Hook" but never made it. Extremely over-priced for the lack luster food and ambiance. Dress code varied from beach bum gear to high fashion. The overall experience was confusing and very disappointing. Don't waste your money.
- Wonderful diningluluDined on 8/21/2014We went for my birthday. It was wonderful in all ways, food, ambiance, and service, it is pricy but wot hit. Their crab cakes are wonderful as was the swordfish and the cold shellfish platter. We also had the basic mixed green salad which was quite large but very basic. We also shared a baked Alaska which was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ServiceclrhoVIPDined on 8/20/2014We ate from the Happy Hour and Full Menu after 9pm. The ceviche was more than enough for one person.Special Features:
- OverpricedsanmonDined on 8/18/2014Very expensive for average quality prepared halibut. Over cooked and smothered in a Parmesan sauce. Service above reproach.
- Terrible service !!!UlysesRiveraDined on 8/16/2014I took friends for a second time but we felt we were not welcome. The waitress was terrible. We felt that we were in a sales speech rather than in a good restaurant. She felt that our orders were not expensive enough so she didn't pay attention to our table. I will never go back there again!!
- Date Night w my wife and IMoJiggersDined on 8/12/2014In San Diego for a conference, wanted a romantic evening of good seafood and this place fit the bill. The waiter seemed a little rushed, and couldn't answer a couple of basic questions about the wine list (I assumed a place like this would have a sommelier, but it didn't), but he was attentive and didn't ignore us. I was disappointed that they didn't have crab legs that night, but there were a lot of other good choices. The place had a cool, sleek design, reminiscent of dining on a fancy yatch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.